22. Chief Justice

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

To go to a judge is to go to justice, for the ideal judge is, so to speak, justice personified. 

Aristotle

Julian looks with curiosity at Chief Justice Dharmayama. Superficially, his appearance is little out of the ordinary. Moderate in height, with waves of glossy black hair to his shoulders, and a lean, rather handsome face. 

What strikes Julian is the Chief Justice's innate dignity, and the sense of power emanating from him. Marcus and Jeannie are mere centuries old – the judge's eyes are filled with such ancient wisdom that Julian is sure he went Forward a thousand years or more ago.

Julian has been told of the judge's brilliant mind, yet can feel nothing cold, distant, or alien about his intelligence. It occurs to Julian that the longer a person remains Forward, the more and more human they become, rather than less and less. 

Nasati Dharmayama gives Julian a direct look for a moment, and it is one of such deep compassion that for the first time, Julian feels utterly certain he will be judged fairly and kindly.

"This assessment room is now in session," says the judge in a resonant, musical voice from which a millennium or two has completely stripped its original accent. "Please, sit down everyone." He seats himself, and rings a bell on his desk to signal the start of proceedings.

Chief Justice Dharmayama turns to the gallery on his left hand side. "I would like to acknowledge the presence of the Council of Waystation Residents," he says courteously. "Who speaks for this Council today?"

A tall man with a thick moustache and pale eyes that seem to gaze into infinity stands up, saying, "I do, Chief Justice. I am Dennis Kay, the Head of this Council. We twelve do promise to watch over this assessment room, and offer all possible assistance to everyone here."

"That's the bloke I was telling you about," Noel whispers to Julian, giving him a nudge. "The one who's going to Earth next week."

"Thank you, Dennis, you may sit down," the judge says, watching as Dennis does so. There is a small pause before the Chief Justice addresses the room as a whole.

"I would like to welcome you all here this morning," he says. "I can see some anxious faces, and would like to assure you of one thing – everyone being assessed today, without exception, will be going Forward."

Julian and Noel look at each other, and an excited chatter buzzes around the room before the Chief Justice continues.

"That's right – everyone will be going Forward. Eventually." He smiles as the room falls silent. "Whether you are to be sent Forward, or Sideways, or even back to Earth today, know that each and every one of you is on the path Forward, and not one person in the Universe can halt your progress. Not even you, and certainly not I."

Julian rolls his eyes to Noel, but as a fellow performer, cannot help but admire Dharmayama's showmanship. He has effortlessly gained everyone's attention, and holds the room in the palm of his hand.

"Sheriff Lucien, can you please tell me who is first on the Case Assessment List?" the judge asks. "We've got a lot to get through today."

"I call Mrs Margaret Rose Atkins, your Honour," shouts the Sheriff, and Margaret and her Case Worker come down for the assessment.

Julian watches with interest, but Margaret's assessment is over in only five minutes. Her Case Worker gives a short speech about Margaret's virtues, the judge reads through her file and asks a few questions, before saying, "Mrs Atkins, I am pleased to inform you that you will be going Forward today, and believe you will make a worthy addition to those hosts who have gone before you."

As Margaret exclaims in shocked delight over the decision, Julian watches carefully to see the judge glance over at Dennis, who gives a nod of approval. That seems to be the rubber stamp that Jeannie spoke of.

Very few cases are that brief and uncomplicated. The next one is so tediously convoluted that Julian stops listening after a while. He opens his briefcase (6-6-6, it's easy to remember at least) to get his medicine, and takes out pens and paper. He and Noel end up passing each other notes and playing games of tic-tac-toe and hangman to while away the weary morning.

There is a recess at 1 pm, and they get the lift down to the canteen on the ground floor to have lunch. This time the Muzak in the lift is Knockin' on Heaven's Door.

Julian and Marcus line up at one counter to get the food, while Noel and Jeannie join the queue at another for their drinks.

Julian and Marcus are the first to be served and find a table. As they put down their trays of sandwiches, salads, and a fruit platter, Marcus asks, "So how are you going so far? Feeling less nervous now you've seen how the assessments work?"

"Yes, but I'll probably get more nervous again as my assessment approaches," Julian replies, sitting down.

Just then an attractive dark haired woman in a white and navy uniform approaches Marcus, saying, "Excuse me, may I have a word for one moment?"

"Julian, this is my assistant, Eleanor Garcia," Marcus says, introducing them. "Eleanor has been of invaluable help in preparing your case."

"It's so nice to meet you in person, Julian," Eleanor says with a wide smile. She still has a noticeable American accent. "I've been so fascinated by everything in your file!"

"Um, thank you," Julian says, rather bemused, as Marcus and Eleanor go off to have what appears to be a very intense discussion in one corner, Eleanor excitedly showing Marcus various documents.

When Marcus returns, he has the deeply satisfied look of someone who has just solved a very challenging cryptic crossword. "Sorry about that, Julian. Eleanor had some crucial information for me."

"Was it about my case?"

Marcus smiles as he sits down. "I am not permitted to say."

"Oh, alright," Julian says. "So, is Eleanor a Case Worker too?"

"Not yet, but she will be after working as an assistant for long enough," Marcus says. "Like an apprenticeship. Ah, here's Jeannie and Noel."

Noel has a jug of sparkling water, and another that looks like cider, while Jeannie has their glasses.

"Really long queue for drinks," Noel says, putting the jugs down. "I think more people are drinking than eating."

"I'm not sure I can have cider," Julian says doubtfully. "Mary told me to be careful with my diet."

"This will do you no harm," Jeannie says. "It's not like on Earth. Alcohol won't make you drunk or sick here."

"Try a glass," Marcus suggests. "It makes people feel cheerful. That's why everyone's drinking it before their assessment."

Julian sips tentatively, half expecting to be on an instant high, but the cider's effects are subtle. After half a glass, he doesn't feel much more than mildly optimistic about the future.

"How have you found the assessments, Noel?" Marcus asks him.

"Margaret went Forward, and I wasn't able to say goodbye to her," Noel complains, beginning on a roast chicken and mango chutney sandwich. "She was so sweet to me when I first got to my hotel, it was like having my nana there, and then I couldn't even hug her or anything. I called out to her, but that Lucien bloke told me sit down and be quiet."

"I know it must seem a bit unfair, but can you imagine how long the day would go on for if every case ended with people hugging and kissing goodbye for ten minutes?" Marcus says reasonably.

"And you will be able to see her when you go Forward yourself, Noel darling," Jeannie says.

"What Jeannie means," Marcus says quickly, giving her a small frown, "is that eventually, everyone will go Forward, and we will all meet up with our friends and family again."

"But if we're returned to Earth," Julian says with a little cough, "how will we find each other again? I mean, next time?"

"Oh, that is easy," Jeannie says. "Those already Forward will recognise your soul, just as I knew it was ... well, don't worry. They will remember you."

She looks a little uncomfortable, and when Noel turns around to talk to Ronald at the next table for a few minutes, Jeannie says quietly to Julian, leaning forward, "I recognised you at once. Marcus told you?"

Julian nods, and Jeannie continues, "I am truly sorry, Julian. I was so sure you would go Sideways, I was shocked when that didn't happen. And when I discovered how you arrived here ... was it such a bad life you went back to?"

"It wasn't bad," Julian reassures her. "I had a loving family, supportive parents, a few good friends. I had some great opportunities. I realise now it was a wonderful life. I just ... I went through a bad patch. That's all."

"And now you have found your soulmate," Jeannie says, with a sad little smile towards Noel. "I'm afraid you are going to hate me even more today, Julian, because I am fairly confident my submission will have Noel sent Forward, and you will lose him again."

"I don't hate you," Julian says. "I love Noel, and I want him to go Forward, even if I can't follow him just yet. If I didn't want the best for him, I wouldn't be much of a soulmate, would I?"

"Anyway, Jeannie, you were very confident that Julian would go Sideways last time," Marcus says calmly. "You may be be wrong about Noel this time."

Jeannie looks as if she is about to say something else when Julian hears a familiar voice say brightly, "Hello, luvvie. You look very smart today in that suit. Everything alright?"

It's Pauline, taking her tray back to the counter. They exchange a few words before Pauline says the assessments are about to start again, and she needs to dash off.

"That was your judge, last time," Jeannie says, nodding towards the retreating Pauline.

"What? Pauline?" Julian says in shock. "But ... but ... she's so nice! Why did she send me back?"

Jeannie shrugs, and Marcus says, "Judges have access to information that we Case Workers do not. We know all your past, including your past lives. Judges at the highest level also know your future lives. It's possible Pauline saw some potential in your future that she didn't want you to miss."

It takes Julian a few minutes to realise what is different about the assessment room after lunch – Mary Gideon is now seated in the gallery with the Council of Waystation Residents, where Pedro had been before. He nudges Marcus and asks him about it, but Marcus tells him it isn't unusual for members of the council to be replaced, if somebody is called away at short notice.

"Aren't you going to say hello to your soulmate?" Julian asks him.

"That wouldn't be very professional," Marcus says with a smile. "We try not to even communicate without words if we both happen to be at an assessment together – but of course, it's hard not to let slip a few times. Force of habit."

Whether it was the two glasses of cider he'd had with his lunch Julian doesn't know, but his head is in a whirl. Jeannie had been his Case Worker last time, and Pauline the judge who had sent him back to Earth, even though Jeannie had been sure he would go Sideways. Now there was a good chance he would be sent back again, and lose his soulmate in the process.

Even though Julian truly wants Noel to go Forward, the thought of he and Noel being torn apart is unbearable. Noel would only have memories, but Julian wouldn't even have that. He wouldn't remember Noel, his first and only true love, and he would go through his next life never knowing that he had a soulmate. There is something so wretchedly lonely about the thought of it.

When Julian sees it is time to take his medicine, he is dismayed to find there is barely a drop left. He places the remainder under his tongue, then takes out the stopper and runs his tongue around the inside of the bottle, hoping there is enough liquid to make another drop. He is meant to take another dose at 5 pm, but this will have to do him for the rest of the day. After that, he supposes it won't much matter.

Julian takes Noel's hand. If they only have a few more hours together, then he wants to spend them holding Noel as much as he is allowed to.

As the afternoon wears on, Julian and Noel watch the people they know get assessed. Unlike Margaret, Ronald does not go Forward, the judge feeling that he has taken staying at the Rose and Star a little too much for granted. A report from Sophia is viewed seriously, and Chief Justice Dharmayama believes that some time spent Sideways will do Ronald a lot of good. Ronald accepts his bus ticket Sideways with good humour, and leaves the assessment room cheerfully enough.

Edith is sent Forward, telling the judge she doesn't think she's good enough for it, but that she will do her level best. Thomas has the gratification of being proven right when the judge sends him Sideways, just as he predicted. 

Bronwen is sent back for another lifetime, despite trying to stay hopeful. She asks Chief Justice Dharmayama if she might be allowed to say a few words.

"Of course, Ms. Price," he says graciously. "Please, feel free to say whatever you wish."

"I'd like to thank you for my assessment," Bronwen says staunchly. "I was afraid of having it, and afraid of you, but you've been nothing but fair and honest with me."

"Thank you, Ms. Price."

"I want you to know that I'm not scared any more of going back to Earth," she says. "I know in my heart I'm not ready to go Forward, and I want to lead the best life possible. I've got a lot more living to do."

"Ms. Price, you are quite remarkable," the Chief Justice says. "Not one person in a billion gives thanks for being sent back. I promise you, leaving here with such a positive attitude will carry beneficial energy into your next life. Dennis, do you or the Council have any words for Ms. Price?"

Dennis stands up, his eyes staring mistily into the distance. 

"Ms. Price, as the Head Shaman of the Waystation, and the head of this Council, I would like to offer our blessings on your next lifetime. May you live a long life, a happy life, a life filled with love and adventure. And when Death comes for you at last, may you greet him as a friend, come to welcome you home."

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro