{3}

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

"I'm so excited about tomorrow!" Chenle enthused, a mouth full of chicken. "This will be the first actual party I've ever been to!" It was rolling around to six in the evening. Since we were all craving something to eat, Jisung, his friends, my friends, and I loaded up into three cars and drove to the nearest buffet.

Renjun made a discussed face at Chenle talking with mushed food in his mouth. "And we wonder why you aren't invited to things," he muttered sarcastically.

Jeno nudged Renjun's arm, but still laughed. He then proceeded to reach over the table with his chopsticks, going for a piece of Chenle's chicken. The next thing I knew, Jeno's chopsticks were flying through the air. Chenle actually smacked them right out of his hand.

"What was that for?" Jeno questioned. He was confused by the sudden move.

"My fortune cookie said I'm an angel, and to not let people take my feathers." Chenle picked up another piece to shove into his mouth.

"Chenle, those aren't feathers." Renjun covered his face with the back of his hand in shame. "It's cooked chicken."

"Who am I to stand in the way of fate?" Chenle, yet again, spoke with a mouth full of food.

Jeno's fortune cookie cracked as he pulled apart the two sides. "Mine says I'm gay."

Everyone had to cover their mouths to hold back the laughter trying to escape.

"Who are you to stand in the way of fate?" I raised my eyebrows towards Jeno, trying not to choke on the rice I just consumed.

Jeno just rolled his eyes, tossing the small fortune in the air behind him. "It's just print on paper. I bet someone put that on there as a joke."

"Wait, it actually says you're gay?" Mi-Cha asked, leaning against the table in curiosity and amusement. "I thought you were joking around."

Jeno nodded. "'The number 8 is straighter than you. Open your eyes.'" He spoke in a mocking, deep tone. "It doesn't matter. They're not real anyway. It was probably made while someone was drunk and had no inspiration."

That time, I did choke on my rice.

~ ~ ~

We all arrived back at the house after dragging Chenle away from the dessert bar. Jisung and I's parents were in the basement watching a movie, so everyone decided to head upstairs. I placed my hand on the railing, starting to make my way behind the stampede, but another hand caught mine. I looked behind in question.

It was Haechan standing there. "Do you want to go for a walk?"

A small smile formed on my face. I gave a quick nod before hopping off the stairs.

The air was chilled outside in the late October weather. I glanced over to Haechan, seeing his focus glued to the ground and his hands shoved in his pockets. The reflection of the setting sun shone in his eyes.

"Finally, time to just hang out... the two of us," he finally said, giving a huff of laughter. His gaze met mine for a second, before going back to the path we walked, winding through the woods in my backyard.

"It's been too long since we could." I hugged myself as a breeze blew by. It brushed against my exposed arms.

Haechan seemed to notice my chill. "Why didn't you bring a sweatshirt with you?"

I rubbed my arms, hesitating. "I was hoping that, maybe, you would lend me yours?"

Haechan let out a chuckle. "Why would I do that? Why would you hope for it?"

"Well, you are my boyfriend-"

"You literally have one of my sweatshirts already. I saw it hanging on the banister back at the house." We stopped walking so Haechan could turn towards me, laughter dancing in his eyes.

"But that one's been washed."

Haechan tilted his head to the side.

"It doesn't have your specific scent. You smell like a fancy forest, like birch or sandalwood, with a little roasted marshmallow." I shrugged.

"Okay, Hyunji." Haechan yanked off his sweatshirt, unable to hide a grin. He defeatedly handed it over to me. "You're lucky I have a long sleeved shirt on and I'm not that cold, or else I wouldn't be a happy camper."

"Thank you," I said, pulling it over my head.

"I mean, you could've asked for Johnny's sweatshirt instead."

I froze, narrowing my eyes as I finished pulling the sweatshirt over my shirt. "What do you mean?"

Haechan's once light face was now stone cold and staring off into the distance. The corners of his lips seemed to curve down like something was bothering him. He hasn't said much all day; this was the most he's talked. It seemed very unusual for him.

"What's wrong?" I asked, worry running through my voice.

"Jisung told me about Johnny coming to your house late last night." His gaze slowly matched mine. "Is there something going on between you two? Why would Johnny show up at your house so late, then spend the night in your room?"

I opened my mouth, but nothing came out. Shock built inside of me and anger clogged my throat. I swear, when I get back to the house, Jisung is so dead.

"Your hesitation isn't making me feel any better," Haechan told me after a couple seconds.

"I promise, Haechan," I started, taking a step closer to him. "Nothing is going on between us. We all know Johnny is gay, so there isn't even a possibility that he likes me, and I obviously don't like him like that, since I'm with you." I suddenly felt even colder than I was without this sweatshirt. "Johnny found Ten cheating on him. I was the closest house for Johnny to drive to and he just needed some kind of comfort."

"Comfort," Haechan scoffed. He looked away from my eyes and towards the now dark sky.

"No, that came out wrong." My hands flew to my forehead. "He needed someone to talk to. Imagine being in that situation, wouldn't you want to talk to someone?"

"I don't think I have to imagine. It seems like I am in that situation." Haechan took a couple steps back, locking his focus on mine one more time. "Maybe I'll have to ask someone for some comfort. Right?" Haechan scoffed, slamming his hands back against his legs as he spun around and paced back to the house.

I stood there, watching him retreat. My mouth slightly hung open, but nothing else could move. I was completely frozen. Please don't do this, I pleaded in my head. Please listen to me.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro