Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Hai aankhon me kamal uske,

Jab kalaam karte hain tou dil dharakte hain.

Saboohi

The door opened and Abbas stared at us with wide eyes before a grin made its way to his lips. His little eyes lighting up at the sight of us.

" Saboohi aapa is here."

He yelled before running inside. My heart slammed against my ribcage hearing the shuffling and shifting going on from inside. Jahan's fingers intertwined with mine as he took a step forward, practically dragging me through the door. My breathing picked up as we stepped in the large front room seeing various eyes now scrutinize us. I flickered my eyes up to see the family that had now gathered in the room. First I saw my uncle with the missing tooth, besides him was his wife with her eyes and mouth wide and with them stood their teenage children. Next was my aunty with her husband, from Islamabad, moma's only sister and the only person I liked in the family. Next were my elder cousins and lastly the lady I recognised lived in our neighborhood and was a dear friend of Moma. And then was Abbas who grinned at us.

My throat turned hollow, seeing so many faces but not one was my papa. I almost turned around to leave but Jahan's warm greeting halted me and then the room erupted into shuffling again as everyone greeted and welcomed us in. My eyes didn't move from Jahan as he shook hands with my uncles and then with my cousins. Making me wonder how he managed to look so composed and confident all the time. His aura, God, it was magic. It was so powerful and dominant, the kind of dominant that made you follow him without him even imposing it. Sophisticated and manly-

" Stare at me when we get home, your aunties demand your attention!"

" Huh!"

I breathed out blankly seeing the man hiss before he turned his eyes to the aunties that stared at us. I uncurled my fingers from around his. As he beckoned me with his powerful eyes and I walked from around him to my waiting aunties.

" You were gone for so long, where did you go?"

" What happened to your hand?"

" Why do you have the bandage?"

I remained tongue tied to answer them as they mustered all other questions my way. My eyes moved to the couch where I'd sit with papa and he'd tell me stories of my childhood. Stories of the childhood that was half wiped out from my memory. And I'd always be so impatient to know what I used to do when I was little and papa would patiently sit for hours and tell me stories that I never believed and at the end of the day, he would have tears in his eyes as he'd embrace me.

I still could not believe he was no more. He was such a big part of my distorted life. He was always there to hold me, to support me and push me back up so that I lived just a little longer to see his black hair turn into grey. And now that I looked at Jahan, I knew why papa wanted me to stay longer. He knew that there was someone waiting to show me how beautiful and quizzical this life was at the same time. And for this, I'd be grateful till the lasts of my breaths.

I leaned my head back against the head rest of the sofa and sank more in the cushion, hearing the distant murmuring of the women from around me. Their words barely falling over my ears as I hugged my legs more closer. Black and white memories exploring over the curtains of my mind.

Soft hands pressed onto my knees and I looked up seeing my niece, lean over me. Her soft features staring at me before she leaned closer to my ear.

" Khala wants to see you."

Her soft whisper broke cold sweat over me. As she referred to my sister and I gave her a quick nod before letting my feet touch the ground. My eyes automatically searching for my husband. Jahan was gulping down water and as if feeling my sharp gaze on him, he looked upto me.

I jolted up from my seat and moved towards him. He didn't say or ask anything as I walked past him, feeling him trail behind me. I walked in through the narrow hallway and past the library before turning in the opposite direction.  The dining room's door appearing before my eyes. I hesitated for a minute before giving a quick knock on the thick wood and opening the door.

The first figure I noted was the woman who stood up from the chair. Her eyes moving to me before they fell on the man behind me and then back to me. My jaw clenched just the slightest as I gave her a blank stare.

Over the years she had changed. Her body had turned a lot chubbier and she looked round. With thick eyebrows she had thick round eyes. Her hair were in a bun on top of her head, just the way I remembered. She had much rounder cheeks than mine. And full lips. A golden chain dangled from around her neck and another one which had her husband's name carved over it; Saqib. Her body sported a baggy polka dot short shirt with stripped pants.

All in all she still looked attractive, favorite of everyone. But she wasn't kind, at least not to me. I could feel the small sparks of flame she threw my way and I felt my composed self start to melt away with her nerving stare.

The man behind me stepped more closer, till I felt his shoes brush my ankles and his body heat wrap around me. Sucking in a deep breath, I flickered my eyes to Rubi and then at my husband. Seeing the man reflect a soft expression. Moving from between the two, I stood besides Jahan and spoke.

" Rubi, this is my husband and this is Rubi."

I said wiggling my hands, already wanted to cut in with the tension. Jahan greeted my sister, exchanging warm welcome with her and I mentally cringed. Moving forward I awkwardly embraced her. Feeling her go rigid under my hold as she muttered only for my ears.

" You don't miss me enough to drop a small message."

Ignoring her complain, I moved towards the other end of the room seeing my mother sit with her back to us. And my heart clenched knowing that she was in Iddat. The man was respectable enough as he stood on his spot where I had left him. I knew he wouldn't want to interrupt my confrontation with my moma.

Kneeling on the floor before her chair, I clenched my jaw feeling the tears brim the water line of my eyes. My eyes flickered to her pale yellow dress and then to the white veil she had over her head. Her face had thinned and she had her eyes fixed on me. I reached my hand to hers, skeptically. Seeing the woman hold onto it. Her lips quivered as she kept the prayer beads on the table behind her and leapt towards me. I gulped down my throat, holding her tightly in my arms.

Moma had never been affectionate towards me like she was to Rubi. And seeing her hold on me and cry, it made me savour whatever she was giving me. The soft fabric of her veil brushed my chin as I sniffed more of her motherly scent that somehow calmed my nerves.

" Why weren't you here Saboohi? He kept talking about you. He kept missing you. He didn't even call Rubi, he was calling for you."
The unshed tears now streamed down my cheeks and my heart trembled weakly.

" I am sorry Moma."

I could only manage to say. Minute later, I stared into blank space as I laid my head in my mother's lap, her fingers tracing my hair. The walls of her bedroom only contracting more with each passing second.

" I left my kids and husband to be their on the funeral and you being in the same province couldn't make it?"

I rolled with another dagger thrown my way by Rubi seeing her fume around the room.

" What is it that you aren't replying to me? Have you forgotten that I am your sister!"

I huffed silently and let her pour whatever lava she wanted to pour.

" Have you thought about what Moma would do when I go back? But wait- why am I even saying this to you. I wouldn't leave her for you to handle. You can barely handle yourself. I will fix everything for Moma myself. You don't have to worry about anything."

Moma shook her head at her elder daughter and I frowned as she spoke.

" Rubi, that's enough now. Saboohi has no fault in this. No one gets to live forever."

" Saboohi wouldn't even get a forever."

The other woman scoffed and my heart tightened.

" Rubi."

There was an underlying in her tone as she warned her daughter and then caressed a warm hand over my cheek.

" Did Jahan come with you?"

I nodded getting up. Wondering where was he now? Sliding myself off the bed, I walked to Papa's wardrobe and opened it seeing a few of his shirts hang there. Picking out the one with dark blue strips, I folded it.

" I should go now. Everyone would be waiting at home for us."

I stated quietly walking to the door, my hand halting on the door knob as my sister scoffed, her tone sharp and full with something close to hatred.

" Home huh!"

I spared her a quick glance before reaching for the door again. Hearing Moma interrupt this once.

" Saboohi stay till dinner."

I turned to face her ready to decline but seeing the soft expression on her face and tears lining her orbs, I nodded.

" Please."

I nodded and reached to the door before announcing.

" I'll speak to Jahan about it."

Reaching the end of the hallway I saw Abbas give something to Jahan, by what I could make out it was a newspaper and I walked towards the two. Abbas ran off seeing me while the other man stuffed the newspaper in his suit jackets inner pocket. I frowned and walked towards him.

" You wanted to read the paper?" I pointed to his pocket and he shrugged almost dismissing. I smiled as he reached his hand and caressed my cheek with his knuckles.

" Are you all right? How was your meeting with your sister?"

I scowled internally and dropped my shoulders.

" I told you she's bad news."

His throaty chuckle evaporated in the air as he casually leaned against the door frame of the front room. I leaned my back against the wall as well before speaking.

" Moma wants us to stay till dinner."

The man nodded.

" Do you want to stay?"

" I don't know. Do you want to?"

" I wouldn't want to say no and besides your uncle is very good about marketing his business."

He quirked his eyebrows knowingly and I giggled.

" I am sure he must have drained half of your energy my now."

" He sure ha-"

" Jahan."

A new voice cut in and I grinned seeing the man before me reciprocate.

" See! He's addicted to me now."

I giggled as he paused before turning away.

" Coming uncle."

He said before disappearing from my line of view.

" So, how did my irresponsible sister find a man like you."

I mentally cringed at my sister's question and tone. My eyes sweeping to see her hold the dish as Jahan washed his hands not very away from her. I looked curiously from the dining table seats as the man cleared his throat and wiped away his hands with the towel.

" I am afraid the question should be ' how did a man so imperfect find a woman like your sister' "

He easily walked past my sister leaving her stunned behind and a small jolt went to my heart sending a small smile on my lips.

Oh my Jahan, you didn't have to.

The seats started to fill and I flickered my eyes seeing my husband sit opposite to me now. The other family settling around us. Soon we filled our plates with food and dug in. Small conversation fell over us and the uncles joked about here and there. Until Rubi decided to flung herself in.

" I hope Saboohi doesn't shows you her prudent self."

The snarky remark made laughter erupt and my teenage cousin snickered from besides me. I tightened my hold on the fork and kept my eyes fixed on the plate.

" Saboohi has always been very selfish about her-"

" Yes I remember that one time on my wedding when she didn't let my sister wear those very pretty shoes she had."

Aunty participated and I felt shame wash over me. My skin suddenly heating up in a bad way.

" It's not like we mean bad for you Saboohi. It's just that you've pissed me off and I am saddened. Can you imagine aunty, she has barely called me in the past two years that I've shifted away from here. Her nephew doesn't even knows that he has an aunty."

Another roar of laughter erupted from around the table and I felt openly humiliated that too infront of my husband.

" Then I am sure you must have taken an initiative to bring the nephew and aunt closer together."

Jahan's voice silenced the laughter and I flickered my eyes up seeing his stern gaze directed to Rubi.

" I am sure you must have taken good care of Saboohi even when you were away. Did you?"

Another question was directed from the man and my heart plummeted.

" Look Jahan, it's all about-"

Rubi's words cut short as I quirked.

" Excuse me." I pushed back my chair and got my hands on the plate but the cup near the edge of the table fell to the floor loudly, my haste movements being the cause of it.

Various pair of eyes turned to me and I felt my sister mumbled something beneath her breath. Heat flooded my skin at the venture of the sudden attention and I bent down before picking up the cup. I looked up seeing everyone stare at me curiously and I forced the words out.

" Sorry."

My eyes settled on the cup in my hand and my ears filled with the familiar sound of another steel cup falling on the floor. My eyes flew to Jahan seeing him give an innocent grin to me before he bent and picked up his cup.

" Sorry."

He spoke giving me an unnoticeable wink and my heart warmed up. And this time when I left the table I was smiling from ear to ear with my head held high.

Everyone dispersed after dinner, uncles returned back to their homes and soon silenced followed after with only Abbas wiping away the dining table. Moma was in her bedroom where she had her dinner and I whispered a soft goodnight to her resting self. Jahan waited for me in the front room and I swiftly made my over to him.

" I can't wait to see your infamous bedroom."

He grinned and I laughed.

" Now I am nervous."

I joked before pulling his hand in mine and dragging him upstairs. The door to the right side led to my room and I turned the knob and opened the room, leading us inside.

" Wow, this is very girly."

Jahan said as he looked around making me smile. I had an average sized room, with white spotted curtains for the small window and a small cupboard at the end of the room. I liked my bed for the fact that it was a four poster one with thin blush pink curtains that fell around it. I had a shelf that was mostly filled with books from the library downstairs. I had a chester drawer set lined besides the two night stands of my bed.

" I am impressed, but what's with all the pink?"

He asked pocketing his hands in his dress pants. I shrugged.

" It was a weird choice at that time, I was in love with pink and this occured."

I smiled at my own silly answer. But it was true. Jahan seemed unbothered as he reached his hand around my shoulder.

" It still looks pretty amazing."

I smiled before looking up at him.

" I want to stay the night."

The man frowned and loosened his grip on me. Before nodding his head and offering a barely noticeable smile.

" Call me in the morning then, I'll come to pick you up."

He spoke, brushing his knuckles over my cheek and I shook my head. Before pulling his hand and nicely dragging his heavy built figure towards the bed.

" Saboohi."

He spoke shaking his head but nonetheless laid down making me grin before I rounded the bed and settled in besides him. My head rested over his button down clad chest, his suit jacket long gone. His fingers traced lazy patterns in my back as I yawned.

" Saboohi. You shouldn't let anyone bully you so openly."

He started and I tensed.

" I find it hard to defend myself."

My soft whisper breathed in the air.

" But you should never ever believe what they make up about you. You are stronger than you think and than they think. And you have all rights to decide for yourself. Don't ever let them hold you down."

" As long as you're there I wouldn't have to do it for myself."

I felt him place his chin for my head and he spoke this time.

" But I want you to fight your own fight, I'll be there besides you to support you but I cannot be the shield everytime. I want you to believe good about yourself and no matter how imperfect you be, you're still loved."

I smiled and my stomach filled with innumerable butterflies.

" Thank you Jahan."

I spoke, yawning again. His yawn followed after and I let the wisps of peaceful sleep lull me. And before I could loose all senses of sanity, I looked up at Jahan with a half eyelid open.

" Jahan."

He hummed brushing away a thick strand from my eye, gently.

" Don't leave me in the morning."

He chuckled, his chest rumbling and I felt him place a soft kiss atop my head.

" I won't, Saboohi."

And sleep sucked me out.

I wish another update comes soon your way!

😉😉

Till then<

Love,

_Hafsa♥

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro