62 - The Weirdness of Ronald Weasley

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

I sat with my head in my hands wondering how it had got to this.

Albus had run away, and he had taken Scorpius with him. I couldn't help but feel that it was all my fucking fault.

"Have we searched thoroughly beside the tracks?" Draco asked Hermione furiously, as he paced up and down the meeting room floor, the panic in his voice evident.

It was the following day and neither Draco nor I had got any sleep. We had Apparated straight to the Ministry upon receiving Minerva's owl, and had not left since.

"Yes, we have searched once and are searching again." Hermione assured him, "We've got our best Aurors out looking for them, Draco."

And who, exactly, did she think I was? The fucking cleaner?!

"And the Trolley Witch is not able to tell us anything useful?" Draco pressed, driving his hands agitatedly through his hair.

"The Trolley Witch is furious." Hermione tutted, shaking her head. "She keeps talking about letting down Ottaline Gambol. She prides herself on her Hogwarts delivery record."

I blinked. What the fuck was she going on about?!

"Have there been any instances of magic reported by the Muggles?" I asked, trying my hardest to wear my Auror hat.

"None so far." Hermione answered. "I have made the Muggle Prime Minister aware, and he is filing what is known as a misper. Sounds like a spell. It isn't."

"So now we're relying on Muggles to find our children?" Draco spat, looking utterly incredulous. "Have we told them about Etta's scar too?"

"We're merely asking the Muggles to help." Hermione said calmly. "And who knows how Etta's scar might be involved but it's certainly a matter we're taking seriously. Our Aurors are currently investigating anyone involved in Dark Magic and-"

"This is not Death Eater-related." Draco sniped.

"I'm not sure I share your confidence..." Hermione replied, glancing around guiltily as she tailed off.

"I'm not confident," Draco insisted. "I'm right."

"I agree with Draco," I spoke up. "I- I'm fairly sure this wasn't a kidnapping. Not with the both of them gone."

"Have they any reason to run away?" Hermione asked, giving me a hesitant look.

"Not Scorpius!" Draco spat, "Despite the shit he's gone through, he's a well-grounded boy. He wouldn't do this without persuasion!"

I closed my eyes feeling utterly ashamed. It was clear what Draco was implying.

"Etta?" Hermione asked, looking at me, "anything we should know about Albus?"

Tears spilled from my eyes as I remembered the harsh words I had spat at my son.

"We- we had an argument the day before last," I sobbed, furiously wiping my face, "he got so angry with me, and I- I lost my temper and told him..."

A heavy silence ensued as my voice trailed away.

Draco didn't move. I could feel his eyes boring into me, waiting to hear what awful thing I could have said to my own son to make him want to run away - to take his son with him.

"What did you say to him, Etta?" Hermione gently coaxed.

I took a deep, shaky breath, not being able to look anywhere near Draco's direction. "I- I told him that were times I wished he weren't my son."

The room fell into a profoundly powerful silence. I slowly lifted my head and allowed my eyes to finally meet Draco's. His face was one of shock and disappointment- as though he couldn't believe I could do such a thing.

"If anything happens to Scorpius..." The threat in his voice as his eyes pierced coldly into mine caused a horrific tightening sensation in my chest.

"Draco," Hermione said, sensing the dangerous atmosphere, "you're tired, you haven't had any sleep. Don't say things-"

"MY SON IS MISSING!" he bellowed, his face turning positively puce as his eyes bulged out of their sockets, glaring at me.

"SO IS MINE!" I yelled back, jumping up furiously from my chair, my heart racing wildly against my ribcage.

I met Draco's look, both of us breathing heavily, the air between us charged with emotion. I just couldn't believe he was being like this, after everything we had been through to get here.

And then I saw the crumple of his face, and he instantly moved towards me, swiftly closing the gap between us as he gathered me in his arms, pulling me fervidly to him.

"I'm sorry, Etta," he murmured fiercely against my ear, his fingers tangling in my hair as he clasped me tightly to him. "This is not on you, I should never have implied that, I'm so sorry."

"It's okay," I sobbed, relief flooding through me as I embraced him back. "I know you're just scared; I am too."

"Look," Hermione said, sighing heavily, "emotions are understandably high right now - so why don't you both go home and get some sleep. I have all our best people looking out for them, there's nothing more you can do other than to make sure you are both fit and well for your boys."

I glanced up at Draco as his tired, exhausted grey eyes met mine.

"Granger's right," he muttered, leaning down to press cool lips against my forehead, "we need to get some rest. We're no help like this."

"Okay," I said as a small, sad smile tugged at my lips. "You go on, I just need to collect some things from my office."

Parting ways, I exhaustedly walked the corridor towards my office with Hermione alongside me.

"Etta... we should talk about it..." Hermione said gently.

"There's nothing to talk about." I said stiffly, really not wanting to get into what a crap mother I was.

"If you don't talk to me or Draco about it..."

"What is there to say?"

"What you said was obviously wrong - but - there are more factors at play here than -"

"Hermione, I'm grateful for your concern but there's no need-"

I stopped short as we rounded the corner and saw Ron standing outside Hermione's office.

"Ron?" Hermione asked, looking confused.

"Surprise!!!" Ron whooped, throwing his hands awkwardly in the air.

"What are you doing here?" Hermione frowned, "you're supposed to be heading the search alongside the train tracks. I just spoke to you."

"Does a man need an excuse to see his wife?" He said stepping up to her to kiss her firmly on the lips. "Hearing your voice made me miss you so much, I just had to Apparate here immediately!"

"I should go..." I said, cocking an eyebrow. Ron could be so weird at times.

"Wait, Etta." Hermione stopped me before I could walk away. "My point is whatever you think - the things you said to Albus... I don't think it'll do any of us any good for you to dwell on it..."

"Oh," Ron piped up, "you're talking about how Etta said sometimes she wished I- Albus weren't her son."

"Ron!" Hermione gasped in horror.

"Wow, Hermione!" I snapped, "you didn't waste any time in telling everyone!"

"But I didn't-"

"Better out than in, that's what I say..." Ron chuckled, cutting her off.

"We all say stuff we don't mean. She knows that, don't you, Etta?" Hermione implored, looking at me.

"Yeah, I suppose," I gritted through clenched teeth, still seething about how quick Hermione went running to spread the gossip.

"But what if sometimes we say stuff we do mean... what then?" Ron said, looking at me in a most peculiar way.

I couldn't put my finger on it, but there was something about Ron that was... off. Something not quite right. But I was too tired to really question it properly. And I was worried about where the boys were right this minute.

"Ron, now's not the time, honestly." Hermione huffed.

"Of course it isn't." Ron said, suddenly brisk. "Bye, bye darling."

Hermione started to head into her office but before she could reach the door, Ron jumped in front of her, blocking her way. I watched on in bemusement as she tried to step around him but was continually being blocked.

"Why are you blocking the entrance to my office?" Hermione asked.

"I'm not. Blocking. Anything."

She again tried to make for the door, but Ron once again blocked her.

This was seriously weird. I couldn't help but stare at the bizarre scene before me.

"You are. Let me into my room, Ron."

"Let's have another baby." Ron blurted out as Hermione once again tried to dodge past him.

What the freaking fuck?!

"What?" Hermione looked up at him incredulously.

"Or if not another baby, a holiday. I want a baby or a holiday and I'm going to insist on it. Shall we talk about it later, honey?"

And, as she tried to get into her office one final time, he blocked her with a kiss - a kiss she clearly didn't want, given as she was desperately trying to pull herself away from him.

"Ron-!" I began.

"Maybe a drink in the Leaky Cauldron? Love you." Ron said as he finally released her.

"If there's another stink pellet in there then Merlin won't help you." Hermione frowned, nodding over his shoulder towards her office. "Fine. We're due to update the Muggles anyway."

And with that, she marched off up the corridor.

I gave Ron a what the fuck look as he shrugged his shoulders and swiftly disappeared back into the office, locking the door behind him.

Sometimes I seriously worried about Ronald Weasley.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro