64. Promise

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

"I don't know what the ethical punishments of breaking a promise are... But I know that you'll lose my faith, the day you fail to keep your promise."

-Elegiac_Damsel
_________
2nd March

Sampurnaa's pov:

Days have been going well. Boudi enters her 7th month of pregnancy. I have been trying to go and meet her every week. Dada literally called me and begged me to take her away. Boudi heard his conversation with me and announced that she'll spend the last two months of her pregnancy with us. It isn't exactly out of anger that she took this decision, but because she wants to spend some time with her own parents at her own house. Moreover, Dada is going on an official tour for a month. She is supposed to go on maternity leave from tomorrow, so I have come to pick her up.

"Dada, she is going to her own home. We don't need to refer to all this for taking care of her." I told him when he handed me 6 books on how to take care of an expecting woman

"You have no experience in carrying a child, Sampurnaa. Please take the books he is giving and read at least two of them. That way Adrija will be well cared for by you as well as the others at home." Maa told me gently

Sighing, I took the books and put them in one of the bags that Boudi was supposed to take with her.
Boudi hugged Dada and he kissed her forehead lightly.
"Dada, you are most welcome at my in-laws' place anytime." I told him pointedly

"You are forgetting that the same place has been my in-laws' for the last 5 years." he replied with a smirk

"But I bet that I have lived there longer than you did in these 3 months than you have in 5 years!" I told him sticking my tongue out at him

"I can't argue to that." he finally accepted his defeat

I took Boudi's suitcase and Dada followed us into the building's parking lot with two bags in his hand.
Boudi got inside the car and I began stowing the luggage in the trunk.

"That white bag is her emergency bag. It contains her medical reports in case she has to be taken for any checkup during an emergency. And the other bag contains her books and heating pad. In case, she has any pain or bloating, massage her feet. Always ensure that she sits straight and not in a slouched posture that might give pressure on her womb. Am I clear?" Dada told me just as I was getting into the driving seat

I reassured him and then just before I drove away, I decided to say, "Dada, I am proud of the way you turned out to be... I am really happy that you care so much about Boudi."
He smiled and waved us goodbye just as I started the engine.

"How have you been doing Sampurnaa? Are you happy with my brother?" Boudi asked me

I sighed. "I have been okay with him. Actually, I haven't been able to spend much time with him for the past one month. I had to give up on all my off days as I have to take leave for 3 days next week. It is Priyanka's wedding, I have to go to Chennai. Leaving that aside, I had to go on two training programs last month to Delhi and Bengaluru. I wasn't at home for two weeks then... And when I was at home, your brother had subsequent hearings at the court. I have even returned home so late, for the last entire week. He stays up for me, but we both have no energy left at 2 or 3 in the morning, for talking." I confided in her

She nodded understanding.
"You miss him?" she asked me out of nowhere

"I do miss spending time with him." I confessed

"Maybe you can sort things out after talking. You can't afford a communication gap so early on during the course of married life." she advised

We reached home in an hour. Dad and Maa were at home and Boudi hugged her father in sheer joy.
I unloaded the luggage and carried the bags inside when a hand came and grabbed the suitcase from my hand.
"Why don't you carry the two bags and lock the car before coming?"
It was Indrayan.
I nodded and went of to do the needful.

"Boudi, you are not sleeping in your old room. I have arranged one of the guestrooms on the ground floor for you to occupy. It will be difficult to climb the steps every time." I explained her once I had kept her things in the room

"And once I am back after the wedding, I'll shift into the neighbouring room, in case you need any help." I told her
She nodded and went off to her room.

I asked Maa about dinner and she told me that she had already cooked for Adri Boudi tonight. She asked me to go and rest instead as I had been working without a break for the last 3 weeks. I went to our room and took a seat at the study table, putting my head down.

The last one month has been even more stressful for Indrayan as he has been juggling three cases. The men who had been convicted following the initial verdict, are now roaming as free birds and coming to the court each day, in order to lie through their teeth. I haven't been able to attend any of the hearings apart from the very first one.
Sridha is really tired of it all. She called me up a few days ago and told me that the men had tried to degrade her character and had labelled her a 'prostitute' in their statement. I was furious but I had nothing that I could do.
She further told me that Indrayan had been issued around three warnings because he had reacted severely when one of the men stated that 'they had paid to sleep with me'. It did make me feel proud that he cared for me and defended me when needed... But I really don't want him sitting at home, unemployed and jobless after being kicked out of the court.
The next hearing is supposed to be next month and I hope I get to go to the court this time.

"Howmany days are we meeting one another after?" I heard a voice asking me

I looked up and it was my husband.

"Actually, we met everyday... But only late at night, that is the reason why it is almost as good as not meeting one another." I corrected him

"Yeah right! That isn't meeting one another... That is more like crossing paths, isn't it?"

His tone seemed to be off. Somehow, somewhere, her had something more to say.

"Ki hoeche, sheta bolo!" (Tell me what has happened!) I told him, immediately standing up

"I don't know what has happened! You have the entire world to care for and think about... And you never bother to ask me anything! You even gave up on your off-days! You were away for two weeks and you are going to go again next week. You went to pick up Adrija and told her that you would be shifting out of our room! Why do you forget that I need some time with you too?"

His outburst got me stunned.

"I did not forget you! How can I forget you?"

"Really? That is your comeback? We barely got married 3 months ago and we barely spoke to one another for one entire month out of these three months! And you are going to attend someone else's wedding next week... For which you sacrificed your day offs." he seethed

"I am confused. What is it that you have a problem with? You told me that you would always support me with my job... And I was doing my job when I went for the training and when I returned late each night. What are you angry about?" I asked him, tears welling up

In our marriage of 3 months... I had never seen him this pissed of at me...
I don't know why, maybe he thinks that I am a failure, a failure as his wife!

Indrayan's pov:

This past one month has been really hectic, frustrating and lonely! I had been fine alone, all these years, but now it just seems difficult.

Sampurnaa had training programs to attend. She was away from the city for two entire weeks. I know it is weird... But it won't be wrong to say that I missed her!

The room seemed empty... The days she was in Mumbai, she would be late, as late as 2 or 3 a.m.! We barely got to exchange a few words... And although she called me everyday when she was out of town, it was mostly a conversation about how things are going on at home, if I had my food on time and about Maa and Dad's health.

Today, when I saw her after such a long time... I couldn't help but get all my anger out...

She had tears in her eyes. Oh God! She thought I was taunting her about her job!

"Sampurnaa" this time I spoke in a gentler tone, "I am not ever going to say anything about your job, your career or your dreams. If I ever do that, then you should know that I never really deserved you. I am... Well... Just upset because we didn't meet in days! I missed you." I told her confessing softly

She lifted her eyelashes and asked me, "You really missed me?"

"Yes, I did. I am sorry that I made you cry. I should have put my words in better sentences and spoken in a gentler tone." I told her while wiping her tears

"I am sorry... If I couldn't be the right wife. I just..." I cut her off by pecking her cheek, very close to her lips.

"Right wife? Is that even a thing?" I asked her, playfully, straightening my posture

She looked up at me, annoyed this time, "First things first, you just made me cry... And now you are making fun of me? Secondly, you aren't the only one who missed me... I missed you too."

My lips stretched into a smile when she said that.

"You are going to Chennai next week?" I asked her

"Yes. It is Priyanka's wedding on the 8th. I will go on the 6th, by the night flight. The pre-wedding rituals start on the 7th. I will be back on 9th." she informed me

I nodded and took my seat on the edge of the bed.

"Dada is going to be out of town for the entire month. He is supposed to return next month... But Boudi wants to stay here till her delivery." she told me out of the blue

"You are shifting out of our room right after you get back from Chennai?" I asked her
"Yes, I need to. What if Boudi needs something at night? Someone needs to be there, right? If Dada comes back next month and remains here, then I wouldn't have to worry much... But till he comes, it is totally my responsibility to take care of her."

I nodded. I can't be selfish in this case; Adrija needs help more than me. Besides, Sampurnaa and I don't do anything else at night other than talking!

"Would you like some more, my princess?" Dad asked Adrija while serving her cake

She nodded excitedly. I rolled my eyes.
"Why are you rolling your eyes at me?" Adrija asked me

"Nothing, princess!"

"That is only something that Dad calls me... Not you!" she told me annoyed.

I was about to retort but then she choked as she had been talking while eating.
Sampurnaa was quick to react... She immediately got up from her place at the table and poured Adrija some water in a glass. She rubbed her back while Adrija sipped the water, still coughing.

"Boudi! He will not say anything to you now. Please eat quietly this time." she told my sister strictly yet worried

I was amused at her... Honestly, she is talking to Adrija like a hostel warden!

We all continued to eat, other than Sampurnaa. She waited till Adrija was done. After that, she led her sister in-law to her room and even kept a few chocolates by her bedside.
"Please do eat them if you feel hungry at night. And please just call me if you need anything." she instructed her

Once she was done keeping the heating pad, chocolates, a book and water by Adrija's side, she proceeded towards the dining table, where her unfinished meal remained. She sat down quietly and finished her food.

"You go up. I'll clean the table." I told her when she was about to get the cleaning rag from the kitchen

"Thank you." she told me with a smile and walked away

When I got back to our room, Sampurnaa was standing in the balcony. I crept behind her and snaked my arms around her waist.

"Why do you always have to scare me?"
"Because that is fun?" I replied nonchalantly

"I heard what happened at the court. Why can't you keep your temper in check?" she asked me sternly

I shifted guiltily.
"I'll be careful and more patient from next time."

She leaned against my chest and sighed.

"What's wrong?" I asked her

"I don't know... I am just feeling really tired... The past month has been crazy! I was out of town most of the month... The days I was in town and at home, you had your hearings! An entire month simply flew past us!" she complained

I chuckled at her expression.

"We should compensate for the lost time, don't you think?" I asked her in a teasing way

"Yeah, you are right. I should definitely compensate for my lost sleep!" she laughed and released herself from my grip before running away

She went and took her seat on the edge of the bed. There was a book that she had in her hand.
"100 Superfoods: guide to an easy pregnancy" I read from the cover

She was quite engrossed in the book.
"Sampurnaa, I didn't know that you wanted a baby this soon"

That caught her attention and a pillow came and hit my head.
"You know very well that I am reading it for Boudi's sake. And why don't you shut up and catch up on some sleep instead of talking nonsense?"

"I think I am going to sue you for domestic violence." I told her seriously while keeping the pillow back on the bed.

She rolled her eyes and returned back to reading.

"Boudi is not getting any soft drinks from tomorrow. Highly carbonated drinks are very unsafe for the baby." Sampurnaa told me when I sat down on my side of the bed

"Why exactly are you telling me this?" I asked her incredulously

"Because she is your sister. You need to know a thing or two about pregnancies... She might need your help too! You know what, just wait, I have 5 more books on pregnancies... Why don't you read one?" she suggested

"I agree that the two cases I had going in the court, have just been sorted... But that doesn't mean that I have to read a book on pregnant women! My sister's pregnancy at that!"

She did not pay heed to what I said, instead a book was thrusted into my hand.
"Caring for the expecting Mother" I read the title

I flipped through a few pages, quite bored. It was all about how the mother is always supposed to be in an emotionally stable state and that everyone around must not comment on her physique as that might induce a complex in the mother. I read about 20 pages and then kept the book aside.
Sampurnaa was still reading with utmost attention. I kept my spectacles on the side table and then snatched the book from her hands.
"What is wrong with you? Why did you snatch it away?" she asked me annoyed

"I just wanted to talk."  I told her

"Okay! Say what you have to say." she folded her arms and looked straight at me, urging me to go ahead.
"How's the wedding going to be like, next week?"

"Well, back in High school, Priyanka and I discussed a lot about weddings... So I am well aware of the rituals and ceremonies, but I am really excited to attend all of them!" she told me excitedly

"Umm, will you wear the new saree that I gifted you on Bou-bhaat?" I asked her while rubbing my nape

"I will. But isn't that a bit bridal?" she asked me

"Maybe. But you are also a new bride." I told her and she blushed

I went closer to her and whispered in her ear, "Why are you blushing like you did at our wedding?"

She hit me on my shoulder and looked away.
"It was my wedding! I was feeling very shy... Moreover, I was the centre of attraction then... Everyone was just waiting for me to remove the betel leaves!"

"You know that day, since the time I had arrived, random people who came to meet me were saying that you looked beautiful. Adrija too! She told me so when you had just arrived at the altar."

"Yeah... That is precisely what I will be doing next week. I am surely going to tease Priyanka and tell her how handsome her groom looks!" she told me with a smile

We both were silent for a few moments.
"Sampurnaa, when can you take 10 days of leave at one go?" I asked her after sometime

She looked surprised. "That was an unexpected question from your end! Well... I suppose, sometime in May. The new financial year begins from April, so I guess May is okay."

"Would you like to go somewhere with me?" I asked her

She smiled and replied, "As long as it isn't the court!"
"Who's talking about court? I was thinking of our impending honeymoon." I told her while smirking

Her eyes widened. 
"Only if you are comfortable. Moreover, I'll never do anything without your consent. Even if our marriage lasts decades... I promise I'll always ask you for your assent." I told her immediately

Instead of replying to that, I felt a soft kiss on my cheek. "Did I ever say anything about that? I know you well enough to know that you are a good man."

"I have a lot to talk to you about though! Just listen!" she tells me immediately, not even giving me a moment

I gesture her to go ahead.
"I don't know if the baby is a boy or a girl... But we are going shopping once I am back. We need to buy clothes, toys and we need to keep our house stocked with everything... Diapers, baby wipes... And so much more. And then there is..."
She went on blabbering but I ceased paying attention.

As if on auto-pilot, I leaned closer to her. She stopped talking immediately and looked at me intensely.
Her lips parted and that urged me to kiss her then and there.... But I need to know if she would be okay

"Is this okay with you?" I asked her, my voice came out a bit huskily

She blinked in reply while looking down.
I took her hands in mine and pulled her closer to me. She breathed heavily... I snaked one arm around her waist and another behind her neck. I stroked her cheek with my thumb and felt her shiver. Slowly, I leaned in and pecked her lips. She smiled against my lips and that is when I captured her lips with mine. I took her lower lip between mine and sucked on it slightly.
She was still for the first few moments but then she got the wind of things. Her hand went to my hair and she started kissing me back slowly. I pulled her closer, she was almost lying on me. Her hands tugged my hair softly as a feverent moan escaped her lips.

I released her a few minutes later when I could sense her breathlessness.

Her cheeks were flushed and her breathing was erratic. She distanced herself from me and was about to get up from the bed when I grabbed her wrist and pulled her back into position.
I leaned closer, this time to her ear and whispered, "I love you."

She blushed more and I heard her say softly yet distinctly, "I love you too"

To be continued...

A/N

Please comment to let me know if I am writing alright.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro