62. Allegiance

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Dedicated to SusmitaRoy9 thank you maa! For everything! I love you.

"I wouldn't ask for the world because I know you can't give it to me... However, I'd like to ask for your love and loyalty today... So we can make a small one of our own."

-Elegiac_Damsel

Sampurnaa's pov:

He was driving when I asked him, "Can we go to my parents' place tonight? We won't stay the night... Just you know to meet them, Dada and Boudi... I mean..."

He cut me off.
"I am never going to say no unless or until I have some emergency or urgent work to do. And right now, I have neither. So we are going there."

My face lit up.
"I know you want to go and meet them especially because the verdict was given at the court today. They are your parents, Sampurnaa. Why the hell do you have to ask me?" he asked me perplexed

"I mean I don't think I am one of those orthodox husbands!" he ran his hand through his hair.

I smiled and replied, "I never asked you like that. I just asked you because it has been a long day, and it is totally natural of you to feel tired. Moreover, it is a working day tomorrow... You will have work right."

"Yes. But you forget that I am self-employed and that one case just drew to a close. I can afford to go in a bit late... But you are the one with a job that needs you to report on time." he told me

"Hmmm. When will Maa and Dad be back?" I asked him

"They have someone's wedding to attend... So I guess they will be back by 19th January."

"When they come back, I'll definitely make something special for today. Take the next right. It will be less congested." I directed him and he obliged

And like that we drove towards Chembur.
On the way, we stopped at a hypermarket as I wanted to buy something for Boudi. Indrayan was really agitated when he saw the bill amounting to Rs. 2000

"You are buying all this chocolates and cookies and what not for Adrija? Unbelievable! She has never got me a single toffee... And you are spending on her like this!"

I glared at him.
"She's the one who is pregnant... So I am gifting her what she likes. I am really excited to see if she's showing now! You know Dada was telling me..." and then I went on to tell him about what she likes eating and what she had been craving

"Okay. Stop! I am not saying anything now." he finally told me surrendering

I laughed and then the two of us went towards the billing counter

He was about to pay, but then I took out my card and swiped it before he could.

"Don't worry, Mister... I have enough resources at the moment." I informed him with a smirk

"Yeah... I can see that... How about a thank you gift for me?" he asked me

I nodded and asked him to wait.

"What's this mop for?" he asked me stupefied

"A little thank you gift for you." I replied almost struggling to stifle my laughter

He looked at me incredulously.

"What? The house needed a new mop anyways!" I told him shrugging and obviously concealing my mirth

We reached my home.
I went and rang the door bell. Maa opened the door. She had a rolling pin in her hand which explains that she was cooking.

"Hi, Maa! How are you doing?" I asked her smiling widely

"I would have hugged you as a greeting had I not got dough in my hand right now." she replied and then scurried off to wash her hands

I entered the house as did Indrayan.
Baba was sitting in front of the TV totally oblivious to the fact that I had come.

"Did Shona call? Looks like they just won the case today. The final verdict is out." he was telling my mother

Before she could reply, "Your Shona did not call. She just brought herself here in order to meet you."
I told him while putting my arms around his neck from behind. Baba immediately turned and then smiled after seeing me.
He hugged me properly and then asked me to go and meet Boudi, who was in her room along with Dada.

I skipped to Dada-Boudi's room and knocked. Once one of them asked me to come in, I opened the door and walked in.

"Bonu, tui?" (Li'l sis... You?) Dada asked

"No. It is my ghost, you fool!" I told him and hugged him immediately.

"I missed you." he told me

Boudi came inside from the balcony and immediately hugged me.

"Boudi! It is so good to see you! Oh My God! You have started showing!" I exclaimed excitedly

"You are indirectly calling me fat?" she asked me in reply

Where did that come from? Oh God! She should stop assuming things!

"Boudi" I told her gently, "I am really excited to see my little nephew or niece growing in there. You look beautiful and more radiant"

She smiled and I asked her to come out into the living room.
Her brother had very conveniently got engaged in a conversation with his father in-law while watching the news.

I went to the living room and Maa was serving Baba and Indrayan coffee.

"Maa, you made coffee for Indrayan. What about me?" I asked her

"Before that, I think I gave you specific instructions to not address your husband by his name!" she told me sternly.

I whined. "He doesn't mind. Moreover, he calls me by my name... So aren't we even?"

She shook her head disapprovingly

"Sampurnaa! Behave!" she put down my mug of coffee and then walked back into the kitchen

"Tomay ami bolechhilam! (I had told you) Now, see Maa is angry with me!" I told Indrayan in despair

"I'll speak to her about this. But please I beg of you... Do not call me something like 'Ei je shuncho?' (hey! Are you listening?)You already do that while waking me up or for calling me to dinner... But I really don't want you to start that in normal conversation."

I nodded while biting my lip from laughing at the two absolutely contradictory wishes.

Boudi walked in just then. She hugged her brother first and then asked him, "Did you get anything for me?"
He said no. Her face became sad and I just wanted to kill my husband for that!

"Boudi, we both have got things for you. Just a minute."
I went and got the bag with the chocolates and cookies and she smiled happily

I glared at Indrayan and he mouthed a 'sorry'.

"Shona! Help me serve, will you!" Maa asked me to go out in order to help her
I got up and went to the kitchen.

"Are you happy there?" she asked me without any preamble

I answered her while picking up one of the plates, "Yes, Maa. I am happy there."

"Is your relationship okay, baby? Do you think you two are adjusting alright? Tell me honestly..."

I sighed.
"Maa, I am happy there. I think things are going fine... At least for now. I promise I'll tell you if there is anything that I need to."

She nodded and the two of us exited the kitchen with the plates and the food.

Indrayan's pov:

Has anyone ever 'gifted' you a mop; as a token of thanks?
Well, my wife gifted me one!

We were currently eating dinner at my in-laws with my darling sister chatting away with her sister in-law.
"Boudi, have you thought of any names?" Sampurnaa asked Adrija

"You know right that we still have 4 months in hand?" Abhimanyu asked his sister

She nodded. "4 months are going to fly Dada! And very soon, my little nephew or niece would be here!"

I was amused by her enthusiasm.
"Sampurnaa, you already ensured that the baby's nursery was done by November i.e., precisely 6 months before its birth... Do you plan on getting clothes and a wardrobe ready after this?" Adrija asked her

"Yes. I will buy gender neutral clothes... That way there wouldn't be any problem." she told with determination and conviction in her voice

Her parents exchanged looks and then began laughing

"What happened, Baba?" I asked abruptly

"I just got reminded of Sampurnaa's childhood. As a child, we had taken her to buy dolls at a fair. She was more interested in buying utensils... And when we asked her why, her reply was, 'Maa buys utensils for her home... I also need to buy my own for my family, right?'" he told me laughing

Abhimanyu chose that moment to enlighten me further, "Not just that! There was a wedding going on in our neighbourhood when she was 6. She woke up at the crack of dawn on the wedding day so she could attend all the rituals! And when Maa got her an anarkali suit to change into, she asked her why she couldn't wear a red saree like the bride! She has always been very futuristic... Isn't it Bonu?"
The last question was obviously asked sarcastically... And Sampurnaa blushed red in embarrassment

"I was a small kid then, Dada! And I got married a few months ago... Not keen on wearing a red saree anymore!" she told him

Her mother was quick to react to that, "Never say that again! Red is the signifier of a married woman."

I sighed helplessly... No wonder Sampurnaa was a unique combination of modern ideology, traditions, sarcasm and craziness. It all runs in the family!

The two of us left at 11. Her mother tried to convince the two of us to stay over as it was so late... But we both had work the next day.
Sampurnaa was driving this time. She is comfortable driving on empty and deserted roads.

"Are you taking up the cases of the woman and the elderly couple?" she asked me when we stopped at a red signal

"I guess I am. The first hearings do not clash... So I guess I can give it a try." I replied to her honestly

"By the way, did you check your twitter account?" she asked me out of nowhere

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion.
"No. I didn't... Any reason I have to check?"

"Check it once... The Prime Minister tweeted tagging you and me!" she replied happily

I chuckled at her.
"You are happy because the PM tweeted tagging you?" I asked her in amusement

"Yes... He is the PRIME MINISTER? It isn't everyday that he tweets tagging a newbie reporter like me... I guess I was a bit excited." she confessed

"You are a bit crazy!" I told her honestly

"Yeah. I know... That is the reason why I agreed to marry the first man whose proposal was brought to me." she replied sassily

I rolled my eyes at her and the rest of the ride home was quiet.

"Have you fallen asleep already?" I heard Sampurnaa ask me

We both had changed after coming back home and were currently on bed

I turned to face her, in reply to her question.

"I just wanted to say Thank You. You don't know what you did for me, for the women there, for us! I am really so proud of you! I am just feeling overwhelmed.... Thank You!" she said looking into my eyes

I smiled at her in response. "I asked you to stop thanking me. And I guess you already got me a Thank You gift!" I told her so referring to that mop she had very kindly purchased for the household

She laughed at me.
I looked at her as she laughed... For some reason, it just well looked attractive.

"I have something to ask you, Sampurnaa." I told her softly

"Go ahead."

"Initially, you were scared of me and my touch... Are you okay now or do you still feel insecure and phobic?"

Instead of replying, she scooted closer to me and put an arm around my waist while looking up at me.

"Had I not been okay with you, then you and I wouldn't have been together, under the same roof, alone." she whispered softly

A smile made its way onto my face and I kissed her forehead softly before putting an arm around her waist.
And that is how we both drifted off to sleep.

12th January

Sampurnaa woke me up at 6 today.

"Can we please go out today? It is my day off and well, you have a holiday too! Can we please go out somewhere?" she asked me the moment I sat up on the bed

"Good morning to you too." I told her sarcastically

She smiled, oblivious to my tone and wished back.

"See... Yesterday I know that we had a fight about who is doing the laundry... But please don't refuse! I did the laundry today also! Just let us go out somewhere!" she told me earnestly

Yes... We did have a fight yesterday... Again!

Flashback:

"Sampurnaa, have you seen my jeans?" I called out to her from our room

She was in the kitchen and couldn't hear what I was saying.

I walked to the stairs and called out to her again.
This time she replied, "Your voice is incoherent. Please come here and tell me"

Irritated, I walked into the kitchen only to see a pile of clothes lying in the laundry bag

"You haven't washed them yet? I gave you these clothes 3 days ago!" I asked her astonished. Usually, she isn't the one who tolerates dirty clothes or floors!

"Well, I have washed my own clothes... Since you did not... You are forgetting that it was your chance to do the laundry this week. You forgot, hence I left your clothes for you... So that you remember from next time." she explained to me with a static smile

I was honestly pissed off!

"You know that I have a job! I can't always do the laundry."

"Excuse me! I also have a job to do... And it is much more than just the laundry! You know very well that I am the one who is doing the cooking this week... The least you could do was help me with the laundry... Even so, I had to do my clothes by myself!" she shot back

"You just had to turn on that damn washing machine... Why couldn't you give my clothes for washing too?"

"Simple. Because I wanted you to know that I am not going to do the work that you forget to do!" she told me

The two of us did not speak till at night yesterday... That too only after I offered to make the dinner!

End of flashback

"Okay! We are going out... but where and why do you want to go out today?" I asked her

"Why don't you take a bath and get ready? Let us discover where we'll be going while driving today!" she replied and thrusted my towel in my hand

"No breakfast at home, by the way! We are simply going out today." she told me and walked away

I got up from bed and selected my clothes for the day.
"God knows where we'll be going!" I thought to myself as I went off to take a bath.

"Okay! First stop... We are going to ISKCON Temple, Juhu." she informed me as I started the car's engine

She was dressed in a saree today... For a change.

"You are dressed in a saree today? Any particular reason?" I asked her

She shook her head, "I wore a saree because:
1. I was bored of wearing modern clothes. I was looking for something different to wear since I wanted to visit the temple today. And when I opened the wardrobe, a saree fell on my face. I wasn't in a mood to fold it, so I decided to wear it
2. I woke up early and had enough time to drape a saree."

"Who taught you to drape a saree by the way? You know Adrija needed the help of 3 dressers and beauticians to drape and pin her saree in place for her wedding! And from what I have seen, most women nowadays don't know how to drape sarees." I asked her

"Most women, huh? Mr. Chakraborty, how many have you met?" she asked me playfully

"And to answer your question, when I was in the USA, there are several Indian festivals that were celebrated there. Most women who live there, aren't used to draping sarees or managing themselves... So they tend to hire someone for that job. It is literally $5 for each saree that you drape... Back then it seemed like a great way to make some extra pocket money, so I used YouTube and learnt it myself... That is how I am an expert at draping sarees, you see!" she told me while upping her invisible collars

"Wow! What an innovative way of earning money! Wish I knew it when I was abroad!"

"And then you would go around looking at women in their blouses and petticoats huh?" she asked me with a ting of jealousy and anger

"No, ma'am... I wouldn't do that... And even if I walk into a woman in a compromising situation, I am never going to think of her in any other way."

She smiled and the two of us chatted all the while.

We just left the temple. What caught me by surprise was the fact that Mrs. Sampurnaa loves singing devotional songs! She literally knew the lyrics to every single bhajan or kirtan that was being sung.

"Where next?" I asked her

"You decide this time."

I thought for a moment and then decided.
"We are going to R City, Ghatkopar."

"For what?"

"Passing the time." came my genius reply

It is 5 p.m now. The two of us did go to the mall... But we got immensely bored and then decided to simply drive around.

Right now, we are headed to Marine Drive, for watching the sunset.

"You remember when we last came here?" I asked Sampurnaa while parking the car

"Yes. You were angry with me for snapping at the defendant! And later, we had ice cream too."

"Yeah... Have you ever noticed that there are so many couples here all the time?" I asked her observing our surroundings

She answered, "Truth be told, I noticed them when I was unmarried and would come with my friends or family... But now that I am married and am here with my husband, don't you think that it will be ironical of me to judge?"

I nodded agreeing to her stand.

We both went and sat on the bench overlooking the sea. The sun was gradually going down the horizon.

"May I ask you a question?"

"Yes, you obviously can." I asked her to go ahead

"When one sees the sun setting... They have different takes on the scenario... What's yours?" she asked me, but her gaze was focused on the sea and the warm colour of the sky

I introspected her question for a few moments before answering, "The sun sets for the moon to rise... For the stars to twinkle and shine. What's your take on it?"

She looked at me. The sunlight falling on her eyes, made them gleam and shine.
"I believe that there is a lot that humans can learn from a sun set. Just as the sun sets everyday, the pain that humans carry would also set from their lives. Just as the sun and the horizon always come together at the beginning and at the end of the day, humans must not abandon their peers... The sun is an epitome of loyalty and allegiance. It provides light to the moon... It must set, for the moon to shine... And that is what it does... Humans must instill that quality in them; to support one another, to love one another, unconditionally. And most importantly... To give like the sun and to expect nothing in return, from the moon."

To be continued...

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro