43 | Tini's TMZ Moment

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

SILENCE. No one clapped for me when I emerged through the curtains. A thin strand of coldness slithered through my bones. It was so quiet that I swore I could hear my own heart thrashing in my esophagus. I didn't like this already.

Peering around, the audient captured my attention first. They took up the whole back wall, at least two hundred people, and hid in the shadows, faces blurred. All the stage lights shined at the front area, omitting the back area, which left only enough residue for me to see the audience's individual body outlines, nothing more.

Just looking at the shadowy ghost-like figures made my stomach hurt. I caught one of them moving, which brought on the most intense unknown feeling ever. It felt like a punch to the ovaries, times ten.

Something was wrong — something in the audience wasn't right. I could feel it, but I couldn't explain it. The darkness within me diminished a bit, the intense emotions eating away at it like a poisonous caterpillar on a fresh leaf.

You're afraid. Am not. It's just.... I can feel something. You feel it too. Something with the audience. I know. I do feel it. I know exactly what it is too. What?

It's mother.

Mother? I froze.

She's dead. Is she? We've both been thinking of the possibility of her being alive. Don't lie. Even so, so what? I don't fear her. Hahaha, yeah okay. Then, why did you create me? Because you couldn't totally deal. Fuck you.

I stared into the audience, analyzing the shadowy shapes. None of them were her. She was dead, but this game continued to just throw her in my face. But still, that feeling of her....

A sharp pain electrocuted my scalp, sending waves down my body. With every wave, I could feel myself — the darkness, getting lighter, slowly sinking into the familiar depths that I hated. It took all my strength to stop myself from going fully under — to not disappear again. I didn't want to go back.

You need too. You caused enough trouble, and you can't deal. Yes, I can. No, you can't. No, I will do this.

Shuddering away the intensity and cutting off the internal conversation, I peered around, taking in the immaculate set, liking the dark orchid and black décor. Multiple televisions hung from the ceiling on the sides, and cameramen crowded in front of the set, equipment zeroing in on me.

With large lights and microphones hanging over him, Jookie lounged on a long black sofa in the middle of the stage. He had a microphone in his hand, and a grin on his face. A purple neon sign with the words, "Jookie Talk" plastered the wall behind him.

His hand patted the empty seat on the sofa. "Betinia, join me."

I stalked over, blade heels clicking on the hard floors. I flung my hair over my shoulder before sitting down, the effects of my earlier emotions still shifting through me. A soft breath tumbled from my lips, and I crossed my legs, trying to relax.

Jookie clapped several times before grinning, cheekbones high. "Welcome, Betinia! Wave to the cameras. Say hi to the viewers and to your fellow contestants. Everyone's watching."

Fellow contestants? Why were they watching?

"Hi..." I said, eyeing the six cameramen aimed at me.

Jookie scooted closer to me on the sofa, aiming the microphone at my face. "Don't get all shy on us now! How you feeling tonight?"

I stared into the dark crowd, their faces still non-existent. "Alright, I guess."

He clicked his tongue. "You looked more than alright in that cannibalism challenge earlier. We've never seen you get that excited before. The viewers went crazy."

In an instant, a giant flat screen television slid down from the ceiling, hanging only a few feet in front of me. The screen teetered with comments. Some praising me for my dissecting skills while others called me crazy.

Each comment made me relive that delicious experience. My fingers remembered every cut and slice, and the way the organs massaged my skin would forever be burned into my senses.

I panted, shuddering at the intense memories. Oh yes.

"You alright, my little peach?" Jookie arched a brow at me, a knowing smile tugging at his lips.

"Yup," I said, cracking my neck. "Just fine." The various stage lights shining on my skin made me feel hotter than normal, tiny drops of sweat dewing my hairline.

Jookie gave me a sly look, making me feel like a kid who just got caught stealing candy, before continuing. "That last challenge was one of the most watched challenges ever. You set a record, congrats. Viewers loved the way you dissected the body with such.... glee. We've never seen you so happy before."

I got to fulfill a big desire of mine, why wouldn't I be happy. Next on that list was a live body — fresh blood. "Yeah, I had a good time."

"But it didn't end well, did it?" Jookie pouted, pointing the microphone to his mouth. "You worked so hard and had so much fun but still... you lost."

I bared my teeth. "Yeah, that fucking sucked. I shouldn't be in the bottom three because of some stupid weak bitch." My blood pressure rose to high points, heart beating like a wild beast in my chest, temple pounding.

Calm down. No, we could die because of that bitch. Yeah, but she could be watching. So? Do you want her as an enemy? I already choked the bitch — I pretty much think we're off her Christmas card list.

The screen in front of me flickered with comments about me and Layla. Some called me stupid for helping her all the time and for partnering up with her. Others talked about how pathetic and worthless Layla was.

Jookie shrugged. "Well, this is a game and you gotta watch the choices you make. Niceness isn't always a good tactic."

"Oh, fuck you."

"Am I making you mad?" He cocked his head. "You don't like honesty?"

"I don't like you running your mouth about things you don't understand."

The screen flickered again with more comments. Most of them commenting on the back and forth between me and Jookie. They liked it.

Jookie smiled at the screen before pulling out a stack of black cards. "Time to get down to business. We asked viewers to send us questions, and these were the most popular." He looked down at the first card. "How are you enjoying the game so far?"

"You made me crawl through piss and shit and eat human remains," I said, shrugging. "How do you think I feel?"

Jookie cackled. "You have to admit that those challenges were a little fun, right? The piss for the climbing challenge was my idea. Great, right?"

You fucker. I swallowed hobo piss because of you! Ooo, nah. He was going to pay for that somehow.

"Next topic." Jookie shuffled through the cards. "Fans would like to know about your life before the game."

"Nothing special," I said. "Went to school. Had AP classes. Did cheerleading after school. Went to parties sometimes..." Thinking it over, compared to living here, my life was pretty boring before.

"Your life had to be more interesting than that," Jookie said, rolling his eyes. "Who did you live with?"

I didn't like these questions. Too personal, especially with the other contestants watching. I didn't want them to know too much about me, but I felt like after this interview, they'd know a lot. "With my father and my sister."

Tim wasn't blood, but he was my father. He was the  childhood best friend of my real father and didn't hesitate to take us in when our blood family wanted nothing to do with us.

None of my extended family wanted to deal with the publicity of the murders or wanted the hassle of taking care of a troubled girl and her recently asylum-released sister.

Tim didn't care though. Never once did he try to profit or make us feel like a burden. He just treated us like his own daughters.

"Ah your sister," Jookie said, eyes sparkling. "Tell me about her."

"Nothing much to tell, she's older than me. Taller," I said with a shrug.

"Bo-ring." He clapped his hand on his knee. "Give me the juicy deets. You guys didn't get along that much, did you? She probably hated you secretly, right?"

I glared at him. "No. It wasn't like that. Yeah, she found me annoying sometimes, but what older sibling didn't get annoyed by their younger sibling?"

Jookie scooted closer to me, eyes connecting with mine full-on. "Yeah, but what older sibling sets their little sister's room on fire?"

The oxygen filtering to my brain and heart stopped, every fiber in my body numbing. How did he know that? Only a few people knew about that incident.

My left eye twitched, and again I felt myself getting sucked into the depths, becoming like a cloud. Stop it. You can't do this. Watch me.

Taking a huge breath, calming my thumping insides, I narrowed my eyes at the grinning Jookie. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

He laughed. "Really?"

I jumped onto the sofa, knees sinking deep into the suede fabric. My hands crawled along the length, until I was right in his face, only inches away. "Yeah. My sister and I don't have a perfect relationship, and we went through some really intense shit when we were younger. But we love each other, alright?"

Jookie furrowed his forehead, giving me a blank look before retaining his shit-eating grin. "Alright. Let's move on."

I sat back down, pulling my tight dress with me. "Okay."

Jookie put his cards down and picked up the microphone again. "While we're still on the matter of your personal life, didn't you have a boyfriend? Err... Jonathan?"

♟♙♟

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro