Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

When Spencer wakes up, I'm in the bathroom. The one time my body bests me is the same time his body climbs out of the hole from the anthrax attack.

He's still pale, eyes barely open, His stubble has grown out even more, and there is a breathing tube in his nose helping him get oxygen. Spencer smiles when his eyes find me as I enter the room.

"I'll give Hotch a call, let him know you're awake. Okay, kid?" he pats Spencer's hand and steps past me out of the room.

Now that he's awake, I hate the hospital a little less. I spent the better part of the last few hours with my knee jittering. I haven't been in a hospital without him for a long time, other than the few hours I was watching Bastien with Morgan next to me. More than ever, I felt like my tongue was stapled to the roof of my mouth.

I'm done with hiding things.

"How are you?" Spencer asks. "I know you hate hospitals."

One hand behind me, I grab a chair and drag it closer. I sit down beside him, body rigid straight and I take one of his hands in both of mine.

"You're such an ass," I shake my head. "I'm fine. You're the one who's lucky to be alive."

I squeeze Spencer's hands. I feel him squeeze back, faint and muffled like there are layers and layers of blankets between us. His skin is cold, for the first time that I can remember, but every moment with him feels like it's the first time in my life I've felt this way.

"I feel okay," he tries to push himself up with his one hand but stops short. He leans back against the pillows. "Okay, I regretfully feel awful. Well, regretfully isn't the right word. Unfortunately, I feel awful, but I don't necessarily regret staying there. I hear I prevented another attack."

"Single-handedly, I imagine."

The corners of his lips twitch upward.

"Seriously, no more getting injured in the line of duty," I instruct, pulling his hand in closer to me. "I just... no more."

"Well, I will try my best to avoid getting exposed to anthrax again," Spencer nods. Then, he flinches, "please tell me they aren't giving me anything for the pain."

I look out the doorway. Morgan's back is to us still, on the phone talking away. None of the doctor's are visible.

"Yeah, I told them you had a history, and well, they thought it was best," a tear rolls down my cheek. Spencer reaches around to wipe it away. He cups my cheek for a second. "Sorry, I'm usually better at being someone else's medical proxy. I got a lot of experience this year."

He chuckles softly.

"You're doing a good job," he offers, and then smiles.

He pulls both his hands away, his gaze out the doors. I turn to look, and Morgan is pocketing his phone. I take back Spencer's hand, holding it in mine.

Morgan turns and walks away.

"You... you told him."

I turn back to face Spencer, who's eyes are round and glassy. He squeezes my hand, firmer this time.

So, I nod, mouth spread in a wide smile, "I did. He was a bit confused though, since I'm not nearly twice your age nor a divorcée."

Spencer doesn't laugh along with me. His jaw is agape, as wide as his eyes, and he begins to stutter, "you, you- I can't believe that you... Morgan knows?"

I just keep nodding. My jaw hurts from the force of the grin. I'm all teeth, all lips, all of joy in the entire world.

"We can tell Hotch next," I explain. "If you can wait until I'm off suspension. After that, we can share it with the rest of the team."

Spencer launches himself on me, arms wide and clutching me. I grab him back, holding him upright properly. He pulls back and kisses me. His breathing tube presses against my face, and his skin is slick with sweat, but his lips are warm.

"Well then," Morgan speaks and we break apart. "I leave you two love birds alone for two seconds. There's no need to christen the hospital bed."

"Bite me," I roll my eyes.

Spencer doesn't stop smiling.

~~~~~

Very short, but it's over! Ahh! One final book, or whatever, which isn't done yet but I shall live. Anyway, let me know what you think in the comments. Especially I would appreciate things you'd like to see in the third and final book! I'm really and truly excited about it.

Oh, and before I forget, check out Condemned on my profile now!

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro