55. First Fight

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Dedicated to Priyadarshini2001 I don't have much to say... But thank you... Thank you so much for reading this story.

"Just as the lone sands in the desert are destined to stretch miles without a soul in sight;
maybe you and I are meant to explore that desert together..."

-Elegiac_Damsel

Sampurnaa's pov:

I woke up at 6.30, half an hour later than usual. With the onset of winter in Mumbai, sunrise is much more delayed. Even at 7.30 a.m., it seems like dawn.
I felt a chill when I woke up. The weather was gradually turning cold. Indrayan was still asleep, tucked in bed under the warm duvet.
I switched on the geyser and opened the window for some fresh, morning air and then went to take a shower. I got ready by 7 a.m.
The hearing is scheduled to be at 10 a.m., so I decided to wake him up.
"Ei je shuncho! Uthe poro... Shokal hoe gieche! (Hey, are you listening! Wake up... It is morning!) I called out to him

He got up after 15 minutes. I don't exactly blame him for being lethargic; the weather sort of just urges you to remain in bed with a warm blanket or duvet.

"Good morning!" he wished me

I smiled and wished him back.

"I am going down to get the breakfast ready." I told him and walked away

The breakfast is ready. Maa and I prepared it together. She asked me to go and hurry up and change as it was already 8 a.m. We definitely had to get out of the house by 8.30!

Just as I was going upstairs, to the room, the doorbell rang.
I went to open it. It was the laundry man. I asked him to wait as I had a few clothes that had to be given for dry cleaning.

I went to the bedroom and took out the pile of clothes from the wardrobe that I had kept aside for dry cleaning. One of Indrayan's suits was also there. He was in the shower.

Assuming that it had been kept aside for dry cleaning, I picked it up along with the other clothes and gave it to the launderer.

I went upstairs quickly and took my clothes for changing. I had to use Boudi's room for changing as it was unoccupied.

I walked into our room once I was dressed. I had to wear my watch and brush my hair. Indrayan was there in his home clothes, looking for something. His towel was on the bed and that really pissed me off.

"Why's this wet towel on the bed? The bed sheets will get wet!" I told him annoyed

I picked up the towel and kept it outside in the balcony, for drying.

"You remember that you have to go to court right? What is wrong with you? You are literally roaming about the house in normal clothes when you are supposed to be ready for court! The wet towels are now lying on the bed and you just choose to be silent!" I just spoke out without thinking

His eyes reflected anger. He retorted,
"You had kept your towel on the bed yesterday! Did I say anything? I picked it up quietly and kept it in its place. And you are just screaming aloud early in the morning over something this stupid!"

And that fuelled my temper.
"Oh! Just because I did something wrong, absent mindedly yesterday, it means that you do the same in order to get back at me?"

"Obviously not! You think you are the only person in the world who can be absent minded! You think I would enjoy going to sleep on a wet bed? That was unintentional! Why on earth are you making such a big deal out of something this small?" he asked me seethingly

"You know what! I guess you are right... I am making a big deal out of something small... So I am going... I guess you are better off without me!" I replied and left the room in anger

Indrayan's pov:

When Sampurnaa woke me up in the morning, I thought it would be a good day ahead... But I was seriously wrong!

Unconditional love, romance and all that happens only in cliché love stories... And in reality... Arguments are more common than a kiss!

She was literally arguing with me over a towel! As if I kept it on the bed to get the sheets wet, purposely!
She walked out after we both had exchanged bitter words.

But now's the reason why I am not ready yet. I had kept a suit aside for wearing at the court today. I had kept it in Sampurnaa's side of the wardrobe as mine needed some cleaning and rearrangement... And when I came out of the washroom, after my bath, looking for it... It was nowhere to be found!

The rest of my suits had all been sent for dry cleaning. I was supposed to pick them up from the launderer three days ago, but I forgot... What do I do now?!

"Sampurnaa!" I called out to her
Maybe she had kept my suit somewhere else.
She came immediately after I called. I guess she knew from my way of calling her, that I needed help regarding something. Her face was blank and expressionless.
She just asked me what I wanted by raising her eyebrows.

"I had kept my suit in your side of the wardrobe... Have you kept it somewhere else?"

She thought for a while and then her eyes widened in realisation.  
"I just gave it to the launderer for dry cleaning along with my clothes."

I was already pissed off at the fight that we had and now this piece of news just pushed me over the edge.

"Who the hell asked you to give it for dry cleaning?" I asked her annoyed

She glared at my tone and words.
"It was your fault! You kept it with the clothes that I had sorted out for dry cleaning!"

I was too annoyed to care about anything that I was saying.

"Who on earth asked you to assume? That was mine! Didn't it occur to you that you could ask me once? It is so irresponsible of you! That was the only damn suit at home... The rest have been sitting at the launderers' for a week now! What on earth am I supposed to wear now?! Why did you have to give in things for cleaning today?"

She absorbed my words and then walked to the wardrobe. She opened my side of the wardrobe and brought out what appeared to be one of my suits.

She laid it on the bed and then took out her purse, rummaging about for something. I was a mere spectator to whatever was happening.
She took out a piece of paper and handed it to me.
"The next time you leave your laundry bills loosely about the house, I will remember that they are yours... And that I mustn't interfere. Next time onwards I'll remember that I am not supposed to breach your personal space, including your clothes and wardrobe." she told me softly and exited the room.

I was too numb to react... She had actually gone and picked up my laundry without me asking her to! She wasn't irresponsible at all...  But more responsible than what I'll ever be!

I began dressing up. It was 8.45 when I walked down. It was already late and I had to apologise to Sampurnaa for the bitter words that I uttered in a fit of rage.

"Where is Sampurnaa, Maa?" I asked her when I couldn't find my angry wife anywhere

"She left home without breakfast saying that it was late."

Oh God! I ran a hand through my hair while grabbing my car keys.

"Maa, I am going too. I am already late... I'll eat something later." I informed Maa and left home.

I know she isn't in a mood to speak to me; but I also know for a fact that she will be at the court for the hearing, irrespective of all situations.

I reached the court really late! Sampurnaa was seated in her usual place, next to Sridha. Unfortunately, I couldn't speak to her as the bailiff announced the justice's arrival.

The trial began.

"Your honour, I would like to call upon Mr. Aadesh Tripathi to the witness box."

The man came up to the witness box and was sworn in.
"Mr. Tripathi, according to a statement by the convicted Mr. Raj Matthews, you were the one who sent a special job application on his behalf. He stated that he had applied for a job through the rural Employment Guarantee Act and that you had sent in a letter of recommendation for him. What do you have to say about that?" I asked him

The defendant was quick to react.
"Objection your honour! The prosecutor is forgetting that the statement given to the police is non-admissable in the court!"

"Ma'am defendant, this statement wasn't given to the police. The convict specially requested for an audience with me and he told me this. I have a recording of this statement as well. Moreover, 'the police statement' that you are talking about can be changed into 'a court statement' simply by calling Mr. Raj Matthews to the witness box." I replied

"Objection overruled! Prosecutor, please ask the convict to step on into the witness box and state what you said he did. The questioning can proceed once the genuineness of the statement is confirmed." the justice said

I called upon the convict to the witness box.
"Mr. Matthews, will you please tell the court what you told me that day?"

"Your honour, I had applied for a job under the National Rural Employment Guarantee Act from my village. My wife was pregnant with our fourth child. The other three children barely got to eat since I didn't earn enough to feed them. When I did not get employment in 100 days' time, I requested the village sarpanch, Mr. Aadesh Tripathi to send in a letter of recommendation. He was the one who I got the job through. The pay was three times the money I initially earned in a month and the job offered was stable, hence I accepted his offer." he told the court

"Thank you Mr. Matthews. Your honour, I would like to resume questioning Mr. Tripathi."

The justice gave his approval and the village head was brought back to the witness box.

"Mr. Tripathi, you heard what Mr. Matthews had to say. What would you like to say on that to the court?" I asked him.

His expression concealed nothing; no anxiousness and no fear. He answered me in a composed manner, "I admit that I had sent in a letter of recommendation on his behalf. There were two departments where jobs were available at that time, one was the Health department, as a pharmacist and another was at the PWD as a daily wage labourer. Since the pay was better in the Health drpartment, I encouraged him to accept the job offered. The pharmacy he was offered work in was a government pharmacy."

I turned to the justice.
"Your honour, please note the fact that the job offered to the man was at a government aided pharmacy."

I turned to the man in the witness box.
"Generally, government run pharmacies, with concession on medicines are found on the premises of government hospitals; at rural and backward places and places where people are in need of the concession and discount on the medicines. The pharmacy where Mr. Matthews worked was located on Malabar Hill! It is one of the poshest and most developed areas of the city. There are no government run hospitals or government aided clinics there! Could you shed some light as to why the pharmacy was located at a place where people clearly did not need it?" I asked the man who stiffened slightly at my question.

The entire court waited with bated breath... How could he evade this question now?

Sampurnaa's pov:

I had an argument with him early in the morning.
Okay, I'll admit that the wet towel thing was a stupid topic to drag on, the way I did.... But how could he talk to me like that?

I was so angry at him, that I left home immediately after the fight, without breakfast and without even brushing my hair properly. I just grabbed my purse that had been kept downstairs near the dining table, for some freaking reason; and then walked out of the house.

I decided to travel by train. I don't need his Mercedes!

I reached the court at 9.30. Sridha and Zakir shot me weird glances when they saw me sitting alone, but I chose to ignore them.
He was really late in arriving. I was starting to worry at 9.55 a.m.
Was he alright? What was taking him so long? I had actually considered calling him once, forgoing my ego... But then he walked in, in a flustered state. I was relieved to see him safe... Irrespective of the anger that was still raging in my mind!

Mr. Aadesh Tripathi was present at the court, but the Health Minister wasn't anywhere in sight. I guess he chose to ignore the court's orders! Rich ministers and their connections!

The trial began and Indrayan asked Mr. Tripathi about the job that Mr. Matthews got and about the 'government run' pharmacy that was the epicentre of the drugs racket in South Bombay.

He also asked about the odd location of the pharmacy. Mr. Aadesh Tripathi did stiffen for a moment when the question was asked, but then he composed himself and replied.
The entire courtroom listened to him in curiosity.
"Umm... My brother wanted pharmacies to be in every accessible corner; for all the citizens... That is why, he...umm... Wanted the pharmacy opened there."

I noted down his statement. It is obvious from his tone that there is something amiss.

The justice decided to speak then.
"Speaking of your brother, Mr. Tripathi, do you happen to know why your brother isn't present at the court today, even after a direct order?"

"He had some prior commitment in New Delhi. I called him up yesterday at night... He told me that he has to inaugarate a few hospitals in the NCR."

I rolled my eyes. Inaugarate hospitals! He literally had places all over the country where female foeticide took place very conveniently!

The rest of the hearing did not reveal much. Anya confirmed that the Health Minister was directly involved in the drugs racket. She also told the court that most of the medicines sold at the government run pharmacy outlets were tampered and adulterated.
The hearing would have progressed for long had it not been for another hearing that was scheduled for the justice immediately afterwards. Even so, it was 2 p.m., when the court was adjourned. The next date was given to be 23rd. December.

I did not wait for a second after the court's adjournment. I walked out even before that man had a chance to speak a word.

"Sampurnaa! Wait!" I heard him calling me, but I really wasn't in a mood to speak to him

I know that I owe him an apology for the stupid outburst and the blunder that I did in the morning... But I was contemplating on whether or not I should apologise...

I was walking towards the auto rickshaw stand outside the court when someone caught hold of my wrist.

I turned behind abruptly and saw Indrayan standing there. He was really in a hot and bothered state. He was sweating and panting at the same time.

God! It must have taken some effort to run behind me,  that too in a suit, under the sun!
"It is winter! And... And I am literally in this state! Do you plan on listening to what I have to say, once? Please!" he spoke out still breathing heavily

In reply, I took out my water bottle from my handbag and handed it to him.

"I am sorry for making such a big issue over something that was seriously unintentional. Sorry for the blunder too. I did not know that the suit had been kept aside for you to wear today." I told him whilst he was sipping water

Feeling better at once, I turned back and resumed walking towards the rickshaw stand; without waiting for his reply.

"This isn't fair! You apologised and just walked away. You need to give me a chance too!" I heard him say

I stopped immediately, but did not turn to face him.

"I am sorry. Sorry because I spoke really rudely and rashly... I honestly did not mean any of it! I was already running late and then... I am just SORRY." he told me

I stood still, not reacting.

"Hey, at least look at me... Please!" he said, trying to cajole me

I turned and said, "I guess we are even then. It was my fault... I just should have been quiet... I just started quarreling over something really trivial. And I'll ask you about your clothes from next time."

"I will keep in mind that you are way more responsible than me! It wasn't your fault... I guess the fact that we both were running late was to blame our moods!" he said sighing

I nodded in agreement.
We both stood silently after that.

"How did you come here by the way?" he asked me finally breaking the silence

"By train. I travelled alone and by public transport before I married you... Trust me!" I informed him a bit sarcastically

"I simply asked... Don't take it otherwise!Not another argument now! Please! Court exhausts you anyways... All that questioning and civil arguments with the defendant! I am really not interested in fighting afain... That too with a journalist, who happens to be good at debating."

That made me smile.

I nodded. "Don't worry... I am not going to argue with you... One argument is enough!"

"Dinner tonight?" he asked me hesitatingly

"I hope it isn't a 'date'! Or is it?" I asked him

"Would you want it to be one?"

I grimaced. "Not after being married for over two weeks! Just a dinner... And since this is happening after an argument... That we both were in fault, you pay for the food and I pay for the drinks."
I told him

"Deal! Alcoholic or non-alcoholic?" he asked me

"Depends on which restaurant you are taking me to... And also on the mode of transport... Because if we both end up drinking... Then we might have to spend the night on the streets! No drinking and driving, you see!" I told him playfully

"Don't worry! I'll select a restaurant that is within walking distance from the house."

"By the way, I know for a fact that you skipped breakfast as it was already very late... Please do eat something later." I told him

"I will. And you must too. Okay?"

I nodded and then told him goodbye and went my way.
Tomorrow is a Sunday and an off day for me... So I guess I can take it easy!

Indrayan's pov:

We both apologised to one another. The issue has been resolved for now!
I asked her out for dinner as it is a Saturday today. She told me that she will be back by 8.30 tonight.
We need to talk a bit and spend some time together. Ever since our marriage, the only conversation we have at home is about the laundry, the clothes, the maid and sometimes food. The only conversation we have when we are out, is about the case, since we are out together only when we come to court, in the car. Moreover, I did talk to her really rudely today... A proper apology is surely required!

I went to my office after the hearing. I need to connect to the Health Minister once. It is necessary for me to know if he will be coming. I need to submit an affidavit in the court with his statement accordingly.

The rest of the day passed by with work piled up high. A couple more cases have come my way.
An elderly couple who have been cheated by their son and daughter in-law have just approached me and a lady who is pregnant with her estranged husband's child wants me to file a case of rape, abuse and cheating against the man. I am not really keen on taking up a new case till the existing case is sorted, but both of them have really requested me... Especially the helpless couple. I need to think and decide once...

But for now... I need to get home and get dressed for dinner. I hope Madame Journalist returns home on time!

To be continued...

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro