Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

There was silence. Aune swallowed, suddenly uncomfortable from the eyes that watched her. Dan nodded. "You're serious about this, aren't you." It wasn't a question.

Nor turned away. She watched him as he stared into the fire. The only noise was the fire and the wind.

Finally Ravi yawned. "It's getting late. Dan, you have first watch."

"Alright." He muttered.

The Blackwolf moved around, setting up camp, pulling out blankets. Kaye tossed Aune a blanket. "Here, wrap yourself up in that." Turning to the rest of the camp, she called out "Oy! I'm going to find food. If I'm not back by midnight, come looking for me." Aune sat up straight and stared at Kaye and how easily she had said that.

"Okay, Kaye." Nor called back, casually. "Be safe." Aune shook her head. The Blackwolf were crazy!

Aune's stomach grumbled. Despite the grimness that surrounded her, she still managed to be hungry. The last time she had eaten was last night, a rabbit's leg that Andras had killed.

Kaye returned presently, grinning and holding several fish. "There's a river out there, full of fish." She sat down next to Aune. "Have you ever gutted a fish?" Aune paled and shook her head.

"No."

"Well, you're going to learn, because I trust you and you're going to be traveling with us for a while, or at least until we can find you a safe place to live. Everyone here has to work for their food. Watch."

In a trice, Kaye lay the fish down, skinned, boned, and beheaded. Aune tried not to gag.

Kaye began to laugh, before she saw the look on Aune's face. "Hey, it's alright. It's what we have to do to survive. I'll bet you never thought about where your food comes from before this."

Aune shook her head again. "Is life all like this? Killing and capturing and fighting? I didn't know..."

Kaye smiled and slit the fish she was holding. "No. You just happened to be put in a not-so-good situation. There's worse, oh, far worse, but hopefully those will never cross your path. Here, try to gut this fish."

Aune saw, from the look on Kaye's face that she hadn't done it too well.

"Better than my first time, but you're still a beginner."

Once all the fish were roasting over the fire, Aune's mouth began to water. She was ravenous, even for the very food that had made her queasy a few minutes ago. Nor saw her and laughed. "Here, take the first one. You look like you need it."

"Thank you."

"Thank Kaye."

"Thanks, Kaye." I was the first time Aune had called any of them by name, and Kaye laughed.

. . .

Aune woke up in the middle of the night. Dan had gone to sleep and now Nor was keeping watch. He saw her rise and watched her. Keeping her blanket wrapped around her, she stood up and walked over to him.

Sitting next to him, she finally voiced what had been bothering her. "Why does nobody care that Kaye might never return when she goes out to hunt?"

Nor stared out into the surrounding darkness in the woods. "It's not that. She's my sister. I'd give up my life to save her. I'd kill anyone without hesitation that hurt her or stands between us. It's not that we don't care, but at some point in a life like this, you can't worry about things like that. You'd never be able to sleep if you did, and eventually you would go insane. I've seen it happen."

Aune thought about it. She had nobody to feel the same for. It seemed strange to be willing to give up your own life for someone else. "Do you have any family besides her?"

Nor nodded. Aune thought she could see a little smile on his face. "Yes. My mother and father, bless them. I was never made for a blacksmith's son and nor was Kaye built for a wife. We ran away, finally, and made our way to the Blackwolf's station. They refused, at first, to let Kaye work with them, but look at her now. We sent home money fairly frequently, because our folks were getting older. One day we risked coming home again, and it was if we never had gone." Then he added, in a more sober voice "I'd give up my life for them too."

Aune felt empty. She pulled the blanket tighter, and as she did, her hand brushed the bag that Zahra had given her. She had tied it onto her belt and forgotten about it. Curious, she untied it and pulled the bag out into the firelight.

"What is that?"

"I don't know. Someone gave it to me after Andras hurt me and told me not to let him have it. I never saw what it was." Cautiously, slowly, Aune undid the string which held the black bag shut. She turned it over and a wooden box fell out. The corners were reinforced with gold brackets. "She told me to open it when the time was right."

"How do you know that the time is right?"

Aune shrugged. Turning her face back toward him, she saw him turn away quickly. "I just think it is." She murmured. He turned back toward her, and watched as she lifted the lid. Inside lay a cushion of white cotton. Aune tried to adjust her eyes to the object in the box, but the firelight never settled on it. She reached out and picked it up. It cut her hand. She looked closer at the object. It was a piece of crystal, the same as the one she had found in the castle.

Nor leaned toward her, transfixed upon what lay in her hand. "I've only seen something like that once before. And that time, it almost took my life."

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro