#73: Our Future

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

I miss Yozora.

Sometimes, it feels like I was the only person in the world who cared for him.

While I'm standing in the middle of this party, watching everyone laugh and smile with him...

I think to myself... maybe it is better that Yozora doesn't exist anymore.

After all, so many more people care about him.

They've been searching for him for years.

I'm only here because I transferred to Seigatsu Academy and became friends with them.

I don't know a thing about their pasts.

I don't know what happened between them.

I don't know why he's so important.

He saved the world... so what? Yozora did too! Are they going to ignore when he put his life on the line against a God of Destruction?!

Or are they going to ignore that Yozora has millions of fans, patiently waiting for him to come back to the stage and sing his songs?!

That's right... in this enclosed room, where no one else can enter, all the people here care about him deeply.

But across the world, there are people everywhere who have been touched by Yozora's voice.

More people have to care about Yozora than him...! Surely, that has to be true!

I'm not alone...

I want Yozora back!

Everyone who saw him sing as NAITO wants him back!

You can't take him away from me!

I don't want you to take him away from me!

I won't let you take him away from me...!

Even though he's a metre within talking distance, my quivering feet won't move.

All I can do is stare emptily into this red cup.

The reflection in the juice haunts me.

I've always been like this...

Hollow and empty.

It was Yozora who filled that gaping hole in my heart.

I learnt to properly live because of him.

Even though he was shy, he had a beautiful way with words...

Those words touched me in a way no one else had.

He saved me from being a robotic existence who didn't care about the world.

He saved me from becoming someone who wanted to destroy the world.

But now that he's gone... I want to destroy this unfair world for him.

Those same feelings resurfaced cruelly.

Yozora suffered and writhed just as much as he did. However, he kept everything to himself and never complained once.

All of his countless mental breakdowns at the hands of his memories are deep scars no one else could see but me.

Even then, he continued to act strong and resilient against it all. He may appear weak, but he's the strongest person I know.

Yozora was awkward, but that was cute too. Yozora was shy, but that was endearing too.

Yozora was my life.

Nothing else mattered as long as I could hold him close to me.

He gave me strength when no one else would.

He gave me a reason to feel love when no one else would.

He gave me a world I belonged to when no one else would.

Is it selfish to want him back?

Of course it is...

But it's also selfish that Rukia gets to have him all to herself!

He's my boyfriend too...

Somewhere in his mind, my boyfriend is there, suffering alone and drowning in tears...

I want to be there for him.

I need to be there for him.

Yozora was forced into this position by Ayaza.

It's not his fault. None of it is his fault.

If I can reach out my hand... if my voice can reach him...

Yozora!

I took a step forward towards the man I couldn't stand to look at directly.

He gave me a pleasant smile when I called his name.

"What's the matter... uh, Chiharu, right?"

Yza Blade.

"Give me my boyfriend back."

He pointed outside.

"Let's talk there."

I followed him to the balcony.

(Opening here)

The cold winter air blew through the evening. Yza leaned against the balcony, looking at Chiharu who was standing in the corner, casting her gaze to the floor.

"I figured something like this would happen eventually." Yza laughed.

"Yeah..."

"So, what are you doing here at the party?"

"Is there a problem with me being here?"

"No, no! I'm just curious, since... well."

Yza tried to create small talk to ease the tense atmosphere. Edging towards the main topic recklessly, he danced around it at the last second.

"I'm not here for your sake. Don't get the wrong idea. I'm here to celebrate Zeon's discharge from the hospital. This was supposed to be his party after all."

Chiharu, channeling her bitter emotions that had nowhere else to go, passively attacked Yza.

"I do ruin a lot of things, don't I...?" Yza laughed self-deprecatingly, before shaking his head. "Nah, that's a bad way to put it. Were you and Zeon particularly close?"

"Not really. We were just friends after all. Though... I was just as shocked as everyone else when we received the news that Kakusei brutalised Zeon."

Yza, who was absent during this crucial period of Zeon's life, couldn't relate to her feelings.

"He's in jail now, right?"

"Yeah... there's no way he'd escape punishment when all the evidence pointed against him."

"I'm glad. At least one thing went right."

"Even so... everyone's raving about you returning instead of his recovery. Don't you think that's... unfair?"

"Sure it is. They didn't have to hold one for me. If I had the choice, I would've kept it exclusive to Zeon."

Chiharu was surprised by this answer.

"You...?"

"Hm? Well, I'm no one special really. Me returning isn't as impressive as Zeon making a full recovery after trying to protect Rukia."

"Aren't you... jealous of that?"

"Jealous of what? Him protecting her?"

"Well, yeah! She's your girlfriend after all!"

"So what? She's my girlfriend, but she's also Zeon's best friend. The fact he went out of his way to protect her while I was gone is noble. While I ran away from the world, he stepped forward with no hesitation. That's why this party should be for him, and not me."

Chiharu was flabbergasted by Yza's responses.

"You... I thought you were some kind of sick pervert... not a selfless person."

"Oh, yeah, I totally am. While we were talking, I was checking out your butt! It's super round~ ♥︎" Yza then made a squeezing motion. "Can I—"

Chiharu slugged him in the face.

"NO!"

Yza, twitching on the floor, gave a thumbs up.

"Y-yes madam..."

"Honestly... and here I nearly thought you were a half-decent person."

"Oh, don't worry, your breasts are just as top tier. I can tell you're gonna be a MILF when you grow up—"

Chiharu ran through Yza with a right hook.

"SHUT UP ABOUT MY BODY ALREADY!!!"

"Ow, ow, ow! O-okay, I'll stop, holy crap!"

Yza, fear in his eyes, backed away from Chiharu, who's eyes were glowing a dangerous red.

"I swear, if you mention one more thing..."

"A-ahahahaha, don't worry!"

Yza waved his hands frantically while Chiharu bluntly stared at him. The chilly air cooled down the intense situation.

"Seriously, how does Rukia deal with you...?"

"I can control myself! Sometimes..."

"You sound like a sex offender in the making..."

"Then it's a good thing I have her then. Because I can release all my pent up energy on Rukia!"

"I fear for her safety."

"Yeah, me too..."

Yza and Chiharu started laughing at the absurdity of their conversation.

Chiharu suddenly stopped, her eyes glossing over. Yza's laughter slowly trailed off as he noticed her shift in attitude.

"You look sad. Is everything okay?"

"Oh... I'm sorry..."

"It's okay, you don't have to apologise over this."

"Right... sorry, it's a bad habit of mine..." Chiharu slumped her shoulders. "I just realised... this is the first time I've properly laughed since Yozocchi disappeared..."

His hand patted Chiharu's head.

"You should laugh more then. It's cute."

"I don't want to hear those words from you... I want to hear them from Yozocchi..."

Tears brimmed in the corners of Chiharu's eyes, trickling down her cheeks.

"I want... I want to see... I want Yozora back! Give him back to me!!!"

Chiharu grabbed him and pushed him against the balcony's edge, nearly toppling both of them over.

"I made a promise to him! That I'd never stop loving him even if he disappears! But I made a new promise in my heart!"

Chiharu rattled his hoodie, blood red permeating her crying eyes.

"I promised that I'd never let him disappear! And I won't let you, or Ayaza, or Rukia, or anyone else take him away from me!!"

Chiharu screamed into Tokyo's night sky.

"I DON'T CARE IF IT'S SELFISH! I DON'T CARE IF I HURT SOMEONE ELSE! I WANT YOZORA BACK! NOT YOU!"

His hand patted her head.

"I'm happy you remembered our promise."

Chiharu's eyes shivering with overflowing tears widened.

The wind blew his bangs to one side, covering one eye.

"Don't cry anymore... if I see you cry, then I'll also start crying..."

His fingers traced along Chiharu's cheek, cleaning the clear shooting star that ran across it.

Chiharu collapsed to her knees, dragging him down with her.

She embraced him tightly, not letting go.

Burying her face into his chest, she sobbed.

He started to sing a glass melody.

The same song that she heard when they first met.

NAITO's audition song.

"Yozora... Yozocchi... YOZOCCHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!"

Chiharu cried his name while Yozora caressed her head.

"I won't disappear. Not now, not ever. As long as you're walking on this Earth, how could I?"

"Yozocchi... I've missed you... so much..."

"Chiharu... I'll always be there. In you."

Under the starlight, they shared a kiss.

A magical night that would quietly dissipate.

Yozora was fast asleep on her lap.

Chiharu kissed his forehead.

"Sweet dreams... Yozocchi. Until we meet again..."

Less than three weeks remained until the dreaded finals. During the long weekend, a group of failures went to Seigatsu Academy to prepare for the exams.

"Yo, did I ever tell you guys how much I hate studying?" Shika asked.

"You say it every five minutes, you big oaf... ah, if only I was smart as Zeon! He gets to slack off while I'm over here trying to figure out how graphs work!" Backlion whined.

"Just get an apprenticeship on Cray. Swinging a sword is easier than doing maths." Akari said.

"I wish apprenticeships existed on Cray... wait, maybe I should introduce it to Bigbelly and see if he'll implement it..."

"Didn't Zeon take down the portal?" Akari asked.

"He did? Oh that sonuvabitch, if he did...!" Backlion raised his wooden pen with a growl. "I hope he likes haemorrhoids!"

"Imagine graduating from Cray. Couldn't be me." Rina deadpanned.

"Shut yo ass, you have the worst grade out of all of us! Wyvon's killing it in engineering while your Japanese grade is nearly as bad as Yza's! And he hasn't been in school for nearly a year!" Backlion exclaimed.

Rina whimpered, looking away with a dark red face.

"Backlion, cool it. You're also in this group because your grades are miserable. There's no need to rub it in her face." Rukia slapped her pointing stick in her hand. "In fact, let me remind you that even Shika, who is dyslexic, got higher than you on the English paper. You can speak Crayanese but not English? That's pathetic!"

"O-okay Rukia-sensei, I'm sorry...." Backlion sobbed in his calculus textbook. "F-forgive meeeeee..."

"I don't like the implication I'm a failure either miss..." Shika mumbled dejectedly.

"T-thank you, Rukia... although, Backlion does have a point. I've been completely negligent on my studies... my grades are the worst in our year. I'm scared I won't be able to pass now."

"Don't worry so much Rina. The only papers you failed on were... um..." Rukia tried to recall what Rina failed in.

"I failed both Japanese papers, mathematics 1 and 2, both physics papers, history 1, and both geography papers..." Rina slumped.

"Isn't that... like six papers?!" Shika exclaimed. "I only failed Japanese 2! Holy crap, am I not a failure?!"

"It's nine papers actually, how the hell did you pass maths?" Backlion asked.

"Trigonometry saved my grade!" Shika struck a guts pose.

"Stop bullying her!" Rukia smacked both Shika and Backlion with her pointing stick.

"I didn't do anything wrong!!!" Backlion whined.

"Was that meant to hurt?" Shika asked.

"You two... pipe it down. We're gonna get kicked out of the library." Akari sighed.

Rina buried her hands in her face.

"I'm... gonna get a drink, I'll be right back..."

She left quietly. Rukia sighed, sitting down and looking at the three remaining.

"I'm not responsible—"

"Backlion, shut up!" Rukia exclaimed.

"Y-yes ma'am..." He quietly went back to drawing graphs.

"Seriously... talk about a group of failures." Rukia sighed. A switch had been turned on. "Rina, ranked 200th, worst grades in our entire year... instead of spending time seriously revising, she was spending her time cooking. Then there's Shika, ranked 196th, a genius at sports but a failure at all humanities... the fact that you barely pass each paper is extremely worrying. Don't worry, I didn't forget about you Backlion, ranked 189th, who forgot how to do long division because he was stuck on Cray! And Akari, ranked 174th, the best of the academic losers. Honestly, I have no complaints about you. You're quiet and well behaved, just improve those grades for me will you?"

"Hey, why do you dunk on me and Shika but not Akari?!"

"Unlike her, you guys pipe up when things get too difficult. Stop your whining and do the work! If you need help, ask for it!"

"Fine, fine. I'm surprised Ayaza isn't here though." Backlion said.

"When you're a dragon king, you retain information easier than human beings." Rukia rolled her eyes.

"Man, imagine if Yza was here. He'd be going goo-goo ga-ga over Rukia." Shika snickered.

"Instead of concentrating, he'd be staring at her chest." Backlion laughed.

"Why isn't he here? I thought Yza attended Seigatsu like us." Akari said.

"Oh, didn't you hear?" Rukia asked.

"About what?"

"Yza dropped out of school."

"Ha?"

A few days prior to their study session and a few days after Yza returned.

"You're not coming back to school?!" Rukia exclaimed.

"Nah. At this late in the academic year, what is the point of me coming back? I missed out on the first half of 2nd Year due to the Void Incident, and I missed the entirety of the latter half of the 2nd Year and the entirety of the 3rd Year because Yozora took my place. I can't go into exams with only 1st Year knowledge, that's a guaranteed fail."

"But... but at least let Yozora graduate for you then! He has the knowledge, doesn't he?!"

"He does, but I was talking about it with my personalities. We all mutually agreed it was for the best I didn't come back to school. After all, I haven't been in a normal classroom for a year or so no. Trying to fit back in only for a month seems like a waste."

"I mean... I guess when you put it that way..."

"Besides, most people thought I either transferred or left Tokyo, so me coming back suddenly for the final month would be a messy shake-up no one wants to deal with. Not graduating from high school isn't the worst thing in the world. Don't have such an anxious face, Rukia."

"I can't help but be worried. If you don't graduate, you won't be able to go to university and such..."

"I don't need to go to university for what I want to do."

Yza smiled as he took out a pen and notepad.

"You mean...?"

"I'm going to become an author."

"And that's what happened."

"Oh, he's totally going to write an eroge." Akari said.

"He'll draw all the illustrations too, knowing that guy..." Shika laughed.

"I support him." Rukia stated. "Because I know that, with his perverted and lecherous mind, he'll write and draw the best erotica anyone's ever seen."

"Damn right I will!"

"E-eh? Yza?!"

Approaching the table was Yza, waving at them with a grin.

"And here I thought you dressed up as a sexy teacher to encourage them." Yza was practically drooling when he saw Rukia.

"Huh? Don't be ridiculous, if I'm going to play the part, I need to fully immerse myself in it. Get your mind out of the gutter." Rukia smacked Yza's arm with her pointing stick.

"Sensei, sensei, that hurt! Adults shouldn't be hitting children! If you don't give me a titfuck, I'll report this to the administration!" Yza said in a kiddie voice.

Backlion and Akari bursted into laughter. Shika got ready to call for the fire department. Rukia's face went dark red as she whipped Yza across the face.

"Ah... I deserved that." Yza stood, a red line gashed across his face. "Sorry Rukia."

"In public too... you really do have no shame."

"It's hotter when everyone can see."

"Perverted voyeur!"

"You know, if the nurse thing doesn't work out, you should become a teacher. You look good in a suit!" Yza gave a thumbs up.

Rukia's red face slowly turned pink.

"I won't let you off the hook just because you gave me a compliment..."

"I know, I know, I'll cook dinner tonight, you just take it easy and help save these guy's grades. Ah, wait, where's Rina? Did she not come today? I needed to talk to her."

"Someone bullied her into leaving the session early." Rukia gave Backlion the stink-eye.

"She didn't leave, she went to get a drink!" Backlion exclaimed.

"It's been five minutes and the vending machine's just around the corner. It shouldn't take that long... it's obvious she's left."

"But her bags are still here. No way she'd leave without taking it, right?"

"I'll go check then. Sit tight!" Yza left.

"You know, speaking of missing people, have you guys seen Shouri? He ranked 199th so I gave him an invitation..." Rukia said.

"He came with us, but a white haired girl pulled him away." Akari said.

"Do you think that's his girlfriend or something?" Shika asked.

"I dunno, I don't care. She was hoooot though." Backlion grinned.

"Your girlfriend is sitting right in front of you, you know..." Akari glared.

"She's hot, but you're smoking. Sizzle."

"Your cheesy pick-up lines are the worst."

"I get that a lot, but it always charms 'em." Backlion shot finger guns at her.

Rina was crouched next to the vending machine, sobbing into her arms. Yza sat down next to her, and gently pressed a can of pink lemonade against her hand.

"C-cold..."

"I heard from Wyvon that pink lemonade is your favourite drink."

"Yza...? Thank you..." Rina gratefully accepted his gift. She opened it and started to drink.

"This floor is uncomfortable... you shouldn't be crouching around such a dingy place. C'mon, let's go sit on a bench."

Yza pulled Rina up and guided her to proper seating.

"What are you doing here at school? I thought you dropped out..."

"I'm here to ogle at Rukia's tits. What about you?"

"Study session..."

"Is Rukia really that tough? I know she whacked me across the face, but to make you cry..."

"It's not Rukia's fault! She's helped me a lot... I just... I'm so useless..."

"Useless? You're kidding me, right? You, the greatest chef in our year, is useless? Rina, I've been dying to eat your sweet chilli pork rice for ages now!"

"I'd be glad to make you some."

"For real?! Score, today's a great— wait, wait, this is about you, not my cravings."

"Being distracted from reality isn't that bad..." Rina gently wiped her tears away. "I mean... what use is a stupidly high home economics grade if all your other grades are complete trash? I need to pass at least the core subjects to graduate, but I failed six of them..."

"That's rough... I'm sorry about that."

"That's not even the worst part... I'm also ranked the lowest among everyone in the whole year! And unlike the rest of them, I don't even have a valid reason why... Akari and Backlion were trapped in Cray, Shouri was working for Ayaza, and Shika's dyslexic... I just wasted my time trying to become a better cook. How stupid am I...?"

"Hey, don't say that. You spent that time because you want to open a restaurant one day, right? What use is Japanese or maths gonna be when you're cooking up a feast for everyone there?"

"But I need to graduate so I can get on the chef's programme I want to work in! I want to travel around the world and discover new cuisines and techniques... but I can't do that by myself! I don't have the money! And with only three weeks left, that chance seems to be slipping even further away..."

"Rina. You weren't just "wasting time" on improving your craft. You were also struggling with your gender too, right?"

Rina's eyes widened.

"H-huh? How did you...?"

"I had a hunch that something else was happening. I don't think cooking all the time would stop you from studying. Something else was happening. Since you came out as a girl during the party, I put two and two together."

"You act like an idiot, but deep down you're really smart, aren't you...?"

"What? Hell no, I'm definitely an idiot! I'm starting to regret dropping out of school now... but I've made my decision and sent in the paperwork. I can't go looking back!"

"I think you still can... if you really tried."

"Don't give that advice to me. I don't need it. Give it to yourself. Those are the encouraging words you need to hear. Not from anybody else, but yourself."

"I can do it... if I really tried?"

"Hell yeah you can! Nothing's impossible, you just need to make your goal realistic. If you need to pass the core subjects for the programme, then study the core subjects. What use is history gonna be when you're in India making some sick ass curry?"

Rina scratched her cheek.

"You're right... I should believe in myself more. But it's really difficult... I don't have any confidence in myself..."

"We all start like that. I was shitting bricks when I played Vanguard for the first time. I had no confidence back then either... but now, look at me! I can say whatever I want without regret! Most of the time..."

Yza pointed at the red mark he received across his face from Rukia. Rina giggled slightly.

"Oh, right! I just remembered, Maxios and Rachel's wedding is next weekend. Wyvon wants you to attend, but he's doing some metalworks right now, so he asked me to drop the message off to you."

"Eh? Wyvon wants me to attend his sister's wedding?"

"Yeah, you are his bestie after all. I'll probably invite Rukia and Shika, but no dice if they'll come. At least come for the cake."

"A-actually, Rachel commissioned me to make the cake..."

"Oh, so you'll be there regardless?!"

"No, I was going to get someone to drop it off, but... if it's okay, I might come and stay..."

"You should! You should! And while you're at it, help me sabotage the damn thing... I can't imagine a future where me and Wyvon are related! That's too freaky! Ahhhhhhhhh!"

"Sorry Yza, but you're on your own. I think your brother and his sister make a wonderful couple."

"Rina, how could you betray me like this?! You were supposed to be one of us! Don't you remember last time?!"

"Yep, that was a really funny prank they pulled on us, wasn't it?"

"That "prank" nearly gave me a heart attack..."

"I mean, Wyvon being your relative isn't that bad."

"Yeah, it probably isn't in the long run. He'll probably start up some space company and get filthy rich, so if anything, I should see this as a blessing in disguise. But the shitty fifteen year old inside me hates this idea and wants to ruin it..."

"Well, maybe you should act like an eighteen year old instead."

"Oh yeah... I'm eighteen now, aren't I?" Yza has a look of realisation on his face. "For some reason... I still feel like I'm sixteen."

"I'm going to head back now. Thanks for the talk..."

"Oh, no prob. Tell Rukia I'm gonna pop to the hospital and come back, I just remembered something that needed taking care of."

"Alright. Have a safe trip."

"I still can't believe it..." Shouri muttered, looking down from the rooftop. "Even though it's been weeks since then, it still feels so surreal."

Even though he could now live a normal life, Shouri thought he had already died and went to hell. Someone would argue that he was in heaven for escaping death twice, but he refused to believe it.

"Ah, I got a spot in Heaven?" Shouri chuckled darkly. "That's some bullshit."

If he was in heaven, then he wouldn't be feeling so miserable and aimless in the world. He believed there was no point in living if he had no ambitions or goals. That's why he was already dead.

The first truly meaningful thing he did was beat up Kakusei in revenge, which he accepted as his first step towards "living in reality" properly.

He was cut off from his musings when he felt something cold press against his cheek.

"Oi!" Shouri flinched, narrowing his eyes. He relaxed, recognising who teased him.

Standing in front of him was a young woman, her white hair that reached lower back fluttering beautifully along the wind as she smiled at him. Her blue eyes practically sparkled with kindness as she offered one of the two canned drinks in her hands.

"Thirsty?" She innocently asked.

Shouri frowned. What did he do to get attention from her of all people? While a bit hesitant at first, he accepted her offer, and opened it to take a sip.

"Well, took you long enough. Dragging me away from my friends and up to the rooftop... what business does someone like you have with me, Harusui Shinou?" Shouri questioned her aggressively. "I'm quite sure that I'm not a very desirable guy in the eyes of women, so this can't be a confession."

"True. Your personality is completely rotten, inside and out." Harusui hummed, smiling at him with closed eyes. "But I didn't come here because I desired a relationship, nor because I'm attracted to you Sakini. What I'm here for is to ask you about my brother."

"Brother?" Shouri raised a brow in curiosity as he took another sip of his drink. He knew that there's no one else with her family name in this school and he knew no one by the name of Shinou outside of school. "I didn't even know you had one."

"It was made a guarded secret at his request, but despite not being related by blood or possessing the same family name, it doesn't change the fact that we're siblings." She shrugged, before her eyes stared into his own, the kindness that once sparkled in them being replaced by a coldness that clashed against their serene surroundings. "After all, you knew him quite well. Tell me, does the name Kotaro Nogami ring any bells?"

Shouri crushed his can, the juice spilling over his hand.

"What do you want then, Harusui?" He demanded with a growl as Harusui raised her arms in defence. "Is that bastard so cowardly that he'd even send his little sister after for me?"

"Watch your tongue Sakini, I came here on my own volition." Harusui frowned. "Because I wanted to hear from you myself."

"Well? You have me trapped, so what do you want?" He asked, getting impatient.

"Why do you hate Kotaro?"

"Seriously?" Shouri scoffed. "Isn't it obvious? Because that bastard survived while everyone else didn't!"

"Is that really it...?" Harusui narrowed her eyes as she crossed her arms. "How sad, pitiful even."

"What was that?" Shouri scowled. "Say that again bitch! I dare you!"

"So not only are you petty, but also deaf?" The girl gasped in "shock". "Oh my, you are truly a sad one, Shouri Sakini."

Shouri cast the crushed can to the floor and and slammed his hands into the fence, trapping Harusui between it and his arms. He leaned towards her face until they were so close they could feel each other's breathing.

"You have no right to judge me!" He snarled, rattling the fence. "You-"

"And what right do you have to blame him!" She cut him off, venom dripping from her voice. "To hate an injured seven year old for failing to lift rubble more heavier than himself! For not trying to attempt an impossible task and just focus on surviving!"

"He could at least try!"

"And die along with the others?!"

"Yes!" He roared, glaring at her with hatred. "Do you any idea how sickening it is?! To watch the life that man worked so hard to save, only to have it be thrown away by that bastard! He threw everything away! A new life, a new family, fucking everything! He left us to rot in the flames alone like the coward he is!"

"Shut up, you piece of shit!" Harusui snapped as she grabbed his collar, making Shouri flinch. If she had the choice, she would've aimed at his neck instead. "You're hating him for something that happened 12 years ago... when you were both nothing but children. For you to hate him for something that wasn't in his control, you're exactly like a baby throwing a tamper tantrum!"

"Huh?! Shut up, that's-"

"Silence! I'm not done talking yet!" Harusui cut him off with a hiss. "Do you have any idea just how much hate he's received for the past 12 years just for being the only survivor of a huge fire that shouldn't have any survivors?! It's not his fault that he was a child who should have been beyond saving, yet lucked out and became an impossible survivor!"

Harusui's body started shaking as Shouri could feel her grip weakening.

"If the next generation saw this, they would call it a sign of good fortune, a miracle even..." She muttered. "But in this era? It's nothing more than a curse!"

Shouri's tight grip on the fence weakened. His angered eyes softened slightly.

"For the past 12 years, he was beaten up and ridiculed... his education was sabotaged and our home was vandalised... and so much more..." Harusui softly sobbed. "It got so bad that he even moved away and act like we don't know each other. After all, why waste your time hurting a sibling that he doesn't even give a damn about, right?"

Her hollow laugh echoed throughout the rooftop as her legs lost their strength and her body began to fell down. Out of instinct, Shouri let go of the fence and wrapped his hands around her waist to support her while his eyes were wide with conflicting emotions.

"And do you know what he said to me when I asked him why he let this happened to him?" Harusui whimpered as she buried her head in his chest, soaking his shirt with her tears. "Because he said there's someone more worthy to be my brother... to be part of our family... because he's just an intruder that took away his place..."

Shouri gulped.

"And that someone is you."

Any attempts at replying immediately died in his throat as a huge blow was delivered straight to his heart.

His mouth, agape and quivering, spluttered out a pathetic response.

"M-Me...?" He muttered in a echo. "H-He... how...?"

"Eiji Nogami, how else would Kotaro would know? He passed out in the fire after all." Harusui seethed. "Did you know, after the fire, he found out he had limited time left."

"Eiji Nogami was... dying?"

"That's right..." She mumbled. "And did you know what he did with that limited time? Instead of spending it with his daughter who thought he abandoned her, or spending it with his newly adopted son and making him feel loved among his new family... instead he spent all that time disappearing for months, using all his resources looking for you because he felt guilty for letting you go during the fire!"

Her shaking was getting worse, making Shouri tighten his arms around her waist automatically.

"He knew that I was alive...?" He muttered, looking a little dazed. "And he was... looking for me...?"

"And everytime he got back, Kotaro would always welcome him back with an accepting smile as if he deserved the treatment!" Harusui continued. "Do you have any idea just how much damage it did to him?!"

"I..." Shouri tried to speak up before going quiet. What can he say, or what could he even say at this point?

"My family was once a military arms dealer before focusing on both the fashion and the hospitality industry after Grandfather gained control of the company via hostile takeover, so if would be an understatement to say we're quite wealthy and influential, right?" Harusui whispered. "And do you know how pathetic and useless I felt when I have to watch him suffer from afar, knowing all that power and wealth can't do anything to change his situation? Rejecting our help because of his survivor's guilt and the sense of inferiority he felt everytime my father went away to look for you!"

"I..."

"And here you are, who barely even scratched the surface of what he went through because of surviving that fire alone and you dare have the gall to say he should suffer more!"

She lifted her arms and slammed them into his chest, but the blows were weak.

"You... I hate you... I hate you! I hate you! I HATE YOU!"

Shouri could only look away as the image of Kotaro that he created from the fire, which held all his anger, hatred and envy, crumbled in his mind. The familiar feeling of guilt and dread enveloped his body.

No... it wasn't dread, it was disgust.

Disgust at himself.

He pulled Harusui closer and leaned close to her ear.

"I'm sorry..." He whispered, even though he knew it had little effect as she continued her punches. "Let it all out. I won't judge."

Soon enough, the blows stopped as the sound of her sobbing echoed softly throughout the roof.

Harusui let out all her pent up sadness and frustration for the past 12 years.

Shouri kept her from falling, carrying a rekindled flame in his shaking heart.

A new reason to live. A new resolve stronger than ever. A new flame brought him back to life.

He wanted to harbour the future rather than be obsessed with the past.

Like his last name, Sakini, meant: straight ahead.

"Can I... talk to him?" He mumbled.

A man entered the rooftop. Shouri's eyes widened as he let go of Harusui.

"It's... you..."

Carrying himself forward dignifiedly, the man stood in front of Shouri with a gentle smile.

"I was waiting for you to ask that."

"I had a funny feeling you'd want to see him again." Harusui picked herself up, wiping the tears from her face.

"Kotaro..."

Shouri wobbled, but stretched out his hand. Kotaro shook it firmly.

"It's good to see you, but without the mask."

Shouri fell silent as he reflected on this moment.

"I want to fight you. Help put my feelings to rest, Kotaro Nogami." Shouri took out his deck.

"I accept your challenge... Shouri Sakini!" Kotaro drew his deck from it's sheath.

The two boys, connected by a fire, clashed in a battle of light and shadow. It was the cursed blue flames erupting from Dragstrider, Luard's mouth that ripped through Higher Deity Knight, Altmile, who couldn't defend against it even with his sky-boom shield.

Ayaza was waiting outside the hospital. Yza ran over, meeting up with him.

"Whew, I'm breathless from that run." Yza huffed.

"Took you long enough. I nearly got bored of waiting and died."

"Huh?! I messaged you to meet me at the hospital like ten minutes ago! I'm not late!"

"And I got here in about a minute." Ayaza smiled smugly.

"That's not fair! You have dragon wings, I had to run all the way from school!"

"Well, that's not my problem. Maybe you should've been born as the superior race."

"Huh?! Take it back you stupid dragon!"

"Hmm, I don't think I will, dumbass human."

Yza and Ayaza hit each other on the arms and laughed.

"So, why'd you ask me to come?" Ayaza asked.

"Mai's getting discharged from ICU!"

Ayaza stopped, sweat permeating his forehead.

"Mai... as in, Mai Heatwave?"

"Yes. The same girl you forced into being the vessel of Gyze."

"H-hang on, why do I have to visit?!"

"Huh, for a dragon king, you get easily flustered."

"I'm not flustered, I'm just... you wouldn't understand!"

"I think you're the one who doesn't understand, idiot."

Ayaza looked away, hissing at Yza.

"No, I get what you're trying to do. You're trying to make me apologise to her, aren't you?"

"Bingo. She deserves that much, doesn't she? She's only in ICU because of you."

"No way! No way, I can't do that!"

"Why not?! It's just an apology. Make it sincere and get on your knees. She'll be more likely to forgive you that way."

"Yeah, but I'm not seeking for her forgiveness or anything. I just..." Ayaza sighed, putting a hand to his face frustratedly. "How do I put it into words...?"

"Do you care at all about you did for Mai?"

"Well... yeah, of course I do... sure, I was being manipulated by the Void, but that's not an excuse. What I did was wrong."

"Okay, that's good. If you know what you did's bad, what's the mental hang-up for you then?"

"If it was that simple, I'd tell you already."

"Eh, I don't think so. You're the type to dance around your feelings."

"So? It doesn't matter, I didn't even come here to apologise. If I said sorry to her now, it'd be half-assed and worthless. I'll come back another day for it and—"

"You're just gonna keep procrastinating if you do that. Let me ask you another question. Do you want to take responsibility?"

"Responsibility?"

"That's right. Are you willing to take responsibility for the consequences? Because so far, I've seen you do nothing of the sort."

Ayaza's faced twisted as Yza started to confront him.

"It maybe hard for you to swallow, Ayaza, but the truth is you've taken responsibility for nothing that you've forced upon to other people. Instead of being sympathetic to Chiharu for ripping her boyfriend away from her, you doubled down and taunted her. You're better than that, aren't you?!"

"So what?! I was the villain, I was just playing my role! Nothing I'd say would make me look good! Any attempt at sympathy would make me look disingenuous! Do you honestly think a simple word like "sorry" will magically sort all the problems out?!"

"Even if it won't sort it out, it's the start of you fixing the mistakes that you made! How about Shouri, when you forcibly revived him and made him work for you? He wanted to die, but he couldn't even have that!"

"It's better if he's alive, isn't it?! I revived them because it was unfair the Void took their lives away! What I did was right!!"

"You forced them to work for you! How many of them actually wanted to fight for Zeroth Dragons, huh?!"

"Shut up! I don't want to hear this from you when you weren't even there! I did everything for you, you know!"

"I know that! But I can't stand around watching one of my closest friends brush away the devastation he's caused under the rug like he did nothing wrong!"

"Then what about Backlion? What has he done to take responsibility, huh?! He's just as bad as me, isn't he?!"

"He's just as bad, if not, even worse. But there's a distinct difference between you two. He's trying to mend the past. You aren't. Even now, you're trying to run away... because you're scared of hearing what they have to say!"

Ayaza grabbed Yza by the hood and head-butted him.

"Shut up! I'm not scared! I don't give a damn about what they have to say about me! They talk all the shit they want and I'd agree with it all!"

Yza head-butted him back, grabbing the cuff of Ayaza's jumper.

"Then what's stopping you?! Tell me, what's preventing you from taking the first step towards healing their pain?!"

"I... I don't want them to see me! I know that... the last thing they'd want is to see me try to make amends! If the person who ruined your life suddenly tried to help you out, you'd be wary too, wouldn't you?!"

Ayaza shoved Yza aside.

"But even so... what else can I do if I can't even see them? I'm just trying to stay out of their life... isn't that clear to see? What you think is my lack of action is to me the only action necessary. I'm not sweeping anything under the rug! I know I caused Gyze's resurrection! And I know full well I used Mai for it!"

Black flames leaked from Ayaza's tightened fists.

"I did everything... to see you again! And to hear you say all this... when I had no other choice but to use heinous means to get you back... it hurts, Yza! I might be the tyrant of Dragon Empire, but I... I'm also Ayaza! I have feelings too!"

He slammed his fist into Yza's chest.

"I'm not like you! I'm not a hero! I can't make people feel better... all I do is make them feel worse! If I apologised to Mai now, I'd somehow fuck it up! Just like every other time!"

Yza wrapped his hand around Ayaza's fist.

"So I can't do it! There's no way I could do it! Not yet... sometime in the future... when everyone can laugh about it... and it'll hurt less..."

"No one will simply "laugh over" nearly losing their life. I know you'll keep putting this off until Mai dies. Then you'll start hating yourself, regretting that you never said those "meaningless" words."

Ayaza's face deflated.

"I know. Sorry isn't a powerful word. It can be a cheap cop-out. But it's worth comes from here."

Yza punched the middle of Ayaza's chest.

"From your fucking heart, dude. Even if Mai doesn't want to see you, she'll at least appreciate that you want to repent for what you did. She might hate you for it. She might forgive you over it. But you'll never know unless you take action and say it."

Ayaza heaved a sigh.

"I have a funny feeling you knew this entire time deep down what you needed to do... but couldn't do it without a push."

Yza shoved him inside the hospital.

"That's why... we'll go together! So things won't be as awkward, and it'll be less rough for you."

"You're simultaneously the best and worst friend anyone could ask for..."

The two headed to Mai's room.

"Don't let the nerves get to you. If you can say sorry to Mai, you can do anything."

"I'm not scared saying that to her, so stop acting like it's the case..."

"I dunno, you seem terrified to me."

"Well, she does represent all the depraved things I did in a way. You know her brother, who's in the year under us?"

"Yeah, Dax, right?"

"Mhm. He confronted me once... told me to never show my face near his sister or else. Even though I could easily kick his ass in a fight, the threat still unsettled me."

"Oh, so it's his fault why you think like this."

"No it isn't... stop drawing baseless conclusions from the smallest bits of evidence."

"I mean, even if he doesn't want you to see his sister, if your resolve to make things right is strong enough, then even he'll have to recognise it and yield."

"My resolve isn't strong enough yet... you've thrusted this upon me suddenly and now I'm all shaken up and panicking."

"You are scared!"

"Panicked. There's a difference!"

"Same shit, different toilet. Reminder who's the author here!"

"You haven't even published a book yet you high school drop out."

Yza and Ayaza stood in front of Mai's room.

"God, I'm dreading this..."

"Dreading apologising to her, or seeing her?"

"Seeing her obviously... if I can tell her I regret doing this, then that's a massive weight lifted from my chest."

"Ding, ding, ding! Correct answer!"

"Huh? Fuck off, I'm not that shallow."

"I'm just glad you're finally taking responsibility for the past."

"You better too as well, Kinjuzo."

Ayaza nudged him with a cheeky wink. He laughed, nodding.

"Yeah. I've kept her waiting, haven't I?"

Kinjuzo opened the door and ushered Ayaza inside.

Mai was bedridden and wrapped in bandages from head to toe.

"Guest...?" She weakly whispered.

"Mai, it's me!"

"I-it...?!"

Mai started to cry as she heard his voice.

"Kinjuzo... I'm here to see you."

"Kinju.. zo... Kin... Ju... Ju..."

Due to the damage to her brain and jaw, Mai could only say limited sentences and words.

"Ju... Ju... Ju..."

She cried his name out repeatedly, trying to reach out to him. She partially lost some of her eyesight as well.

"I'm here... I'm here..." Kinjuzo gently held her hand which was in a cast. "I'm right here. By your side."

"Ju... back... miss... Ju..."

"Mai... I missed you too! I've missed you so much... I wish I never left your side!"

Kinjuzo, who couldn't handle watching his lover barely live, started to cry uncontrollably on her hand.

Ayaza watched from afar, hesitant to step forward. He thought the couple deserved their moment together, so he stepped outside briefly so they could communicate.

"Hey, Mai... when you start rehab... I want to be there for every moment... I want to help you walk again... I want to help you eat again... I want to help you speak again... I want to be there to encourage you... to tell you you can do it... how does that sound? It's nice, right?!"

Kinjuzo smiled with tears staining his face as he listed off his wishes for Mai.

"I want to go on lots of dates when you're out of the hospital... hey, we should also go to Europe... I know you like their fashion styles... oh, you wanted to be a model right? How's your career been? I bet it's been good!"

Mai's face was destroyed beyond recognition. Her body was mutilated and deformed beyond repair.

"With a face as cute as yours... and a body as petite and slim... yeah, of course it'd be good..."

"Ju... fashion... happy..."

Kinjuzo tightened his grip on her hand, hearing those basic words leave her lips.

"Even if they don't think you're beautiful anymore... you're still beautiful to me, Mai..."

The future was unsure for Mai. She wanted to be a model, but because of the damage she received from Gyze, her physical appearance had been torn to shreds.

Without realising it, Ayaza had also nipped her dream away from her.

"Hey, Mai... someone else came too... don't freak out when you see him, okay...?"

Hearing his cue, Ayaza reentered with heavy shoulders.

"But it's—"

Mai's eyes started to shiver and leak tears of fear.

Ayaza stood beside Kinjuzo, looking away solemnly.

"It's me. Ayaza."

"No... Ju... pain... no... no..."

Mai weeped, trying to scream for help. No matter how wide she tried opening her mouth, due to her broken vocal cords, nothing would come out. If anything, it'd hurt her throat even more.

"Mai, no, no, please, calm down... he's not here to hurt you... he's here to..."

When Kinjuzo turned back to Ayaza, his eyes widened.

Ayaza was grovelling on the floor in a dogeza.

"MAI! I'M SORRY! I'M SORRY FOR RUINING YOUR LIFE!!"

Mai curled up, trying to cover her ears. However, her body was restricted and couldn't do a thing. She squirmed and struggled, trying to escape Ayaza's voice that was burning with regret and cracking with sincerity.

Kinjuzo was startled by it, but understood that this was Ayaza's own way of taking responsibility: by making a fool out of himself. Squeezing her hand to help calm her down, Kinjuzo caressed her cheek.

"Mai, it's alright... don't be afraid. You can hear it... his pent up feelings overflowing. Listen carefully, okay?"

"Ju... no... scare... loud... no... no..."

Mai continued to cry as she tried to endure Ayaza's voice. His being was like a lethal poison to her. Something she couldn't stand to look or hear at due to the trauma carved into her heart.

"I... I don't mind if you hate me forever! I encourage you to hate me forever! After all... I was the one who ripped off your wings and severed your ability to fly! You wouldn't be here, stuck in this hospital room, if I never forced you to become his vessel... it's all my fault! Please, put all the blame on me and no one else!!"

Even though he could tell Mai wanted to run away, Ayaza continued to apologise recklessly. Despite this bullheaded way of doing things, all he wanted was to reassure Mai's wavering feelings. That it was okay to hate him.

"I swear... I'll do what I can to make it up to you! I'll pay for your medical bills! I'll disappear from your life! I'll let you hit me over and over! Just please..."

Ayaza buried his head into the ground even further, grazing his forehead against the carpet.

"Please let me be selfish and tell you... I'M SORRY! I'M SORRY, MAI!!!"

Raising his head slightly, Ayaza huffed breathlessly. His chest felt unusually light. His body twitched as he waited for Mai's reaction.

Nothing came.

She was silently sobbing. Kinjuzo was quietly comforting her, but gave a manly nod to Ayaza.

Ayaza half-smiled, half-frowned, and lowered his head.

"I'll see you guys..."

He was about to leave, before Kinjuzo said something to him directly.

"I'm proud of you."

Ayaza's eyes widened, and his mixed expression sunk.

"Don't be. There's still a lot more I need to do... like tell Chiharu I'm sorry too."

Without letting Kinjuzo respond, Ayaza walked forward, head held high.

"I don't need him to tell me to "do it" anymore. I've decided... from today, I'll stop trying to dance around it all. I'll face it head on... without any reservations, regrets, or fear."

These were both Ayaza's and Mai's first steps towards recovery.

(Ending here)

Next time on Z World:

#74: Trip Down Memory Lane

Kurakuya: I stalk Yza's and Rukia's date while giving commentary to events that have happened in the past.

================================

A/N

Uh... I never expected this chapter to end up being so long as it is... the outline was Yza talking to Chiharu and Mai, so I'm not sure how it spiralled out into this...

I really outdid myself and nearly made this 9k words... nearly a new record for Z World, nearly a new record.

Anyways, this should settle most of the serious plot points in this story... you can guess where Mai and Ayaza end up in the future. Don't worry, Mai makes a full recovery and Ayaza apologises to everyone he's caused trouble for.

Whether or not they forgive him? Well, it's up for you, the reader, to decide!

I like to think she forgave him. I will admit though, trying to write any sweet KinMai scenes when one of them is a vegetable is super difficult... I did much better with the YozoHaru one. Ah, such a cute couple...

Speaking of which, how many of you ship Shouri and Harusui now? I know I do! Wow, their confrontation was so sexually charged, it's scary!

Also, yes, Maxios and Rachel do get married. This was going to be a chapter, but I've actually never attended any weddings before, so I would have no idea how to write one, hence the little reference to it this chapter.

Well, we're in the homestretch now. Only a few chapters are left before Z World comes to an end.

I hope next chapter will be more comedic! I combined two plot points, a Kurakuya focused chapter, and a RuZa date chapter, to make 74! It's going to written in 1st person perspective, so eat your heart out Generations! Now you won't be the first CCEU story to write in 1st person!

(Has forgotten he is the author of Generations)

Anyways, it's getting super laggy to write, so I'll end it here.

That's all, Fox out!

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro