Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

"Good morning, Graham! Slept well?" his mother asked, her back to him as she flipped the pancakes.

Graham debated whether to broach the subject of breakfast or not. He decided to do so. After all, there was no harm in trying.....

"Mother, I have a confession to make. I am sick and tired of eating pancakes for breakfast everyday. Can't we try something else like cereals or waffles?" Graham asked as he sat on the stool.

Graham's mother turned slowly to face Graham, her face schooled into perfect indifference.

"Did you just say you don't like my pancakes?"

"Yes and no, mother. Look! Ever since I can remember, you have always made me pancakes. Everyday. Every single day. Without a break. I don't even bother asking you what's for Breakfast, because I know it's pancakes. And I'm sick and tired of having the same pancakes everyday! The same exact pancakes, with the same toppings.... It's vexing!" Graham rambled on, unable to stop himself. It sounded silly to himself, but it had to be done. He had to act as the voice of reason when no one else would do it.

"Oh! I understand! You are sick and tired of pancakes for breakfast, everyday! I get it! Pfft, totally! So does that also mean you get tired of me being your mother everyday? After all same mother every single day, right? Don't you get tired of me sweetie?" his mother asked in a voice sweeter than saccharine, her face still showing zero emotions.

"Ma- no! Why do y....." Graham trailed off when he realized what was happening to his mother's face.

It was, "Changing!" Graham whisper-yelled in horror, as he saw his mother's face vanish to a blank canvas before suddenly changing to another strange albeit familiar face. A sharp nose, a mole on the chin, beady little eyes that kept blinking, lips painted crimson...

"How do you like this face, honey? After all, you are sick and tired of your mother's face and food. Why don't I just keep changing faces, huh?", she still spoke in his mother's voice which made Graham feel sick.

"How about this?" the face changed to Jenna's face.

"I heard from somewhere that you have a crush on this girl!" his mother's voice sang, even though it was Jenna's lips that were moving, the body still remaining the oversized pajama wearing body of his mother's!

Graham tried protesting but his voice died down in his throat.

"How about this?" the face changed to that of his sister, Amy's. Pale, young and asleep, the eyes were still closed and yet the lips moved, talking in his mother's voice.

Graham took a few steps backward and stumbled, falling to the ground on his behind, but continued crawling backward in aghast.

"How come you never get around to spending time with your little sister, huh? Why does she seem to always be asleep? One can't be so tired of playing sports that they never even spend time with their brother.... Does she always avoid you?" his mother's voice served all of Graham's insecurities for his breakfast.

Finally, Graham found his voice. "Mother?" he croaked.

And suddenly, he was back on the stool, his mother's back to him.

"Graham! Are you okay", she asked, and when she turned, it was her own face, with the warm brown eyes, the laugh lines and concerned smile.

What just happened? Was this a vision? A foreboding? A daydream? Or did all that happen and somehow it's looks like it never did occur?

"Did something happen now?", Graham croaked in a shaky voice.

"Yes Graham. You fell down from the stool and sat back on the stool immediately, as if nothing happened. I hope you didn't get hurt!", his mother reached out her hand and stroked his head, but Graham couldn't help but flinch away.

"Where are you going?", his mother asked when he slowly backed away towards the door.

"I need some time alone. I'll be back soon!"

"What about your pancakes?"

"I'll have them later, Mom! Bye!", Graham got out of the house and kept running without looking back.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro