8- Wondering

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

"So, I was thinking we could have a key change after the first verse," Ashlyn explains, holding out her notebook for me to read; coming back to the musical meant helping Ashlyn with her song, not that I minded very much; she was easy to work with.

"Like this?" "I play the chorus, making it a key higher this time.

"That's perfect," Ashlyn grins, scribbling the new notes in her notebook, "Thank you for your help, Eloise."

I shrug my shoulders in response, "You did most of the work; this song is incredible." It really was, I was worried Ashlyn's song would be horrible, and I'd have to break it to her that it probably wouldn't make it into the show, but everything about it was amazing; all I'd done is play the piano for her and tweak a few notes, she did the rest of the work.

"Wanna go over it one more time?" She asked; I nodded, positioning my fingers over the keys; I'd barely gotten the first few notes out when Ashlyn's eyes widened in surprise.

"Oh, Hi," She greeted whoever was standing behind me.

"Hi," I looked over my shoulder at Nini, who seemed just as awkward as Ashlyn.

Nini looks down at me, and I nod, "Hey."

"I didn't know anyone was in here," Nini finally says; I furrow my brows at Ashlyn, who's quickly picking up her bag, shutting her songbook closed; Nini is dating her cousin, why is she so awkward around her, hadn't they spoken before?

"We can be gone in seven seconds," Ashlyn reassured Nini, "six if I don't zip my bag."

Alright then, I guess we're leaving; I begin to stand from the piano bench when Nini holds her hand out, stopping me, "No, no, no. Don't go," She reassured both Ashlyn and me, "what was that?"

"What was what?" I finally ask; Ashlyn places her bag back down, staying in her spot at the front of the piano.

"The song you were playing?" Nini nodded towards the keys.

"Oh, that... it's um," Ashlyn awkwardly stuttered, opening her notebook once more, "Miss Jenn asked me to write a song for my character," She began explaining, "It's probably way too much... but I'm playing Ms. Darbus, the teach-"

"I know who you're playing, Ashlyn," Nini cut her off reassuringly, "I sat across from you at the read-through; and besides, your EJ's cousin,"

Ashlyn shook her head at the mention of her cousin, "we don't have to talk about EJ, I don't, I don't wanna talk about EJ," she rambled nervously, "do you wanna talk? about EJ?"

"No, I mean, I...I do, uh, but just not right now," She stumbled on her words, both her and Ashlyn sharing nods once she'd finished, "Uh, so you're Eloise, right?" Nini changed the subject, looking down at me.

"Yeah, um, I was just helping Ashlyn with her song," I explain, "I'm the assistant director."

I don't expect Nini to know my role; I barely did any of the things an assistant director was supposed to do. Luckily, Miss Jenn hasn't needed me to just yet, "I know who you are," Nini reassured, "sorry I haven't properly introduced myself yet, it's been kind of crazy between school, rehearsals, and..." she didn't say the last thing, but she didn't need to; I could tell she was referring to Ricky.

"Oh, no," I shake my head, "it's al- "

I pause when Nini's phone chimes in her pocket; she smiles apologetically at me before checking it, "Jeez, this has to stop," She shook her head, laughing under her breath.

"Doesn't matter who texted," Ashlyn shook her head, writing something in her songbook, "It's no one's business."

I shoot her a questioning glance; what was up with her? I'm usually the only person who's this awkward in a conversation, "No." Nini laughed, not noticing Ashlyn's nervous demeanor, "one of my mom's has been sending me these fortune cookie messages every day to keep me "balanced" she explains, making air-quotes with her fingers. "Um... "a true test of character is what you do when no one's looking," She gave us an example, playfully rolling her eyes.

Ashlyn let out an awkward chuckle, "why would someone send that."

"She seriously needs to stop," Nini shrugged, putting her phone back in her bag, "it's like the 15th one today."

"And?" I looked up at Nini once again; she furrowed her brows at me, "do you feel balanced?"

Nini laughed, shaking her head, "Oh definitely." I could see why Ricky was so into Nini now; she was kind and easy to talk to; I could see them being a cute couple, "So, why don't you play me some of your song?"

Ashlyn moved to the other side of me, standing beside me now; we shared a glance, and she nodded, gesturing for me to start playing.

Ashlyn sang the first verse and chorus full out this time, flawlessly hitting every single note that came her way; it was hard to believe a voice this powerful was coming out of the awkward girl beside me. As she got to the end of the first chorus, she nodded for Nini and I to join.

"Maybe I should turn around and take the other road," Nini sang confidently, while I continued to play piano; I never even sang in front of Carlos, let alone two people I barely know, "maybe I'm just looking for what I already know."

"Feels like I might have broke the best thing that I had, said too much to ever take it back," Nini sang the second verse, and I scooted over, allowing her to take the spot beside me.

I smiled encouragingly at Nini as she sang, nodding along to the music; her and Ashlyn's voices meshed together perfectly as if they'd been singing with each other their entire lives.

Whatever trance had been put on us immediately broke as soon as I hit the last key on the piano, all three of us now noticing the boy who'd walked in while Ashlyn and Nini were singing.

Ricky looked shocked, his eye's connecting with Nini's, "Uh," His voice was shaky, "We're back."

"What?" Nini asked, unable to look away from her ex.

"Downstairs, Miss Jenn wants to see everyone in the bomb shelter." Ricky awkwardly nods before walking away.

Ashlyn and I both glance at one another, both unsure of what to say; Nini stays silent, mumbling an awkward goodbye as she leaves the auditorium.

"Do you know what that was about?" Ashlyn asks, swinging her bag over her shoulder as we walk together, "I mean, not that you have to tell me, I'm just curious, cause Nini seemed-"

"I have no clue," I cut her off, shaking my head; I don't mention that I'll definitely be asking Ricky about it later, "Now c'mon, you're going to love the surprise Miss Jenn has."

^^Eloise's outfit

I may have another chapter up tonight, so keep an eye out

Hope you enjoyed!!

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro