32| Manan Movie

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

A/N: Hello readers, this is a long, long, chapter alert & I already have goosebumps imagining your reaction to it :D

So, I have penned this chapter sitting in Ahmedabad, where I am visiting for work. This could be a long chapter because 1) I just couldn't shorten all this stuff that's happening 2) Without the kids I had some peaceful time to write :P

Okay, without further ado, please go ahead and read. We will chat in the end of the chapter!

"How does this look? Fashionable enough?" Nandini murmured, looking at her own reflection in the mirror. She was wearing a shimmery bronze bodycon gown that went onto her ankles. She matched that with bronze stilettos & accessorised herself with a shiny back clutch. Her makeup was minimal and her hair was let loose, with soft curls reaching her shoulder. She was going to go before the press for the first time after the last fiasco. Today was the trailer launch of Dhruv's ongoing film 'Pehla Pehla Pyaar', which was starring Manik & Innaya. The same movie they had snatched from Aryamann, which pushed him to announce Nandini's debut in his movie. This was in many ways, the wheels of destiny motioning towards Nandini's devastation in the future..

"You look adorable Nandini.." Zubin replied, looking at her with warmth & adoration. Nandini smiled, breaking free from her thoughts.

"Mukti. What do you think?" Nandini turned towards her bedroom door, as Mukti walked in, furiously typing something on her phone. She glanced up at Nandini and stopped abruptly, while eyeing her head to toe.

"Zubin is right. You look adorable" Mukti replied.

"Thanks, Mukti." Nandini smiled.

"..but it wasn't a compliment, Nandini." Mukti spoke again as both Nandini & Zubin looked at each other & frowned.

Mukti moved forward and snatched her clutch out of Nandini's grip and motioned for her to take off her shoes, as she spoke. "You see Nandini, this is why actors need a stylist. Their lives depend on us. You think after putting on makeup & clothes for the media every day of their lives, actors don't have a good or a reasonable sense of dressing? Why do you think they still insist on stylists?"

"Why?" Zubin asked bewildered, scratching his head & Nandini looked clueless, while Mukti got onto the business of asking her to get out of her dress and go to the hairdresser in the next room, to rewash her hair and blow dry it.

"..but I am ready, Mukti!" Nandini whined.

Mukti looked at the two of them exasperated. This wasn't going to be an easy job! "Nandini you do look adorable in this get up, but you can't look adorable right now. You are not Manik's trophy wife or love interest anymore. You are not that cute girl who will smile before the papps and it will steal away the hearts of a million Manik fans! If you want the world to see you differently, you have to give them a different Nandini, right? It is showbiz babe, what you see, sells!"

"Meaning?" Nandini asked. She understood what Mukti said, but wasn't sure how her dressing would make a difference.

"Nandini, today when you go before the press, you are not a doting wife or a loving partner of Manik Malhotra. Today you are his adversary; today you are a mystery, the press should wonder what you're doing there, today marks your return in the Page 3 headlines, Nandini. Reporters will ask why you're here, Manik will be uncomfortable, you will be silent with a curiously alluring smile. Today the press will see an enigma in you, Nandini and we need to feed that fire, we need the hustle, we need the PR. It is only when the gossip mills start rolling around you, will the announcement of your acting debut give you the kind of lift that you need. So you see Nandini, you cannot look adorable anymore, my girl..but don't worry, your super stylist Mukti is here, the first official self appointed staff in your entourage, she will take care of the fashion." Mukti finished dramatically, with a bow & Nandini looked dazed.

"Hurry up now, girl. You have ten mins." Mukti hurried her.

Manik was standing with Innaya and Dhruv in the event that had half the film industry pouring in along with all the who's who of press and fashion. They were at the banquet of the city's most expensive, heritage hotel property, launching the trailer of his movie. As per the itinerary, Manik, Innaya & Dhruv would first address the press with an official greeting & then an eminent anchor would take the stage and create some buzz and fun interaction. This was to be followed by Dhruv & the director going on stage and presenting the trailer of the movie, and Manik & Innaya were expected to shake a leg on this, while the title music of the movie played in the background. After that they were to give the press some bytes about the movie, bts gossip from the shoot schedules etc. & finally the bar would be open for drinks followed by dinner.

"..for the last time Innaya, no last minute scandalous bytes before the press okay?" Manik warned her again, remembering the kiss scandal from the 'muhurat' day, as Innaya rolled her eyes.

"Can I at least say that we needed at least twenty retakes of all the hot makeout scenes from the movie?" Innaya smirked and asked Manik in a requesting tone, knowing very well it would irritate the life out of Manik.

"Shut up Innaya, please don't make me regret working with you!" Manik responded in irritation. Dhruv decided to intervene at this point. "Come on guys, be tolerable to each other, if this pairing is a hit, you may work on many projects together!"

"Hey Manik, is that your wife, oops ex-wife I mean, oops no, partner I guess? Oh but you guys' broke up again, umm ex-partner maybe? God, your relationship is so complicated that I don't know what to call her anymore" taunted Innaya, looking towards the entrance of the banquet. Manik's head jerked towards that direction without a moment's delay as he gaped at the woman walking inside the banquet with Mukti & Zubin, was it? What the hell?

She was wearing a bronze bodycon gown that had a deep slit up till her upper thigh on one side, she had paired it with blood red peep-toe pumps, her blood red well manicured nails clutched a shiny, golden minaudiere clutch that was the the shape of a box. He slowly measured his eyes up her curvaceous body to find a delicate pearl drop diamond wristlet loosely clung onto her wrist. It stung him, he knew it was stupid, but a part of him wanted to see her still wearing his lucky wristband that he had given her the night he had left her at Navya's after returning from London. He finally looked up to see the ravishing face of Nandini, but he almost stumbled because, hell, he couldn't find her. This woman was an imposter, not his Nandini. His Nandini never put such dark, smokey, eye makeup, nor made such bold, head turning statements in red lipstick! Her hair was tied up in a messy high bun and wait was she winking at Dhruv with a mischievous smirk!?

"Woah" Dhruv's appreciative voice broke his reverie as he sharply turned towards Dhruv with a red face. At that moment he wanted to punch that sick smirk out of Dhruv's sick, ugly face.

"What the fuck is she doing here?" Manik urged Dhruv, glaring at him.

"Nothing that concerns you. Basic PR drive, I am reintroducing her to the press, that's all" Dhruv replied casually, before walking away from him to greet her.

Reintroducing her to press? What the hell?! What was Nandini thinking, coming to this event in such an outlandish getup? Didn't she know, the press would butcher her alive? Had it not taken all his press sources to keep her off the headlines for a bit? Why was she doing this? Why was she pulling herself back to that dark spot? They were not even announcing their new movie anytime soon, then what was her fucking hurry?! Manik was shocked to say the least!

"Wow, so she just needed two weeks to bounce back in the game? So Dhruv & your ex chic is an item now?" Innaya's malicious voice reached Manik's ears & only the Lord knew how he controlled himself from shredding her apart.

"Innaya, if you don't want to face the press with an eye patch or a broken jaw or any kind of facial defects, then I suggest you avoid me, till we go on stage." Manik whispered yelled at Innaya, who rolled her eyes in amusement, and to Manik's astonishment, started walking towards Nandini, who was now talking politely with Dhruv, Zubin & Mukti.

It was enough, he had to talk sense into her now, Nandini couldn't do risky stuff like this. Wasn't his father, mother also invited to this event? Shit, Nandini had to leave before they came in. He was about to walk towards them, when Cabir stopped him. "Manik, stop. All eyes of the press are on you & Nandini. It's too soon to greet her amicably & long enough to show more animosity. You have to politely ignore her. Also stop staring at her!" Manik nodded. Cabir was right, but how could he save her today?

"Cabir, where is Ranbir? Did you talk to him?" Manik urged.

"I did. He will meet you at the penthouse tomorrow morning. Until then, please calm down."  Cabir responded.

"..err, Cabir, is dad coming here tonight?" Manik tried very hard to hide the panic in his voice, but Cabir could still feel the edge. He surveyed Manik from the corner of his eyes before saying, "So, the moment I saw Nandini here, I called Shrikant sir to tell him that we have your monthly PR report coming in, and post scandal the nos don't look good, if he was free tonight, I'd send your newly appointed PR person, Navya to him to discuss a few new PR campaigns we planned, and we want his valuable inputs on them"

"Did he fall for it?" Manik asked, sounding slightly relieved.

"Dissecting your PR strategy is his favourite retirement hobby. Of course he fell for it. I think he might put in a word to you for giving me a raise too!" Cabir chuckled and Manik smiled. One crisis was averted.

"..and Mom?" Manik asked again.

"..that crisis couldn't be averted, she'd be here any moment now." Cabir answered with a long face. Manik nodded. His mom was not unmanageable.

"Nandini, let me introduce you to this fine gentleman here. I am sure you know him through his movies already, but this is Karan Chopra, the king of masala movies!" Dhruv introduced Nandini to a very handsome man, who had just joined them to greet Dhruv.

"Hi Karan, I'm Nandini" Nandini greeted him with a smile.

"Hi Nandini, I know you of course." Karan smiled at her warmly. Nandini's smile froze. Of course he knew her, they all did. Who could have ignored the character butchering she faced before the press sometime back? Her face must have fallen considerably at his response, because Karan noticed her crestfallen face. He added, "Alia Saxena is a very close friend, she talks very highly of you."

Nandini smiled. At least this guy was making an effort to not be mean or hurtful to her. That was something. Otherwise from the moment she had entered, as much as she tried behaving like the witch diva that Mukti had trained her to be tonight, it did sting seeing people's judgemental eyes on her, and the hush toned voices talking behind her back.

"Alia is a great girl." Nandini added and he nodded. Then Karan greeted Mukti, who seemed to know everyone around, owing to the amount of time she had been in business. "..and this is?" Karan asked, looking at the other guy standing with them, as Dhruv excused himself to greet some guests. Nandini looked at the guy in question, and gave him a genuine smile. "He is Zubin, my friend and PR" she added.

"Zubin Pestonji" Zubin greeted Karan, shaking his hands. Karan looked thoughtful.

"If I am not mistaken, weren't you with Manik Malhotra exclusively? My manager reached out to you recently.." Karan asked, looking confused.

"I was. I am not working for Mr. Malhotra anymore" he replied stiffly. Karan's curious eyes fell on Nandini again. Nandini knew what he was thinking; why was Manik's ex-PR servicing Nandini, when these folks had written so much rubbish about her to begin with. Was he wrong? No.

It had been one week since her meeting with Manik at Dhruv's office wherein her movie with DV Films had worked out. Time was on her side because even her movie with Khanna Productions also worked out! It was now time to move back to Mumbai from Mangalore. Mukti & already decided that she was staying with her, until she was a star too big to fit in her home, she had joked & Nandini had happily accepted the offer. Although tough on the face, but in the very core of her heart, the idea of going back to Mumbai was intimidating her. She didn't want to be alone there, and Mukti seemed to understand that.

Smaran was of course her sanity sponsor and he was the one who helped with all the paperwork of her contracts, making sure they were airtight; he negotiated her fees & helped her manage her dates between the two upcoming movies, their marketing events etc. and was basically working as her manager. However Nandini knew he was only helping her out, he couldn't permanently join her entourage leaving his business, so they were also in the lookout for her staff. She was going to be a controversial brand & obviously she didn't have enough money to pay for the best talents in her team, so she was not sure of how to hire a manager for herself, and not only that, more importantly someone to handle her PR stuff.

It seemed as if to answer her prayer, her Aiyappa had sent someone to meet her, the very next day after she moved in with Mukti. It was none other than Zubin! Nandini had no reason to trust him, but when he mentioned how the senior Malhotra's had bullied him into ransacking her image and how after the job was done, Manik had thrown him out of his job, Nandini decided to give him a chance. Not only did she see true guilt in his eyes for causing Nandini's undoing, but it seemed to Nandini that he still had some lingering care left for Mukti, judging by the way he kept glancing at her. Was there a fleeting chance to restore Mukti's life after losing Abhimanyu, Nandini wondered.

"..but Zubin, I know you need the money. I know you are responsible for your family. I..can't afford you, Zubin.." Nandini had stated it upfront.

Zubin understood her situation. "Nandini, after what I did to you, my conscience doesn't let me sleep in peace. Please give me a chance, so I can look up to the mirror when I stand before it, and say, I am at least trying to undo the wrong & do the right..as for money, if you're okay with it, I will not be exclusive to you, so I can take up a few more artists & the pool of money I will make together, should suffice.."  Zubin suggested.

Nandini looked at his guilt ridden eyes. She didn't really blame him to be honest, because he was literally doing his job, but until now she didn't trust him either; with his words he managed to get back her trust. He was in it for the good, not the money, he wouldn't break her trust. Nandini had nodded and welcomed him back to her life, this time as her PR, and just like that, life had given Zubin one more chance to right the wrongs.

"Are you exclusive to Nandini?" Karan's next question broke Nandini's reveries. "I mean, the way you handled the whole PR from the death of Nandini's security in-charge, until the end, was quite commendable. I would love for you to take a look at my PR, if that's fine with Nandini.." Karan added.

Nandini smiled, "He is not exclusive to me, Karan, he is doing my job only as a favour, as a friend. I am sure he will be thrilled to handle your PR."

"Aah, we are sharing PR already? How intimate..!" Innaya's taunting voice broke through their conversation, as Nandini turned to see her joining them.

"Are you jealous, Innaya?" Karan chuckled at her. Innaya rolled her eyes. "I am just here to see this all new revamped Nandini Murthy. What are you doing here, & why do you even need a PR, babe? You're not Manik's arm candy anymore, right?" Innaya looked at Nandini with a cold jibe.

" I know, right.." Nandini replied, with a friendly smile, much to Karan, Mukti & Zubin's surprise. Then she added, "..but how to explain this to my attention seeking heart, you tell me, Innaya? How can I rid the fame, the glory, the limelight just like that? That's why I am here, to learn how to seek attention & hog limelight, from you! I mean you are the queen of unnecessary attention right? Always up with a sleazy trick up your sleeve, should the camera not take a snap of yours. I am here to learn from the best in business!" Nandini replied with a shrewd mouth as Innaya gaped at her & the rest tried hiding their chortle. "..in fact since you're here Innaya, do tell me what's your plan tonight? You already kissed Manik in the muhurat press meet, so what do you plan to do now? Will you make out with him? Suck cock maybe? Do tell me, I am so curious." Nandini added further, she knew it was uncalled for and extra but hadn't Mukti taught her that. She was to say those extra things, she personally didn't approve of, that was her new image. She had to build it. She quickly glanced at Mukti to see her giving her a proud, approving nod, while Karan just looked amused and Zubin, plain stumped. He never thought Nandini could be so sassy.

"You're so sick" Innaya snapped at her before leaving. She was soon followed by Karan, seeing the awkwardness in the air.

"Way to go, girl!" Nandini jumped hearing the familiar voice of Alia greeting her after a few moments and before she knew it, she hugged her. Alia hugged her back with equal gusto and in the nanosecond Nandini felt like her real self.

"Alia, all this image building is ghastly, it's a nightmare." Nandini mumbled to her.

"I know darling, but the way you dealt with Innaya, I have to say you're doing a good job!" She encouraged her. Nandini smiled. Standing here amidst a group of people she trusted and maybe even loved, she felt safe, despite putting up a charade of a menacingly sassy woman, that she wasn't to the core, yet.

"Sir, ma'am, the trailer of Pehla Pehla Pyaar looks great! The title track is amazing & you both dancing to it already set this stage on fire! We can't wait to run to the theatres for its release..'' As the compliments started pouring in for Manik & Innaya after the trailer launch from peers in the industry & members of the press, Manik began to feel a little relaxed. So far things were in control and he prayed it stayed that way. He had trained his eyes to stay away from Nandini, other than throwing cursory glances once in a while, and she seemed to be keeping to herself, Mukti & Alia mostly. Although he really wanted to know what that scumbag Zubin was doing with her, but for now he was hanging out with his contemporary Karan Chopra, so he wasn't too worried. As long as Nandini stayed clear of trouble.

"So Innaya ma'am, please do share some juicy behind the scene deets while shooting with Manik sir for all these days, we are all eager for some bytes" a question from a tabloid journalist caught Manik's attention, who quickly looked at Innaya. She was smirking and Manik was silently panicking, not that what the press thought about his character mattered to him anymore, but somewhere deep down he didn't want Nandini to think that he was prowling around now that she was out of his life. He knew Nandini probably wouldn't care & thought worse of him, but still, what if it pinched her somewhere deep & hidden? Manik didn't want to hurt her again, he'd done enough already.

"What can I say, Manik is a private man! He doesn't like me telling you guys about what really happens behind the scenes between us!" Innaya replied with a sly wink & that encouraged the press further. Manik sighed, why wouldn't this woman stay within limits?

"Manik sir, so is it safe to assume, you and Innaya ma'am are special friends now?" another journalist air quoted, with a smirk & Manik had to bring his A game in acting to stop himself from throttling him. He glanced around to locate Nandini and damn she was within earshot, talking to Mukti with an absolute poker face. How did this woman have the power to rip his heart without even looking at him?

"Guys, you all are here for the movie, right? Let's not digress then?" Manik replied, curtly but then on second thoughts added, "..and just so we are clear, Innaya & I are great coworkers, there is nothing more to imagine here." He didn't want to wake up the next morning to Page 3 speculations, if his silence was wrongly taken, right?

"Innaya ma'am, what are your takes on the Manan split? It happened while this shoot was going right, did it impact the shoot schedule? Was Manik sir vulnerable?" another journalist shot at them and just as Manik fisted his palms and glared at them to respond, Cabir's distinct cough stopped him. Yes, the press was indirectly trying to instigate him, they wanted him to lose it and add more fodder to his and Nandini's dying controversy. He breathed hard, and swallowed back his choler.

Innaya on the other hand didn't look like she was going to back out of this juicy opportunity. "Oh yes, the infamous who's baby cry that led to the split.." Innaya began, and Manik stopped breathing and turned white in anger, hearing the derogatory tone she used.

"Innaya..!" Manik lost control & began..but Cabir quickly got his mic switched off. He knew something was going to spew in this conference, so he had kept this option handy. Manik glared at him, finding himself inaudible and looked like he could skin Cabir alive, but before he could take action, he heard Innaya talking again.

"I hope it's not too soon to talk about Manik" she glanced at him with a smirk before continuing, "..but yes it unfolded around the time of our movie shoot, but we weren't shooting together around that time, so I cannot tell." Manik sighed in relief, Innaya didn't stoop low on this.

However, Innaya wasn't done talking. "Manik has always been very professional & we didn't see much drama from his side on the set with regards to this. However, if you really want to know how it went, then, our ruling queen of Page 3 is right here with us today, Nandini Murthy, didn't you guys notice her? Why don't you ask her? I am sure news always sounds more authentic from the horse's mouth, right? Wait, let me call her onstage!" drawled Innaya's unmistakable witchy voice & Manik shuddered.

Now shit would hit the roof.

It took the press a moment to absorb this, that Innaya gave them such a golden opportunity & in a moment's notice there was a hail cry for Nandini Murthy!

"Guys, this conference is about our movie and I am sorry, but if we're digressing from there, I don't see the point of continuing it." Manik shouted out aloud this time, and despite his microphone being off, people heard him. The press was just about to settle down seeing Manik Malhotra's furious face & Manik just thought things were coming back in control, when Nandini Murthy walked up on the dais where the cast was sitting with a confident smile on her face!

"What the hell!?" Manik murmured & Cabir broke into cold sweat. What was this woman up to?

"Thanks Innaya, for being so generous & giving me some stage time cutting short on your promotions, to let me interact with the press to address the elephant in the room! I wish Manik Malhotra was as considerate as you while handling the press during our little scandal!" She smiled in an impish way & as Manik noticed, her face was still the same but her features had darkened, giving her a salacious look. Manik didn't even know if it was possible but his heart broke more, seeing her. The price that Manik paid to keep her alive, seemed to have killed the very essence of Nandini..

"Hi there ex-husband, ex-boyfriend..whatever!" Nandini greeted Manik once on the dais, rolling her eyes. Innaya looked stoked, herself. Her idea was to embarrass Nandini, to insult her for her rude remark, never to give her a real face time with the press cutting her own time! Woah, who was this woman, she wondered.

The press looked at her like she was their shiny new toy & Manik freaked out thinking how they'd butcher her now & he'd not be able to do anything to save her, because this would all go on camera & he didn't want his father & grandfather to think he was still protecting her, when they saw this on the news the next day.

"So..where was I? Yes, the scandal. The who's baby coup, as my dear friend Innaya here calls it! You want to know how Manik Malhotra reacted to the loss? Well, he was initially embarrassed for being fooled" began Nandini and giggled. Manik was numb. Only he knew, how long it took & how hard he fought, still fights to forget the whole baby PR, and the sense of loss he feels each time when he remembers it. However, he felt he deserved this butchery, he deserved it for not being able to be man enough to actually have a child for real & even not protect a phantom child. Nandini deserved to say all this shit about him, but he only wished she didn't fall in the trap while digging his grave.

"...after embarrassment came empathy for himself; how could this happen to him? And after that sympathy for his partner who lost a child. Like his name, he is indeed a gem, right guys? Who feels bad for a cheating partner? Well, apparently Manik Malhotra does!" Nandini said softly. Manik's head shot up in shock. What was she doing? Why was she praising him? Off late Nandini and her ways made no damn sense to him. What was she trying to do? Garner more hate for herself? Was she mad?

"Nandini.." Manik began, even without realising and the press was stunned to silence, seeing the scene play before them. "..no, no, don't stop me Manik. The world needs to see that you are a real life hero too!" Nandini said, as she looked at Manik with pride in her eyes. Were they even real?

"When I lost the baby, I was upset for sure, I had to be right, cause no matter who the father was, I was the mom..but guess what I got over the loss! ..but do you know who couldn't? Your Manik Malhotra. Your hero. The guy who came to set like Innaya said & shot relentlessly for this movie would go back home and suffer the trauma of losing a child that was not even his; he cried for a child whose mum forgot her, but Manik Malhotra didn't. That's how amazing a man he is, guys. So after that I started feeling first guilty, then annoyed & finally bored. I mean, yes, it was a sad thing to happen, but it did, we've got to move on, right? When Manik realised I was moving on without any remorse, in about a week's time of the incident, he decided it was time. He couldn't be with a low life like me anymore! Imagine, as if trying to lead a guilt free life is a crime out here.." drawled Nandini as the entire banquet full of people stood there frozen, hearing her.

"..so we broke up, I moved away from here and decided to start a new life with new people; delete Manik from my life for good. Your Manik Malhotra was of course generous despite the split. He tried to subdue the press & their hatred against me, he even helped put press restraints on me so that you guys didn't harass me! But you see guys, the rest of the world isn't Manik Malhotra! They were not as forgiving of me. I was denied jobs for no apparent reason, I wasn't allowed to rent accommodations for no fault of mine, my friend stayed away from me. In short, I was left with no ways to earn, or no place to stay! What was I to do to survive now? I was angry & upset & hurt & with all these emotions packed in me I had called Manik Malhotra again! I abused him to the end of the world, guys! Then guess what? Instead of hating me, he decided to help me out again! Can you freaking believe that?" Nandini was laughing carefreely now & Manik stared at her blankly. He stopped feeling altogether. Why was Nandini lying through her teeth & saying good stuff about him? He didn't deserve this praise at all!

"Do you want to know how he decided to help me this time? Well he took me in his new movie with DV Films as a debutante in a negative lead!" Nandini cheered, as everyones' head shot up in shock including Manik & Innaya's! So this is us, announcing our new collaboration with DV Films in an honest, yet very dramatic way! Guys, did you like it? Now that you know the real relationship Manik & I share, are you willing to come and give us a chance on screen? On this note let me call our producer, Dhruv! Dhruv, can you please come up on stage once again!" Now Nandini laughed loudly and clapped her hands in joy.

It took the press another ten seconds to realise Nandini not only gave them the biggest scoop of the Manan scandal, but also announced her freaking new movie with Manik & Dhruv! Manik was in shock, as he saw Dhruv walk up the dais at ease. He realised Dhruv was in loop with this, and as he came on stage, the banquet broke into a thunderous applause! With hoots & shouts & excitement. Their movie was a hit right from the announcement. Who'd have thought of such a brilliant promotion tactic, thought Manik.

"Guys, when Innaya called Nandini and she wanted to come up on stage to do this, I agreed for two reasons! One, I didn't want people to think Nandini was taken in my movie for her publicity, this could act as a live audition where you see the talent house she is; and secondly, I thought it was a great idea to own up to one's true self, whether it is perceived as good or bad. Today Nandini Murthy owned up to her honest self & this honesty is what she will bring to the screen as my character & anti-hero in the movie. Folks, I hope you are as excited about this untitled project of ours, as you are about Pehla Pehla Pyaar! Can we hear some noise guys?" Dhruv cheered & the crowd hooted in support. Then Dhruv called for Manik and he walked ahead and he along with Dhruv & Nandini took a bow before a banquet full of applause as Inaaya sat back & tried digesting how Nandini stole her limelight just like that. Was she competition now?

"Well done Nandini, step two successful" Mukti whispered with pride, when she came off the dais, and handled the press and finally found her.

"We need to thank Zubin." she whispered and smiled at Zubin who was standing a little far smiling at her. Mukti nodded. "Also I will not let Innaya get away with the baby comment, I swear" Nandini breathed hard.

"Nandini, you've got her too. Look at her. It is her trailer launch & no one is talking to her, she is sulking in a corner." Mukti coaxed gently. Nandini nodded, but clearly this wasn't enough.

"Nandini, Mukti, we need to talk" Manik's sudden intense voice startled her as she broke the hug with Mukti to look at him. Mukti stared deep into his eyes, and that made Manik uncomfortable, even guilty. He knew who Abhimanyu's true killers were but he wasn't putting them behind the bars to save Nandini. Mukti had the right to hate him.

"You don't exist for me anymore, Manik Malhotra." Mukti whispered & walked away from him. Manik stared at her receding figure and felt like a monumental disappointment. His trance was broken when he saw Nandini walking away from him, silently.

"Nandini wait. What the hell was this? Why'd you have to demean yourself & make a hero out of me to announce the movie? Just for some PR? Did Dhruv make you do this? Is he bullying you?" Manik couldn't control his thoughts, the way Nandini trashed herself before the press was haunting him. How would he ever let the world see that she was none of that? Right then he didn't care if Nandini saw through his charade and caught a glimpse of his care & concern for her.

"Mr. Malhotra, tone down the expression, it's looking a little rough from afar, where the cameras are placed. Also, first let's swap places, my left profile is better" she said, turning their places, with a soft polite smile. Manik was flabbergasted & a painful memory of Aryamann & Alia's movie premiere night came to his mind. His Nandini wasn't ruined then, and he had done the same with her. Treated her as press prop.

"Nandini, why are you on a mission to self-destruct?" he hissed again.

"That's none of your concern, as long as you are the hero, which you are! I kept your image as is, so the public trusts me and believes my claim of my image too! Smart nah?" Nandini replied back. Manik lost his cool this time and pulled her closer by the shoulder, looking at her with urgency. "Nandini, stop ruining yourself." he snapped.

"Why, only you have the right to ruin me, hmm?" she asked with a smirk. Manik was stumped at her lack of emotions.

"How could you say such trash about losing our baby girl? Why did you have to say that you felt nothing?" Manik tried again; he knew he sounded desperate, he had tears in his eyes, but he didn't care. Any talks around his baby girl, ripped his heart apart every single time.

Nandini wore a curt smile. He was such a brilliant actor, she thought. He was playing hurt, remembering about the baby drama, before the press. He was living up to the lie that Nandini fed the press, but hearing him refer to her phantom baby as their baby girl had broken a few walls inside her. She was finding it difficult to act cool, composed & smiling. She wanted to hurl abuses at Manik for this charade, but of course, she had trained herself to control this urge.

"Nandini, say something" Manik was desperate as he pulled her closer and their noses were almost touching. For a third person, it was an intense scene of angst, the more the press saw it, the more they'd cover, the more public interest will be generated for the movie. Nandini understood the maths, but something in her, and she doubted it was her mother's instinct that was stopping her from playing on; the continuous reference to her phantom child was weakening her; she feared her cover would fall, so he had to act fast to get out of Manik's grip!

Hence, she gathered all the hate she had for Manik in her heart at the moment and slightly pushed him back. Manik moved back, losing his hold on her shoulder. Nandini smiled and acted like she was excusing herself from him politely, as she hissed, "Move back, Mr. Malhotra, because your breath stinks. It stinks like the rotten carcass of my dead baby girl"

As she walked away and quietly joined another group of well wishers from the industry, Manik stood there frozen. Rigid. Cold. Exposed. Raw. Burnt.

"Move back, Mr. Malhotra, because your breath stinks. It stinks like the rotten carcass of my dead baby girl"

In that instant he knew, no matter what, he was never going to forget these words. Never. Not as long as he lived.

"I'm sorry, Nandini.." he whispered to the wind.

Word Count: 6,144

A/N: Oh my God, out with the comments already! I feel your thoughts will be polarised on this one!

So about readers, why are you guys dropping? Don't you folks want a sassy Nandini who can play the game and win it too? :(

To be honest I was hoping for reaching 300 votes again, but that didn't happen either. :(

You readers hardly leave in-line comments, so I don't know what you're thinking while reading either :(

And what do I do? I give you a chapter that's double the length :/ I am crazy I know, but I believe in giving before requesting; by showing faith before asking for it. So I am giving you a long long chapter first before asking for more votes & participation :P

Now coming to my questions:

1. Nandini's makeover gives a hint to who she will be. What kind of vibes does it give you? What do you think she will be like?

2. Zubin rejoining Nandini. Do you trust him? Would you take him in? Anybody wants Mukti-Zubin reprise?

3. How do you think Nyonica will react to Nandini now?

4. Do you think Cabir has a clue of what's going on?

5. Innaya Nandini first spat. Do you think Nandini went overboard?

6. What do you think of Nandini's tell all press interaction? Did you guess what she was upto or were you confused like Manik initially?

7. How did you like the movie announcement, the perfect PR campaign & Nandini giving it back on Innaya's face?

8. How do you feel about Manik's reaction to Nandini through her interaction?

9. Your thoughts on Nandini's last jibe at Manik with the baby? How do you feel? Who do stand with, Manik or Nandini?

10. Anything in particular that you liked, disliked felt could improve in the plot/ chapter?

Readers, you must know, like you wait for Sunday mornings for this story, I wait for Sunday afternoons and evenings for your thought and sometimes it pricks to see that I put so much effort in bringing this story to life and still a large majority of you read it but don't acknowledge it :( I am talking about the silent readers here. Folks if you enjoy is every week, it takes one second to vote and a few more to leave a thought. Can I expect to hear from some of you too this this?

Anyway, I will come back with the next chapter on Sunday (7th May)

Until then,

Stay safe & stay good,

Your writer,

A

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro