40. Black and white

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

"Don't define your world in black and white because there is so much hiding amongst the greys."
-Google images

Indrayan's pov:

The court resumed after the break. Anya seemed to be in a stable state now. Mr. Sequira's expression was indifferent and neutral.
Our witness, Arpita Karune; the woman who had been with Anya during her pregnancy was present at the court too. She seemed to be a bit shocked at what was revealed at the court.
Vijay Desai was the late Minister's son born of a fugitive!

The media is definitely going to go crazy with this piece of information!

The judge asked us to resume the trial.

Anya was made to stand in the witness box.
I walked to the centre, right in front of the justice and asked my question.

"Did you have anything to do with the minister's death?"

Anya shook her head in denial.
"I did not have anything to do with his death. The last time I spoke to him was about Vijay's death."
She choked a bit at the last part.

I ignored that emotion which dripped through her shaky voice; obliviating the fact that she was in pain. I have to be unfeeling, so things come out sooner.

"Vijay Desai was killed at Jannah. Yes or no?"
I asked her sternly.

She nodded.

"Would you please care to use your voice to let His Honour know your response?" I asked her

"Yes." she replied in a low voice

"Your Honour" I spoke turning towards the justice, "I would like to stop questioning her now. If required, I would like to question her again later."

The justice nodded and I went and took my seat.

The defendant lawyer was given the chance to cross-examine the witness. She stood up and addressed Anya the first question,
"Vijay Desai was not found dead at the brothel, but at his own house. You just said that he died at Jannah. How is this possible?"

Really?

I would have been driven mad if someone asked me this stupid question during a trial!

Anya answered shakily, "Vijay's death was not reported at the right spot because... Because we didn't want his character to be questioned."

The defendant's next question was,
"We refers to you and the minister?"

Anya nodded her head.

"What would you say about the Minister's death?"

"I do not know anything."

The defendant turned to the justice and said, "That's all for now, your honour. I would like to question her further as and when required.".

She returned to her seat and I was asked to call in the next witness.

I called upon Mr. Sequira.

"Did you know the Minister personally?" I asked him once he had been sworn in

"Yes. We were acquaintances. My sister had only introduced me to him."

"Where you both on cordial terms?"
"Yes"

"Did he know about your side business? He was the Human Resource Development Minister after all! Did he know what you did with the humans; to be specific the women?" I asked him seethingly

"No. I don't think he knew."

Even though his voice did not quiver... There was a guilt that I caught in his voice. Was there something amiss?

I asked him my next question.
"You had given a statement at the court; that was recorded by my assistant and the court stenographers. You clearly STATED that Mr. Vijay Desai was NOT killed at Jannah. Your sister just admitted that his mortal remains were discovered there. Answer three questions for me:

"Did you know who Mr. Vijay Desai was when he visited your brothel?

Were you aware that he was your nephew?

Did you know that he died accidentally and not intentionally at your brothel and not at his home, as was staged?"

I looked at that feeble excuse of a man who was standing silently in the witness box.
He spoke after a minute.
"I knew that Vijay Desai was the minister's son but I had no idea that he was... My nephew. Anya never told me with whom she had a child. I never saw the kid!
As per his death is concerned, I was simply informed that someone had died at Jannah. Anya had apparently taken away the body. She had left a note for me wherein she asked me to not inform the police. I wouldn't have anyways!"

I turned to the justice and then said,
"Your honour! Of all questions; answered or unanswered... One thing is clear! Mr. Md. Ibrahim Siddiqui and his sister, Anya; lived under pseudonyms and traded in drugs. They also committed the heinous crime of concealing the news of someone's death. Moreover, they lied to the High court of justice several times during the trial when asked about Mr. Vijay Desai's death. For now, I would request you to please take notice of these instances. With your permission, I would like to stop questioning now. I shall resume the cross-examination as and when required in the future."

The justice nodded and asked the defendant, "Defendant lawyer! Do you wish to question Mr. Siddiqui a.k.a. Mr. Sequira?"

The defendant stood up and replied in the negative.

The justice glanced at the clock on the wall. It was 3.30 pm! Time really does fly in  a courtroom!

He banged his gavel once demanding our attention.
"The trial State of Maharashtra vs. Mr. Siddiqui+1 will continue on the next date.  The next date is 17th October, 10 a.m.
The court is adjourned for the day!"

The justice rose to leave the courtroom as did the rest of us.
The hearing was over for the day... And 20% of the truth was out.

1. Vijay's death had been deliberately concealed from the police and the scenario had been manipulated and staged.

2. Mr. Ibrahim Siddiqui and Ms. Anya Siddiqui were criminal fugitives and not great philanthropists!

Even so... There is a long way to go. There is a greater storm ahead!

Sampurnaa's pov:

So far, the case has revealed two truths out of the hundreds concealed.
The judge announced the next date. It is actually perceptible that the case is going around in circles!
Sigh!

I walked out of the courtroom and Sridha came behind me... And I knew what the conversation was going to be about.

I turned to her with a questioning look.
"Did he propose you or did you propose him? For marriage I mean."

I swear these college kids look at everything like a Disney princess story!

I answered her patiently.
"Neither. It is an arranged marriage."

She looked at me skeptically.
But I did not give her a chance to say anything,
"Before you ask me anything about 'what about the man of your dreams' or something like 'why an arranged match and not love?'; let me tell you that I believed in these 'Prince Charming' stories till I was 21. I don't now... Anyways I am happy with the match. The rest will fall into place in time."

She sighed at my explanation.
"I know Di that Prince Charming doesn't really exist! Or else why would some college student like me be here at the court fighting for justice?"

I looked at her and she looked back.

I did not say anything, neither did she... We both knew that it would take time for her to face reality totally.
I patted her on the shoulder and muttered a soft 'see you soon' and walked towards the gate.

Indrayan and Zakir were standing there. I guess they were waiting for me.
I walked upto them and said hello.
Zakir handed me a file.

I opened it.
There were photographs of several pharmacies in and around the city. I looked at both of them inquisitively.

Indrayan decided to enlighten me.
"We suspect that these pharmacies supply youngsters with the drugs that Anya dealt with. They do not sell them in the open. We need a few people to visit colleges in disguise, to interact with the students and obviously to research about these pharmacies. Talk to your senior once and see if you guys can do string operations. Maybe this will help us find the mastermind and the main culprit."

I nodded and left.

At the studio

It is 6 pm now! I don't have shooting till 11 pm.
Senior is currently shooting an interview with some movie producer. I don't have many details.
I have to take the file that Indrayan gave me and also apply for leaves.

The studio manager assured me that he would send a message once the shooting is done so I can go and meet him later.

It is 7 pm now.
The manager just messaged me and told me that the path would be clear in around 5 minutes.
I picked up the file and proceeded to walk towards senior's cabin.

I went and knocked on the door.
'Come in'

I walked in with a smile wishing him, "Good evening Sir. How was your assignment at New York?"

He smiled back and replied, "Good evening Sampurnaa. It was good. I am really happy to be back though! I missed eating home food."

I laughed at that.

"Yes. Now tell me which bizarre proposal are you here with!" he asked me

I immediately protested.
"Sir I am not here with a bizarre proposal! In fact Mr. Chakraborty himself handed me this file and asked me to speak to you about string operations that we can conduct with a team."

I handed the file to him.
He read the contents and viewed the photographs and asked me about the agenda and objective.

I explained him everything like Indrayan and Zakir had asked me to.

Once I was done with the explanation part, I waited eagerly for his response.

Sir eased back on his seat and then looked at me after giving everything a thought.

"You know what happened the last time we did string operations. There was a security glitch and that pushed you...."

He stopped there. I did not wait for him to begin again.
"I am in this! And if others are paranoid because of what happened to me... Then they can very well see that I am the first person on board."

Senior nodded in amusement and disbelief.
I guess I am too impatient!

We drew up an outline of our plan and just as senior was about to dismiss me, I called out to him.

"Sir!"
"Yes?"

"I was wondering if you could grant me leave for 4 days at the end of November."
I told him hesitantly.

He thought awhile and then said.
"You know right that you have only 15 days of PL for this year as you are a new joinee?"

"Yes sir, I do. I have used up 9 days. I wish to use 4 more from November 27th till Nov 30. I will join back on 1st. December."

"4 leaves together is difficult to grant! You can work your off-days for two weeks in order to get compensatory leaves. Is that fine?"
He asked me.

I was quick to say yes.
"I am absolutely fine with it sir. I actually have to go somewhere on my off-day this week and the next. Will it be fine of I work on the next two weeks?"

Senior nodded in approval and just as I was about to leave, he asked me.

"From what I see, you are desperate to get the leaves granted. Any particular reason?"

I nodded.
"Yes sir. I am getting married on the 28th. I need to take leave from 27th though because of some pre-wedding rituals."

Senior stood up from his seat in haste.

"You are getting married??!!" he asked shocked.

I nodded casually.

"Why so soon? I mean at such a short notice!"

I smile at his reaction.
"My sister in-law is pregnant. She will be entering the second trimester in December. Hence we wanted to get done with things before it becomes difficult for us."

He nodded.
"And who may be the lucky one?"

"Unlucky you mean! It is the lawyer who is representing me and Sridha at the court. It is an arranged match and NOT a love one as you may be assuming."

He nodded and congratulated me.
I left soon after and the rest of the evening passed with minor editing work.

It was 10 pm when I was preparing myself for the segment at 11.
The phone rang and I took the call. It was Indrayan.
"Hello?" I asked
"Hi! You are at the studio?"

I replied in the affirmative.

He asked me after that, "How will you return home tonight? I mean I know that you have a segment to do at 11... Which means that you will leave the studio at 12 maybe."

I smiled at his hesitant concern.
"Fortunately the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation has real good roads that can be used for driving even at night."

"You don't travel by car right?"
"I went home after the hearing and got my scooty. I am in a stable financial state now. Not bankrupt like last month!"

"About that! Who asked you to purchase that expensive watch?"

I sighed.
"I am honestly not interested in arguing with you right before my segment on the channel! Right now, I would really be happy if you can shift your focus to the case instead of my safety! Focus on the grey aspects of the case! Not all things around are necessarily black or white!"

He chuckled at the other end.
"Alright Ms. Journalist. I'll take your advice and get to work immediately. All the best for your segment!"

"Thank you,Mr.  Lawyer. Good night."

I disconnected the call and made my way to the green room to read the script.

The segment went smoothly and I left the studio at 12 a.m.

The ride on the two wheeler was smooth on the deserted roads of Mumbai, late at night.
I went home and went to bed directly.

Thus, the day came to an end.

Indrayan's pov:

I called up Sampurnaa once and asked her about her mode of transport while returning home. Our parents, Abhimanyu and Adrija are not back yet... Hence I felt it would be irresponsible of me if I did not ask her!

She seemed to be in a good enough mood when we spoke on the phone.

I disconnected the call and sat down with files, flowcharts, empty pages and photographs.
My mind went back to Sampurnaa's words.
"Focus on the grey aspects of the case. Not all things are necessarily black or white."

The question however is, "Which part of the case is grey?"
Initially, things seemed to be pretty different, easy and straight... But there are so many loopholes now!

There is the fugitive sibling duo who have admitted to trading drugs and hiding facts at the court. The forced prostitution allegation is yet to be proved, because the sex workers' union revolted against us.

There are countless witnesses whose profiles are 90% verified. And there are victims who are obviously not being doubted.

There are quite a few influential people who are capable of destroying the Siddiquis (Sequiras).
There are old partners who hold grudges and then there are models and actors who have had fights with him.
As far as the minister's death is concerned; there were obviously two people who had been planning to kill him; independently:

1. The one who administered slow poison in his system

2. The one who shot him

Even though Vijay's death was an accident, I strongly believe that there are dots that have to be joined, in order to get a clearer picture.

Then the last but not the least. The latest revelation that Anya had been assisted by
the head of the special forces; a retired Army man who has served the nation during Kargil War.
He isn't power-hungry or in need of money.... Then what is it that instigated him to do something like this?

The questions were giving me a real headache. I kept aside the files and evidences and took my phone in hand. It was 1 a.m.

There was one new message from Sampurnaa that had been sent 10 minutes ago.
It read:

"I reached home safely. Thank you for asking then. I know that you are concerned since I am alone at home... But don't worry!
And yes, I asked you to focus on the greys... But not right now!
For now, keep aside all those files and go to sleep. I spoke to senior today. I will give you the details tomorrow."

It seems like her senior agreed on the string operations. Let's hope something comes out of this!
..................................................................................
To be continued...

A/N

This is a smaller chapter. I promise the next chapter will have more.
This is for all the readers... Each chapter will contain different dates, places and situations that may seem contradictory.
If you feel anywhere that the flow isn't proper, then please just let me know.

Thank you for giving my story a read.

Cheers,
Shubhadittya

P.S. next update on 17th October

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro