3 moment short story

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Today was my aunt’s funeral. Her sudden death shocked everyone, including this 17 years old girl the most, and that 17 year was me. Slowly I took a long deep breath and began making my way toward the church. The church stood out in the small town as a monument that today is a day for grief; the sky was gray and cloudy, no sign of joy or happiness like God sucked the joy out of the entire world. As soon as I placed my shaky hands on the wooden door, gently gave it a push I saw a room crowd with people I knew and complete strangers who knew my great aunt in another life. I politely made it through the sea of people I made it to the other end of the room; there was so many people that I felt like I couldn’t breath, felt claustrophobic, but I finally found an empty spot of the room, but as I careless turned my head to my surprise and utter horror I saw my great aunt laying in her coffin. My DEAD great aunt peacefully laying in a wooden bow ready to be buried beneath the earth never to be opened again, never to see that face again only in our memories. My eyes began to swell up as I saw the once living, breathing aunt I grew-up with as a child. Because of her cancer she was bold the last time I visited her, so they put on a nice wig that looked real to anyone, but not me. Her skin looked like an icy cold pale, and pounds over pounds of makeup covering her lovely face. But to me it didn’t look like her; she was al skin and bones. Almost like a skeleton wearing my aunt’s skin. I couldn’t look anymore so I turned a pale face to her, and walked quietly and quickly to the girl’s bathroom before anyone saw my teary eyes. I slammed the door, leaned my back against the stale, and slide down to the cold tile floor and broke out into tears.

Everyone began to pile in the auditorium. Gracefully I took a spot next to my two favorite second cousins Jacob and Ethan. They were strangely quiet than usual, but I knew why. “Poor guys,” I quietly thought in my head. “I beat they miss their grandma terrible.” I brought out my hand over to Jacob’s sloped shoulders. He turned his face that read sorrow, grief, and agony; I tried to put on a smile for him on my face. “At least he should see ONE smile around here.” I thought to myself. Jacob forced on a smile back. “It’s going to be okay, Jacob,” I said. “You’ll see.” But before he could open his mouth the pastor stood in front of the audience. His head was bald and shiny so it looked like a sweaty bowling ball; the pastor cleared his throat and began the service. In a small corner a ban began to play “Amazing Grace”,”Let it be known”, and “God’s Not Dead”. I didn’t know all the lyrics to them, and I was a TERRIBLE singer. “This is why I quit choir 3 years ago.” I told myself. After the songs the pastor called out people to say a few words about my great aunt and what a happy, wonderful life she had. First a young boy who was ruffle my age who made a few jokes that made everyone laughed, everyone except Jacob and Ethan. Their heads were fixed on the floor while trying so hard not to let out a single tear. Secondly my mom’s other cousins, and lastly my great aunt’s brother Uncle Armin. He stood up and began his speech on how lucky he was to have a sister like her, how much of s awesome servant she was to everyone, the amazing food she would cook everyone will miss, but the last thing he said that shattered my heart into millions or billions of pieces. “And lastly I want to say to my loving sister.” He paused for a moment, and just broke out into tears, but he built up the nerve and said it. “Good-bye sister.” Without me ever noticing that my cheeks were coated with my tears.

The sky was still covered with clouds like the sun wants to hide too from the all the pain and suffering. The cemetery was in a quiet place with no cars, no buildings, nothing but grassy hills, trees with their leaves dancing in the winds, a small white church that had been abandoned for years stood tall and proud. Everyone circled around an empty drugged up hole ready to be filled with a body. Seven men carried the heavy wooden coffin, gently laid it on the dead dried up grass, tied it up with ropes and lowered it down into the earth. The bald pastor read from his small Bible. “We commit the body of Maxine to the earth and pray that her soul finds everlasting peace in Heaven.” Then people tossed in the hole Amaranth, Asphodel, Belladonna, and Eglantine; said their final goodbyes, took a shovel full of dirt and poured it into the hole where the coffin laid still. Once the hole was finally filled everyone parted their ways and went back to their lives. I decided to stay behind to say my final goodbyes. I stood there staring at the tombstone like a statue for three minutes. The wind blew pieces of my hair in front of my face, but it didn’t bothered me at the moment; the winds left a warm breeze telling me that summer has finally came to an end. On the tombstone laid writing words carved into the stone. “Maxine Smith. 1938-2014. A loving mother and wife. A caring sister and servant.” Slowly I knelt down by the tomb and laid a single flower by it. “well,” I said. “Looks like this is the end, I guess?” You only got to live to see my 17th birthday instead of my 18th. I wanted you to be there when I graduate, when I get married. There’s so much more that I wanted you to be there for me.” Somehow a smile grew on my face and I continued talking. “But now you’re up in Heaven with Jesus. Go quietly, peacefully, alone; no harm will befall on you.” I knew what I meant. I stood up and disappeared behind the head of stones. Goodbye aunt Maxine. Rest in peace.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro