010. boy-bonding time

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

KAEDE | HAYASHI

THE ART BASEMENT kind of match up to it's name.

Situated on the floor below the art wing, it was a large space for Art students to finish projects that were either too big or too delicate to be kept in the classrooms. Or in the rare occasion where they wanted a piece to be kept private if it was going to be submitted to a competition. Cai was usually found on the underground floor if he wanted some peace and quiet or to destress.

As we trooped down the stairs, our footsteps echoed in the vast space and the sensors switched all the overhead bulbs on.

The brick walls were painted a simple white that made the windowless-wing feel brighter than it really was. There was a brutalist feel with the exposed wires running along the high ceiling and pipes sneaking into each of the private rooms. Despite the unfinished look, when a vote was held, the art students were in favour of keeping the design the way it was instead of revamping it.

"Room three again?" Neo questioned, on his last jam donut.

Whenever Cai was usually holed up in here, he was in the only room with a window in. There was an unspoken rule that room three was Cai's among the artists. When the rumour had first started, he'd tried to make it clear that other people could use it too— but it had never stuck. Still, it meant that everything was in it's rightful place and Cai didn't have to reorganise everything every time someone used it.

The door opened easily under Neo's hand and I was taken aback by how Cai had managed ro make the room his and give it a different vibe to the rest of the wing.

Or maybe it was just the lighting. 

I still hadn't figured out where the room was placed, but in the center of the ceiling was a large circular window. Depending the time of day, daylight draped across different objects in the big space. With it being the morning, rays of light currently fell over the high tables Cai had pushed together to the far right that held different types of equipment.

All but one stool was stacked in a corner; the one he'd left out was by a blank canvas and tabletop to the left. On the far wall, opposite the door, was a large sink, drying stacks and a huge bin.

He'd arranged the room so there was a large amount of space in the center where most of the light fell. Usually if he was painting, he'd place his stool and canvas there and commence. Still, you could see Aerona's touch around the space in the Pinterest inspirational printouts she'd chosen to hang up on the walls. I spotted one by a bleak charcoal sketch of a lone wolf that said "don't tell anybody that the big bad wolf is a puppy in disguise".

I knew Cai's eyes had landed on it when one of those smiles played at his lips. The smile that seemed to ease his entire being and made his gaze soften. One that could only be caused by Aerona Prosser.

Neo and I busied ourselves with getting some stools without making the stack fall. Om the others hand, Cai headed over to the equipment table. By the time we had two free, Cai had moved the stool by the canvas over to the empty counters on the left. We joined him and sat on our chairs that were a reasonable distance away to not inhale any chips.

I looked to the tabletop to see he'd laid out a carving knife, sandpaper and a mat to do it all on top. He was out of his chair in the next moment to locate his finished crosses and pile of unused wood.

I'd always liked watching Cai organise so it didn't surprise me that Neo spoke up first. "How many do you have left to do?"

He didn't reply until he had both bags in his hand. "I don't know, fifteen? It won't take too long."

"How's Mama Howell doing?" Neo asked as he placed the bags on the table.

He smiled before leaving to get some protective gear: a dust mask, gloves and three pairs of safety specs for all of us. "Good as always, thank God. She's actually nearly finished her new clothes line."

Neo had opened the bag of finished crosses and was reaching in to get one. "The one she was collabbing with Chanel?"

I wasn't surprised he remembered; he seemed to have perfect memory about things the group's parents mentioned. It made him the favourite for our parents to talk to.

"Yeah." A sheepish smile broadened Cai's lips as he passed us the specs. "She's made this one piece with Aer in mind, said she wants her to model it."

I popped on the safety glasses, shifting my fringe so the strands didn't block my view. "Ronnie won't do it, she's too shy."

The other two hummed in agreement.

As preppy as she was, she didn't fancy being under the spotlight. I had my suspicions as to why but, as always when it came to her, Cai knew best.

He pulled on his gloves as he mused outloud. "That's what I tried to tell her. Like yes Mam, I agree that Aer should model since she has an undefinable beauty that would enhance the clothes. But I'd never force or advocate for her to do something she doesn't want to do. Still, Mam only sees Aer as the model for a specific outfit. There's months till the event so I hope she'll find a backup."

He tugged on his mask as he sat down and opened the bag of wood to get start carving. In the quiet lull that followed, I was going to ask when the debut would be but I glanced at Neo and found a site that had me flummoxed. I had to stare at him for a few moments to figure out what he was doing with the finished crosses on his side of the table ( stacking them into an even bigger cross ). I kept my thoughts to myself and instead observed Cai.

There was a quiet dedication that always enveloped him when he worked. Like he was in his own bubble and all that was within was whatever he was crafting in his hands. It was in contrast to Neo, who's only sign he'd chose English Language was in the notebook he sometimes carried around with him. It normally resided in a pocket of his and he took it out to jot down whatever lines of poetry hit him. But you could tell Cai was an Art student by his clothes— and what stained them.

It was far from uncommon to find flecks of paint decorating his cuffs or ink that bled black and blue across the tips of his fingers. Before he'd gotten his tattoos, his skin wasn't spared by his artistic lens either. When bored in classes, he'd cover himself in doodles that climbed up his wrist and faded against his pale skin, just for him to do again.

He was simply a brilliant artist; it ran in his blood and I had no doubt he'd become someone great like Mrs Howell.

"Okay, I'm sanding down the last one. We we can go after this."

I left my thoughts to find the counter littered with chippings and Neo nearly finished with his super cross. It hadn't taken Cai long like he'd said and before I knew it, he'd finished all fifteen and was transferring them into the bag Neo had emptied.

Cai's eyes fell to his construction effort and I caught his lips twitch. "Neo."

He sighed before complying to the silent instruction and dismantling it. "Can I keep one?"

A corner of the Welshlad's lips ticked up. "In what world would I say no to that? Kaede you can have one too if you want."

Neo spent a few moments picking out the "best one" for himself before passing me the bag. I didn't mind whichever I got because the message behind it was still the same: Jesus paid the ultimate price for our sins so we could have a relationship with God again like Adam and Eve had before The Fall.

I turned over the palm-sized cross in my hand, marvelling at its smoothness and clean cuts. "These look really good Cai, you might have outdone yourself with these."

Neo chimed in before he could respond. "Right? I'm gonna take it everywhere."

"Thanks guys." I didn't miss the pink that painted his face as he went about cleaning up and putting away the equipment he'd used.

Neo chuckled and gave him a swift slap on the back before he was out of his reach. "Pink cheeks, that's what I like to see."

Cai turned around and I could tell he was debating getting him back.

After a moment he rolled his eyes and headed for the door. "Let's just go."

I laughed with Neo as we followed the artist out the basement and back up the stairs.

"So you going to compete in the Christie-Rose Art Competition this year Howell?" Neo's question echoed around us as if we hadn't heard him the first time.

To compete, you had to be turning eighteen on the year of submission. It meant — despite how much he'd wanted to — he couldn't participate last year. It was a renowned festival which usually had a different theme each year. The judges who chose the winning pieces were also different every year but the impact of being picked was just as significant.

It was a surefire way for someone's art to be recognised on the global stage. Especially since the winners ended up having their work displayed in the Christie-Rose Art gallery in London for the Winter festival. I'd heard of St Everfields students who'd become protégés of leading artists and forgone education all together after winning.

Cai held open the door that led to the ground floor. "Of course I'm going to compete, I'd regret it for the rest of my life if I didn't."

I gave him a nudge as he closed the door after us. "You excited?"

"Course, I can't wait to find out the concept. I had so many ideas for last year's and I couldn't even participate."

"But you made a piece anyway." Neo grinned at the memory.

He rolled his greens despite the pink that had brushed over his cheeks again. "I had to cope somehow."

"Where'd you even put the painting anyways?"

I remember him basically living in the Art basement come December as if he was actually going to submit something before the deadline. The piece he'd made was a layered, multimedia oil painting of a girl in the clouds. Her dark skin had contrasted with the creams and gold of the sky she was sat in. I'd always suspected that the girl was Aerona but had never put the question to him.

I still didn't know how he'd made the painting look like it was straight out of the Renaissance period. His art teacher had asked if the school could hang it up in the entryway so it was one of the first thing visitors would see when they walked in. But he'd declined.

"I gave it Aer." He said it like it was no big deal as he led us to the Chapel.

I shared a look with Neo.

He was down bad.

"You could have had it hung up somewhere man, it looked mad good."

He shrugged at Neo's words as we turned on the last corridor and I sighed at the short journey. Maybe if it was longer we'd be able to prod him more.

"Well, she wanted it so I gave it her." He said it like it would be insane to not give her what she wanted. "It's hung up in her room so as far as I'm aware, it's in the best place it could be; under her gaze."

Neo and I shared a longer look at that. So he could say that without batting an eye but his stutter would come back fiercely if we mused about Aerona reciprocating his feelings in any way. Especially if we tried to bring up the things she'd done for him or the looks she gave him when he wasn't looking.

Cai's logic sure was something.

I had no clue of what to tackle, and neither did Neo, when we approached a wooden door. Unlike the others in the school, this one betrayed the old roots of the establishment and I could see it being used in the Tudor times.

We all looked at each other and by Cai's eyes, it was clear he didn't want to do it. I shook my head and Neo rolled his eyes and took it upon himself to knock. It didn't take long for the door to open to reveal a girl our age behind it. The latina looked familiar but I couldn't place where I'd seen her before.

"Hi Malacai, is this the cross delivery?" She had an easy smile on her face and glanced at the bag in his hands.

He nodded, passed them over and her beam grew even bigger. "Thank you so much for carving them! They would have came in late if we'd tried to order some online for the service this Friday."

She couldn't resist pulling out one to have a closer look. "And Aerona was right, your craftsmanship is truly amazing."

The ease that Aerona's name fell from her lips jogged my memory; she was a member of the cheerleading team that I'd seen now and again.

She turned her bright countenance onto Neo and I, only to spot the crosses in our grasps. "Oh, are you two Christians too?"

Neo smirked as he held his cross up to his face. "I wonder what gave it away?"

She giggled. "Well, I just wanted to know if you'd be interested in a Bible-study club. A few people in choir were thinking of starting one but we wanted to see if anyone else would be interested first."

We all shared a glance and I knew we all felt the same.

Still, Neo was our spokesman. "Yeah, of course. You have Howell's school email adress right?"

She nodded.

"You could send an email to him about the date if it's formed. He'll pass it on to us."

"Got it." Closing the bag in her hands, she dipped her head. "Even if a club isn't formed in the end, you can still use the Chapel space so come over if you're feeling down or looking for advice."

"We'll keep it in mind." Neo assured and I nodded in agreement as her gaze drifted to me.

She gave us a wave with her free hand before stepping back inside the Chapel. "Alright, tell Aerona I said hi and thanks again Malacai."

It didn't surprise me that he felt more comfortable talking with her now we were leaving. "No problem."

When the door shut after her, I could see the tension from his shoulders leave.

Neo dropped his hands on the broad space not even a moment later. "You gonna pass on the hi to Aeroplane with a kiss on the cheek? I know that's how the cheerleaders greet each other."

"I'm not being funny, you need to shut it." 

I kept my smile at his pinked face and non-answer to myself.

It wouldn't be a normal dinner if we didn't grill Cai on any developments with Aerona.

Childhood bestfriends since they were four, they'd basically been attached by the hip forever. They'd grown up on the same street back in Wales and even though the whole friend group frequented his mum's house, Aerona practically lived there.

The two of them had a unique bond that was built upon knowing the other's intricacies deeply. I'd never delude myself into thinking I was closer to Cai than Aerona was, not when they could have conversations that only relied on glances. Not when they could translate every twitch of the face into a story. Not when a simple thumb-swipe across his knuckle from her calmed him down.

But they weren't together.

"Have you told her your feelings yet?" Neo started off the interrogation hot.

Cai choked on his lamb stew, coughed and took a sip of water before he responded. "You're at this again? I thought you dropped this topic last year?"

Neo gestured to the both of us. "It's actually a we thing, and your argument at the time was "shut it"."

His greens narrowed and I knew he was holding one back. "Alright then. I've not confessed my bleeding feelings because— have you looked at the stats?"

Neo's brows swivelled to mine and I shook my head so he asked, "What stats?"

Cai sighed like his mind had already gone in the same circle time and time again. "Divorce rates for teen marriages. Like I know marriage is serious but I've always been about her. It's the only end goal I can see for us."

I wasn't surprised, he'd never been one to lie to himself or ignore his feelings.

He rubbed his forehead with a fist as he listed off stats it seemed like he'd memorised. "A third of teenage marriages end in divorce within five years. They're also two-thirds more likely to end in divorce within fifteen years of the wedding. Couples who get married at age twenty are fifty percent more likely to divorce than couples who wait until they're twenty-five. And Aer and I are only turning eighteen this year."

A pain I hadn't seen before surfaced in his greens. "I'm not risking starting a family with her just for it to be pulled away from me, for her to be pulled away. I don't want my kids to have to see a divorce firsthand like I did. I'll be patient, wait for us to mature first before doing anything."

Oh.

Having a glimpse into his mind really cast his behaviour in another light: he was playing the waiting game due to fear.

Not much would change his stance on the subject, especially since he'd seen the statistics up close. His parents were high-school sweethearts who'd ended up divorcing after he was born; an example that I knew he'd justify his decisions on.

It was silent for a few moments as we all thought before Neo casually threw in, "So what I'm hearing is Lorato isn't the only pussy around me?"

I snorted before I could help myself and Cai flicked a piece of carrot at the center of his forehead.

"Ew! That could have gotten in ny hair Howell."

Cai didn't sound concerned in the slightest. "You need help."

Neo pursed his lips but instead of starting a new argument, he clicked his fingers. "I actually do! I finally have the two of you here to tell."

I half suspected he was trying to change the conversation topic so Cai wouldn't feel too down in the wake of his confession. I didn't doubt tonight in the dorm we'd address it properly away from any prying ears.

Regardless, I humoured Neo. "Weren't we here yesterday?"

He slowly turned to me before blanking my statement.

"Anyways, it's about this one girl. It all started last year in psychology—"

"The class you kept skiving?"

His attendance was shocking for it.

He sniffed. "I don't skip anymore."

"Yeah Kaede did you hear?" I was relieved to see Cai manage a smile over his glass. "He's got a crush he wants to impress."

"Don't bring up your reality right now." Neo warned.

I had to stifle a sound at the low blow and glare he received in retaliation.

If Cai began ignoring him again, I wouldn't even blame him.

"Anyways. We were paired together for this project in psychology and I'll be honest, I was an annoying prick to her at the start." He quickly held up a finger before we could cut in. "But, I soon got my act together and we just. . .clicked. I've never felt this way about anyone before."

Cai couldn't resist slipping in a, "You sure about that?"

I chuckled but seriously, I'd never seen Neo talk like this before. He was being honest about his feelings and letting us in. His eyes had a rare light in them and his smile was so soft I wouldn't be surprised if he was daydreaming.

"Yes, I am." He tried to give Cai a look but it barely lasted as he let out a sigh as he rested his cheek on his fist. "I've found myself writing poetry about her; it's like my affection for her can't be contained."

It was half endearing to see how smitten he was— especially since he'd said last year that he'd hit some sort of writing block. Nana was definitely being updated about the new development.

Still, I had to bring him back to reality, even if he threw me daggers at my words. "Neo, you say this but you can't even find the guts to say hi to her when you see her in public."

"Oh really?" Cai's faux surprise made me hide a smile. "Guess we've got to add to the scaredy-cat count."

Neo rolled his eyes like he wasn't the one who'd started the joke. "Whatever. I went to God about her and His response told me she's the one."

Cai and I shared a mutual glance at his unprovoked admittance.

"Man," Cai was nothing but sincere as he leaned across the table to drop a hand on Neo's shoulder. "No offence, but you were a serial dater not that long ago, do you think you're ready?"

"I'm working on it." He waved a hand like it was nothing. "I won't let her slip through my fingers. Not when something in my spirit says she's it for me."

Coincidentally, in the aftermath of his statement, I caught the girls walk into the refectory.

Neo grabbed hold of the arm Cai hadn't retracted as the Welshman followed my gaze.  "You're not leaving us this time; you always do when Aeroplane's involved. It's boy-bonding time."

"Kaede?" He turned to me to defend him as if Neo wasn't right for once.

"Sorry lad, he's right."

He grumbled but didn't leave his seat when Neo released his hand. "I don't even spend that much time with her."

We let our silence speak and I chuckled at the colour that spread up his neck. It seemed like the sound had alerted Neo to my existence and he turned his attention onto me.

"So, do you have anything you'd like to share with us?"

My smile fell as my brows furrowed. "Like what?"

This wouldn't be good.

"Well, we're talking about the girls we like, where's your contribution?" I knew by his raised eyebrows he was alluding to Bambi-eyes and felt my face harden.

We were so not doing this right now.

"There's no girl."

"Um, well. ." His eyes jumped between Cai's and mine and I felt my jaw tick.

The urge to deck him was growing.

My expression must have betrayed my thoughts because he rolled his eyes. "Sheesh, keep your secrets then."

The tension in my shoulders dissipated but I didn't want to look in Cai's direction. I doubted I'd like whatever he'd make of Neo's words.

"But if I mention Odette Moetti?"

I should have never thought he'd let it go.

"That's it—"

But he grabbed my wrists before I could do any real damage and I felt my face heat under the weight of Cai's greens. Like he could judge at the state Aerona left him.

"Got ya!"

Cai had the nerve to laugh with the arse and I couldn't take it. "I don't know why you're laughing mate."

Cai didn't look intimidated in the slightest.

I felt my face grow hotter and the need to explain myself flooded my chest. "She's just. . . pretty, that's all."

They both went silent and stared at me like I'd gone and slagged off Nana.

"She's just pretty, that's all?" Neo parroted in disbelief.

Hearing my words thrown back at me made me tug my arms back to cross over my middle. "Yeah, that's what I said. Nothing too deep."

"Do you remember the last time you told us you found a girl pretty?"

I knew it wasn't intentional for him to bring up Reyes and make me think of all she'd done, but I still felt my chest smart.

I wasn't surprised Cai had made the connection too as he sarcastically said, "Nice jab Neo."

The dreadhead thought over his words before his eyes widened. "Oh shit, I'm sorry K. Didn't mean to remind you of that bitch."

We never called girls or women derogatory names but Valentina Reyes was the exception ( in Neo's eyes at least ). It was hard to feel positive about someone who'd destroyed your sense of self-worth, to the point you were still trying to piece it back together two years later.

I knew he didn't mean any harm and I didn't want him ruminating on her either— it would ruin the rest of our day. So I brought up Odette, even though it felt like I'd gotten the short end of the stick.

"Don't worry about it." I took a deep breath, hoping my ears weren't red. "But Odette is. . .pretty though."

I wasn't prepared for the whack on the back from Neo that threw me forward. "I'm not surprised we fell for girls who're basically sisters. We're brothers already but our marriages will officialise it."

Marriage?

My face had reached boiling point and I shoved off Neo's arm— not meaning for the force of it to send him tumbling to the floor.

"Scarlet for ya." In my anger, the Irish saying left my lips before I could stop it. "Is your retwist pinching your scalp so tight that you're loosing braincells?"

"Ow! And take that back!"

A couple of nearby tables looked over at the sound, but Cai acted like nothing had happened. I on the other hand, pressed my hands to my face in an attempt to block out any thoughts revolving around a certain swimmer and a wedding dress.

I didn't even know the girl. Bloody hell, I'd get him back for this.

"You two do know that you haven't shown me who the girl you're talking is"

I looked between the cracks of my fingers at Cai's innocent-sounding question.

He wore a fake frown that didn't last long with his twitching lips. "I need to put her name to a face."

I lowered my hands to eye him. "You only want to know so you can bully me whenever we see her."

He was silent for a moment as he took a sip of water before nodding. "You're right."

I barely had a chance to scoff at his honesty when Neo pulled himself up from the floor to put me in a headlock. "You little bastard, my future wife looked over and saw me looking like a right sod."

"You are a right sod," Cai and I chorused as I tried to escape his grasp.

He sent Cai the forth finger before trying to get me into a more secure hold. Still, my biceps were easily larger than his and I freed myself quickly. I was silly for expecting him to sit his pouting-self in his seat in silence.

Instead he pointed over to the table the girls were sat at and whispered to Cai, "It's the girl with the big eyes and a short 'fro, the one sat next to my wife."

"You have no wife." Cai lazily threw back but his eyes followed Neo's finger to Odette.

I lowered his arm before she looked over and caught us. "You don't need to bleeding show Cai."

"It's too late." Cai's grin made me narrow my eyes while Neo tried to get his hand back. "I found the girl you find pretty."

It didn't feel nice to hear my thoughts out-loud at all.

I mumbled as I gave them both dirty looks. "I knew I shouldn't have said anything."

"Well my arse hurts and you don't see me complaining."

I didn't spare Neo another glance.

"It doesn't matter because you're a pain in the arse to everyone else." Cai spoke off-handedly and I tried to keep my face deadpan at Neo's expression.

Cai stood up before Neo had a chance to retaliate and I was glad the conversation had moved away from me. "Alright, let's go do our bible study. We've spent long enough here."

I grabbed my empty tray and got up too. "What are we reading today?"

"I'm thinking first or second Kings, what about you?"

We began to head over to the nearest tray stack when Neo called after us. "No guys wait for me! I think I broke my tailbone or something."

I acted like I hadn't heard him. "Yeah, I agree it's been a while since I read about David's crazy life."

"Hello!"

EL SPEAKS !
  so sorry for the late chap! i can't believe i forgot to update last week and none of yall dragged me for it??? how else am i supposed to know i messed up 💔💔 next update will be next saturday so the schedule isnt out of whack

thoughts on the silly boy trio 🙈

reminder to click on the star in the corner to vote because it really helps my book reach more people 🙏🏽 ( plus are the rumours true that with the new update those who vote see the updated chapters first?? idk yall tell me )

anyways hope you have a good day/ night 🫶🏽

( posted; 07/04/24 )

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro