43: Swim Meet

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

This year's '18 and Under National' finals are being held at University of Texas, Austin's pool. The school is flying out my coach, Mr. Elliot but no students were sponsored so mom and dad stepped in and offered to fly my close friends to cheer me on, since this is my last swim meet while I'm in school.

Relay races are only held till State levels and Rushmore's team won Silver medals which makes me want to win this race even more. Sebastian has to stay back because he has school but mom and dad are flying out with me.

Mom is already inside the plane, making some last minute calls before we take off while dad and I wait on the runway for everyone to arrive.

When Liam's driver stops the car a few feet away from us and they clamber out, my mouth hangs open as I push my sunglasses into my hair to take a better look at their shirts.

They're all wearing, "Team Hazel" t-shirts.

"No way." I laugh as Ash hugs me first, followed by Angelina, Liam and last of all Ben. "You guys are so extra."

"Since this is your last school swim meet, we thought we'll do it in style and yes, we're wearing these to the actual venue too." Liam holds up his hands.

"We have to take a picture!" I squeal, clapping my hands and Dad volunteers to take it as my friends crowd around me.

Twenty minutes later, we're in the air. Mom and dad take up seats near the front and we all fill up those in the back. We are having so much fun that the three hour flight passes quickly and we're forced to stop talking when we land in Austin as we collect our luggage and then head out of the airport.

Dad rented out two cars, one for him and mom and the other for the five of us. I instantly claim the driver's seat and Angelina calls shotgun. Liam gets the middle seat and Ben and Ash get in on either side of him as I adjust my seat and buckle in my seat belt.

I follow dad through the city till we reach our hotel. Once we're all settled in, Angelina and I in one room, the boys in another across the hall, I knock on mom's door and let her know that we're heading out for lunch. She tells me to be careful and it's justified because I did get abducted on our last trip out of Pasadena.

This time, Ben drives, Liam gets to sit up front and the rest of us take the backseats.

"Where to?" Ben asks as he drives out of the hotel's parking.

"I really want to say McDonald's but anyone else who's up for trying something more local?" Ash asks and we all agree.

"Let's drive out to the city limits and eat at some diner." I suggest.

"You have my vote." Liam raises his hand and everyone else gives their approval.

It takes us a good forty minutes drive before we leave the dense areas of the city and come across a suburban diner with just one car in the parking. Ben parks the car and we all head inside.

We order a mix of tacos and BBQ ribs for everyone to share and when we leave the diner, nearly an hour later, we're stuffed. I even downed two Cokes with my food, just like everyone else.

The next day brings with it a flurry of activity and nervousness as I get ready for the swim meet. The other four, true to their word are dressed in the "Team Hazel" t-shirts when I meet them at the hotel restaurant for breakfast.

Upon insistence from mom I down a cup of tea and two sausages from the breakfast buffet. I'm finishing my tea when mom says, "Do you remember Hazel in Paris?"

Dad laughs softly and nods his head.

"What?" I ask, looking between them.

"The first time you visited Paris, you ate nearly seven really big sausages for breakfast, the first morning. And you were only three years old." She tells me.

"Seven?!" I exclaim. "When was I so fond of sausages?"

"We never could figure it out either." Dad smiles.

"Cake on the other hand." Ben says and everyone instantly breaks into 'I knows' and 'she's obsessed.'

On our way to the university, I decide to ride with my parents while the four take the other car. My heart is hammering with anxiety and nervousness as we draw closer to campus. I just have my toiletries with me since we'll be provided our suits by the event management.

Once the car is parked and we've all stepped out, an usher asks for my name.

"Okay, your family and friends need to head to the spectators entrance to be seated and you need to go to the locker room entrance where you will find your coach waiting for you." He points us in the right directions.

Before we part ways, mom pulls me into a quick hug, followed by dad and the others shout a chorus of 'good luck's after me as I walk away from them.

I find Coach Elliot waiting for me at the entrance to the locker rooms. He hands me my number that I'll paste on my suit and my contestant pass to get me inside. He tells me that he'll wait for me at the pool entrance as I nod and head towards the usher inside to get further instructions.

"Hi." The girl in a UT Austin shirt says.

"Hi." I reply.

She necks my pass and explains, "Your uniform is in stall 5."

Next chapter is up too! :)

-T

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro