9 - The winner takes it all

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

While I was running alongside the Seine, I could compare traveling by Cat Noir's staff and by Ladybug's yo-yo. The latter was much more suitable for me, yet the Cat's costume was better in absorbing jolts. I landed quietly nearby the Eiffel Tower. I hoped that Ladybug would find me before Juggler appeared.

"So, how did it go, Bugaboo?" I heard a whisper next to me.

"How are you feeling, Cat?" I asked instead, trying to read some emotions in Ladybug's eyes.

"I still can't believe in what I learned! Wow, it's really..."

"Just in case..." I began in a serious tone. "Adrien... In case you still remember Ladybug's identity after the 'Miraculous Ladybug' spell, never reveal your identity in public. Even if you want to protect Marinette."

That was all I could do to prevent 'Cat Blanc' storyline.

"You've started talking about yourself in the third person..." Ladybug smiled.

"Don't you have a feeling that you're talking to yourself when you're talking to me?" I asked instead to avoid answering.

"I'm sure I won't confess any of my feelings to you right now. That would haunt me till the end of my life..."Adrien-Ladybug joked.

"If only Plagg could see that... I think that would kill him..."

"By the way! Was he nice for you?"

"Of course! He was so cute!"

"Er... Plagg?"

"Sure. You know, he's a very sensitive little cat... If you can see through all those layers of sarcasm... And I think he's very attached to you..." I admitted. "OK, Cat! Let's go back to work. I'm going to sleep in my bed tonight, so let's get Juggler! Here you are!" I handed two miraculouses to Ladybug.

"What's that?"

"We need Alya and Nino."

"But... Hawkmoth knows their identities... Maybe we'll try to combine our miraculouses with..."

"No. I need them here. If my plan works, we'll defeat Juggler. Besides, Hawkmoth won't expect that we'll ask our friends for help. Please, take those miraculouses to them and hurry back here."

"But... Why me?"

'Because I don't know the address...' came across my mind.

"It was always Ladybug who was giving them miraculouses. Let it be as it used to be. Oh, just tell them to focus on their costumes to be different than before. To mislead Hawkmoth."

"Do you think it'll work?"

I was sure it would work. I had checked that on myself when I had to recreate Ladybug's costume as it was originally designed by Marinette. That should work when someone wanted to create a new one too.

"The costume is what you really want to, isn't it? If Alya and Nino take care of new outfits, we'll have a new Rena Rouge and a new Carapace... Meanwhile, I'll work on details of the plan..."

"I'll be right back, M'Lady!" Ladybug saluted and disappeared in the darkness.

I found a safe shelter and waited. After a quarter or so Ladybug came back accompanied by two new superheroes. Alya had loose hair that partly covered her face. Her outfit was different – it looked rather like a short flamenco dress than like an overcoat. Nino looked like a real Ninja killer – hooded and masked.

"Great!" I said satisfied. "Now, listen to the plan..."

"Wait a sec... What?" Alya interrupted. "Since when Cat Noir is the strategy guy? You've finally grown up to let him do this?" she asked Ladybug.

"Let's call it a compromise..." Adrien laughed.

"You haven't told them, Cat?" I was surprised.

"What should she..." Alya began. "No, wait... Why is Cat Noir calling you 'Cat'?" she asked Ladybug.

"I didn't know I should tell them..."

"It's crucial to succeed... OK, listen up... Juggler can move souls between bodies. He exchanged me with Cat Noir."

Alya gasped, and Nino half-grunted half-chuckled. I winked at Ladybug.

"We need you here not only for the mission, but also to mislead Hawkmoth about your identities. He must start thinking that I've found new holders for the Miraculous of Fox and of Turtle. Have you worked out your new names?"

"I'll be Jade Defender." Nino suggested. "I wanted to pay tribute to Jade Turtle."

I was moved hearing that. It was kind of symbolic gesture but so meaningful.

"I wanted to be Flame Dancer, but someone made fun of this name..." Alya said, narrowing her eyes ominously when she glanced at her boyfriend. "So, it seems that I'll be Flame Enchantress. But... I really miss Rena Rouge..."

"Let's keep it temporary..." I smiled trying to give her some comfort. "Now, focus! Flame Enchantress has to hide. You'll create an illusion where Ladybug and Cat Noir regained their bodies. Ladybug must convince Juggler that she broke his spell. Jade Defender will create a shield to protect the illusion from a new spell, because that will reveal the trick. I hope Juggler will take the bait and will focus on the fight with the illusion. Then Cat and I may try to take over his wand, baton or whatever it is... Ladybug, you have to call your 'Lucky charm'. Without it the 'Miraculous Ladybug' spell won't work and we won't be able to go back to our bodies. I'll try to destroy the akuma object."

"You think it's the wand?" Ladybug asked.

I remembered 'Cat Blanc' episode again where Ladybug couldn't find the object where the akuma was hiding. This time we didn't have a second chance. Not with Juggler... He was too clever.

"Honestly? I have no idea what else it could be..." I admitted. "So, let's get to work! Good luck, you all!" I said and then I added under my breath. "And... See you in the other life, Cat..."

We took our positions. I felt like a spectator. It wasn't anything weird for me, Lena, but for Adrien it had to be tough observing Ladybug and Cat Noir playing their roles. For the last half an hour he'd been calling Cat Noir by a name 'Bugaboo'. Now, he saw both of us doubled.

We didn't wait too long for Juggler. He appeared surrounded by dust, laughing at superheroes.

"Oh, my poor super-kids! You've recharged?" he scoffed at superheroes.

"Better! We've regained our bodies!" Ladybug shouted with satisfaction.

"What? No! It's impossible!" supervillain yelled. "I exchanged your bodies! You have no power to revert my spell!"

He swung with his wand but this time smoky spheres vanished when they reached a green dome created by Jade Defender. Juggler swore and tried to turned around to transfer himself under the dome. But he failed. His right hand was captured by Ladybug's yo-yo, and a second later his wand was caught by a red black-dotted lasso. I was watching, speechless, Ladybug keeping supervillain tied with her yo-yo while her left hand swayed the lasso to snatch the wand out of Juggler's palm and to passed it in my direction. Where that boy had learned that?!

Defeating Juggler was a mere formality. I summoned the Cataclysm and the wand turned into dust revealing the akuma. Ladybug captured the black butterfly and cleansed it. Seconds later we could see Thomas Astruc sitting on the ground, totally confused.

"You've saved me again..." he muttered. "Thank you!"

"You're welcome..." Ladybug grinned.

"I see you have new superhero-mates." Thomas noticed. "I don't remember those..."

"These are new holders of miraculouses..." I explained.

I didn't want to ask him if he liked the way I messed up his universe. He'd probably get upset and was akumatised again. But I could congratulate myself – my theory of a supervillain was correct. But Tikki would say that it was magic. All in all, I wasn't sure of anything anymore...

"Could you tell us, what happened?" Ladybug asked.

No, better not!

"The last thing I remember was a story... My assistant gave me that to read..." Thomas said, and I felt faint. So, now I knew why it was me... Thomas had to read one of my fanfics. Great... "That was the story about your fight against Oblivio... Re-written..."

Let me guess... 'Not so oblivious anymore'?

"But none of us remembers what happened that day..." Ladybug blurted out. Damn you, Cat! Neither of us! Not 'none of us'! We should keep Alya and Nino's identities secret!

"Er..." I cleared my throat and kneeled down next to Thomas. "Did you like that rewritten story?" I couldn't miss the opportunity to ask.

"Yeah. And that made me angry..."

So, I could die happy now. What a shame I couldn't put those words in a frame...

"Next time, please hire the author instead of sending her for a trip..." I whispered and winked at him. "OK, Cat!" I stood up and looked at Ladybug. "It's time for going home..."

My partner nodded and gripped the red lasso. She threw it in the air with the spell 'Miraculous Ladybug'. At the last moment, I saluted like Cat Noir had done so many times before and whispered:

"It's been an honour..."

I knew it worked, even before I opened my eyes. I just felt my own body. My face was hidden in my palms and I felt my husband's hand on my arms.

"Lena?" he asked me, and I could hear a tension in his voice.

I was so moved that I couldn't say a word. Instead, I fell into his arms.

"You got me. I have no clue what's going on here..." he murmured.

"I'm back..." I whispered happy. "I assume you had a little end of the world today?"

"You spent half a day in the bathroom, and then you were talking about Marinette, Tikki and Master Fu. All day long. I think you need a break from your fanfics..."

"Yeah... I think that too. But at first, I have to write the last one. You won't believe what happened to me..."

THE END 😉 

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro