23. A Soul in the Balance

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

There are two paths you can go by, but in the long run
There's still time to change the road you're on

Robert Plant

Now it is late afternoon, and everyone has been assessed, except for Julian and Noel. The judge shifts in his chair, and stares up at them in frank curiosity.

"So, we are left with the last two cases of the day, and you are soulmates to each other," he says slowly. "It is a very, very long time since I had a pair of soulmates in my assessment room. A very long time. I hope history doesn't repeat itself."

He sighs, and looks slightly downcast for a moment, before saying quietly, "Sheriff Lucien, the next case, please."

"I call Mr Noel Fielding, Your Honour," Sheriff Lucien says, not bothering to shout now there's hardly anyone left.

"Good luck, Noel," Julian whispers, squeezing his hand and kissing his cheek.

Julian's stomach feels tied into knots as Noel walks down to the judge, flicking his hair out of his eyes. He's trying to act cool, but failing badly enough that Jeannie takes his hand, guiding him down the steps like he's the child that she calls him. The child he is still young enough to look like.

"Who here speaks for Mr Fielding?" the judge asks formally.

"I do, Your Honour," says Jeannie in her light, clear voice. "Case Worker Jeanne-Claudette Jacquettie."

"Thank you, Ms Jacquettie," responds the judge. "You may begin your submission." He tilts his head slightly, waiting to hear from her.

"My client, Mr Fielding, is a beautiful person," Jeannie begins. It is a bold opening, and she continues boldly. "Everyone notices it, many say he looks like an angel."

Julian secretly squirms and blushes at her words. Did Jeannie know that Julian himself had thought that, said that?

"This isn't a beauty contest, Ms Jacquettie," the judge says mildly.

"The fact that Mr Fielding is beautiful on the outside of course means nothing," Jeannie says, waving her own opening statement away with one hand, as if it's a fly. "It is the beauty he has on the inside that is important, and everyone takes notice of that, too. People are naturally drawn to Mr Fielding, he is an easy person to like, to love."

"I'm not sure it's a popularity contest, either, Ms Jacquettie," the judge says with some amusement. "Surely your client is more than simply good looking and charismatic?"

"But of course," Jeannie says, wide eyed. "Mr Fielding is kind hearted, very loving, extremely forgiving. He has enormous love for his family and friends, he respects his parents, he is a caring and responsible big brother. He brings joy and laughter with him, he tries to make the smallest person around him feel valued. He has a little bit of sunshine in his soul – it lights up the world, and the Universe is a happier place because he is in it."

"I have some reports here," the judge says, thumbing through them. "Mr Fielding was accommodated at The Rose and Star, I believe?"

"Yes. As you know, Your Honour, The Rose and Star is often chosen for people who seem to be possibilities for going Forward. It is a little test for them," Jeannie says. "Mr Fielding has passed that test with flying colours. Staying in the penthouse of a luxurious hotel did not go to his head. He treated all the staff with the utmost courtesy, he befriended Mrs Margaret Atkins and Mr Ronald Campbell, the other guests on his floor. He left thank you notes for his housekeeper, and arranged for Mrs Atkins to receive her favourite flowers every morning."

"I see that you didn't actually spend much time at your hotel, Mr Fielding," the judge comments.

Jeannie nudges Noel, who speaks up. 

"No. Um, Your Honour. I stayed a couple of nights with ... with my mate Joo'n at The Wayfarer's Arms."

"And how did you find his accommodation?"

"Oh, it's brilliant. It's comfortable there, everyone was so nice. But I'd stay anywhere Joo'n was. Um, Your Honour, sir."

A warm glow spreads quietly through Julian.

"Thank you, Mr Fielding." The judge dismisses him before turning to Jeannie. "Well, Ms Jacquettie. You have spoken of Mr Fielding's good points. Do you acknowledge that he also has failings?"

"Of course he does, Your Honour," Jeannie says with a smile. "Mr Fielding may look like an angel, but he is human, and therefore flawed. Like me, and like you, Your Honour."

"Watch yourself, Ms Jacquettie," the judge says, but his tone is indulgent.

"Everybody who has ever gone Forward is flawed, makes mistakes, is human," Jeannie says. "If only perfection was permitted there, Forward would be a lonely and empty place. Instead it is filled with beauty, love, laughter, and warmth. I believe Mr Fielding would make ... well, what he would call an amazing addition to Forward."

The judge questions Jeannie on one or two of Noel's peccadilloes, which Jeannie brushes off as mere boyish high spirits, and then asks if Noel has any plans upon going Forward. He seems satisfied with Jeannie's outline of studying baking and opening a café at the Waystation. She neglects to mention it will be a wildly colourful arty café filled with paintings and drawings. The judge makes noises like he's nearly finished.

God, he's going to say yes, Julian thinks, hardly able to take it in. 

Noel turns around, and gives Julian an uncertain little look. Julian can't read his mind, but is sure Noel won't be happy about it until he knows where Julian is going. I'm making this hard for him, Julian thinks.

The judge closes Noel's file, and organises a stack of papers in a very final way, before he looks up.

"Mr Fielding. You were a very young man when you died, hardly more than a boy. In cases such as yours, there is a strong inclination to send the person Forward, unless there are good reasons not to do so."

The judge pauses for a moment to clear his throat, a moment which feels like hours to Julian, who is keeping all his fingers crossed.

"In your case, Mr Fielding, I see no such reason blocking my path. Forward doesn't just need experience and wisdom – it needs youthful innocence, enthusiasm, and idealism as well. Mr Fielding, from everything I have read in your file, you have a loving heart, a faithful spirit, and most importantly, a mind that absolutely bubbles over with hope."

Oh God, oh God, oh God, Julian thinks, unsure whether he's freaking out or praying.

"Mr Fielding, I am happy to inform you that you will be going Forward today. I have your ticket here. You will leave immediately for the Empyrean Railway, where a train will take you Forward. Congratulations."

"You did it, Noel," Julian calls out. "Well done, I'm so proud of you." Sheriff Lucien tells him to remain silent in the assessment room.

The judge glances at Dennis, who gives a very decided nod of approval.

Jeannie nudges Noel, and he says, "Thank you, Your Honour. Um, is it alright if ... ? I want to wait for Joo'n. Please."

The judge looks from one to the other with an unreadable expression before he acquiesces.

"Given the unusual nature of the situation, I will agree to that. This once. But Mr Fielding, after the final assessment of the day, you must leave on that train. Do you understand me?"

Noel nods, and Jeannie takes his train ticket for him. They seat themselves in the front row.

"Well, here we are. The last case of the day", the judge says. "Sheriff Lucien ...?"

"I call Mr Julian Barratt ... Pettifer, Your Honour," says the Sheriff, a hesitant pause between the last two names.

Julian follows Marcus down to the front, feeling like a prisoner being led out to meet the noose. Dead man walking. Dead man walking.

Julian barely listens to the opening formalities before Marcus launches into his submission.

"Chief Justice Dharmayama, this has been a long day for us all, so let's get to the crux of the matter without further delay," he begins. "You and I both know that if my client, Mr Pettifer, had died from natural causes, he would probably be joining his soulmate on the train in half an hour."

"I hope this submission isn't going to deal completely in hypotheticals, Mr Hoffman," the judge says with a show of weariness. "As you said, it's been a long day."

"Then let me get right down to it," Marcus says, a slight edge to his calm voice. "Mr Pettifer made a split-second decision on the spur of the moment. He was extremely unhappy, and not thinking clearly, so it was an ill-considered decision. One he now deeply regrets."

"That regret doesn't change what happened," the judge says, not unkindly.

"No, it doesn't," Marcus agrees smoothly. "Mr Pettifer understands the consequences of his actions, and is willing to accept those consequences. He has been actively reading and studying  to learn more about what he may face, and I believe he would make an excellent candidate for going Sideways, so that he may continue learning and growing in the Afterlife."

The rest of the submission goes on, Julian uneasy at how little Marcus is arguing with the judge. He's meant to trust Marcus, but Christ Almighty – Marcus is supposed to be fighting for him! And he keeps speaking in a blank monotone, politely subsiding whenever the judge raises a point against him. He is putting a minimal effort into saving Julian, a soul hanging in the balance.

At last the judge closes his file and addresses Julian directly. 

"Mr Pettifer, Mr Hoffman has carefully explained your disturbed emotional state on the night you died. From this perspective, the problems you were experiencing no longer seem so dire, but I accept that you were very depressed, and felt – wrongly, I believe – that you had no one to turn to in your hour of need."

He looks at Julian with real sympathy before going on. 

"However, no matter how distraught you were, Mr Pettifer, how out of character your behaviour was, I believe that you were in control of your faculties, and fully responsible for your own actions. 

"Mr Pettifer, the fact remains that you took steps to end your life prematurely, in a state of great distress. You did not receive the full span of years you were destined for, therefore I have no option but to rule that you return to Earth for another life. And may the Universe have mercy on your soul, may it protect you on your journey, and bless the life that is to come.  So may it be".

"No! You can't do this!"

The anguished scream is from Noel. Jeannie hushes him, and Sheriff Lucien calls for silence in the assessment room. Julian himself is speechless.

Marcus steps forward, closer to the dais, so that Julian can longer see his face. 

"Your Honour, I would like to file an immediate appeal against your decision," Marcus says in a voice like steel. "I anticipated this might happen, so I had my assistant draw up the relevant papers."

He hands them to the judge.

"Mr Hoffman, may I remind you that wasting the assessment room's time is an offence that can lead to an official reprimand?" Chief Justice Dharmayama says sternly. "On what possible grounds do you dispute my decision?"

Marcus' answer rings out loud and clear.

"I base my appeal on the fact that Mr Pettifer is at this moment, and always has been – alive!"

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro