Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Since Tom cannot hold himself any longer, he stalks across campus. It is a late Tuesday night, overcast and cold. There is little nightlife on campus; while there is a pub people rarely frequent on weeknights. Campus is empty. He keeps his head down but his eyes dart around him, hoping to see anyone he recognizes. His hands are shoved deep in his pockets, trying to retain their warmth.

He gets to the meeting spot. It's a professor's cottage. The building lacks a plaque like the others, which is odd to Tom. He cannot tell to whom the house belongs. Though he wishes to stalk around to see if there is a back door, he instead waits by the side.

It's at cold moments like these that he wishes he smoked. Tobacco is bad for the throat, and his voice is precious. It needs to be projected at large volumes, else he loses his scholarship. Tom does not consider himself a big worrier, but he the scholarship is another beast.

"Hello!" he hears a voice in the darkness.

Someone, with a mess of curly hair but a sharp outfit, comes around the corner. They stick out their hand. "I'm Roman. Roman Welshly."

Tom nods, offers a polite smile and turns slightly, trying to go back to what he is doing. However, it is hard to get back to looking casual while waiting for something when you've been interrupted.

"It's awfully chilly," Roman says. "I'm not used to the cold. In the middle of winter I at last discovered that there was in me an invincible summer."

"Sorry?" Tom asks, finally looking over.

Roman shakes it off. "It's Camus. Nevermind."

They are interrupted by approaching footsteps. Roman is hoping that the next person to arrive seems more engaging. The current stranger, who has yet to introduce himself and is standing in shadow, seems reluctant to be approached. Roman will not be deterred.

Tom sees the woman who approaches and is shocked by her beauty. He keeps his mouth closed, thankfully, but cannot help but become enthralled by her appearance. She is an ingenue, as told by the bard himself.

When Vieira steps in with them, she doesn't know if they are here to greet her, or they are waiting to be greeted. She looks at both of them, eyes wide.

"I'm Roman, and who-"

"Thompson," Tom says. He looks at Vieira, waiting for a response. "Tom, actually."

Roman's eyes widen. With an accent like that, this guy has got to be paying exorbitant tuition fees. Roman comes from money, but their mother already feels that Hawkwood is a bit of a waste. They cannot imagine coming here if they lived elsewhere.

Vieira smiles. She finds her words caught up in a jumble, and she looks down and blushes. People like the look of a flustered woman rather than one with an anxious disposition. For some reason, she wants this Tom to like her. Perhaps it's his soft eyes, or his perfect smile that draws her in. She looks at the contours of his face and suddenly believes that only a god could have sculpted him. "I'm Vieira. An art major."

~~~

Both Briar and Ellie leave their dorm at the same time. They take the same exit, Briar holding the open door for Ellie as she makes her escape. It is only a few seconds before they realize that they are walking in the same direction.

Not wanting to cause another woman walking alone at night any distress, Ellie takes the long route. She hurries along up the other path, hoping that she isn't late. When she makes it around to the house, she arrives at the same time as Briar.

The two exchange a glance, looking at each other in the dim light streaming off the porch.

"Are you following me?" Briar asks. Her voice is calm and low, not accusatory. She wants to seem curious.

"No," Ellie says. She pulls out the letter from her coat pocket and flashes it at Briar.

Briar nods, and pulls the tip of her letter out of her pocket, just so that Ellie may see. Then, she sticks out a hand, "Briar Haslan."

"Ellie Bright," Ellie says.

Briar tries not to let her eyes flick across Ellie's body, but they do. New clothes, expensive fabric. She may not have heard of the Brights, but they seem to come from a wealth familiar to Briar.

Ellie, less keen on school girl politics, notices the flicker. She says nothing, though she thinks of the last name. Haslan. She's heard it before, though not entirely sure where.

The wind leaves them hollow, but it also carries over voices from around the side of the house.

"Let's go check the others out, shall we?" Ellie suggests.

The two head down to the other three who have arrived, and make brief introductions.

Just after they have come, a girl, clutching her designer purse tightly to her chest arrives. She shivers in the cold, her exposed legs covered in goosebumps. It seems that when Evelyn picked out an outfit, the needed warmth did not occur to her.

"I was worried I would get attacked in the dark," Evelyn says, her voice a wisp on the wind. "You never know who's out there."

"It's Tuesday," Tom says with a furrowed brow.

"Briar Haslan," Briar introduces herself, cutting off Tom with a smile. Her eyes linger on the purse for a second as she holds out a hand.

Evelyn shakes it. Her bracelet jingles in the wind. "Evelyn Aiken."

Ez is the next to arrive. He sees them all gathering beside the house and snakes around the back, so that he doesn't have to talk to anyone. He pulls out a book from his satchel. Though he has a pen, and he wants to write in the margins, he doesn't dare. He wrote in the wrong book once and his aba yelled at him for hours.

Both Felix and Kai appear within seconds of each other. The two approach the group, huddle at the side of the house.

Felix looks at them all. Who are they? He might recognize one or two, from glimpses around campus, but he doesn't pay them any mind.

"So," Kai says. "This The Divide?"

It is the first time the word has been said, the truth of their gathering uttered. They are all quiet for a few seconds.

"Relax, I got the notice," Kai laughs, a grin spread thick like peanut butter on toast across his face. His voice is dark like chocolate, but nowhere near as bitter. "I take it you're the other initiates?"

"It's too fucking cold out," Felix shivers. He rubs his arms up and down his body. He knows, given his weight and his proclivities that he is more likely to grow cold than others. Still, he finds himself growing more frustrated by the minute. "We should go inside."

Though he is pretending not to eavesdrop, Ez is listening. He rolls his eyes and shuts his book. After rounding the corner, he stares at the group and they stare at him.

"Ez," he utters the syllable, hoping it is enough speaking to get him through the night.

"I'm Kaikara Findlay, but people call me Kai," Kai says. His eyes go to Ellie, whom he winks at.

While Ellie doesn't want to smile back, she does.

"Felix Choi," Felix does not want the hassle of introducing his name properly and then listening to the rest of them call him Choi for the rest of the evening. It prickles at the back of his neck though, his father's frustration and disgust for him. "People call me the best dancer at Hawkwood."

"People must also say you have a superiority complex," Ellie says, her voice dry and still.

Kai laughs.

From far away, Jetta sees the group and is unsure if she should approach them. It's too far away to recognize any of the students who have gathered around. Are they from her classes? Have they come to know the truth? While she can't be sure, she walks up to them anyway.

She is relieved when she recognizes no one. They all begin to introduce themselves one by one. The people who first arrived find their voices growing hoarse from speaking in the cold. It is frigid, and it is now midnight.

"Jetta," Jetta finally says when the words get back to her. She's usually better at making friends; she likes to think of herself as outgoing. Now, she is shying into herself.

"Is this all of us then?" Roman asks. They count the number of the group. Ten alone. Seems fitting enough.

"I don't care if it is not, I'm going to inside," Ez mumbles and stalks over to the front door.

He knocks on it and puts his ear up to the door. He finds no answer on the other side. The others gather around behind him.

"Try the handle," Kai suggests.

Ez begrudgingly listens. He turns the knob and the door swings open.

"Isn't this trespassing?" Evelyn asks. Her voice is still soft and sweet. She wants to be inside, but doubt is creeping upon her. It is rising like smoke.

Briar almost laughs. With the money that they are paying in tuition fees, they had better be allowed anywhere and everywhere on campus. Especially when invited.

"Just get inside," Felix instructs, lifting his hands and motioning for the crowd in front of him to move.

They all do, bumbling inside one by one.

Just down the field, Luis watches them all head inside. He checks his watch. He is arriving just a bit late. The perfect time, in his opinion. It's most fashionable, after all.

The others gather inside. The place appears as if it is still occupied. There are two sofas and three lounge chairs in the drawing-room, as well as a fireplace. Rugs adorn the floor, and a renaissance painting hangs on the wall. It's cozy and warm. The fireplace has been recently stoked.

In the next room is a dining room, with a long table. It is covered in a white table cloth, with glasses at every seat. On the table sit three pitchers, each with a different liquid. One red, one yellow, and one clear. A vial is also on the table, filled with green liquid, accompanied by a dropper. There are no plates and no silverware.

They stop in this room, for it is clearly meant for them. The door opens, and their heads whip around to see who has arrived.

Luis pops his head into the room. He walks over, scanning the other's faces. Some feel more familiar than others.

"You're late," Ez remarks, shaking his head at Luis.

Luis' cheeks tinge pink. He has always been easily embarrassed, and this is no exception. "Then I guess the party has arrived."

"Are you in charge?" Ellie asks, looking up at the man and cocking her head to the side.

"No, I'm just late," Luis says, looking around at the others shocked faces. "It's not a crime."

They begin to make their way through introductions once more. By now, people are beginning to learn each other's names.

Jetta moves through the crowd and to the table. On it is a note, with cursive writing from a thick ink pen. She picks it up and begins to read it.

"Welcome to Wonderland," she reads aloud. "Drink me."

She puts down the note, only for Kai to scoop it up and read it to himself.

Felix goes up to the first pitcher and wafts over some of the smell, "it's white wine."

"I don't think you need to sniff it to know that," Kai points out. A few of the others laugh.

Felix shoves his hands in his pockets. "Really then? If it's so obvious, what's in the vial? I'm not too familiar with green wine."

None of them have an answer.

They all find seats at the table. It is long enough to fit them all comfortably, so their elbows don't dig into each other. One seat remains empty.

"Who do you think sits there?" Tom whispers to Vieira, his lips dangerously close to her ear.

She shivers, and it uncontrollably rolls down her spine. She manages to find her composure and shrug, a red blush on her cheeks.

"So, who wants what?" Briar asks. She is used to hosting formal dinners. She goes to pour herself a glass of red wine.

The group begins to pour themselves alcohol. Though Vieira is unsure, she is handed a bottle of white wine and pours it in her cup. When she passes it to Tom, he ignores it and instead favours water. Evelyn also chooses not to indulge.

"I think that's cheating," Kai points out. "I think we're supposed to get a little tipsy before whoever comes is supposed to come."

"I don't drink," Evelyn says. Her voice cuts like glass.

"That men should put an enemy in their mouths to steal away their brains," Tom recites the passage.

Kai laughs it off, but he inside can feel himself cringe. Doesn't drink? Who are these people? Certainly, they won't last long. "I personally kind of want to try mystery vial."

"I wonder why it's in such a small quantity," Roman asks. They pick up the vial and begin to examine it. "It must be potent."

The door opens and in walks Poppy. She approaches the closet and hangs her coat, before joining in with the others. She takes a seat at the far end of the table, and sighs. "I take it none of The Divide have arrived yet?"

"We were hoping you might be them," Briar points out. Her body is poised as she takes a sip of the wine.

"Is that what I think it is?" Poppy asks. She gets up and leers over Roman's shoulder at the vial.

"What is it?" Roman asks, passing over the vial to Poppy.

Poppy takes the vial. "It's absinthe. Federally regulated. Difficult to get a hold of, but delectable. Care to try some?"

"Certainly," Kai interrupts their conversation, finishing his glass of wine quickly. With water in their glasses, the two uncork the bottle and add in a droplet. Kai looks at her and his eyes light up. Here is someone who knows how to have fun. "What's your name?"

"Prevost," Poppy says, and then smiles. "Poppy Prevost.

Then, standing amongst them all, Poppy raises a glass. She lifts it above her head and smiles. "To the Divide."

They all lift their glasses.

Tom realizes that, once again, everyone around him has more money than he has, and probably ever will have.

Jetta wishes she could be as confident or as self-assured as Poppy.

Vieira has not really drunk liquor before, but apparently, she is starting now.

Felix worries about the consequences of drinking on an empty stomach.

Kai wants the party to start, and he wants it to start now.

Roman glances at Tom, the only other person to have quoted tonight.

Ellie wishes the night would end soon since she wants to study first thing in the morning.

Briar's eyes scan Poppy, and she decides that maybe they are of the same calibre.

Luis keeps his cool, though anger bubbles inside him at being upstaged.

Ez huffs and to his displeasure, no one turns their head.

Evelyn looks around, following the others' lead.

~~~~~

I did it! Most of the relationships are in, so I figured I'd do some work! Sorry if your character has a smaller role in this chapter; there are so many to juggle. Also, I kind of filled in the gaps for people who didn't submit their relationships yet. If you could get those in by July 2nd, I would really appreciate it. Otherwise, I might decide who to axe first lol!

Happy reading!

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro