Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

+ I'M NEVER GONNA LET YOU CLOSE TO ME,
EVEN THOUGH YOU MEAN THE MOST TO ME.
[ sam smith - too good at goodbyes ]

"Oh, it's you. Welcome back."

Supra walks through the wide doorway, taking off his visors. In front of him is a man, crouching, tidying the mats set purposefully on the floor for tonight's public praying session. He looks around, catching sight of the slightly cracked walls.

"Yeah." Death tugs at his tie, loosening it a little. "Came here to save a little hello." He strides forward and stands behind the figure. "How are you?"

"Just like always," He could hear the smile in the old man's voice, and a dry cough that followed after. His brown eyes watch as the elderly frame straightens himself up, square glasses perched on his wrinkly skin. "Nice to have you here."

Death smiles, softly, extending his gloved hand. "Likewise. You've grown shorter since the last time I've seen you." He snorts at the older man's distorted expression. "Don't look at me like that."

"It's the truth," The latter responds, fixing his rigid glasses and pushing it back up, "What are you here for? To visit me? I'm honored.."

Their hands shook together- human and spirit. An unspoken bond that had lasted for half a century. "Yes." Supra answers, as they went out and sat by the cooling staircase. "I was on the way."

"To reap another soul, eh?"

Death chuckles, faintly, "I have to do what I'm tasked to do, I suppose." They both look out at the dawning sun, "I saw some posters as I was walking by. Special occasion?"

"Prayers, and such."

"Ah, I see." Supra nods curtly in understanding. He never really understood the religious aspects of humankind- but seeing how many benefited from it, he chose to keep quiet and divert the topic round. "Your time is limited." He says.

"Don't we all?" The old man exclaims, in pure relief, as he extends his hands behind his back. "As humans, we're obliged to return to our creator."

Seeing that the grim reaper was paying attention, he continues, "Through you, of course. Sometimes I sit and wonder. About your kin— don't you get lonely, hmm? Watching humans fall and rise. You're probably busier these days."

"People just love kids, apparently."

"Oh my," The elderly man laughs, "Of course they do! Tell me, how much has civilization grown? I remember the time when cities didn't exist."

"You say it like you're a yearning grandfather."

Supra grins lopsidedly, feeling nostalgic. In the presence of the man, he felt as if he was really one of them. As if he actually belongs to humanity. "Isn't that true? I haven't got to see your children after a long time too."

"Ah yes, my grandchildren.. I have plenty of them, really. My daughter gave birth not to one— but seven! Seven boys, too! Oh, it's going to be hard.."

Death couldn't help but laugh a little, genuinely. "Or so I've heard. Do you see them often?"

"No, not really. At least, they come here to visit over the summer. Nowadays, rarely." They watch as the golden rays of the sun starts to shimmer, "Why, yes, I miss them. But its hard to find them."

"That's unfortunate." The spirit hums.

"Well, I can only hope for the best."

Supra lolls his head slightly, closing his eyes and letting his entire body feel the sun. "I hope the best for them too. It's beautiful today, don't you think?"

Them. "Ah, how much time do I have left?"

"Not much, really." The grim reaper confesses, turning to the elderly man with a small frown on his face. "Would you really like to know?"

"Yes, of course. An old man like me can only dream of being older and older. It's useless, once you're of this age. You dream of finishing what your youth had once wanted. What a beautiful thing, life is."

"Your youth? What were your dreams?"

"This." He watches as the man extends his arms, waving them in a half-circle motion. "Just this alone. Watching the sun set, with an old foe. I've dreamt of wanting someone like you, Supra."

The said reaper didn't flinch this time, but rather sighs softly, "You consider me as a friend? Do you not have other people to choose from?"

"Why, of course I do have others! But you're my friend too. In fact, you're my oldest one. There isn't a law that says why we can't be friends. Even if we're two worlds apart, I know that deep down, you have a little trait that we humans, share too."

"And—" Death hesitates, "What's that?"

Wrinkled, rough hands touch against the fabric of soft leather ones. "The ability to care. Even if it's just a teeny bit!" He bellows with laughter, old and wise.

Care? "I think you're mistaken here."

"Surely, I'm not. I've lived old enough to see people take their first breaths, and last. Like you," The elder man beams, "We're not that different, are we? Watching the living depart and the dead come back alive."

Stunned, Death could say nothing in response to it. Now that he realized, it was true. The only difference that marked them was that he lives for eternity. Unlike his friend. He's ironically chained to life.

"If you could live forever, would you?"

"No. Oh, I hope not. It would be a bother. Imagine living forever, without anyone to spend your life with." The man shakes his head, "I'm sorry that you have to go through this, Supra. I really do."

"It's okay." His voice came out softer than intended, and he swallows intentionally, "I'm made for the job anyway. There isn't anything to be sorry about."

"And if you could die, would you take it?"

"What— me? Dying?"

"Metaphorically speaking. Would you?"

Death was rendered speechless once more, left with nothing else to say. Why did he just realize this? Why does his existence even seem to matter? It was as if he was created for the sheer task of bringing the human's to their ultimate goal.

"I-I would." He stammers, eyes widening in realization. "I would, if I could. It seems like a good thing."

The man named Tok Aba laughs once more. "It's ironic, don't you think? Well— you've never answered by question."

"Ah, about that.." Supra shifts slightly.

"You know, you don't have to answer." Tok Aba inclines his head, patting the reaper on the back. "The sun's getting low. I think that it's time that we both move on with our lives, yes?"

Death stands up, stuttering, "Y-Yeah.." He's out of breath, out of words to say. "S-See you next time."

The God of Death is incapable of dying.

And there wouldn't be a next time, too.

to clear up any confusion: yes, supra spared tok
aba's life when he was younger out of sympathy.
that's how tok aba knows who he really is. :)
update: had to reupload this smh wattpadass

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro