Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Ch2

"I don't know what's wrong with our friends," Claire complained to Miller as she settled into the plush passenger seat of their Range Rover. "All the opportunity and money in the world and they seem so insistent on ruining their lives."

Miller shrugged as he pulled out of the parking lot and turned onto Chick Hearn Court. "You know what they say; money doesn't buy happiness."

"I know." Claire let out a sigh. She adjusted the air conditioning and a gust of wind moved strands of hair around her face. "It's just seems like they try to find trouble. I don't understand why they just can't live normal lives."

"Normal?" Miller snorted. "You call this normal? You do realize that we're part of a very small percentage of people who get to live this way, right?" he asked with raised brows. "This life is anything but normal."

Claire rolled her eyes. "You know what I mean, Miller." She turned her head away from him and looked out the tinted window at the passing traffic. She had lived in California for almost twelve years and still couldn't get used to the busy streets. Driving was something she did not prefer doing, especially in town. L.A. was always so crowded with vehicles and people walking this way and that. She felt overwhelmed and dizzy every time she sat behind the wheel of her BMW, so it remained parked away in the garage, rarely getting used. Between Miller and her personal assistant Anna, Claire almost never needed to drive on her own--a luxury she appreciated.

"Look, you know I love how much you care about our friends, Claire, but they're adults. They get to live their lives however they choose to. You can't mother them forever," Miller explained. "They're going to start resenting you."

Claire leaned back in her seat and sighed. She knew he was right; she just didn't want to admit it. Mothering their friends came second nature to her, almost like breathing. She couldn't not do it.

Staring out the passenger window, Claire watched as downtown L.A. passed by. Teenage runaways and prostitutes littered the streets as the homeless foraged through garbage cans outside of seedy, rundown diners. California could feel so jaded, and sometimes she longed for the simple life of her hometown. Her family had returned to Colorado as soon as Claire had turned eighteen, promising never to return. As much as they loved their oldest child, she was on her own. Miller and their friends were her family now, and Claire was fiercely protective of them.

"So, what did you think of the ceremony?" she asked, attempting to change the subject. "Was my speech okay?"

"Your acceptance speech was beautiful and gracious--just like you." Miller over and rubbed her thigh affectionately.

"I only hope I didn't forget anyone . . ."

"I'm pretty sure you covered every person you've known since birth! Did you notice they had to cut you off to go to a commercial break?" He shook his head and laughed. "I hate live shows, they're so unpredictable."

Claire blushed and pushed his shoulder playfully. "Hey, I had a lot of people to acknowledge!"

He turned and gave her an amused smile. "I just don't think you needed to include your preschool teacher!"

"Miller!" Claire laughed. "Miss Sass was the first person who gave me a shot in this business, I owe her a debt of gratitude. Preschool was where my dream to become an actress was first born."

"You played Dorothy in a four-year-old's production of The Wizard of Oz," he retorted sarcastically.

"Yes, well Miss Sass gave me that part in the play when half of the girls in my class tried out. I think she deserves a 'thank you'."

Miller stifled another laugh. "Well, what about Jonathon Walters?"

"What about him?" she asked, running her fingers through soft, brunette waves and removing the mass of bobby pins that held them in perfect place. She owed the famous director plenty after he offered her the leading role in his critically acclaimed film. Many a Hollywood actress had hoped for that part and it had gone to her. Her! She still couldn't believe it!

"Didn't he deserve a 'thank you'?"

"Of course he did, and that's why he got one," she replied haughtily.

"Are you sure about that?" Miller glanced sideways at her.

Claire's brow furrowed in confusion. "What are you saying? That I forgot to mention him?"

Miller raised his eyebrows and gave her a grin. "I know you didn't think you would win tonight, but you did. Maybe you should make a list of everyone you want to thank the next time, you know, how everyone else does it? That way you don't forget anyone."

"Miller!" Claire tried not to panic. "Did I forget to thank Jonathon?"

Her boyfriend let out a loud laugh. "Relax, I'm only teasing you, Claire!" He leaned over and pushed his hand tenderly through her long hair. "You're such an innocent. It's one of the many reasons why I love you."

Claire reached over and quickly brushed her lips against the side of his face. "If you love me then stop teasing me," she said with a smile.

Miller gave her a sexy half grin. "Oh come on, you know you can't resist my cocky, southern charm."

"I do love your cocky, southern charm," Claire admitted reluctantly, biting her lower lip. "And I love you."

With a big smile, Miller Bradley shook his head fondly and looked at Claire.

How did I get so lucky? Claire Ryan was sweet, funny, smart and beautiful, and she was all his. Sometimes, he still had to pinch himself to make sure it was true.

Growing up, he hadn't had the greatest role models when it came to love. His parents had fought quite a bit. As much as he loved them both, living together as one big happy family just didn't work. He moved from Louisiana to California shortly after his parents finally divorced when he was ten-years-old. His mom uprooted her brood of boys and moved in with her parents until she could stand on her own two feet, while his father remained in Louisiana and quickly remarried.

Working two jobs and going to nursing school full time, his determined mother saved and saved until she finally had enough money stashed away to move Miller and his two younger brothers into an apartment in Pasadena.

Miller hadn't caught the acting bug until he signed up for his middle school drama club as a way to meet girls. There, his teacher decided he had "it", whatever "it" was, and made it her job to get him ready for his first real, honest-to-goodness audition--forget that amateur pre-teen drama club stuff. He quickly landed several television commercials and a made-for-TV movie where he was discovered by famous producer, Oliver McGee. Oliver approached Miller's agent with a new show he was working on called Paradise Cove, and thought Miller might be just right for one of the lead spots. Miller worked that role for three years, learning and perfecting his craft. Right before the show ended he landed a big part in an action movie opposite Brad Pitt. The starring role had sent his career into a tailspin. He had more offers than he knew what to do with. Eventually, he signed on a three-deal action movie series about a group of young police officers called Vice Squad. Filming for the final installment just wrapped up and Miller now had his sights set on writing and directing his first screenplay.

With so many successful ventures under their belts, Miller and Claire were considered the Hollywood couple of the moment and Miller was loving every second of it, unlike his better half who preferred leading a quiet life outside of work. Claire would be content dropping off of the radar all together if it wasn't for him.

As different as the two were, they were very much in love. They had been together on and off for five years and Miller knew this time they would make it last. He had dated other girls during their off times, and none even came close to comparing to Claire. Someday, he vowed to make her his wife. There was no doubt in his mind they were made to be together.

Ashton Montgomery stumbled out of the after-party with Juliana Santiago, both feeling mighty good - and it showed.

"I'm really getting tired of amateur photographers on the red carpet," Ashton complained to her best friend for the third time that evening, but after a few stiff drinks she wasn't exactly keeping track. "Don't they know that using a low angle when taking pictures is much more flattering to the face? If I end up looking like a horse again, someone's getting sued!"

Juliana laughed loudly and linked arms with the attractive redhead. "It could be worse. You could looking like an Olsen Twin!"  With several shots of Grey Goose under their belts, they were just getting warmed up. As they worked their way toward the waiting limousine, Ashton noticed a distracted Brooks swaggering in their direction and she gave her friend a nudge.

"Amigo," Juliana called out, her accented voice resonating through the parking lot. "You're clubbing with us, right? Come on, you can pick up your car tomorrow."

Brooks shrugged, his blond hair disheveled and his shirt a wrinkled mess. "Sure. Why the hell not?" He hopped into the limo with the girls and ran his fingers through his tousled mane.

"So, what have you been up to, or do I even need to ask?" Ashton laughed caustically, already knowing the answer.

Brooks just grunted as he reached into the bar for an open bottle of Patron, taking a healthy swig from the rim.

"You better watch out, my friend," Juliana warned. "Jonathon Walters will hang you up by your balls if he finds out you're screwing with his baby girl."

"Don't you mean screwing his baby girl?" Ashton snorted, not able to resist getting in a jab. It was easy to ruffle Brooks' feathers, especially when he was in one of his famous moods.

"Who ever said I jumped his daughter?" he asked, looking irritated.

Juliana tossed back her silky black hair. "Oh what, you don't kiss and tell anymore?" she asked with raised eyebrows, an indignant look covering her pretty face. "I'm only informing you because I care about you. Jonathon is an asshole, and he won't think twice about squashing you like a little bug."

"I could give two shits about Jonathon Walters!" Brooks exploded. "He has nothing to do with my career."

Juliana's voice took on a serious tone. "I wouldn't underestimate him if I were you. That man has serious clout in this town. He's more powerful than you think he is."

"I'd like to see him try," he snorted. "I'm un-fucking-touchable." Brooks' arrogant attitude was no secret to his friends or to anyone else in Hollywood. Overconfidence oozed from him like lava erupting from a volcano. It was obvious Brooks was used to getting whatever he wanted whenever he wanted it, and so far there hadn't been one single person who cared to challenge that.

Ashton dissolved into a fit of drunken giggles. "Okay, hot-shot, you need to chill the fuck out! Here, try this," she offered, reaching into her clutch and passing out small, colorful pills to her friends.

"I didn't know you brought along our friend Molly." Juliana pushed her shoulder playfully. "You've been holding out on me, girl!"

"When was the last time I partied without her?" Ashton leaned closer toward her friend and winked provocatively. "Now pass the Patron, I'm ready to turn up."

"There you are, Peanut," Jonathon Walters boomed. "Where have you been? I've been looking everywhere for you."

Brianna Walters scowled at the towering man that stood before her. "I told you not to call me that anymore, Daddy."

"I can't help it, Sugar. Old habits die hard."

Brianna rolled her eyes at her father's impossibly loud voice. The last thing she wanted was for everyone to hear the childish pet-names he insisted on calling her.

"Are you feeling okay, Sweetie? You look a bit flushed," he asked in concern.

Brianna's eyes went wide and her hands flew up to her cheeks. "Uh . . . it's just a little warm in here, that's all. I was outside getting some fresh air," she carefully lied. Her experience with Brooks had left her breathless and dying to tell someone, anyone, no matter his desperate request for her not to.

"You were outside by yourself?" her father exploded. "Brianna, you have to be more careful! I tell you all the time about the crazy people in this town. If you can't listen to me I'm afraid I'll be forced to ground you from using the Ferrari, young lady."

But Brianna was barely paying attention to his outburst; she had Brooks on her mind. "Daddy, where's Tiffany?" she asked, referring to her stepmother, who was not much older than Brianna herself. At first, the thought of her father marrying someone so close to her own age had horrified her. But when Brianna realized that the ditsy, over-bleached blonde was more like a really cool big sister than an evil Disney stepparent, she softened up. Two years later, the two were very close and Brianna knew she could confide in her without the worry of important secrets being blabbed to the whole wide world.

And losing her virginity to pop singer Brooks Kennedy was too good not to share.

Is Brooks Kennedy on a path of destruction? Find out in Chapter 3!

Hello and thank you for reading Fast Lane! If you liked this chapter, I ask that you please remember to vote/comment--I do appreciate it! Check out the media section for a picture of cutie pie, boy-next-door Miller Bradley (just imagine him with blue eyes)!  (;

This is the first time I've written longer chapters and I would like to know what you  think, are they too long? Thanks for your input!

(Chapter 2 approx. 2,315 words)

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro