Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

I open my eyes. I'm outside, hidden by the leaves that have pile up on top of me. How long have I been here? I touch my face, almost gasping at the thick stubble there. I look up. The tree is old, having been marked by many couples before the institutions. I blink, and look around me. I see the grassy field where Claire and I used to spend our afternoons. The church on Main Street. When I look up again, I see the crooked heart with two C's inside. Our tree. Our church. My head swims with the memories of us. Where is Claire now? Shrugging leaves off of my body, I right myself. I need to go to Claire's house, I thought. Upon my first step away from the tree, I fall to the ground. Getting up again, I start to walk more slowly. I know that I haven't taken the medications from the institution in a few days, but would that affect me that much? It takes me a few minutes, but I'm finally at Claire's doorstep. I knock. After a little bit, Claire's mom answers. She surprises me by pulling me into her house and into a hug. "Caspian," she says, tears already streaming down her cheeks. From the expression on her face, I can tell that Claire isn't here. "Caspian, she said she was going to look for you." I stepped away. "No. No. No." I couldn't stop myself from muttering like a lunatic this time. I turn around, facing the blank living room and not my girlfriends mother. I put my head in my hands, wavering for a second before I turn back around. "She left to look for me?" I ask. "Yes," she said, her worry lines deepening. "She left a note-- and a phone." I looked up, suddenly hopeful. "You mean that you can call her?" She nodded. "Can I count this as an emergency?" Without waiting for me to answer, she shuffled into the kitchen with me following her. The phone was small and silver, and meant to conserve battery life for decades at a time. There was only one number on it. Even in the future I recognized it. Alex. I shrug my hair off to the side, suddenly anxious. Alex had always had an eye for Claire. What would he do now that I was out of the picture. I stop thinking and press the button.  It rings several times, and then goes to voicemail. I recognize Claire's voice immediately, and my heart flutters. The tone blares. "Claire, it's me, Caspian. I escaped from the institution. I'm with your parents. Where are you? Please, please call me back." I shut the phone, and hand it to Claire's mom. "Caspian, I think you should stay with us for now. There's no telling what could happen to you out there. I nod, suddenly feeling my fatigue. "Can I lay down?" I ask, my eyelids feeling heavy. She is already guiding me, up the stairs, and through a few turns. Soon, I'm asleep.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro