17 ¦ New Friends

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

As I marched down the hall away from Lord Darius, I heard Axa's slow, heavy steps thudding on the marble floors. I quickened my pace until I finally caught up with her. We walked side by side in silence until she looked at me and raised a quizzical eyebrow.

"You know Lord Darius is the only one who can teach you to control your magic, right?" she asked. "It's foolish to reject his help."

I took a deep sigh and pursed my lips. "You heard us?"

"We Dragonborn hear everything," she said. "It's what makes us great warriors, hunters, and healers."

"What do you mean ... everything?"

"Your heart rate is about one hundred and ten beats per minute 'cause you tried to catch up with me," she replied.

I slowed down and took my pulse to check her accuracy.

"A hundred ... ninety-six ... ninety ... eighty-eight," she counted down as my pulse began to slow.

"That's amazing!" I said, staring wide-eyed at Axa. "What else can you do?"

"Your pheromones tell me you're angry, but you're also fighting against your mating hormones," she said. "They're starting to wear off, so you've seen someone recently you find attractive."

"What?"

"As you've only seen Lord Darius and me in the hallway, and your pheromones are weakening, you probably favor the company of men over the company of women."

I stared at her, wide-eyed. "The company of women?"

"Why? You got a problem with that?"

My parents never spoke about such things, and everyone in our village was either celibate, dating, or married. "No, but I didn't know that existed," I whispered.

Axa gave me a pointed look and curled her lip. "You're a very naive girl."

"Why don't they mention it in the organic science textbooks?" I asked.

"Don't worry--in time I'll teach you about the real world outside your tiny village." Axa guffawed and gave me a pat on the back. "In any case, you got it for him real good."

Inwardly, I cringed, and my face began to flush crimson.

"Your abilities are incredible, but you were mistaken earlier," I said, crossing my arms. "I don't find anyone attractive, much less that sinister man."

"Blood in the face," she said with a grunt as she pointed at my flushed cheeks. "Heart rate of one hundred. I think I'm spot on."

"Please, stop."

"You're embarrassed." She paused as a smile crept across her face, and she gave me a gentle chuckle. "Good. That'll teach you not to lie to me."

"Why are you insinuating--?"

"Look, lady, use them big words all you like--that don't make you right. I don't hint at nothing. You're a scientist, or you ain't. We observe facts and signs--that's why we're called scientists."

"But I can't stand the man."

"He gets you all riled up somethin' fierce though, doesn't he?"

"No, he doesn't."

Axa shrugged as she gave me a crooked smile. "You sure fooled me."

I replied with an exasperated groan.

"Get used to it," she said, narrowing her eyes. "I see things. And I either speak my mind or hit people over the head with it if they're too stupid to listen."

"But you ain't a lost cause. I'll do more talking and less hitting ... for now." Axa gave me another caustic look. "You ain't mean or cruel, just a bit dumb and inexperienced."

Shocked by her directness, I simply gaped at her.

"Now, c'mon," she said, draping her heavy arm over my shoulder, "let's go meet the others."

I decided to keep quiet. After all, Axa was my only potential friend, and I didn't want to burn bridges I hadn't even built yet.

Axa led me into a giant lounge with dark cherry floor-to-ceiling wainscoting polished to a glossy sheen. Ornate wool rugs in geometric patterns adorned the wooden floors. Beeswax candles ensconced in wrought-iron candelabras and chandeliers gave the room a warm glow.

In the face of indescribable luxury, I simply gaped at the room, and Axa chuckled under her breath. "Yeah, you're in the presence of royalty now. Welcome home."

Two young men were seated across from each other at a card table covered with green velvet, poring over a game of Strategy. A third young man sat in an armchair before the fireplace reading a giant tome.

"These are the other trainees," Axa whispered in my ear. "Those guys there, Alex and Chris? They're really competitive. Always playing games and fighting duels to best each other and shit. That other kid over there? James? He's more of a loner, always reading textbooks next to the cat."

"What cat?" I asked.

"That one," Axa said, pointing at a svelte, pure-black cat with yellow eyes, which sauntered towards the fireplace.

It jumped up onto the velvet footstool near the studious young man and turned around a few times in a circle until it situated itself. Afterward, it plonked itself in the middle with its head on its paws, looking at me with a pointed expression before exhaling audibly.

I didn't know cats sighed.

"Aww, he's cute. I wonder if he likes to be petted."

"Normally not, but ain't no fault in trying," she said with a chuckle.

"What's funny?"

"You're more interested in the cat than the trainees," Axa replied with a crooked smile.

"Sometimes animals are more interesting than people," I admitted. "In fact, I don't really like most people."

"Fair 'nough. Can't say that I blame you."

"I always wanted a pet cat," I said. "What's his name?"

"Shadow."

I walked up to the cat, who gave me a curious, almost suspicious look. "Hey, Shadow," I said in a soft voice. The cat flattened its ears, and I said, "Don't worry--I won't hurt you."

I held out my index finger so that he could acclimate himself to my scent. After a few seconds of silent sniffing, Shadow decided to rub the sides of his face against my finger.

"Well, will you look at that?" the young scholar said, staring at the cat with a bemused expression. "He never does that."

"I know, right?" Axa said as she stood behind me. "She doesn't even do that to you, James, and Shadow hates you least."

"Sometimes, you have to let a cat come to you," I whispered as Shadow began to purr.

James was studying the cat, casting me furtive glances now and again when he thought I wasn't looking. He had a kind of bookish attractiveness with his cropped dark hair, thin physique, and angular face.

The young scholar pushed a pair of rectangular lenses up the bridge of his nose and cleared his throat. "So ... what are you studying?" James asked me.

A faint blush spread across his face when my gaze met his. He had the kind of light-brown eyes that reminded me of autumn and snuggling in a cozy blanket by the fireplace.

"The healing arts," I said, petting Shadow on the head as he purred. "What about you?"

"Science as well," he muttered.

"Oh, really, what kind of science?" I asked.

I was glad we had something in common. Perhaps we could even learn or study together--it sounded promising at least.

"I'd rather not say."

I balked at his reply. "What do you mean?"

"I'd do anything to be in your place--" James mumbled in reply.

"Want to trade?" I asked, not entirely kidding. "I'd love to learn about science."

"Would you also love to have the Shadowmeister kill civilians in droves using your weapons?"

I stared at him, dumbfounded.

"Yeah, that's what I thought," James said, narrowing his eyes at me. "Be happy you can be the Shadowmeister's pet instead."

All of a sudden, the cat gave James a menacing growl.

"Shadow!" I exclaimed. As only a feline can, he turned around and gave me a surly look.

"It's fine," James muttered, shaking his head. "I was just leaving anyway."

Slamming his book shut, James left the room without another word. Furrowing my brow, I turned towards Axa, who gave me a dismissive shrug.

"Weirdo scientists," she muttered. "Can't live with 'em. Can't kill 'em." I gave her a quizzical look, and she shrugged. "Too valuable."

"But we're scientists," I said to her.

"No one's perfect," she replied, giving me one of her frightening, toothy grins.

"Don't mind James," the blond-haired man at the card table said. "Poor bastard was a conscientious objector. He probably would have killed fewer people fighting on the battlefield."

Shadow growled at the young man at the table and lay his ears flat against his head before hissing at him. Worried the unpredictable feline might bite me by association, I stood up and made my way over to the card table to watch the two young men play Strategy.

The blond who had addressed me was now staring at the man across from him, analyzing his opponent's every facial expression. His hand remained poised on a game piece as he debated whether to make his move final. His blue eyes twinkled with delight when he gave a resolute nod.

"Are you sure about that?" the dark-haired man asked him.

"Why?"

"Make that move, Chris, and I win in three," his opponent said with a smirk.

Chris furrowed his brow and moved his piece two squares to the left, his hand still on the piece.

"Victory in two moves now. Reconsider your options."

"Quiet, Alex," he growled. "Fuck, I'm thinking."

"Does it hurt?"

"Soon I'll hurt you if you don't shut up."

Oblivious to my presence, Alex focused his entire attention on the game in front of him, allowing me to observe him more closely. My heart fluttered when his dark-brown eyes shone in triumph. A strand of his dark-brown hair fell across his forehead that he didn't bother to brush aside.

"You favor him," Axa whispered to me. I shushed her with a gentle jab in the ribs.

Chris pursed his lips and made a completely different move.

"Victory in four moves now," Alex said with a wide grin.

Wow, he's rather arrogant, isn't he?

"Aw, fuck this shit," Chris groaned as he pushed his chair away from the table. "She distracted me," he said, pointing at me. "I call for a rematch."

"Don't try to blame Axa for your--"

Chris gestured towards me again with a pressing look.

"What is your problem?" Alex grunted. "Axa, stop distracting Chris and let us--"

Alex stopped dead in his tracks as he rose to his feet, turned, and saw me for the first time. His eyes widened with surprise. "Oh ..."

"Hi," I said with a shy smile. "Hope it's okay that we were watching."

"I ... I didn't know we had a new ... What I mean is ..."

"Smooth," Chris muttered under his breath as he rolled his eyes and strolled towards me, brimming with confidence. "I'm Chris." He pointed to his friend. "This is Alex."

"Helena de Grazia," I said as I shook his hand and gave Alex a curt nod.

"Don't mind Alex," Chris said, casting a cursory glance behind him. "He's not normally this incoherent and withdrawn, but he has a thing for redheads."

"You must have a thing for dead heads because I'm going to kill you soon!" Alex hissed at him.

I tried hard to hide a smile by pretending to cover my lips in thought.

"Well, that's my cue to leave," Chris said with a crooked grin. "Gotta get some target practice before dark." He turned towards Alex and crossed his arms. "You might beat me at Strategy, but I hold the world record in archery. Remember that the next time you threaten me."

"Smug bastard," Alex muttered under his breath. "I could slit your throat before you drew your bow."

How charming.

"See you at dinner," Chris said to Axa and me with a wave.

Alex avoided my gaze and started to put away the Strategy pieces, so I walked up to the card table and began to help. "You know where to put the pieces," he muttered with a surprised lilt to his voice. "Do you play?"

"Yes," I said. "My father taught me, and we played all the time together when I was a young girl."

"Young girl? Strategy is tough," he said, his eyes shining in the light of the beeswax candles. "When did you learn?"

I shrugged and focused on the pieces. "I was four or five--I can't really remember now."

He raised a quizzical eyebrow at me. "Damn ..."

"Yeah, then I played with my friend Lena, but now ..."

A kind of empty pit crawled into my heart, nestling there like a festering wound. As if he could detect my sadness, Shadow came up to me and rubbed against my legs, purring and giving me a burr-meow. I bent down and gave him a little scratch on the head.

"You know, you can play with us," Alex said. "If you want, you know ... Might be fun."

"I'd like that," I said with a smile.

"Good. We play every evening at seven," he said, shaking my hand. "It'll keep you on your toes."

"All right, great. I'll give it a go."

He packed away the wooden box in the hidden wall storage compartments. "See you at dinner, Axa." He gave me a curt nod. "Helena."

"What on Earth was that all about?" I asked Axa, trying to suppress a giggle until Alex had left. "Now I know what you mean. They're all a bit strange."

"Phrase it like this," Axa replied. "Those boys all prefer females, and you're the only available one they've seen since they arrived. That's two years for Alex, over a year for James, and a few months for Chris. So their heart rates jumped by twenty to thirty beats when they saw you."

"What about you?"

"Heh," she replied as she held up her hand, a golden ring on her marriage finger. "I never said nothing about being available."

"Oh, I'm sorry," I said, flustered and embarrassed. "I didn't see your ring. You must miss him terribly."

"Yes, I miss Xanthia," she admitted with a sigh. "I count down every single day till my five-year service is over and the Gatál let me go. Sadly, loved ones can't visit us in the military camp."

With a sharp intake of air, I gasped and stared at her ring. "I'm ... I'm ..." My cheeks grew so warm that I thought they would burst into flame. "I didn't know ... What I said earlier ... I didn't ..."

"Relax, kid," she said as she gave me a kindly pat on the shoulder. "I love a woman, not the ruler of Hades. Come on, let's show you the scholar suite before the evening meal."

How many more times would I feel foolish before the day ended?

---

A/N: Thanks for reading. If you enjoyed the chapter, please vote and/or comment.

This is a raw draft of the chapter, so you might see typos and other errors. As always, if you see something that needs fixing, please let me know.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro