15 | Kamharaim

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Xanthy craved butterbread.

A thousand crystals pointed at her from their place in the ceiling. Xanthy blinked and turned her head to the right to see the same crystals embedded into walls and growing from the ground like they're ajilte vines. Natural light ebbing from the crystals' bright centers mixed to turn the light in the cave an interesting shade of gray.

Her stomach rumbled. Ugh. She ate just a while ago! She sat up. Unless she was stuck in this cave for a week and the brownies have already passed on to Pidmena's realm.

Hurry. She had to.

Her boots slapped the rocks that carpeted the cavern's floor. Crystals from as small as her finger to a size three times her height flanked her way like they were heralding her somewhere. Where was she? The last thing she remembered was the voice telling them that the Pilgrim Path was a point of no return. Then, she woke up here.

What happened? She looked around expecting to find her friends behind her. She...was alone. Where were they?

Xanthy moved forward until such time she noticed she felt lighter. Her hands floated up to her chest where her bow was strung before they entered the cave. There was nothing. She glanced down at where her quiver was supposed to be. Nothing.

Bile rose to her throat. Where was her satchel? Queen's breeches. Nyxis would kill her if she didn't bring him back the vials. Xanthy stalked back to where she had woken up a few minutes before. She looked behind a cluster of huge crystals that glowed bright pink and blue.

Nope. Not behind. Where could her things be?

She bit at her nails as she thought. Reeca, she could handle as the varichria only ever cared about herself. But Nyxis...

Let her say that she didn't want to witness Nyxis going ballistic when someone messed with his brewing paraphernalia. Xanthy's stomach turned with the thought. Nyxis trusted her with that and now she lost it. Great. Nice friendship.

You're the first one who looked for her belongings upon coming here, a familiar voice said. It took Xanthy a minute before she could place it. It's the one that spoke to them in the cavern entrance. The Spirit of the Path...or something.

Others have moved on without bothering, the voice continued. Xanthy crossed her arms. Should she call the voice Bread? How about Butter? She shook her head. Gods, she's hungry.

"I'm looking for them because they aren't mine," Xanthy craned her neck up to the ceiling as if the voice was there. Butter, it was. "I may break a trust or two if I don't get them back."

If Butter could smile, it probably did. A noble soul. It's become rare in this part of the world. Your friends ought to learn something from you.

Xanthy gulped at the mention of her friends. Her throat hurt. When was the last time she drank something, anyway? "Where are they?"

They're in their tests, Butter answered. You should focus on yours.

Xanthy splayed a palm at the air while keeping her other arm circled around her waist. "Okay, what's the test?"

Draw water from Kamharaim. It should be easy since you are so hardened in grueling circumstances.

Xanthy knitted her eyebrows and narrowed her eyes at that statement. Should she feel touched? She scrunched up her nose. It didn't sound like a compliment though. It's more like an implied threat.

She coughed into her fist. "Okay, how do I get there?" She shifted her weight to one foot.

Butter chuckled. You won't get there if you keep looking back, for certain. Kamharaim's waters await you at the end of this cavern. Learn from this test. Fail and it will not end well for you.

Xanthy shivered as if a cold breeze blew through her. Everything was still inside the cavern, though. Butter's silence grew around her like a cloveris snapping its leafy jaws. She blinked. Whoa, she actually learned something from Nyxis's monologues!

Yeah. Whatever. Start walking. Kamharaim, here she goes!

She had walked a long time after that. Pinks, blues, and purples blurred in her periphery as she swore time and again that she was just walking in a circle and the cave was playing tricks on her like that chinspice tree in Flaron.

A sweet smell resembling a flower whose name she could place wafted in the air and filled her nose. Xanthy sighed and walked until her shins felt like there were pikes driven through them. Her ankles throbbed as she plopped down and leaned her back against a large, blue crystal.

Xanthy shrugged. It might not be brown but it provided ample space to rest her back. It's good.

Up close, Xanthy squinted at the crystals' surface. They reminded her of a lamp but instead of a golden flame inside, blue light shone from the crystals' center. A sigh flew out of her lips as she crossed her legs from the crystal's base. Her fingers reached up and twisted a lock of hair around them the moment she rested her head against the crystal. Despite the light burning from the crystal's core, it wasn't hot against Xanthy's skin. It wasn't cold either. It's just there.

She closed her eyes, listening for any sound that resembled running water. She's looking for a waterfall, after all.

Xanthy? Ravalee's voice jolted her. Xanthy's eyes flew open to regard the cavern once more. Nothing was out of the ordinary. Everything was still the same.

Ravalee? Xanthy thought back to her half. Where are you? What's happening?

It's..strange here as well, Ravalee replied. Hesitation was thick in her tone. I don't exactly know where I am either. Do you?

No. Xanthy shook her head with a sigh as if Ravalee could see her action. What do you think's going to happen?

Ravalee was quiet for a second before saying, The Spirit of the Path told me that I wasn't fit to take the tests because I'm part of your soul. Now, I'm waiting for you on the shores of Hebdoraim, the final waterfall before the Temple. I gathered water from Savaraim and Folanraim earlier. The strange thing is that I still don't know where Hebdoraim is or where it was located in this vast network. I'm working on it.

A series of images flashed across Xanthy's head like she was viewing Ravalee's memories. Xanthy saw different caverns with one having gold dripping from its walls, one with insects as large as dagrine prowling the area, and another with the walls carved into elaborate columns and faces of different gods and goddesses.

As the slideshow faded from Xanthy's mind, she swore she could still taste the flowery air in one of the caves. Her skin prickled as if she had just been through the cave with huge insects and felt the wind blowing through it.

A brownie could do that to the mind? Freaky.

Finally, an image of a waterfall stayed projected in her head. Her jaw dropped even though there was nothing happening in her physical surroundings. In her mind, a waterfall with huge terraces guided a cascade of multicolored water down into a glass-like basin.

This is Hebdoraim. Or what is commonly called the Fall of Beauty, Ravalee's voice droned in a monotone in Xanthy's head like she was giving an oral defense for the Council. Uh...did Xanthy just walk herself into an impromptu lecture?

Ravalee plowed on.It is said to be carved by the gods themselves. According to some legends, the water that changes color is actually from the tears of Kaurfia, the goddess of beauty, who shed them after she watched her husband Varkus, the god of knowledge, get torn to pieces by Zesleze. It's a classic tale of love and revenge and from them we get the phrase 'while Zesleze is away' which means doing what we can before it's too late.

Is there a reason you're telling me this? Xanthy scratched her head as she stood up and continued walking again. I've got a test to complete.

I get a little lonely.

Xanthy snorted. Ravalee chuckled. Kidding aside, her half said after a while. I have something to talk about with you.

A drop of dread swirled in Xanthy's gut. That couldn't be good. What is it?

I know you'll hate me for this, Ravalee answered. But I viewed your memories and saw everything. I know how you feel about me.

Oh. Xanthy's stomach churned. She felt her fists clench at her sides as anger bubbled in her throat. Was it from the shame that her irrational thoughts brought or from the fact that Ravalee invaded Xanthy's privacy yet again? Xanthy didn't know

When did you do it? Xanthy's tone came out flat. Now was not the time to understand Ravalee's intentions.

A sigh blew artificial wind in Xanthy's head. While we were on the way to Carleon. Ravalee said. You were talking with Reeca and I chanced it so you wouldn't notice.

Xanthy didn't speak. She just kept walking. FInd Kamharaim. The faster, the better.

Xanthy, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to look. Ravalee tried again after a few minutes of silence. If Xanthy could just plug her half's voice out of her head, she'd do it. It's just that you've been giving me a strange look ever since we arrived in the Palace. Do you hate me?

Xanthy paused. Did she hate Ravalee?

A heavy breath eased off Xanthy's chest. It's a tougher question than deciding whether to have butterbread or beeo for breakfast. Still, she frowned, shook her head, and resumed walking. I think you know the answer to that since you already meddled in my head.

I'd rather hear it from you. Ravalee didn't even bother to mask the hurt in her voice. What did that have to do with the current conversation? Nothing. Do you hate me?

Xanthy pursed her lips. Confrontations like this weren't her specialty. I don't hate you, she snapped before rubbing her face with both of her hands. Ugh. Why did she have to deal with this? I just find it unfair that you have what you have and I didn't.

She spread her arms at the ceiling as her legs carried her forward once more. All my life I wanted to have this feeling of security, this peace of never having to worry about where to get my next meal. She hated how bitter her tone became. You have it easy. You probably never experienced begging for food. Your life was perfect. Mine wasn't.

Ravalee was perfect and Xanthy wasn't.

Xanthy crossed her arms. The crystals seemed to be mocking her with their playful lights. Not today, you stupid hags. So I'm not trying to hide it. I'm envious of the life you have led. I wanted to experience it too, but it seems like fate doesn't want me to.

A mirthless chuckle rose from Xanthy as her thoughts raged. Then comes the issue of the Virtakios. You aren't hunted for something that's inside you. I was and I am until now.

Xanthy waved her arms in the air as if Ravalee could see it. You don't know how to run for your life but I do, at a very young age might I add. You haven't seen the carnage of battle but I did. You are technically part of the Royal family now. I'm not.

You're a Brownie by heart, mind, and soul. I'm not. Xanthy pursed her lips, remembering how the nobles looked at her and whispered among themselves about her. I don't even know what I am.

Ravalee didn't speak for a long time when Xanthy guessed her half had terminated the connection. Then, like a quiet breeze, her half replied. I'll disappear. If you want my life, take it. Live the life meant for you. I know that what I have doesn't belong to me.

Xanthy shook her head in protest as her half plowed on. We're going to the Temple of Souls and we could ask the High Priestess to help us. I've decided, Xanthy. You can have it back. What do you say?

Xanthy cursed aloud. They'd eventually end up in this conversation. True, she wanted her synnavaim back—now that she was older perhaps she could support two?—but what about the life Ravalee had led?

Ravalee had led a different life than Xanthy, had influenced a different set of people, and had dreamed a different dream. Xanthy couldn't uproot that just because she wanted a piece of her soul back. She wasn't even sure if that piece was still hers or if she had a proper claim on it.

Would she really want to be selfish? What would happen to Airene? To Cyrdel?

June and Nyxis's sentiments slammed back into her mind. If you ever decide to take your soul back, then who do you think he'll like?

Xanthy clawed at her hair. This has become complicated.

I'll give you time to think about it, Ravalee said when Xanthy failed to reply for a long time than Xanthy had intended. You have until we earn the High Priestess's audience.

Like a mechanism shutting off, Ravalee's voice faded in her head. Xanthy blinked at the flickering light that started to blind her. Her heart felt like it grew three times its size and four times its weight.

Inner turmoil is good for the soul, Butter said after a while. It makes you reevaluate your values.

"What is this, a commentary?" Xanthy snapped, rolling her eyes. "Mind your own business, Butter."

Sorry?

"Nothing," Xanthy crossed her arms. "Just shut up."

Butter did so.

She shouldn't have said that. Now, she's alone with her thoughts. Bad idea. Still, a decision has to be made. Despite the apparent violation of her privacy and the act of making her repeat everything as if Ravalee didn't already know it after being in her head, Xanthy knew she had to do what's good for everyone in this situation.

She couldn't be selfish. She shouldn't be selfish. Even though she might end up sacrificing everything.

Xanthy kicked a blue crystal as big as her palm. She watched it sail and rebound against the wall to her left to later bounce back to the floor a few paces away.

She shouldn't make this decision alone despite what Ravalee implied to her. Who knows whose lives will be affected if she urged her soul's completion? She needed to ask her friends, especially Cyrdel. The Alkaran prince wouldn't let Ravalee go that easily.

Magic-wise, what's going to happen to Xanthy's soul? Would her memories cease to exist? Once her soul merged into one, whose legacy, whose shadow, and whose trail would prevail?

Would Xanthy use this as an opportunity to be rid of the Virtakios?

Maybe.

Xanthy mussed her hair and clenched her jaw to contain the squeal of frustration from turning into a full-blown shriek. Her voice bounced against the walls before fading in concurrent echoes as it travelled beyond Xanthy.

What did she want to do with her life anyway? She didn't want to be cooped up in a Palace just like Ravalee. She just liked the idea of not having to run for her life anymore.

Whenever Xanthy imagined herself living in that grand mansion, all she could think of was that it wasn't her life. Ravalee's life wasn't Xanthy's. She had no right despite what Ravalee told her.

Her head flared with pain as a purple crystal no bigger than her palm struck it. She rubbed the sore spot and craned her neck at the ceiling. What's going on? Where did that come from?

Her eyes were focused on the purple crystal as it rolled to a stop a few distance off Xanthy's boots. Then, she saw a shadow spreading from her feet. What...? It grew wider and wider until it resembled the linear cut of the crystals.

Xanthy yelped as she scrambled out of the way. A pink crystal almost as tall as Xanthy slammed into the floor and with a resounding clap, shattered into thousands of tiny fractals. That's when the flames started.

Turns out, the crystals were fancy lamps in their essence. Xanthy stepped back as pink flames leaped from where the crystal shattered and burned like a campfire. She knitted her eyebrows. Perhaps it was not real fire?

Xanthy stalked closer and swept her hand through it. A shot of pain sped through her arm. She yelped, cradling her throbbing palm to her chest. Okay, that hurt. Note to self: never do that again.

Another crystal slammed into the ground to Xanthy's left. Blue fire spilled like water from the crystal's shards. Xanthy gritted her teeth and turned her attention forward. Seemed like she had to make a run for it. To where?

Xanthy jumped when another crystal dropped from the ceiling and shattered. More multicolored flames leaped out at her. Anywhere, then. She'd be burned alive if she stayed here.

Go.

Xanthy dashed forward. Cracking sounds bled from the walls and filled her ears. Thank the gods for inventing shadows. That way Xanthy can swerve in time before being turned into a crystal roast. Her boots clacked against the floor in rapid successions; her breath came in shallow heaves. Where was that cursed waterfall? Was there an end to this literally infernal cavern?

Suddenly, her foot missed a step...or that's how it felt like. The moment she planted her foot on a certain spot on the floor, it just wasn't there. A shrill shriek tore off her mouth as she tumbled forward. Her chest smacked on the rocky floor, knocking the wind out of her.

She gasped as her senses took a little too long to recover. Another crystal slammed near her foot. She rolled in time before the flames licked her soles. She pushed herself up despite the budding pain in her chest. Run.

To be fair, the flames were a beautiful sight. Sucked that Xanthy would die if she stayed with them. She looked at her feet with a frown. How did she stumble in the first place? The floor was flat and stable with no exposed root or anything that might trip her. How come she missed a step?

Her question was answered when the ground lashed like a whip before her eyes. The ground...?

She went weightless for a second and almost had her arm impaled by a speeding crystal. The flight ended when she crashed on the floor. Flames licked her clothes and she swatted at them, getting burns on her hand in the process. She gritted her teeth at the pain it brought to her skin. Don't look at it. Just...don't.

An almost mechanical groaning assaulted her ears. The cavern's floor narrowed. The walls...

They're closing in on her. Queen's breeches. That wasn't good.

She eyed the protruding crystals from the ceiling. Bile made the back of her throat explode with a bitter taste. If the walls continued moving in, one of those crystals would surely impale her.

The ground groaned again. The cavern shook. Xanthy screamed as crystals dropped like eggs from a vulkraine's nest, shattering and scattering flames. She swore the fire was after her as she tore through the narrowing path and still heard the crackle of flames.

The walls creaked; the ground quaked. Glass exploded. Flames raged. If there were any god out there, a way out would be nice. Get her out of here!

Waterfall. Survive until the waterfall. She couldn't let her friends down like this. Xanthy's trousers caught flames. Her skin stung. With a cry, she slammed her leg against the wall. The flames died out with a snuff, leaving a hole in her trousers and the skin in her leg an angry red.

She extended her hand and summoned her magic. Panic squeezed through her temples. She couldn't feel the warmth. Her throat scratched dry when she gulped. She didn't like it but perhaps, the Virtakios can help.

She squeezed her eyes close. Slowly, she reached to her core. The Virtakios flared inside her as if saying, what took you so long?

She gritted her teeth. Oh, she hated this part. She tapped into the Virtakios's power lightly. Sometimes, she succeeds in harnessing a small part of it but most of the time, the intensity crawls up to her head and the darkness consumes her. That's where she loses control and the Virtakios ends up destroying everything.

Relief flooded her veins when the Virtakios answered her, albeit weaker than normal. She opened her eyes. It was inferno all around. The scene reminded her of the time she watched her house burn down. She sighed. At least, June was with her back then.

She shook her head. Focus. Using a small part of the Virtakios, she swept her hand in a clean arc and the flames died out in an instant.

Xanthy hefted her hands up, summoning a shield as a crystal crashed into her. The flames licked her shield, hissing to a snuff as they died. She fought off a smile. She might have brought herself a chance after all.

Using her Virtakios shield, she ran with renewed might. Crystals shattered against it and flames danced on its surface, but Xanthy was safe. For now.

She had to find that waterfall.

What are you doing? Butter demanded from somewhere above her. Xanthy ducked and swerved right as another crystal shattered just by her foot. Where is this magic coming from?

"Hello to you too," Xanthy said as she rolled her eyes. Two more crystals burst. "A little help here?"

It is not my job to intervene, Butter said. Annoyance was evident in its tone. How are you summoning Living magic in the Path?

"I don't know!" Xanthy threw up her arms to summon another shield when her hold on the previous one lapsed. The crystals were going haywire now. The flames were getting brighter and hotter.

Xanthy blinked. Wait, summoning magic was forbidden here?

Airene's words flashed back to her, saying that she could do forbidden magic and that she shouldn't discover them one by one. A grin crept up at the corner of her lips. Well, she just found one.

"Hey, Butter!" Xanthy called from the chaos as she swatted a fat crystal out of the way with the Virtakios. It exploded in the air with its flames joining the others in screaming for Xanthy. "Where's this waterfall?"

Find it on your own, Butter snapped. I offer no guidance to people who think they still have something.

Xanthy snorted as she extinguished the flames again with a swipe of her hand. "Bitter much? Look, I don't know how I'm doing it either."

Just watch, pilgrim, Butter vowed. Soon you'll be left with nothing and you won't know how to rise up. For now, let's see if you can find Kamharaim with your magic.

"What?" Xanthy asked.

The ground erupted in a huge wave, throwing Xanthy against the wall now just an armbreadth from its counterpart. Her hold on the Virtakios vanished.

Xanthy craned her neck at the ceiling. Gods, was this Butter's doing? It sounded angry.

Xanthy lurched left as another crystal broke into a thousand pieces, flames immediately flowing through. The walls groaned as they shifted closer. The ceiling with its abundance of volatile crystals was almost at her head.

She couldn't stay here. She had to find a way out.

Let's see if you can find Kamharaim with your magic. Butter's words echoed in Xanthy's head. She couldn't even find an exit. How was she going to find the waterfall?

Well, she couldn't.

Debris rained on her. Xanthy spied an opening not far from her. Was she dreaming? She blinked a couple of times and a small hole the size of her fist crept into view. Okay. That's an opening that led somewhere. Take it.

But should she? What if it opened to a more dangerous cave? What if it was just a dud and Xanthy ended up getting her hands stuck in it? What then?

Her mind screamed at her to move. Her doubts told her it's not worth it.

It all boils down to having to decide her fate. Should she wait for her friends to make this decision for her? No. As far as she's concerned, she's saving her own rear end. She's taking that way out.

Even if it told her nothing of what awaited her on the other side.

She charged into the opening, a scream heavy in her throat. She crashed into the hole and darkness swallowed her.

Her eyes snapped open. She was lying on her back on a bed of soil. The crystals were back in the ceiling. What...

Grass with pink blades tickled her nose. She sat up. The roar of water was the first thing she noticed. Slowly, she turned to a basin filled with green water. A torrent slammed into the basin from a never-ending source somewhere beyond Xanthy.

A smell of freshly cut grass mixed with a salty tang filled her nose the moment she breathed in.

You did well, Pilgrim, Butter sounded pissed. Your soul is declared pure because you are able to trust yourself. Draw water from Kamharaim and you'll receive further instructions.

Xanthy lifted her hand and gasped when an unadorned, golden chalice appeared on her palm. With a sigh, Xanthy dipped the chalice on the water. She has had enough of the flames for now. She inclined her head at the basin reflecting her face back at her. Was she allowed to drink this water?

Xanthy chuckled to herself as she withdrew her hand and the chalice from the water. She peered down at the dark green liquid sloshing by the chalice's rim. Before she could even raise the cup to her lips, something pulled her away.

The world faded around her. Her stomach churned. Then, she slammed into a surface, making her gasp. Her eyes flew open but she saw nothing.

"She's awake," a garbled voice said. More voices rattled their blurred agreement.

Xanthy forced her neck to move, to see where those voices were coming from, but her bones wouldn't budge.

This new voice seemed to be smiling as it said close to Xanthy's ear, "Welcome to the Temple of Souls."

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro