#37: Illusions

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

The rain drizzled outside a small convenience shop that was on Shika's route home. Wanting to take shelter and get a bite to eat, he entered the quiet store; where a young, female cashier was behind the counter flicking through a magazine. The bell rang as Shika walked through the door, causing her to jerk up in her seat and greet him. Shika gave a large smile and waved back, before strolling over to the deli section of the store, and looking through the sandwiches and salads they had on offer. Grabbing a BBQ chicken sandwich off the shelf, he turned his attention to the middle of the store, and looked through the various snack items such as crisps, nuts, chocolate and sweets. He took a large bag of smoky bacon crisps, before going to the fridge straight across the isle to take an isotonic energy drink; orange flavoured. Juggling these three items in his arms, he walked to the cashier with a goofy smile, and put the items on the counter.

"I'll be buying these." Shika said, taking out his wallet from his school bag, and rifling through it to search for money.

"Yes sir. That'll be ¥1500." The cashier said, quickly putting his items into a plastic bag.

"Here you go." Shika handed her two bank notes, and in turn the cashier handed him the bag of food.

"Thank you for coming here, Akia Shika. Please come again soon." The cashier spoke, this time with a chilling aura and a mature, almost sophisticated, tone to her voice. The voice didn't match with the face, and Shika tilted his head curiously at the woman.

"Eh? Have I met you before?" Shika asked, nervously laughing. He sheepishly rubbed the back of his head, which made the girl shake her head side to side.

"No, we haven't. But your friends, Jomko Ryu, Aksan Riku, and Mato Trio in particular, have come in contact with me." She replied. "If they shared any length of information with you, then you should be able to fit the pieces together to figure out who I am."

"Too many big words, me don't understand." Shika said, his eyes becoming comical swirls. "I still have no clue!"

"So what I've heard about you is somewhat true. To put it in simple terms: you are an idiot." She sighed, grabbing her face with her right hand. "Now I must observe to confirm if this is true."

"Nah, you're right... I am pretty dumb." Shika said with a shrug.

"Whether you are hiding your true intelligence or not with these childish mind-games, that does not pertain to my main problem as of now. Right now, Akia Shika, I would be correct in saying you are the one who owns the Zeroth Dragon of the End of the World, Dust, yes?"

"Yes." Shika nodded.

"Perfect." The girl behind the counter stood up, her hand still covering her face. "I am Magus. And I'm going to fight you for the Zeroth Dragon." Slowly moving her hand across her face, the cashier's face peeled away in sparkles to reveal Magus' iconic half gold-half white mask underneath.

"Holy shit, that was awesome! Do that again!" Shika exclaimed, stunned by what Magus had just done.

"W-what...?" Magus asked, looking at Shika. "You can't be serious... I just took off a mask that was part of my illusion."

"But... it's so... sparkly!" Shika exclaimed.

"It's called special effects." Magus replied. "The art of tricking others is one a magician must know, like if it's the back of their hand."

"Oh... still cool though!" Shika smiled.

"Yes, I suppose you can say that." Magus said, taking her cloak from the back of her seat, and wore it over the uniform she was wearing while pretending to be the cashier. "So, Shika. Will you accept my fight?"

"I don't think I have another choice, do I?" Shika said, putting down his bags on the floor.

"No, you do not." Magus replied.

"Alright then, let's cardfight. Winner takes the Zeroth Dragon, loser gets nothing." Shika said with seriousness.

"Those were the conditions I had in mind. Now, let us begin the show." Magus giggled.

(Opening here)

"Stand up, Vanguard!"

"Happiness Collector!" Magus exclaimed, the vanguard circle expanding pale lilac.

"Mecha Trainer!" Shika exclaimed, the vanguard circle expanding dark green.

"Would you like to go first or second?" Magus asked.

"I'll go first!" Shika exclaimed. "Stand and draw! I ride, Acrobat Verdi, move Mecha Trainer back and end!"

Shika:
Hand: 5
Damage: 0
OXO
OXO

Magus:
Soul: 0
OXO
OOO

"Stand and draw. I ride, Purple Trapezist and move Happiness Collector behind vanguard. Purple Trapezist attacks. (6000)"

"No guard!"

"Drive check. (Flying Peryton)"

"Damage-"

"The attack doesn't hit. I end." Magus said.

"Oh, right..."

Shika:
OXO
OXO

Magus:
Hand: 6
OXO
OXO

"Stand and draw! I ride Laser Blackguard! I use Jelly Beans' skill in my hand! I put him to the bottom of my deck, and searching my deck for one grade 2 or less "Dudley" to my hand... I add Dudley Cheers, Linsey! Boosted by Mecha Trainer, Blackguard attacks! (9000 > 14000)"

"No guard."

"Drive check! (Highspeed, Brakki)"

"Damage check. (Darkside Mirror Master)"

"Turn end!"

Shika:
OXO
OXO

Magus:
Damage: 1
OXO
OXO

"Stand and draw. I ride, Dancing Princess of the Night Sky, and using her skill. I counterblast and search my deck for a card and put Flying Peryton into my soul. Now Princess attacks your vanguard. (8000)"

"No guard, one trigger!"

"Drive check. (Miss Direction) Turn end."

"This is gonna be annoying..." Shika muttered.

Shika:
OXO
OXO

Magus:
Hand: 7
Damage: 1
Soul: 2
OXO
OXO

"Stand and draw! Reborn with a glorious legacy behind you, explode the field and turn them to dust, ace of the team! Jukem, Exceptional Expertise, Rising Nova! I ride my avatar!!" The vanguard circle expanded dark green. "I call Liar Lips! Boosted by Mecha Trainer, Rising Nova attacks! (11000 > 16000) Liar Lips' skill, she goes into soul, I draw a card and my vanguard gets 5k! (16000 > 21000) Leading Spirit!"

"No guard."

"Twin Drive! (Giant, Rising Great Star, Mecha Instructor) Stand, power to vanguard! (21000 > 26000)"

"Damage check. (Moonlight Melody Tamer, Betty)"

"Turn end!" Shika exclaimed.

Shika:
Hand: 8
OXO
OXO

Magus:
Damage: 2
Soul: 2
OXO
OXO

"Stand and draw. A special show for one night only... let the star of our masquerade shine and dazzle everyone here today. I ride, Masked Phantom, Harri!" Magus exclaimed, the vanguard circle expanding dark lilac. "His on ride skill, checking the top two cards of deck, and putting Trapezist to soul. The other goes to bottom of deck. Generation Zone, unleash! The stage of fervent dreams, looming anxiety and shining talent— excite them like a meteor shower! Explode, Masquerade Master, Harri! Stride skill! I soulblast one and superior call from soul, Flying Peryton! Peryton's skill, soulcharge (Moonlight Melody Tamer, Betty) and call Trapezist! Happiness' skill, since Peryton was called from soul, I put her into soul, draw a card and soulcharge! (Darkside Mirror Master) Trapezist's skill, Peryton to soul, and call him back out! Peryton's skill, soulcharge (Miss Direction) and call Happiness! Miss Direction's skill, since a card was called from soul, I can call her out! Happiness' skill, to soul, draw a card and soulcharge! (Hopping Balloon) I call Trapezist from hand, and use her skill to put Peryton into soul, and call him back out! Peryton's skill, soulcharge (Miss Direction) and call Happiness! Now, boosted by Happiness, Peryton attacks! (9000 > 14000)"

"Brakki guards! (16000)"

"Boosted by Trapezist, Miss Direction! (8000 > 14000)"

"Frog Raider guards! (16000)"

"Boosted by Trapezist, Harri attacks! Burning Meteor Mash! (26000 > 32000) Skill, counterblast, G Persona Blast and putting Trapezist and Miss Direction into soul, and I call two Trapezist from soul! Happiness' skill, into soul, draw a card and soulcharge! (Silver Thorn Assistant, Dixie) Trapezist's skill, putting Peryton into soul and calling out Happiness! Skill of Miss Direction in soul, I call her back out! Happiness' skill, into soul, draw a card and soulcharge! (Flying Peryton) My other Trapezist's skill, I put Miss Direction into soul to call Peryton back out! Peryton's skill, soulcharge (Masked Phantom, Harri) and call Happiness from soul! Skill of Miss Direction in soul, I call her back out! Happiness' skill, to soul, draw a card and soulcharge! (Dancing Princess of the Night Sky) Harri's CONT, Peryton gets 3k! (9000 > 12000)"

"Generation Guard! Durable Barrier, Hecaton Gyace! Skill, I put Brakki, Froggy and Linsey from drop zone to the bottom of my deck, and he gets 10k Shield! (11000 > 26000 > 36000) One to pass!"

"Triple drive! (Moonlight Melody Tamer, Betty, Masked Magician, Harri, Skyhigh Walker) Stand, power to vanguard! (32000 > 37000)"

"Damage check! (Rain Elemental, Tear)"

"Boosted by Trapezist, Trapezist attacks! (6000 > 12000)"

"No guard! (Laser Blackguard)"

"Peryton attacks! (12000)"

"Guard with Instructor! (21000)"

"Turn end. Harri's Magia, both Trapezist back to soul. Miss Direction returns to soul due to her own skill."

Shika:
Hand: 4
OXO
OXO

Magus:
Hand: 14
Soul: 12
OXX
OOO

"Stand and draw! Liberating the Generation Zone! Bring on the heat, Heat Element, Merindol, Generation Stride!" The vanguard circle expanded dark green. "Stride skill, I give a new skill to Merindol! Then I'll use Merindol's skill! G Blast, and he gets a new skill! I use Mecha Trainer's skill, counterblast and retire him to add Dudley Cheers, Linsey from deck into my hand! Merindol attacks Peryton! (26000)"

"Peryton retires." Magus replied.

"Triple Drive! (Frog Raider, Exceptional Expertise, Rising Nova, Dudley Schemer) Draw, draw a card and power to vanguard! (26000 > 31000) I end my turn."

Shika:
Hand: 9
OXO
OOO

Magus:
Hand: 14
Soul: 12
OXO
OOO

"Stand and draw. Generation Zone, unleash! The spectacular masquerade of the circus act that never ends, excite them with a dragon's roar! Explode, Dragon Masquerade, Harri!" The vanguard circle expanded dark lilac. "Stride skill! I soulblast one and superior call from soul, Flying Peryton! Peryton's skill, soulcharge (Light Elemental, Honoly) and call Trapezist." Magus smirked upon seeing what she had put into soul. "Perfect. My secret weapon is in place..."

"Secret weapon...?" Shika looked warily at her, and put up a brave face. "Whatever this secret weapon is, it's not gonna scare me! Like you said, it's a magician's speciality to trick and deceive others! This is just a bluff!"

"You're right on that part. However... a magician doesn't always have to lie. Trapezist's skill, I put Peryton back into soul and call out Happiness! Skill of Miss Direction in soul, I call her out! Skill of Happiness, back into soul, draw a card and soulcharge! (Skyhigh Walker) I call from hand Skyhigh Walker and use his skill. Into soul, and countercharge! Boosted by Trapezist, Miss Direction! (8000 > 14000)"

"Dudley Schemer guards! (16000)"

"Harri attacks the vanguard! Phantasmic Screech! (26000) Skill, counterblast two and putting Trapezist into soul! I call out three cards from my soul! Peryton, Miss Direction and Trapezist! Skill of Trapezist, putting Miss Direction into soul and calling back out Honoly! Peryton's skill, soulcharge (Darkside Sword Master) and call Betty!"

"No guard!"

"Triple drive! (Prankster Girl of Mirrorland) Stand, all to Miss Direction! (8000 > 13000) (Masked Phantom, Harri, Silver Thorn Assistant, Dixie) Critical, critical to vanguard, power to Peryton! (9000 > 14000) (1★ > 2★)"

"Damage checks! (Giant, Rising Great Star, Jelly Beans)"

"Boosted by Honoly, Miss Direction! (13000 > 19000)"

"Guard with Mecha Trainer! (21000)"

"Let him have it, Peryton! (9000 > 16000)"

"No guard! (Liar Lips) Critical, all to vanguard! (11000 > 16000)"

"Turn end. Since Trapezist, Peryton and Betty were called with Magia, they return to soul. Miss Direction returns to soul as well thanks to her own skill."

Shika:
Damage: 5
OXO
OOO

Magus:
Hand: 18
Soul: 16
OXO
XOO

"Alright, it's finally my turn to go ham! That huge hand of yours will be reduced to nothing by the end of this!" Shika exclaimed.

"Oh, really now?" Magus said, fanning out her cards and putting it over her face. "Bring it on, Shika."

"Don't say I didn't warn you." Shika took a deep inhale, then exhaled strongly. "The cost of stride is the same unit as my vanguard! I put all of my futures on the line for this card! If I lose, all of my cards in the Generation Zone are never to return! Become my future and manifest! DARK ZONE'S ZEROTH DRAGON, ULTIMATE STRIDE OWO! ZEROTH DRAGON OF END OF THE WORLD, DUST!" The vanguard circle exploded with a black-purple colour. "Dust's skill! Counterblast two, and all your units lose their abilities and their grade and power are reduced to 1! So much for your secret weapon now, huh?!" Shika smirked.

"So, you figured out that Honoly was my tech of choice. (11000 > 1) (6000 > 1)" Magus said. "Maybe you aren't as dull as people say you are."

"Nah, I just figured there was something about Honoly that could stop what I'm doing." Shika said. "I mean, why would you go through that extra step to call her out with Trapezist rather than the Harri Stride? Then it hit me, you needed that card on the field during my turn!"

"Or, you could've read the card." Magus deadpanned.

"Reading midway in a fight isn't fun..." Shika pouted.

"However, you would be correct in saying I needed Honoly on the field. Her effect makes you pay a counterblast when your units attack my vanguard, starting from the 5th attack."

"I dodged a close bullet with that one..." Shika laughed. "Then, Dust deals you a damage!"

"Damage check. (Purple Trapezist)"

"Stride skill! Dust gets a new skill! Then, I'll call a Laser Blackguard and MVP Froggy to rear-guard! Boosted by Frog Raider, Blackguard attacks! (9000 > 16000)"

"No guard. (Moonlight Melody Tamer, Betty)"

"Now, Dust attacks you! (36000) Zeroth Assault at Midnight Dusk! Skill given by Rising Nova, I counterblast and put a card from hand into soul! I call, Mecha Instructor from deck as charge! He gets 5k! (4000 > 9000)"

"Darkside Mirror Master, perfect guard! Skill, countercharge!"

"Triple Drive! (Jelly Beans, Laser Blackguard, Dudley Monty) Mecha Instructor attacks! (9000)"

"Prankster Girl of Mirrorland, guard! (1> 10001)"

"Instructor goes to the bottom of the deck due to charge! Skill of Instructor, when he's put to the bottom of the deck, I put a card from hand into soul, and bind Blackguard face up, and recall him! Charge! Since Blackguard's charging, he gets 5k! (9000 > 14000) Skill of Froggy, he stands back up! Boosted by Froggy, Blackguard attacks! (14000 > 21000)"

"No guard. (Flying Peryton)"

"Blackguard goes to the bottom of the deck due to charge! Skill of Blackguard, when he's put into deck, I counterblast and put a card from hand to soul, and call Giant, Rising Great Star from deck to rear-guard!" Shika exclaimed, looking through his deck. His face of sheer confidence slowly crumbled, before breaking into a frown. Gritting his teeth and swallowing a lump in his throat, he closed the deck and reopened it, cycling through the cards again. And again. And again.

"What's the matter?" Magus asked, peering at his deck.

"I can't find a copy of Rising Great Star in my deck..." Shika grumbled, feeling sweat run down his brow.

"There's a copy of Great Star in your drop zone, damage zone and your soul." Magus said quickly.

"...what?" Shika uttered, putting his deck down to check the three zones Magus mentioned. Much to his dismay, Shika tightened his fists and put a hand to his face, realising what had happened. "I don't have anymore in deck..."

"You may change call targets." Magus replied.

"But... I need Great Star for my Instructor Loop! I can't perform it without him!" Shika exclaimed, grabbing his deck and looking through it once more. "Damn it..."

"Don't get so frustrated over the loss of a loop. Live and learn." Magus said. "Although, even if you had Great Star, you would've run out of counterblast to perform this "loop", as you actually have no face up damage left."

"Dang... you're right..." Shika groaned. "I wasn't paying attention and used up the rest of my counterblast..."

"Also, as far as I'm aware, you have no more ways to tutor cards from deck outside of Blackguard and Great Star. So even if you wanted to call Tear mid-battle phase, you would have no means to get more attacks in."

"How... how do you know so much about my deck...? This is the first time we've met, haven't we?!"

"I've done my research about you beforehand, and I know you are a more combo-centric player these days." Magus said. "Outside of that, I have been keeping a close eye on your cards in deck, and it is far different from the usual Spike Brothers deck due to the heavy usage of Cray Elemental and strange choice of cards such as Highspeed, Brakki. This made me suspicious, and it seems my observations were correct. You were trying to use Dust as a finisher, weren't you!?"

"Yeah, that'd be right." Shika grinned. "It's a pretty powerful Zeroth Dragon, so I decided to build my deck around it!"

"And with simple common sense, I assume you would call Tear during the main phase to burst countercharge that face down damage?" Magus asked.

"Yeah... but I didn't have Tear in hand, so I just rolled with my current set up." Shika said. "Heh... you really outsmarted me."

"I too am a combo-centric player. These things comes together for me naturally. All things considered, I am surprised someone like you came up with such an interesting build that would've probably won you this game if weren't for your silly mistakes. You may be perceived as an idiot by others, but to me, I feel like you may be far from it." Magus complimented.

"Thanks!" Shika smirked. "Y'know, I'm still gonna give it my all, even if I can't do what I originally planned! Moping around just isn't like me...! I call Mecha Instructor to rear-guard and charge! Instructor attacks! (4000)"

"My pleasure." Magus replied. "Masquerade Bunny! (1 > 5001)"

"Instructor to the bottom of the deck due to charge! His skill, a card from hand into soul, binding Froggy face up, and recalling him! Froggy attacks! (7000) Dropkick finish!"

"Hopping Balloon! (1 > 10001)"

"Well... that's all I got. Turn end." Shika said bitterly, moving his G Zone to the side. "My future's finished... But I'm not giving up, ya got that?!"

"Affirmative."

Shika:
Hand: 4
XXO
OOO

Magus:
Hand: 13
Soul: 16
OXO
XOO

"Stand and draw. I ride, Masked Magician, Harri!" The vanguard circle expanded dark lilac. "Generation Zone, unleash! Send them to another world filled with enchanting tricks and magic, and excite them with this megatrick! Explode, Parallel Megatrick, Fairfield! Stride skill! Counterblast, soulcharge (Purple Trapezist) and call out Trapezist from soul to rear-guard, with 5000 power! (6000 > 11000) Skill of Trapezist, I put Honoly into soul and call Skyhigh Walker from soul! Walker's skill, I put him into soul and countercharge! I'll call another Skyhigh Walker and use his skill again! Now, Fairfield's Magia skill! I counterblast two, and return a card from soul and drop zone to my deck! I call from my soul, Masked Phantom, Harri! He gets 10k and a crit, and a new skill! (11000 > 21000/1★ > 2★) I shuffle my deck. I call three Silver Thorn Assistant, Dixie from my hand, and use their skills to put them on top of my deck, and shuffle!" Magus exclaimed.

"You... you just added five triggers to your tiny deck!" Shika exclaimed. "That's like... that's like..."

"A five out of six chance to get a pull a trigger on my drive check." Magus said. "I'll now use the skill Fairfield gave to Harri! I soulblast two, and give him 5k! (21000 > 26000/2★) And he can't be chosen by card effects now. The best part of this skill is that it's not once per turn! All this soul I've accumulated until now... will be put into this single strike! I have fifteen cards in soul! I soulblast fourteen, and add 35000 to Harri! (26000 > 61000/2★) Boosted by Trapezist, Harri attacks! (61000 > 72000/2★) Phantasmic Spear!"

"This fight ain't over until I say it's friggin' over! I perfect guard with Cold-blooded Advisor, Cunning Brain!!"

"Fairfield attacks next! (26000) Field of Impermanence!!"

"Once more, Cold-blooded Advisor, Cunning Brain perfect guard!!" Shika roared. "Unless you have a stand trigger in deck, I'm safe!"

"I suppose you didn't pay attention again." Magus said, flipping the top card of her deck. "Triple drive! (Prankster Girl of Mirrorland) Stand, all to Harri! (61000 > 66000/2★)"

"W-what?!" Shika exclaimed.

"I returned a Prankster Girl of Mirrorland and Skyhigh Walker to deck with Fairfield, increasing my chance to stand Harri this turn. After all, deck thinning is deck winning." Magus said.

"This is big brain as fuck..." Shika grit his teeth, and smiled widely. "Alright, bring it on! I'm not giving up just cuz I don't have a hand!"

"Your fighting spirit is admirable. (Silver Thorn Assistant, Dixie) Critical, all to Harri! (66000 > 71000/2★ > 3★) (Silver Thorn Assistant, Dixie) Critical, all to Harri! (71000 > 76000/3★ > 4★) Now, before the curtain closes on you... any last words?"

"Last words my asshole!" Shika exclaimed.

"In that case, let us finish it. Harri attacks! (76000/4★) Enchanted Phantasmic Spear!!"

"NO GUARD!! (Exceptional Expertise, Rising Nova)"

"And now Dust belongs to me." Magus said coldly, collecting up her cards quickly.

"Good game!" Shika exclaimed, holding out a hand. Magus glanced at it, and ignored Shika's sportsmanship. She reached out to his G Zone, and took the Zeroth Dragon that was sitting on top, grabbing it.

"Good game. You played well, for what it's worth. It's time for the curtains to close on this show now." Magus said, turning around and placing the card she won into her pocket.

"I swear the next time I see you Magus, I'm gonna win and take Dust back! That's a promise!" Shika exclaimed, turning his hand into a fist. However, Magus had already left through a portal with black flames flickering on the edges. Blinking, Shika rubbed his right eye and groaned, before readjusting himself.

"Um, sir?"

Shika's eyes widened as he was back in front of the counter, staring at the cashier, who looked like the one Magus was pretending to be. She was behind the counter, holding out his bag of after school snacks. In Shika's right hand was his wallet, and in his left, the bills he pulled out to go pay with from earlier.

"This is trippy..." Shika muttered. "Uh, do you know of anyone named Magus?" He asked, handing the money to the girl.

"Um, I don't think so. Sorry sir." She apologised, handing him the bag.

"It's okay." Shika said, taking the bag off her hands. "Thank you!" He exclaimed, before walking out of the shop.

"Thank you for your continued support sir!" The cashier said.

Shika left the shop, looking up at the sky which was now clear as day. Any signs of rain or bad weather had been dispelled, with the grey clouds becoming it's usual white. Rubbing the back of his head, Shika groaned, looking down at the puddle he had just stepped into.

"This is one of the most confusing things to happen to me..." Shika said to himself, walking over to the table outside of the convenience store. It was wet due to the earlier weather, but was generally clean. Placing his bag of food on top, he took out his FICA from his bag and checked his deck inside. Cycling through his now fifteen card G Zone, Shika's face of boredom became shock. "Shit..."

(Ending here)

Next time on Z World:

#38: Thunder

================================

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro