Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

The morning sun woke me and instinctively I went to brush Harry's limbs off me but there was nothing -no one- sprawled over me. He hadn't come back. I took a few deep breaths and told myself that he would be alright, he had survived by himself for weeks before I had met him.

I got up and looked out the window, expecting him to be sat by the front door after being locked out but he wasn't there. I tried not to fret, telling myself that he was probably sleeping on the sofa downstairs and I was stressing for no reason.

Making my way down the stairs, I strained my ears to listen out for his heavy breathing but I heard nothing other than the birds outside. The living room was empty- not a Harry in sight.

Closing my eyes, I tried to rationalise my brain. He could have gone anywhere in the village, for all I knew he could have been sleeping with some woman he had met in a pub.

"He'll be back soon," I whispered to myself to calm my nerves but something didn't sit well in my stomach. Surely he would have come home after his walk?

The morning passed and Judy tried to console my doubts but I was still worried about him; he had left in a bad state of mind, he was upset and scared. I was worried that he would do something terrible.

After lunch time, I decided I needed to go out looking for him. He had to be somewhere in the village- right? The cool sea breeze hit me as I stepped outside and I couldn't help feeling like the day would have been so enjoyable if I wasn't so preoccupied with finding a certain curly haired teenager.

Walking around the Main Street in the village, I looked out for Harry. But he was nowhere in sight and I began to fear the worst. He wouldn't have killed himself? Surely not?

Beginning to get desperate, I walked to the newsagent where Harry and I had gone in hopes of finding refuge days before. There was no one else in the shop and the man behind the counter looked up with surprise- I guessed that business wasn't exactly going well.

"Sorry to bother you, but have you seen a curly haired fifteen year old boy recently?" I asked quietly, remembering how quickly the man had aggravated when I first met him.

"Your friend? Nope," he said before opening a newspaper, signalling the end of our conversation but I wasn't going to be so easily silenced.

"You sure? It's just he went missing last night and I'm getting really worried about him," I didn't care how desperate or pathetic I sounded. All I cared about was getting Harry back.

The thought of living without him was so foreign- we had been together 24/7 for days. Weeks almost. Time had flown with him in tow, and I was losing track of the days as they passed. Living without him would be like falling back down into a darker world. A grey, mundane world.

The man took off his glasses and looked at me pityingly, "You know, coming to think of it, I did see someone boarding the night bus to London wearing a coat a lot like your friend's."

"Thank you for your time," I choked out before turning away, trying to hide the tears that were welling in my eyes. Harry had left me.

Walking back to Judy's, I tried to pinch myself, just to see if everything was really happening. It was unlike him to just leave, without a reason. Without saying goodbye. I didn't know how I was going to explain it to Judy- I was going to have to tell her about his past. About why he left in such a terrible mood.

"I shouldn't have let him go!" I shouted to the sky which was a crystal blue. It would have been such a nice day for a walk with Harry, down to the beach where we could skim stones and talk about the crazy sides of life. But he was gone.

Walking back inside the house, Judy greeted me at the door and was immediately concerned by the way I looked. My eyes were red, and a few tears had escaped and were rolling down my cheeks. I felt like I had cried so much, I felt weak.

"He's gone," I croaked out, "He got on a bus going to London."

Judy hugged me in the hallway as I began to weep, and I couldn't help thinking about all Harry and I had been through. We had gone through so much and he left without even explaining himself. Maybe he thought I would come with him, maybe he was sick of me.

"You know you've got to keep living your life Matilda," Judy told me as we sat down at the table, "You can't let this stop you from having a life."

"Harry was the only good thing that had ever happened to me," I cried out, balling up my fists at the injustice of it all. Why did the only thing that had bettered my life have to leave?

"Well make more good things Matilda, Harry is not everything in life," she was scolding me and reminded me of a grandmother. I smiled slightly at her, even though her words held no substance to me.

Harry was my everything. And I hated that I had to admit that.

Harry is gone... What will happen now to Matilda? You'll have to wait and see ;)

Please vote and comment if you enjoyed :)

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro