50. Wedding I

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

"I don't know if this is the right decision... But I do know that you are the best decision my parents took on my behalf."

-Elegiac_Damsel
_________
28th November

Sampurnaa's pov:

I was woken up at 4.30 a.m.! They wanted me to get up for Dodhi-Mongol.
Maa very rudely dragged me from the bed and pushed me inside the washroom. She followed inside as I was half asleep, pushed me under the shower and turned on the water. The cold water woke every bone in me and she gave me instructions and left.

I took a quick bath and then walked out. A yellow saree with red border had been kept out for me. I draped it quickly and then went for Dodhi Mongol.

On the day of the wedding, the bride and the bridegroom are fed sweet curd and khoi early in the morning before sunrise. This ritual is called Dodhi Mongol. They are required to fast thereafter till the marriage is completed. The rituals at the bride's side are more elaborate as it involves 'shankha- pola porano'.

Maa forcefed me a morsel of sweet curd (mishti doi) with khoi. I hate sweet curd and she knows that! She asked me to eat just one morsel for the sake of the traditional rituals.

Once she had fed me. The neighbourhood aunties who had gone to fetch pitchers of water from the pond came ahead for the rest of the rituals.
(The women go and bring water in pitchers from a pond as this signifies sending an invitation to Ganga or the holy Ganges for the wedding)

Maa came forward and made me wear Shankha-Pola (Bengali married women are required to wear one Shankha (bangle made of conch) and one pola (coral bangle) on each hand)

Shankha- pola

Once they were done with this ritual, Maa asked me to go and take a short nap as the next ritual was Gaye Holud (Haldi) ritual that would only take place after the turmeric was sent from the groom's place.

Gaye Holud: Similar to the Haldi ceremony in North India, in this ritual either five or seven married women apply turmeric paste and oil to both the bride and the groom in their respective houses. They are then supposed to bathe and wear new clothes. The turmeric is said to bring out more glow in the couple.

Indrayan's pov:

Dad woke me up at 5 a.m. and asked me to take a shower and get ready for Dodhi Mongol followed by Gaye Holud.

My cousins, Adrija and Maa fed me that mixture of mishti doi and khoi which really did not please me early in the morning. Maa went away with Mami, Adrija and 4 more married women from the neighbourhood in order to get water in a pitcher from a pond. I wonder where she'll find a pond in Pali Hill!

The women came back with pitchers of water. The next ritual was Gaye Holud. Maa sat with the grinding stone and with the help of the other women, ground the turmeric and mixed it with some oil.
I was made to stand in the lawn of our house while the women circled me first with the turmeric paste, boron daala and other things in hand. Someone was blowing the conch shell while all the women were ululating.

Maa was the first one to apply turmeric on me. Adrija followed her suit and then all the women mercilessly smeared my face and body with turmeric. Adrija made a game out of it and involved everyone including my cousins, Dad, Mama and the neighbours who had come to attend the pre-wedding rituals.
Once they had smeared turmeric all over me, Maa took some off my face and kept it in a small bowl. That would now go to Sampurnaa's place along with other gifts. The women then upturned the pitcher full of cold water on me. And that is how the Gaye Holud concluded at my place... With me shivering in the cold.

Adrija and my cousin, Suparna were going to Sampurnaa's place with the turmeric and the gifts.
Meanwhile, there would be rituals here too. Dad told me to get ready in the new kurta that was kept in the wardrobe. We would have to perform certain rituals in order to seek the blessings of our ancestors. This is called Vridhi puja. This ritual will also be held at the bride's place after the Gaye Holud.

I was sent up to my room in order to get dressed up for the day. There were obviously no meals for me today, so my cousin brother and Zakir, who had arrived early decided to tease me with food.

Sampurnaa's pov:

Adrija Boudi along with Suparna just arrived with the turmeric. They even brought gifts from the bridegroom's side for us.
I was led to the balcony of our flat, clad in an old yellow saree with a traditional thin, cotton towel called gamcha.
7 women including maa circumnavigated me ululating and blowing the conch shell. Once they circled me seven times, Maa applied some turmeric on my face and then some oil and turmeric on my hands. The rest of the women followed suit and later it turned into a game of Holi with turmeric. Once the turmeric had been applied properly, they asked me to sit down on a low stool and then poured the cold contents of the pitcher. Maa then sent me off to take a bath and then change into the new yellow saree that she had kept ready on my bed. We would have the Vridhi puja after this.

Gaye Holud Tattva

I took my third bath since morning and then proceeded to drape the new saree that I was required to wear.

Priyanka and Sridha were sent by Maa to help me out with the alta.
I had refused to apply mehendi as it is very time consuming. Moreover, Bengali brides traditionally apply alta on their hands and legs.
Both of them began applying that on my feet and palms. It was so ticklish! I started giggling like a fool.

"Sit still, Samp! Or I will just pour a bucket full of water on you!" Priyanka exclaimed annoyed at me. She was trying to do my feet and I was shaking and moving so much, that the alta was smeared all over her hands, but nowhere on my feet! Sridha was doing my palms and she was equally annoyed.

"Di! Sit still! I'm telling you Mehendi would be a better option! If you don't sit still then I'll calp your senior and tell him that you are resigning!" she screamed

That caught my attention and I sat like a statue allowing the two to do their work.

"This is so much better than Mehendi di! The colour is already so dark." Sridha exclaimed.

I rolled my eyes. Idiotic talk!
Priyanka was opening her mouth to say something teasing but I decided to burst her bubble.
"It doesn't have anything to do with how much love I'll get after marriage. Trust me!" I told her in a duh tone

She grimaced and Sridha laughed at both of us.

The rest of the day went in several rituals and worships. Baba performed the Vridhi Puja for me.
It was afternoon and I was in my room when Maa came in. She came and sat next to me.

"You came for giving me a prep talk?" I asked her playfully

She hit me on my head lightly and then pulled me into her embrace. I felt some moisture on my shoulder and realised that she was crying.

"Maa! What happened? Why are you crying?" I asked her in panic

She kept crying continuously. I patted her back and then finally when she stabilised a bit, I pushed her away slightly and asked her, "Ki holo?" (What happened?)

"Baby! You are getting married today... How will I live without you?" she wept

"I am ready to annull the marriage, Maa" I told her in a serious tone

She hit me on my head and then kissed my forehead.
"You are unable to understand my point of view. You are my only daughter. It is painful, baby." she said and then again began crying

I sighed helplessly.
I took her hand in mine and asked her to look up.
She did.

"I can't promise that I'll meet you everyday, but I will come and meet you once a week, on my day offs." I told her reassuringly

She cupped my face.
"Shona, it isn't about how often I'll get to see you. The mere fact that my little girl is getting married is something overwhelming."

I hugged her and she kissed my forehead again.

After sometime, she wiped her tears and looked at me.
"I came here to give you certain instructions. Listen carefully!" she told me sternly

See! I knew it! It was all about a prep talk!

"After your marriage, I want you to wear saree, your bangles and vermilion for at least 8 days i.e., till Ashtamongola."

I opened my mouth to speak, but she beat me to it.

"Not a word! I know you are joining work right after the marriage, but I am not having my newly wedded daughter roaming about without that marital glow on herself." she told me sharply

I grimaced at her choice of words.

"You are wearing saree like I told you. I am not taking any defiance or insolence from your part. Even if you are going to the court or for on-field reporting!"

I nodded. There's no point arguing over this! Moreover, if this had been a 'normal marriage', then I would have definitely taken leave for at least two weeks and followed all the damn rules!

"Secondly, I don't want you to address your husband by his name." she told me sternly

I rolled my eyes. "Is this the vedic age, Maa? I mean... Even if I agree to listen to you, what do I call him?"

"I don't take your father's name either. You will figure something out!" she told me

"You call Baba, Abhimanyu's father! I can't obviously call him something like that!" I told her pissed off at the example she gave

"Well... That will be alright when you have kids. But for the time being, you can just address him like 'are you listening?'"

"And what does he call me?" I asked her

"I don't know; sweetheart maybe." she replied winking

"Ewwww maa... That is so cringy and cheesy!"

She was with me the entire afternoon; telling me about the new life that was waiting for me. She told me that it was all about a new journey; one where I'll make a new family. She told me about the new responsibilities that I would have to embrace.
At every moment of my life; Maa was my only constant support. Today, as I am preparing myself to embrace a new world, one which I have to explore on my own, it's her words, her advice, her love and her blessings that would always be with me...

I don't know how ready I am in reality... But I shall give this marriage my all...

Indrayan's pov:

The house has been bursting with a different energy since morning. After all the morning rituals were done with, Maa sent me to the market in order to buy last minute stuff like alta and grocery items like clarified butter, turmeric and milk. The great thing about being an Indian groom is that you have to look into all the stuff! I even went in order to instruct the caterers who were cooking food for the guests.
It is tempting to see people eat and enjoy good food while you are fasting... But I guess I have to sacrifice my food for today!

It was afternoon and everyone was resting as we had to be up for most of the night. I was in my room arranging my things in the new wardrobe. The room has really been modified; modified well enough to accommodate both me and Sampurnaa.

Dad walked in and sat down on my bed.

"I need to speak to you." he told me in a serious voice

I looked at him and said, "The last time you uttered these words in this tone, my marriage got fixed. Now that I am already getting married, I'd genuinely like to know what you have to say and whether that would bring about a change in my life."

He looked at me sternly and I matched his gaze. He maybe a retired IAS, but I am his son with a stern college dean, and I also happen to be a criminal lawyer!
After sometime, his gaze became neutral and he inhaled deeply.

I sat straight across him on the bed and asked him to continue speaking.
"Marriage calls for a lot of responsibilities. I need you to embrace them well. When you get married, the household works with two people in harmony. Do not push your spouse away at any point. Share everything that may be necessary for her to know. Arguments are common to all marriages and will be to yours too. Do not file a divorce petition right after your first quarrel. Your mother and I are there to guide you, son. You may be a thorough professional and a successful and experienced lawyer; but you are our son who will always be loved and cared for by us. Do not hesitate to be transparent in your relation. It is a necessity."

I nodded at Dad's words. Things would definitely work out if we want them to.

It is 5.30 p.m. and I am sitting ready in my wedding attire. It is a weekday, so there is bound to be a lot of congestion on the road. We have to reach by 8 p.m.
My cousins are ready and mami is straightening her saree. Dad is almost ready. Maa isn't coming with us even after constant insistence because it is a 'breach of tradition' like she said.
The bridegroom's mother doesn't attend the main wedding ceremony. She is supposed to stay at home and prepare to welcome her daughter in-law the next day. The son takes her blessings and seeks permission to bring his wife home with him. Traditionally, during a wedding ceremony, women usually did not venture out much as they were required to stay inside the 'andarmahal' (the seperate part of the house reserved for the women, in olden days)

At around 6 p.m., everyone was ready as was I. Maa came out in order to bid me adieu. I touched her feet and sought her blessings. The priest directed me to seek her permission to bring my bride home. She blessed me and asked me to proceed. She assured me that she would be happy to accept my bride and sent me my way.

I got into a separate car which my cousin drove. My cousin sister sat in front and Adrija sat behind with me. Dad, mama, mami and the neighbours would be going in separate cars.
The journey from Pali Hill to Chembur was long. A certain feeling of anticipation and anxiousness rose in me just as the car stopped at Abhimanyu and Sampurnaa's building. There were lights illuminating the entire building.
Deepshika Aunty was standing with a borondaala. She welcomed me by circling the borondaala vertically. Once she was done, she fed me a sweet and offered me some water. I sought her blessings and then I was led towards the chhaadnatola.

Borondaala

To be continued...

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro