5. The Field on Meadow Lane

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Somebody said that football's a matter of life and death to you. I said, 'Listen, it's much more important than that'.

Bill Shankly

Julian remembers Mary's advice about taking things easy, so he has a nap after lunch and then squeezes two drops of medicine under his tongue. Not wanting to spend all day in his room, he walks downstairs to the front desk, and asks Colin if he can have a basket of flowers sent to Mary Gideon. Colin advises an arrangement of pink roses and yellow lilies, with the card reading, With many thanks for your kindness and care, from Julian.

"If you were at a loose end, like, there's a football field not ten minutes from here, squire," Colin suggests. "Lovely little ground, and games on all the time if you felt like a kick around."

"I'm not really into football. Thanks anyway, Colin."

"Well, squire, I think if you was to go, you'd discover something to your advantage," Colin said, tapping the side of his nose. "A wink's as good as a nod, know what I mean? If you don't like a game, you may have fun another way, me old china."

"I'm sorry?"

"You can always ... watch. Know what I mean? I bet you like to watch," Colin says in a lewd whisper.

"I don't really like watching football much either."

"Say no more, me old chum," Colin says mysteriously. "We're both men of the world, ain't we, squire? Wink, wink, nudge nudge. Say no more, guv'nor. But what I will say, is that as men of the world, there's no need for me to do any more than tip you the wink, if you know what I mean. Catch me?"

Julian feels that he's somehow been lured into a Monty Python sketch, but can't see any way to escape the conversation other than by saying, "Actually, I think I will take a stroll down to the football field after all, Colin. It's a nice day."

"Ah, that's right, squire! A nice day for it, a nice day for it," Colin says delightedly. "Now, you just walk down Wayfarer's Road, past the bus station, then turn left onto Meadow Lane, squire. The football field ain't more'n a step from there. I knew I wouldn't need do no more than give a gent like you the barest hint."

Julian follows Colin's instructions, looking at the bus station with curiosity when he walks past it. It looks much like bus stations on Earth, except that while they tend to be dirty and smell of perspiration and defeat, this one is shining like new, everything painted either very white or deep green. 

There is a long semi-circular drive, with bus stops that have green wooden benches, and little green roofs over them with white trim. Between each bus stop is a large green ceramic flower pot filled with scarlet geraniums.

Julian reflects that very soon he might be catching a bus Sideways himself. In fact, that was what Marcus said he should be hoping for – the chance to make up for lost time, so he could prepare to go Forward.

He can see the football field as soon as he turns onto Meadow Lane. It's just a simple ground, as found in many a village where kids gather to play together, the grass a brilliant green. Beyond the football pitch are meadows dotted with wildflowers, and further still, deep blue hills, so high they almost look like mountains. Colin is right – it is a lovely little ground.

There's a casual game in progress, two mixed teams wearing either sky blue or rose pink strips, with an extremely pretty and very energetic black girl acting as referee. Julian watches for only a few moments before he notices that Noel is on the field, playing for the pink team.

He sits down on one of the wooden benches on the sidelines, and watches Noel, quickly realising he doesn't just look cute in his football kit, he's really good. He's a fast runner who can dodge and weave skilfully, dribbling the ball so smoothly you'd swear he had it glued to his boot. That is, until he jerks his head up and notices Julian watching ... after which he hesitates, loses concentration, and a blue team member easily tackles him to get the ball, then scores.

The ref blows the whistle for half time, and Noel runs over, his eyes alight with excitement.

"Joo'n! What are you doing here?"

"I'm staying just around the corner. Colin on the front desk suggested it might be a nice place to go for a walk," Julian answers.

"I signed up for this at my hotel. Bobby on the front desk thought I might like a game."

"You're really good."

"Thanks. Hey, come and meet the rest of my team."

Julian joins Noel, where someone is handing out orange slices and bottles of Lucozade. Noel introduces him as, "My mate, Joo'n", and Julian shakes hands with everyone. There's Ronald, who's staying at the same hotel as Noel, and Graham, who's a security officer at the Assessment Centre. Then Zoe and Lou and Frank and Pat and Mel ... too many for Julian to keep track of.

The team are deep in a discussion of tactics when the referee calls them over for the second half. 

"Let's have a nice clean half, yeah? You don't want to blot your copybook with a red card right before your assessment."

Everyone laughs, and Noel yells out, "Go easy on us, Stella."

"I'm firm and fair with everyone, Noel," the ref says, but she's grinning, and Julian can see she really likes Noel. Everyone does. Even the other team.

Julian tries to follow the game, but doesn't really know enough about football, and besides, he keeps looking at Noel, and forgetting about everyone else, even if Noel is nowhere near the ball. He'd found Noel attractive in a dressing gown and bunny slippers, but watching him play in little shorts and a football jersey, he can see the slenderness of his body, the fabric clinging to him with every movement in a way Julian finds almost maddening.

He knows enough about football to understand that Noel is having a great game. He tackles fearlessly, and is able to assist Graham to make a goal, levelling up the match. In the last few seconds of the game, Noel kicks from out in front, the ball soaring into the goal and hitting the back of the net, sealing a victory for the pink team.

Julian stands up and gives him a rousing cheer, as Noel puts his jersey over his head, and does a victory lap, his bare torso on display. Julian can't stop staring at his flat little stomach, a line of dark hair disappearing into the waistband of his shorts. Graham carries Noel off the pitch on his broad shoulders, the rest of the team swarming around to pat him on the back, or hug him.

"You were great," Julian smiles, when Noel jogs across to him.

"Thanks. I'm gonna hit the showers. Wait for me?"

As soon as Julian signals assent, Noel runs towards the shower block with the others.

Nice arse, Julian can't help thinking, watching Noel's curvy little bum in tight white shorts.

Noel turns his head, gives a cheeky grin, and calls back, "Yours is too!" leaving Julian flabbergasted and blushing.

Noel returns from the showers with damp hair flicked out of his eyes, wearing tight black jeans, rock band tee shirt, navy blue nylon tracksuit top, and trainers. His look is total lad, very ragamuffin from the streets. The sweet kid from the garden has been revealed as a tasty bit of rough.

Stella is taking both teams to the bar at The Wayfarer Arms for a few pints, after which the shuttle bus will ferry them back to a central location.

"I'm walking back with Joo'n, alright?"

Stella spends a long moment staring at Noel and Julian, then gives them a slow smile. She shakes her head as if in disbelief, and says, "Sure. As long as you're out the front by five o'clock, okay?"

By unspoken mutual agreement, Julian and Noel do not immediately follow the bus, but walk the other way, toward the meadow.

"You're really great at football," Julian says, with a sideways glance at Noel.

"Yeah, I was actually semi-professional for a while," Noel says. "Played for my local youth teams, and had trials with a couple of big clubs. Spurs, Palace."

"So why did you stop playing?"

"Too busy at college, and my footy mates and arty friends were two different worlds," Noel says, with self-conscious toughness.

"Both groups would probably be improved by interaction," Julian says with a chuckle.

He takes Noel's hand to help him down the grassy bank into the meadow, and keeps holding it while they walk together, their fingers intertwined. They couldn't stop talking and laughing in the garden; now they barely speak at all.

Noel stoops to pick a wildflower, pale blue, bell-shaped, faintly scented. He holds it shyly out to Julian, like an offering. Instead of taking it, Julian looks into Noel's eyes for the first time, they're a lovelier blue than the flower. There's a yearning expression in them, as if asking for something, and Julian leans forward, tilts his head, and gently brushes his mouth against Noel's.

Julian imagines that ever after he will remember his first kiss with Noel here. The softness of his lips, warm and open, the summer sweetness of the meadow, the subtle fragrance of the wildflower, forgotten at their feet. He imagines he will always know the crackle of electricity between them, his fingers gliding through Noel's hair, Noel's arms flung around his neck. The warmth of Noel in his arms, the scent of Noel, his taste – oh God, the taste of Noel!

Julian imagines this memory will last forever.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro