47. Joining dots

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

"At the end of the day, if the picture is clear.... Then you've succeeded in joining the dots"

-Elegiac_Damsel

12th November

Sampurnaa's pov:

I woke up to a serene morning today. The sky was pretty clear and there was mild mist in the morning air.
It was 6 a.m.
Maa, Baba, Boudi and Dada are really busy with the wedding arrangements. Dida is supposed to arrive today in the evening along with Indrayan and Boudi's maternal uncle and his family. There are 16 days to the wedding and two weeks for everything to begin.
Baba has been becoming emotional and sentimental. He's begun calling me everyday at least 3 times while I am at work. Dada has been waiting till late night, for me and Maa has begun cooking my favourite dishes! They are behaving like I am going to a different country or planet, whereas in reality, I will be in the same city, just a few miles away from home. It really seems like they are bidding me adieu for good! Boudi is pretty much practical about such things since she has experienced this herself. She got me a book to read, "Chicken Soup for the Indian Bride's Soul"

I have taken out sometime in order to read the stories written by several women who have been in my shoes before.
I have been working relentlessly without an off for 3 weeks now! Maa wants me to take at least one day off a week before the wedding. She wants me to go to the salon and relax and prep myself.
I asked senior if I could take the leave and he agreed. I have sent my wedding cards to several school friends, especially Priyanka. She has promised to be at my house from the 26th so she can help with everything.
My things are going to be shifted this week. Apparently, aunty is redecorating and renovating the room there. My stuff have been packed by maa and there are boxes ready to be moved. Honestly, I am feeling a bit anxious.
Marriage?

Everything seems to be so fast. To be fair, I know I can manage without my parents because I have already spent 5 years outside home, abroad. I know I will get to meet them and that the new place where I would be shifting will be no less than a home for me with Aunty and Uncle around. What scares me though is the word 'marriage'. I am nervous that things won't work out well, I am scared that I wouldn't be able to balance things. What if we end up misunderstanding one another? What if...

I was so deeply engrossed in my thoughts that I failed to notice Boudi who was standing right behind me. She put an arm around me, pulling me into a comforting embrace.
"Some what ifs don't get answered unless you face the situation up front. What is bothering you is common to all brides, Sampurnaa. Sometimes you need to close your eyes and jump not fearing the outcome. There are several things that could go wrong but innumerable things that could go right! Close your eyes, trust yourself and jump into it! God forbid, if anything goes wrong then you will definitely find something to hold on to! But yes, if you never try... Then you can never succeed... Even failure is a trial! And yes, my brother is a really good man, Sampurnaa. He isn't like the men who you have been hearing of ever since you got involved with the case!" she explained me softly while holding me tight.

I nodded and absorbed her words.

She continued, "The fears that you hold in your heart; suppressed have to be expressed. Speak to him once, right after marriage or now. It will make things better and easier for you! Always remember, no relationship can last without the glue called love and communication. Love will grow only and only if you are transparent and well versed in communication."

I nodded and hugged her.
"Thank you" I told her genuinely.
She smiled and then said teasingly, "Now I guess I'll have to start calling you Boudi."

I made a face.
"No! That will make me sound very old!"

14th November

Indrayan's pov:

The house is jam packed with people. My 20 year old cousin sister and a 22 year old cousin brother, my mama (maternal uncle), mami (my maternal aunt; mama's wife) and Dida arrived two days ago in order to help with the wedding preparations. I don't know about help, but they have definitely been enjoying themselves with Mumbai Darshan. I am really pissed off because my cousins have literally laid siege over everything that I own. Fortunately, I will be shifting to my redecorated room today... So that would definitely help! The guestrooms are full and Dad is as pissed off as me.
Maa on the contrary is really happy because she thinks that our house is finally brimming with noise and excitement, like a proper 'biye bari'. (Marriage house)

I have a lot of work in reality, but it is easier said than done in a household with 8 people of which 6 are overexcited and happy!

Maa went around shopping along with my cousin and mami because she needs to give gifts to the bride's family. Adrija called up yesterday to say that things were total chaos at her place too as they were shopping for gifts to be given to our side.

The court hearing is at 10 today and I had to get out of the house at 8.15. My cousins thought it would be a brilliant idea to accompany me to the court because they wanted to meet Sampurnaa. I tried my level best to refuse them, but they tagged along in the end.

The court is becoming a recreational park day by day!

I reached the court at 9.30 a.m.
Zakir was present there and he was really amused to see two young college students at the court with me.
He tried to suppress his amused smile while greeting me with a 'good morning', but I guess my eyes are pretty sharp!

Sridha arrived at 9.45 with her parents and I introduced her to my cousins. The two girls hit off immediately and they began conversing with one another.

The older cousin asked me in a low voice, "Where is Boudi?"(sis in-law i.e., Sampurnaa in this case)

I told him that I had no answer to his question and he sat down quietly.

It was at 9.57 that the bailiff entered the courtroom to announce the judge's arrival.  At the same time, something flew past me and Zakir and both of us looked up in surprise.

It was Sampurnaa! She was in her formals and heels and her hair was open. She looked like she had been running a marathon; in the wrong attire!
She remained standing as the justice entered the courtroom and we all rose.

The trial began.

The first witness I requested to cross-examine was Anya. Now that she had already confessed to running a forced prostitution racket, we were more focused on the minister's death and the drug racket.
She was sworn in.
"Ms. Siddiqui, Jannah was burnt down to the ground the same day as the Minister was killed. Do you suspect or know anything about this?" I asked her.

"Your honour! I suspect that Jannah was burnt down to the ground by my business partner. As everyone at the court knows, thanks to Ms. Sampurnaa Roy, that there were drugs in my brother's room in Jannah. He was a user of a few drugs definitely but he did not know from where I got them. Jannah was my base for trade; be it drugs, women or children. There was a lot of information on my computer about my business partner and certain bank transactions that would have been a problem for him. I strongly believe that he was the one who got Jannah burnt." she replied.

I saw Sampurnaa taking notes of her statement. Good! Apart from the court records, it would be really useful to refer to her notes... That would help in knowing which question to ask next.

Turning my attention back to Anya and his honour, I said, "Ms. Siddiqui, you said that Colonel Abraham Collins helped you escape from Jannah. He has been missing for the past one month. Have you got any idea as to where he may be? When did you see him last and how do you know him?"

"Abraham was the Minister's friend. He was also well acquainted with my business partner. I saw him last the day he rescued me and my brother from Jannah. We both were dropped off at Mankhurd. My brother decided to go the chawl in Ghatkopar whereas I went to Badlapur where my business partner was." Anya anwered.

"How much do you know him? You accused him of taking money from you and helping you in return. Why would he do that? I am sure that he received enough salary from the government and that he would have received pension too after retirement. Please tell the court anything that would be relevant to these questions."

Anya thought for a while and then answered, "I knew him only on professional grounds. He was the one who did all the business transactions. He joined our business two years ago. I believe that his wife was sick and that his daughter was in a comatose state owing to some accident. He told me and my business partner that he needed more money for both their treatments."

"Last question, Ms. Siddiqui. Do you have any clue where he might be now?"

"I think he will be in Chennai. His wife is supposed to undergo a liver transplant there. And his daughter is admitted at Hinduja Hospital, Khar."

I nodded.

"Your honour. That is all I have to ask Ms. Siddiqui for now. With your permission, I would like to question her further as and when required."

The judge asked the defendant if she had any questions to ask. She looked at Anya and asked her something silently. Anya shook her head. The defendant shrugged and then took her seat back after acknowledging the justice.

The next witness I called upon was the man from the pharmacy in Malabar Hill.
He was sworn in.

"Mr. Raj Matthews. Apart from the fact that you sold drugs in the open, another thing has come to the notice of the police. The medicines that were sold were sent for testing. All of them are adulterated products and the drug composition does not match the required composition of any of the speciality pills."

I turned to the justice.
"Your honour! The police sent in several samples of medicines including common ones like Cough syrups, vitamin supplements and even contraceptives. All the medicines contain inappropriate drugs! The contraceptives contain drugs causing liver damage and serious conditions like endometriosis. The report has been submitted to you as is the protocol of the court. Moreover, a few medicines have their composition displayed openly on the packaging. A few samples have been submitted beforehand for you to check, my lord."

I turned to the man in the witness box and asked him sternly,
"Did you know what you were selling? Do you know who is behind all this?"

He started shaking. His voice quivered while answering,
"Your.. Honour! I am just.... An... Emm... Ployee! I am not even educated enough to know what medicine I am selling or what they are for! I was offered this job after I had applied under the government's Employment Guarantee Act."

The entire court lost its cool.
The defendant sprung up to her feet and said, "How can you say that? How can anyone offer you such a job?"

The justice asked the defendant to take her seat and to allow the trial to continue.

"I swear, Sir. I am from a small village near Palghar...."

"Wait! You come from Palghar too! Your honour, I would like you to take note that Minister Desai was also from Palghar. There is something amiss here mi lord! And from every angle, Palghar becomes the dead end!"

Sampurnaa's pov:

The dots are joining gradually, but that one last dot which would give us a clear picture is missing!

The mastermind of this game! No matter which road we take, all of them go and stop at Palghar. What is it that we are missing here?

The trial did not go further from there as several people accused the government of playing with their lives by employing someone for such a dirty trade of medicines.

The justice simply ordered the police to restrain the protesters and announced the next date as 28th November!

Shit! It is my wedding!

Indrayan and I exchanged looks... But the judge had already begun rising.

"Your honour!" I called out raising my voice by a few decibels in order to catch his attention. The entire court became mum at that.
The judge looked at me and asked me,
"Yes, Ms. Roy?"

This is so awkward!

"Your honour! I know that this isn't a formal request notice; but could you please give us a later date? I have personal commitments on the 28th."

He looked at me skeptically but I maintained eye contact.

"You know that the trial can proceed without one witness!" he replied

Ugh! I hate this!

"Your honour! The trial can undoubtedly proceed without one witness; but I do believe that the trial would require the prosecutor to be present at the court."

The justice looked at me like I had lost my mind.
"I am afraid I didn't get your point, Ms. Roy."

I took a deep breath and answered.
"Sir, it is my wedding on the 28th. The functions begin on the 27th and continue till the 30th. The prosecutor happens to be my fiancé; hence it is pretty obvious that we both can't attend court then. That is the reason why I would like to request you, your honour, to please give us a later date. Any date from 1st would do!"

The judge was trying to fight the smile that was struggling to come on his face. It was quite perceptible that he was amused by my way of explaining things!

I waited patiently as did everyone else. "What would the judge do? Would he listen? Or would the wedding be postponed?"

Stupid headlines started going around in my head! Where does all this creativity go when I need it?

After what seemed like a century, the justice looked up and announced.

"Well Ms. Roy and Mr. Chakraborty. A congratulations is surely in order then! And yes, the altered date is 2nd. December, 10 a.m."

I smiled in gratitude at the justice and he nodded in reply.

"The court is adjiurned!"

And all of us left the courtroom.

"Boudi! It is so good to meet you finally!" shrieked Suparna, Indrayan's cousin.

Her older brother wasn't as expressive as her while showing his excitement. He shook hands with me like one would at a meeting and I smiled.
Sridha was standing nearby. Suparna was of the same age as her and they both had hit off immediately.

I smiled at the two and they started talking at length about how excited they were and the topic well seemed really vast to be discussed in the parking lot of Mumbai High Court.

I looked at Indrayan for help... But he just seemed to be relieved that the two atom bombs were now on my head and not his!

"How about we carry this to Phoenix Marketcity?" I asked them

They nodded excitedly and Sridha asked if she could tag along. I obviously said yes.

I breathed a sigh of relief!
God! They are too much!

Phoenix Marketcity, Kurla

Indrayan has been shooting glares at me ever since we entered Zara and his two cousins have been picking on anything they find. Sridha unfortunately had to say that they 'were killing it' in whatever outfit they tried!
I wonder what the bill is going to amount to!

"Sampurnaa! Don't you have a job to go to?" Indrayan asked me pointedly

I looked at my watch. It was 1 p.m.
I had to be at the studio at 4 p.m., but if I tell them that; then he might as well be bankrupt after returning home today.

"Yes. I need to go! Before that, foodcourt anyone? My treat!" I said quickly

Immediately, the two grabbed 3 outfits each and made a dash to the cash counter. I noticed Sridha there with her hands on her hips.
"You need to go at 4 right?"

I nodded and grinned sheepishly. She laughed.
I took one dress for her and told her that I was buying it for her. She refused but eventually agreed upon my insistence.

After that we went to the foodcourt. The two siblings ordered Two meals each from KFC while Sridha ordered a burger and fries. I chose to order a sandwich from a café counter with coffee while Indrayan selected a personal size Pizza.

We had a fun lunch together and I bid adieu to them and proceeded towards office. Early to bed, early to rise... But early to office only means more work!

To be continued...

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro