21: Broken

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

"Hazel! We're leaving!" I hear one of the two girls who are on the relay swim team call out to me.

I stop swimming and bob my head above the water as I call back, "Today was a really good practice. Practice tomorrow after school too."

"Okay." They wave goodbye and I return to swimming to finish my lap.

When I get to the side where I started from, I pull myself onto the edge of the swimming pool and wipe my hands on my towel before checking my phone. There's a message waiting from mom telling me that she and dad are coming home for an early dinner so I should them in two hours.

I decide to swim a few more laps before calling it a day. Finally when I start to feel my arms begin to ache I get out of the pool and head for the women's lockers. I pull out the second backpack I brought from home with me and carry it to the showers.

I shampoo my hair and then change into a clean, dry pair of jeans and a Rushmore Academy t-shirt. I wring out my hair and run a brush through it to take out all the tangles. Then I pack my wet swim suit and toiletries before heading back to the locker room. It's nearly 4:30 p.m. by now so the school's quite except for the sound of water of the swimming pool.

I call the driver who is to pick me up and find out that he's running late so he'll be in the school parking in another fifteen minutes. Instead of using the pool exit, I decide to walk through to the gymnasium and into the school building to fetch a file that I left in my school locker.

I step out of the women's locker room when a figure leaning against the wall makes me jump.

"Adam." I sigh when I realize it's him, "Hey. I didn't see you in school today."

Without an answer he moves swiftly and has me pressed against the wall. He starts to kiss my neck and I push him away but he doesn't budge. He only presses me harder.

"Adam what are you doing?" I ask through gritted teeth still trying to push him away.

He slips a hand under my shirt and I gasp at the unwanted touch.

"Help! Someone help!" I scream but I know that there's no one to hear me. "Adam please stop!"

I'm screaming and crying now as I realize that he has no intentions of stopping. He shoves me onto the floor and I barely manage to keep my head from hitting the marble floor.

"Did you really think that a woman can refuse a man and get away with it? Huh?!" He screams the last part making me cower as he bends down in front of me and tries to pry my hands away from my shirt.

"Please stop!" I clench my eyes shut.

Suddenly Adam's no longer touching me and I'm too scared to open my eyes until I hear a voice that makes me start crying again but this time in relief.

"Come on, Hazel." Ben says as he takes my hand and helps me up.

I open my eyes and stand up on shaky legs, leaning onto Ben for support. Adam is getting up from the floor with blood flowing out of his nose and a bruise on his forehead. Ben must have hit him in the process of pulling him away from me.

Ben grabs my backpacks off the floor for me and hurries me out of the pool before Adam recovers.

"My driver is on his way." I say as Ben unlocks his car.

"I need to get you out of here, now." He says and I gratefully accept his offer of taking me home.

Ben calls my mom for me and asks her to call back the driver since he's dropping me off but thankfully he doesn't say anything else.

Just before we get home, he stops the car at the side of the road and turns to me.

"Hazel, if he did anything tell me now and I swear he won't live another day." Ben growls.

I shake my head, still spooked from the events, "You got there before he could." Rape me. My mind adds the last two words on its own.

"You have to tell your parents, Hazel." Ben says.

"I can't." I whisper as tears start to spill down my cheeks again.

"What could possibly be more important to them than you?" Ben throws up his hands.

"If I tell them dad will fire his father and I know how badly dad needs a stable board of directors." I hiccup through my tears.

Ben sighs and wraps an arm around my shoulders, "Your father would never choose work over your well-being."

I pull away from his arms and wipe my tears, "That's exactly why I can't tell him. And neither are you going to."

Ben falls silent and continues driving to my house. When he stops the car, he volunteers to distract my parents while I run upstairs and change out of my torn t-shirt and wash my tear stained face.

Ben walks in ahead of me and saunters into the living room greeting my family while I run past the doorway to the stairs and hurry to my room. I close and lock the door behind me before quickly pulling out a new t-shirt and swapping it with the one I have on right now.

After splashing water on my face, I reapply some make up to cover my red cheeks. When I head downstairs everyone is still in the living room. Dad is the first one I see. His face is grave and angry. He's holding mom against his chest as Sebastian stands next to Ben, both their arms crossed.

"Were you going to tell us?" Mom asks pulling away from dad's arms and I see that she's crying.

"You told them?!" I confront Ben and he just looks down at his feet.

I shake my head in disbelief.

"Don't blame him. He did the right thing telling us." Mom speaks up before I can yell at Ben. I'm furious at him.

Dad's phone rings and he answers it, "Have Bryant meet me that the office immediately."

"Dad, no." I shake my head starting to cry again. "Please, don't."

"Hazel, this is between me and him." Dad stands up from next to mom and firmly tells me.

"It is because of me!" I scream, frustrated with everyone. "Please don't ruin your business because of me. I know you need good directors. Dad, I'll get over this. Please don't ruin it because of me!" I'm pleading by the end.

~Emma's Perspective~

I never thought that I'd have to watch my daughter plead with Daniel. I never thought Daniel would have to choose between family and work. I never thought my daughter would get assaulted and that she'd try to keep it from us to try and protect her father's business.

I watch as Daniel pulls Hazel into a hug and kisses her head. I've been crying ever since Ben told us but watching her now, so shaken and hurt just breaks my heart.

What has that boy done to my Bunny?

I stand up as Daniel pulls himself away from Hazel and kisses her head again before leaving the room. Hazel turns to me, "Please don't let dad do this. It'll be fine."

I take her by the arm and gently make her sit down with me on the sofa. I put my arms around her as she sobs into my shoulder.

~Ben's Perspective~

I watch the scene unfold with a heavy heart. I wish I didn't have to tell her parents but I would've been leaving Hazel in danger if I hadn't. She wouldn't have done anything to protect herself from Adam and who knows what that idiot would do to her.

When Mr. Aaron leaves and I see that Hazel is safe with her mom, I turn to Sebastian, "I'm going to head out. Once Hazel has calmed down, ask her to call me."

"Sure." Seb nods and follows me to the front door.

Just before I get into my car, Seb calls out my name making me halt and look towards him.

"Thank you for being there for her." He says and while he looks shaken too I can tell that he's trying to stay strong for his parents and sister.

"It was my duty." I give Sebastian a small smile before getting into the car.

~Hazel's Perspective~

I don't how much time passes before my tears dry up and I stop crying. I sit on the living room sofa with mom's arms wrapped around me. When I'm sure that I've gained control over myself, I sit up next to mom.

She runs a hand over my hair, straightening it for me. I feel like crying again just at the feel of her protective hand.

"What will dad do?" I ask mom.

She shakes her head, "Don't worry about that. Even if he does get rid of Bryant, there are so many eager professionals all over the world willing to fill up this position. Nothing matters more right now than your own safety."

"He was so harsh." I whisper to no one in particular.

"Did you he hurt you?" Mom asks.

"He tried to but my arm just hurts from when he pushed me. Ben stopped him before..." I trail off but mom take my hand in hers and rubs my shoulder.

"It is okay, Bunny. He will be dealt with. I promise." She kisses my forehead and then asks if I want anything to eat.

I shake my head but she starts to get up anyway so I hold onto her hand, "Please don't leave me alone."

"I'll sit with you." I remember that Seb was in the room too as he comes to sit with me while mom leaves the room.

"Where's Ben?" I ask him.

"He left but he said you can call him." Seb tells me and I just nod. I'm too angry at Ben to think straight so I decide to put off calling him.

After a few minutes mom comes back with tea and a slice of chocolate cake. I take a few sips of the tea but for the first time in my life I'm so broken that I feel even cake can't fix me.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro