#34: Advancement

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

"Again..."

A boy with black hair let out a rough breath as he kneeled in the middle of a deserted and barren land; built on rocky mountains. The dusty wind whipped around his pale coloured face, with his thin shirt blowing violently as he tried to claw his way out of the situation he was put in. Narrowing his dark eyes, his bangs were blown back, showing marks inflicted on his face.

"Why do I see you..."

Letting out a weak smile, he rose to his feet, before collapsing back down with a yell. Standing up once more, he was gusted to the floor once again by the wind that carried sand. Exhausted, he let himself sink into the rocky floor that was covered in fine brown grains, only for a couple seconds, before sitting up with a determined scowl. Curling his hands into fists, he rubbed the gritty sand between his fingers and palms, feeling their coarse texture roughen his already torn skin.

"In my head..."

Getting on his feet again, the boy continued recklessly clawing forward, reaching out towards the icy sun that dried out the back of his throat. He was in a heat haze, feeling the conflicting wind and blazing sun collide into him simultaneously.

"Stop it..."

He gritted his teeth together tightly, and continued to stumble ahead, not caring that he was being held back by the terrain in front of him. He had fallen and tumbled to the floor again and again, but each time he did, he got up with an impassioned, burning look in his glimmering eyes.

"I don't want to be reminded..."

Feeling the pockets in his trousers becoming heavy, he emptied the debris inside of them, and let out a ragged breath. The boy grinned with a toothy smile and laughed.

"About those days."

Engrossed in his visions, Ayato slowly tipped backwards while in his leather chair. Feeling his knees hump against the clean, but not neat, desk; he shuddered, jerking forward with cold sweat running down his brow and cheek. His rainbow coloured eyes were wide open, and escaping his mouth were small breaths that shook in time with his distraught heart beat. Grabbing his head with his hands, he steadied himself, and focused on the gentle sound of rain inside to feel calm and at ease.

"Branch Manager Korastacker. Your guests have arrived."

Opening the door of his office, Ayato's assistant bowed, stepping to the side and gesturing to the two people that came with him. Standing at the door way with serious yet nervous faces, Rukia and Zeon stepped inside the office's blue carpeted floor.

"Long time no see." Rukia said.

(Opening here)

"And now we were the key to completing it..."

"You two are earlier than expected." Ayato commented, taking two plastic seats from the side of his room and carrying them over to in front of his desk. "If I knew you guys were coming earlier, I would've set up by now."

"Everything had played into the Void's hands..."

"Haha, sorry." Rukia said, looking around Ayato's workspace. The room was painted in a shiny white, with a row of fluorescent lights hanging above them, creating a warm atmosphere in conjunction to the chaotic space. With only the desk having any semblance of care put into it, the rest of the room was scattered with various boxes, dying plants and drawers with papers falling out of them. Unimpressed by Ayato's lack of keeping things tidy and together, Rukia shook her head. "Have you ever considered investing some time in cleaning this place up?"

"By some stroke of fate..."

"Huh?" Ayato asked, walking over to the makeshift kitchen in the corner of his office. It involved a small black table with a couple plugs next to it, a portable stove, a kettle and a jug filled with coffee. Taking three mugs hung on the wall, Ayato poured out three cups of lukewarm coffee into them, before bending down to the pantry under the table. Scavenging the insides, he took out a packet each of custard creams and digestive biscuits. Bringing these items to the desk, he put them down, before plopping himself into the leather seat he was in earlier.

"And it was because of him, I found who I truly was."

"Your office looks messy." Rukia stated, sitting down at a seat and taking a cup of coffee on the table. Nodding as a sign of gratitude, she took a sip of the drink with a happy sigh.

"If it weren't for him, we would all be buried."

"I like it that way. Gives a bit of character, don't you think?" Ayato said, cracking open a packet of the custard creams. Zeon took the empty seat and a custard cream from the open packet; munching on it. "You don't like coffee?"

"Because me, and everyone else in the Rebellion owe our lives to him."

"No, it's just... there's something so nostalgic about how it is right now." Rukia said, putting the cup back down.

"Why do I still work with him?"

"Ah, I get what you mean." Ayato laughed, dunking the biscuit into the coffee and eating it. "We used to talk like this a lot, didn't we?"

""Ayato" was the Void, and he lied to me to get his ways."

"Back when we were all under the Void's control, yeah." Zeon said, washing down the food with a sip of coffee.

"But now, I know the truth."

"Anyways, how are you two? I see Shika didn't make it."

"At the time, I ate up the fact "Ayato" wanted to go against Backlion in a Rebellion."

"I'm good." Zeon said. "As for Shika... some complications happened and he was told not to leave the school for his own safety."

"He even lied to me at the start to get my attention."

"He said that if he would leave, he would have to head to the Mikazuchi Mansion straight away." Rukia explained. "I should've also stayed back in school too, but by the time I got the call from Inu, I was in Zeon's limo ready to come here."

"The Void made continuous lies to cover up the fact he wanted to destroy the universe."

"He said to just leave straight away if we were in the car." Zeon said. "So that's what we did."

"The Void had to open the portal so the anomaly Yza could activate Crystal Edge, which in turn would trigger the Zeroth Dragon to awaken."

"I see, I see... Sounds like a hectic afternoon." Ayato asked, resting his chin on the backs of his two hands.

"This was what the Void was truly after, and the reason why the so called "Void Incident" took place."

"It is if you control a Zeroth Dragon..." Rukia said with a nervous laugh. "Ah, well."

"Resurrection of Gyze."

"We should get back to what we were meant to talk about?" Ayato asked.

"We were meant to mess and toy with the enemy, while we prepared for our real plan."

"Yes, please." Rukia said. "I'm not sure how to break the ice..."

"Play with fate, and change it any chance we could."

"Let's just start off with stating the obvious. You guys are here to find out information for Yza." Ayato said, drinking some coffee. "Am I correct?"

"Meddle in the backstage, and pull the strings like a puppet master."

"Yeah, that's right." Rukia replied. "So... when you were on Cray, were you with Yza?"

"He told me in the first stages of the group, that me and my group were to meddle."

"Yep. We spent... who knows how long... in that planet, before I escaped out of there." Ayato said.

"Because of it, he asked me to become the leader of a new group: Rebellion."

"And he was alive the last time you saw him?" Rukia asked.

"He spared my life, and told me a secret I wasn't aware of."

"Of course." Ayato said. "Isn't me coming back the whole reason you guys are so obsessed with finding Yza?"

"And it started after the current Void, Ayato, had murdered Aya."

"Uh... well, yes." Rukia said sheepishly. "If you didn't come back, then we might have all had to accept the fact Yza's stranded on Cray..."

"Let me get this out of the way, first..." Ayato said, rubbing his eye. "I've been having visions for the past couple of months. They're some scary stuff, creeping up on you at any moment..."

"Do these visions have to do with Yza?" Rukia asked quickly. Ayato nodded.

"I see him. On Cray. Still struggling to find a portal. Recently, they've been getting stronger and stronger... I actually was just having one before you two came in."

"T-that's good right?" Rukia chirped, excitement racing through her veins. "If you can see him on Cray... then it means he could still there!"

"And so my scanner would be wrong..." Zeon muttered.

"Scanner?" Ayato asked.

"I built a scanner for Cray. Using the remnants of Backlion's information about Cray, and the advanced technologies Ryuzaki discovered, I created a scanner to see if Yza was on Cray. The results... turned up negative." Zeon said.

"Conflicting answers..." Ayato leaned back in his seat, closing his eyes. "As much as I dislike to admit it, Zeon's answer is more concrete."

"Yes... but I'll take whatever I can get if it means keeping hope he's alive." Rukia said. "Plus, Zeon said it was still in testing. The results aren't final."

"That's correct." Zeon added.

"I see..."

"So... how did you escape Cray...?" Rukia asked.

"Through a portal." Ayato said simply.

"Portal?" Zeon asked. "I thought they weren't possible..."

"Well... I don't know the exact science behind it, but the portals on Cray were different to the one Backlion tried to make. Rather than it being forced and man-made, they were a natural occurrence on the planet; albeit a rare one... for the longest time we were there, we didn't see a single one." Ayato said.

"Natural portals...?" Zeon raised a brow, putting a finger to his chin, thinking about it.

"So, when you ended back on Earth, where did you end up?" Rukia asked.

"The same place the portal I used to dive into Cray. The school roof." Ayato replied.

"Damn it..." Rukia looked down and gritted her teeth.

"Not the answer you wanted?" Ayato chuckled, eating a digestive biscuit. "Sorry."

"Well... I'm not sure..." Rukia said. "Um... could you tell us more about your time with Yza?" Rukia asked.

"Ah, sure." Ayato said, sipping some coffee. "So, when I came to my senses, me and Yza found ourselves in V22, this mystical place in Cray where "no one has escaped", as they happen to call it. The majority of our time spent on Cray was there, actually. I'm not sure how real the "no one has escaped" part is, but at the very least, it seemed impossible for us. It was like wherever we went, we would end up in the same place over and over... it was like walking in circles."

"But you guys escaped, right?" Rukia asked.

"Yeah, we did. I don't know, but by some miracle and a little bit of luck, we finally found an exit. We ended up somewhere in the Dragon Empire, which is where we spent the rest of our time there after we met some Dragon Knights and Dragoons. At the very least, we had people to talk to, a temporary home, and a better chance of escaping Cray. We asked around, but to our luck no one knew anything. Though, things got ugly..." Ayato laughed.

"What happened?" Rukia asked, shouting in suspense.

"Some... genocide happened... in the village we were staying in. While me and Yza were away, everyone else died..." Ayato said bitterly. "When we found out, the attacker... this... monster of a dragon... was seemingly waiting for us? But y'know what was the funny part?"

"What?" Zeon asked simply.

"Behind the dragon was a portal. Everything after this was such a blur... basically, upon seeing this revelation, the selfless idiot Yza created a plan which involved him distracting the dragon while I jumped through the portal. He said he'd join me after, but there was one issue... the portal was getting smaller over time." Ayato said, sighing under his breath. "Before I could even disagree on this stupid idea, Yza attacked the dragon. By the time he did, the portal was already half the size when we found it, meaning I had to just go with the plan."

"It... didn't work out that way, did it..." Rukia muttered.

"No... I went on a full on sprint, only catching Yza fighting the dragon in the corner of my eye. I couldn't look back, since the portal was dissipating before my eyes... While it was still barely open, I jumped into the portal, and ended up on the roof. But after that... I had no clue what happened to Yza..." Ayato said. "It's most likely he's still on Cray, but due to the circumstances I last saw him... I think he might be dead..."

"I don't want to believe it..." Rukia said, shaking her head. "I don't believe he'd falter to a stupid dragon so easily."

"Said dragon killed a whole village with what it seemed to be any struggle." Ayato said. "As much as I'd hate to be the Devil's advocate, if Zeon's scanner is correct, it'd match up with the scenario I last saw him in."

"I know... but I don't want to believe what it said is true...!" Rukia exclaimed. "Plus you had visions... that's something..."

"My visions are merely visions. I don't know if they truly reflect what happened to Yza." Ayato said. "But, if the scanner says he's not Cray, he could be on Earth."

"If he was, then someone, somewhere, would've caught a glimpse of him by now..." Zeon said. "Plus... the scanner I'm using is scanning for his life signature on Cray. Turning up a negative result could mean he's dead, which fits the new information you've given us."

"I... see." Ayato uttered with an impressed and tactful look glazed over his eyes.

"Why do you guys always think of the worst case scenarios for him..." Rukia said bitterly, pulling her legs to her chest. "Do you guys think he wouldn't pull through this time even though he's gone through worse...?"

"I mean, even if he had slay the dragon, he's now stranded by himself in somewhat unfamiliar territory. It sounds like one of the worst things that could happen to him..." Zeon said.

"That's not what I mean..." Rukia sighed. "He's gone through worse in the head..."

"Sorry..." Zeon said, looking away and clasping his hands together.

"Just..." Rukia gritted her teeth, and let out another long sigh. "Be quiet..."

Zeon nodded, closing his eyes and squeezing his right wrist. Rukia looked the other direction, burying her face into her knees.

"Now's not the time to loom over the past," Ayato said, snapping a digestive biscuit in half, and nibbling on it. "I believe in Yza. My time with him on Cray gives me faith he'd get through, but like Zeon said, if he lived, he's stranded by himself. I personally don't think he could survive easily alone."

"Damn you two... why do you have to make good points..." Rukia said with a defeated smile, covering her azure eyes. Gritting her teeth, she let out a small huff, followed by tears streaming down her pink cheeks. "I keep losing more hope everyday... even if I don't want too... I can't help it... each time I try and give a reason to why he's alive, the world gives me a hundred more as to why he's gone... disappeared... dead..."

"I'm sorry about this." Ayato said, standing up and walking over to Rukia, kneeling beside her. Plucking a tissue from the box on his desk, he presented it to her with a smile etched with sorrow and regret. "I know my words won't heal your wounds. I know my words are stabbing deeper. I know my words aren't the ones you wanted to hear. I know that I'm not the one you wanted out of Cray. But, there is Yza's words."

"Y-Yza's words...?" Rukia said, taking the tissue and wiping her tears.

"Yes, his words." Ayato nodded, putting a hand on her shoulder gently. Standing up, he walked to behind his office's desk and pulled out a secret compartment underneath the table. Laid inside the draw was a folded, grey hoodie covered in dried blood and crusty dirt entangled between the fibres. Taking it out like a sacred object, Ayato unravelled the item on the table, showing a scruffy note inside.

"T-that's... Yza's hoodie..." Rukia uttered, scrambling to the desk and hugging the hoodie tightly. Burying her face into it, she let out another cry, feeling more tears roll down her face, as Ayato smiled lightly, picking up the note. He coughed and took a deep breath.

"Part of the plan was that if I escape, I'd give these things to you. Do you want me to read you his note?" Ayato asked.

"Yes, please..." Rukia nodded, snuggling into the hoodie.

"Ahem, I quote... "Hey, Rukia! I hope you've been doing well, and keeping that sexy body of yours in shape. Please know I'm doing fine in Cray, and that I'm missing you a lot... We've been separated so many times, but even now, I feel such strong emotions for you: The girl that's pretty, smart, strong, funny and worth it. I love you! Even if planets separate us, my love for you is just like how it was when we were kids, and when I on Earth. I don't care for the past. I only care for the present, and the future where I can hold you in my arms. Please wait for me... I'll come back home, I promise! Even if it takes years... decades... centuries... I'll meet you once more... Much love, Yza."." Ayato recited, placing the note in front of Rukia once he was done.

"Why... why didn't you tell me about this sooner..." Rukia continued to cry her heart out, holding onto the hoodie with a tight grip.

"Today just happened to be good timing." Ayato smiled, falling into his seat with a huff.

"That idiot... I love you too, Yza... I love you too..." Rukia whimpered, hiding her warm tears in Yza's clothing.

"Even if it's not much... I hope that this small note will give you hope he's alive." Ayato said. "Today... the world is at least giving you one reason as to why he's alive. And I hope he is as well. Everyone does. We all share the pain you're carrying... Your problems are ours as well."

"Ayato... you're a terrible person for withholding all this... especially for so long..." Rukia sniffled, looking at Ayato. "But you're also one of the best people ever... I'll keep believing he's still out there... that he's alive."

(Ending here)

"Overlord."

Kneeling down around a grey stone pillar in a circle, the seven hooded figures, Inferno, Spectre, Kai, Aina, Sin, Magus and Hyakurai, collectively announced their allegiance to the figure at the top. The figure was distorted in shape; it was relatively human, yet had features that were considered inhuman, such as large protrusions from his back, and glowing, beady red eyes. Draped on the figure were layers of black; an oozing melting pot of sludgy substances that hung over the man like a cloak. The room itself was built on ancient, marbled stone, and had torches circling the inside, lit up by unnatural black flames that flickered gently, and emitted a mysterious blue light.

"Leader of the Rebellion."

The Overlord flicked his hand towards him; a signal for the seven to rise to their feet. The figures stood up, and looked up at him, while the pillar shook and shuddered down to ground level with a mechanical creak that sounded like two rusty chains lowering a heavy pot of metal. The lowering of the pillar let the Overlord converse face to face with his members, who were now less then a feet away from him. Turning to Sin, the Overlord nodded his head, which caused Sin to tear open his cloak, and let a green glowing card float out. The Overlord cupped his hands, and let the card fall into his hands gently.

"Of how I became the Scarecrow."

"Zeroth Dragon of Death Garden, Zoa." He announced, pushing the card inside his body; seemingly absorbing it without complication. Sin and Aina knelt down, leaving Spectre, Inferno, Magus, Hyakurai and Kai standing up. The Overlord looked at the five as his eyes began shimmering a crimson, "Bring me the Zeroth Dragon that remain."

"And this is my story."

"Understood." The standing figures said together. Opening beneath them were portals with black flames dancing around the edges. The five sank inside, and were transported to their destinations within seconds.

"My name is Ayaza Ganki-Vulcan."

Next time on Z World:

#35: Victory

"Just so you know... whatever you say about Yza, I'll take it with a grain of salt."

"You were Yza's girlfriend, weren't you?"

"I was going to disobey Backlion! I was going to disobey the Void!"

"Appear, bringer of light and hope, and destroyer of darkness and despair! Exceed through fate, my avatar! I ride, Blaster Blade Exceed!!"

"This is it... FINAL TURN."

================================

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro