18 | just friends

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

❝ You're going to get heartbroken either way. It's never too early or too late to take that first step, but trust is important even then. I think he does trust you, a lot ❞

🎼

C H A P T E R E I G H T E E N

KEVIN HEARS HIS HEARTBEAT DRUM IN HIS EARS, slowly getting louder, looking at Changmin staring at him with an intimate fondness glistening in his chocolate eyes.

Kevin stumbles back and averts his gaze to the floor when Changmin props an arm against the wall above his shoulder and leans forward.

"I think I said this before, but you have stars sparkling in your eyes when you smile," he whispers in his ear, moving back, and grins as Kevin raises his head to lock eyes with him. Changmin reaches out to gently caress his hickory locks. Kevin blinks. Mind empty, face growing hot at the small gesture of affection.

Kevin certainly shouldn't let his heart take over after everything, but his hand extends out anyway and clasps the boy's arm. "Don't," he whispers, voice fragile. "I don't want another love story in my life, at least not yet. "

Changmin's hands move to cradle Kevin's face, and he steps closer, taking in his flushed face and mocha eyes glistening with pools of hot tears.

The distance between them shortens so they can hear each other, and listening to each other breathing somehow reduces the tension surging through his veins besides the heavy rain.

"I'm not him and never will be. I'm sorry for making you remember something bad, but I want you to know that the past doesn't define you, Kevin, " a pause, " You deserve better."

"I guess I fall too hard and let myself be vulnerable around people I love," Kevin says with a bittersweet smile.

"Then fall hard again. I'll catch you."

"You know how to make me smile, don't you?"

Changmin wipes away the tears streaming down Kevin's cheeks with the sleeves of his shirt. A jocund beam spreads across his face as the aspiring pianist chuckles under his breath.

"You're right. The past doesn't define me."

. . .

KEVIN KNOWS HE'S LYING FROM THE WAY HE REACTS TO CHANGMIN. It's probably his emotions taking over because of how kind the boy has been to him despite the changes.

It's Changmin.

He's not around him as he used to be, and he's quiet—but bold at the same time, not letting his affection for the boy go unnoticed. Kevin has noticed it. Kevin has seen how Changmin is a little more protective and knows the right words to comfort him.

What makes Kevin scared is that Changmin knows how to make him flustered and reminds him of his past that it's a lesson, not a definite time with no chances to start over.

Kevin props an arm on the pillow and rolls over, looking at Changmin asleep beside him, and a ghost of a smile traces his lips while recalling his words. But one thing hasn't changed. Kevin's trust for Changmin.

Kevin decides to sleep as a yawn escapes his mouth. His gaze doesn't leave Changmin'. Mind lost in the galaxy of his thoughts. The tirednes and confusion pull him to sleep.

The sun wakes up with thunderstorms rolling through the sky, and sunlight streams into the bedroom, but Kevin is still asleep. Changmin can't help but admire his bed hair and the pout twisting on his lips. Kevin usually is the first awake, but today isn't that day.

The alarm on his phone blares, jolting him awake. He locks eyes with the boy beside him.

"What time is it? Why didn't you wake me up?"

"If I woke you up, you wouldn't get enough rest. And you're not getting coffee."

"Wait, how do you possibly know I drink too much coffee?"

"I'm Jacob's brother. Of course, I know."

Kevin doesn't say anything after that and begins to slide out of bed, feeling a hand grasp his arm. He glances over his shoulder to meet eyes with the dancer. "What is it?" He says, raising his brows in concern.

"The dance club and the music club are holding a music festival at the beach tonight," Changmin slides out of bed and stands in front of Kevin. "I didn't know if you're busy or wanted to join, but it would be fun if you could and got some fresh air. I know things have been chaotic lately."

"Are you suggesting to walk on the beach together?"

"Yeah," Changmin breathes a laugh with a smile spreading across his face.

"I'd like that. I want to see the sunset, too." Kevin immediately freezes, realizing the words he just said, and he's terrified that he must have said something out of the blue. Changmin takes a step forward, and Kevin takes a step back until his back meets the wall, heart hammering in his chest under his gaze.

"Do you know what the meaning of the sunset is?" Changmin's voice is dangerously soft. "The universe made you because you are unique and amazing. Don't let the past hold onto you, moon."

"You always know what to say to make me smile. You know that, right?"

"You know you've told me this many times?"

"I'll keep telling you because you're doing a great job at it that it makes me mad, wondering how I'll survive when you're not there, and I hate that I have become used to relying on you being there by my side—" tears stream down from the rim of his mocha eyes.

"Are you done?" Changmin cuts him off. He gingerly holds his face and looks at him with soft warmth glimmering in his chocolate eyes. "I'm not going anywhere. Not now. Not ever. Not when you're the reason I stopped hating myself. I'll kiss you If you don't stop talking."

The tears stop. The pianist inhales in a heavy breath, blinking again like a deer caught in the headlights. "What did you just say?"

"I mean it this time. I'll kiss you if you don't stop talking, Kevin."

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro