Chiều cao dòng

Viewers, voters and commenters !!!

Love u loads! 😘

Anyways, Onwards!!!

"Words in double quotes" - Talking

'Words in single quotes' - Thoughts

(Words in braces) - Telephone conversations

Chapter 16 - Conspiracy

"Move, move, move!" Pragya, Purab and Shabbir hurried to get to the auditorium in time. However, they already knew that they were too late.

As soon as they reached the auditorium, Purab and Shabbir pushed open the double doors with full force and the three of them entered. At once they were assaulted with the roar of the audience. They looked towards the stage to find none other than Bulbul standing there with the mike in hand, and a big smile on her face.

"Di! Di over here!" Pragya looked towards the voice to find Kriti standing among the audience with Ria and Vivek. She moved towards them, followed by Purab and Shabbir.

On the other side, the college union members were seated together, including Karan, Tanu and Nikhil. Nikhil was also a member of the union and was the Common Room Secretary.

Tanu had noticed that Pragya was missing from the auditorium since the beginning. She had looked carefully, by could not spot her. That's when she made her plan.

Nikhil didn't usually attend such events in the college, but she had called him there and also told him to bring something important. She had texted Aliyah as well, and told her what to do.

Now, noticing Pragya's arrival, she signaled Nikhil to begin the first phase of their plan. Nikhil nodded and nudged Karan.

"Karan. We both know how important it is for us to show the judges that we have potential. But our best performers, Pragya and Shabbir, are arriving so late. Look over there."

Karan looked towards the direction he was pointing and noticed them."Hmm... I guess you are right Nikhil. I think I need to speak to them about it."

"I doubt it would be enough to make them understand their responsibilities." Nikhil took out the keys to the Common Room from his pocket. "Take these. All the cokes and bottles of juices for everyone are being kept in the Common Room. I think you should make them serve it. Its a fitting punishment - not too harsh, and not too lenient. Don't you think?"

Karan though about it and nodded 'Besides, we union members would have to distribute otherwise. Better they do it.' He took the keys and headed toward where Kriti and the rest were.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Kriti, tell me everything that happened."

"Pragya Di, the only thing that you need know is that Bulbul stole the hearts of all the audience and the judges! Everyone here are giving their best, but Bulbul impressed the judges so much that they gave her a standing ovation. She even beat Aliyah in singing!"

"I've heard Aliyah sing before and I know how good she is. Bulbul must have done fantastic if she was able to beat Aliyah." remarked Shabbir.

"He's right" Kriti affirmed.

Pragya broke out into broad smile "Really?!" when Kriti nodded, Pragya hugged her in excitement "I'm so happy for my Chutki Bulbul. I always knew she was meant for great things!"

"I know! Its sooooo amazing! Eeeeeee, I'm so happy for my bestie!" Kriti squealed.

Vivek held his ears "Please stop doing that Kriti. You've already ruined my hearing with your squealing from the time Bulbul went to the stage. At least have some mercy and spare me now! You're being so annoying!"

Kriti rolled her eyes and hit him playfully. "It's my bestie that's out there! I will scream until the entire world hears it!" she exaggerated.

Purab gazed towards the stage and looked at Bulbul affectionately.

"Oho, looks like your crush rocked her performance." Shabbir wriggled his eyebrows at Purab.

This caught Pragya's attention. "About that. Purab, I know you have a reputation of flirting with very girl you meet. If you think you can play with my sister, then I'm warning y-"

"Never Pragya. I would never do that with Bulbul. I truly love her Pragya and I would do anything...anything! for her."

"Does that mean you would let her go if I tell you that I want another boy to be her boyfriend?" Pragya tested him.

Purab thought for a moment. "I won't. I will fight for my love until the last moment. I will do anything and everything to win her heart. But....but if she ends up choosing someone else and is happy with that person, I won't try to steal her away. I want her to be happy, be it with me or without me. I will let her go with that other person, but I will forever love her."

Pragya could see that he really meant it and smiled. "I'm impressed Purab. I can see why Bulbul likes you."

"Ooops!" exclaimed Kriti.

When Pragya looked at her in question, she pointed at Purab's face.

Pragya turned to Purab to see him looking at her wide-eyed. Only then did she realize her error. 'Shit! I told him that Bulbul likes him, even before Bulbul had confessed it!'

"Alright gang. Wish me luck. I'm next." Ria spoke.

"Go rock the stage like Bulbul Ria. Good luck!"😏👍

"Kriti is right. Show them what you've got Ria!" 😉

"Thanks Kriti. Thanks Pragya di."

Purab was still in shock from learning that bulbul liked him back. However, before Purab could question Pragya further, Karan approached them. "You three. Where were you? Didn't you know that you had to show up on time? We could have all been in trouble if it wasn't for Bulbul. If those judges had been disappointed, all the performances could have been cancelled."

"We're sorry Karan. We never wanted to jeopardize the selections. But we got into a situation and couldn't get out of it in time."

"You should be happy I'm your friend Pragya. If anyone else was the General Secratery, you would have been disqualified. I'm also forgiving Shabbir and Purab for your sake. But this is the last and only time. Remember that." he spoke with authority.

Shabbir scoffed "As if anyone has the power to disqualify me."

"Listen here Shabbir, don't thi-" however, Karan was interrupted by Purab.

"Karan wait. No need to argue with him. We understand our mistakes and we will make sure it doesn't happen again. Forget Shabbir. I'll handle him."

Karan nodded and took out the keys. He handed them to Pragya."These are the keys to the Common Room. Go now and bring the cokes and juice bottles for everyone here."

"What?! Why? That's not my job!"

Karan smirked "You three arrived late. Although I'm letting that go, doesn't mean that I would not give you any punishment. So you three will now act as waiters and hand everyone drinks." saying that, he went away.

Pragya looked at him go in irritation. She looked at the keys and sighed "Guess we need to make up for being late."

"He's not the boss of me. I'm not doing anything." Shabbir spoke.

"We must take responsibility for our actions. Will you ever grow up!?" Pragya huffed out in anger and left.

"Wait di! I'll help you." Kriti rushed after Pragya.

Shabbir saw Purab about to follow them, and blocked his way "You aren't seriously going to do what that Karan said, are you?"

"Bro, Pragya is my about-to-be girlfriend's sister. No way am I upsetting her." Purab went after Pragya and Kriti. Together they headed for the stairs to reach the Common Room.

Shabbir watched them go "Fine! Do what you want." He moved to a seat and concentrated on the last of the performances on the stage.

Elsewhere, on the otherside of the auditorium, Karan came and sat down in his seat.

"Did you get them to agree?" asked Nikhil.

"You had any doubts that I wouldn't be able to get them to listen?"😏

Nikhil chuckled "Of course not. Good job."

Tanu smirked. 'You have no idea how much you helped us Karan, although it was done by you unknowingly. My plan is working just as I hoped. Now to begin the second phase.'

Tanu got up and excused herself. Soon, Nikhil made an excuse and he too went out.

When he reached Tanu, he saw Aliyah approach them from the other side.

Aliyah crossed her arms over her chest. "Tanu, I hope you have a good reason for texting me to spoil my own song."

Tanu smirked "Of course I do. If you didn't do that, then how would Bulbul become the best? And for my plan to work, she must get the title of being the best here."

"What do you mean?" Aliyah asked, confused.

"Nothing. All you need to know is that we are really close to achieving our goal. Come with us." saying that, Tanu led Aliyah towards the stairs, with Nikhil following behind.

#Common Room#

Pragya unlocked the Common Room and entered along with Kriti and Purab.

"Well, lets get to work!"

"Yep!" Kriti exclaimed chirpily. Pragya noticed that Kriti seemed extra happy for some reason.

"Kriti, apart from Bulbul, there is also something else that has got you so happy, isn't there? What is it?"

"Di, one of the judges is my father." Kriti smiled a nostalgic smile "Di, its been a long time since my father admired me for anything. I remember how he refused to allow me to pursue my computer studies and hated me for it. But today, father himself praised me for Karan and my project. It means the world to me Pragya Di. I... I can't tell you go happy I am!"

Pragya smiled "That's good to hear Kriti."

Pragya began opening the crates and put out the cokes and juice bottles. Purab and Kriti grabbed some of them and headed out. Pragya got busy opening the other boxes.

Tanu, Nikhil and Aliyah hid behind a pillar so that Purab and Kriti doesn't notice them. Once both of them passed, they moved towards the Common Room and peeked inside.

"Alright Aliyah. Now your job starts. You need to bring out Pragya and keep her distracted, while me and Nikhil do our work."

"First tell me what you are planning to do." Aliyah asked them. She trusted them a far as she could throw them.

"Oh come on Aliyah. Learn to have some trust. Besides, the only thing that should matter to you is that Bulbul will be away from Purab."

Aliyah looked at her in suspicion, but nodded. She stood outside the room and called Pragya's name.

Pragya turned to look towards the door. "Aliyah? Did you need something?"

"Um... Can I talk to you for a moment Pragya. Please?"

"Sure Aliyah." Pragya smiled at her and moved out to talk to her.

Tanu and Nikhil took the chance to get inside.

"Pragya I... I wanted to apologize for how I behaved with you earlier. I shouldn't have spoken that way." And indeed she really meant it. It was true that she was keeping Pragya distracted as per the plan, but she really meant the apology. Aliyah understood that Pragya didn't mean her any offense. She had adviced her as a friend. But that didn't mean that she would leave Purab.

"Its okay Aliyah. I understand."

As Aliyah kept talking to Pragya, Tanu and Nikhil were searching for a particular crate. Tanu finally found it and asked Nikhil to open it. Once opened, Tanu threw out all the coke bottles from it, except one."Did you bring what I asked for Nikhil?"

Nikhil nodded and took out a tiny vessel from his pocket. Tanu opened the cork and emptied its contents in the bottle of coke."Once Bulbul drinks this, she'll no longer be in our way. I'll be killing two birds with one stone."

"I understand that you're going to poison Bulbul, but how will you take care of Prgaya?"

"I'll make her go give this coke to Bulbul. That way, she will be arrested for trying to poison her sister."

She smirked an moved towards the table. She took a tray and place the bottle on it, with a badge beside it."Go tell Aliyah that her part is done."

Nikhil moved out and nodded towards Aliyah. He silently went away from there.

"Okay then Pragya. See you later." Aliyah bid her goodbye and left the place. Once Pragya re-entered the room, she found Tanu there. Tanu acted as if she had just arrived.

"Listen here Pragya. See this tray? It contains a badge which we Union members had decided to give to only the best performer, which happens to be your sister. Make sure to give it to her." Tanu strolled out of there, handing Pragya the tray.

'What an arrogant girl! She talks to me like I'm dirt. I wish I could punch her. Lets see how she acts all haughty then.'

Pragya grabbed the tray and headed out. However, she found Abhi there, looking towards her. 'Abhi! I need to talk to him.'

She saw Kriti coming back to take out more cokes and approached her. "Kriti, take this badge and this drink to Bulbul. This badge is only meant for the best performer."

Kriti nodded and took the tray from her. Pragya turned back to Abhi "Abhi, I'm really sorry for earlier. I didn't mean to leave you."

Abhi remained silent. Pragya pleaded to him "Abhi please. Scold me, hit me, but please don't stop talking to me. You're someone important to me. But the situation was such that I had to leave."

"You shared whatever the matter was with Shabbir, but couldn't share it with me?"

"Trust me Abhi. I would never hide anything from you on purpose. Please Abhi, trust me. You are a valuable friend and mean a lot to me." Pragya tried to make him understand. 'Shabbir said you and Aliyah could be in danger if you know of the chip. If it wasn't for that, I would have told you everything. I have complete trust in you, but I can't tell you the truth now.'

Abhi slowly let you a smile."Alright. I guess I could let it go for once. I was thinking you left me there like that because I didn't matter to you at all. Now that I know you consider me as someone important to you, I know that you will tell me the truth eventually."

"There is a reason for what I did. You don't know how bad I feel hiding things from you. But its necessary. Please don't misunderstand me."

"On one condition. You will let me hear you sing again." Pragya smiled at him and nodded. 'You're a great friend Abhi. I'm lucky to have met you.'

"Let me help you take those bottles." saying that, both Abhi and Pragya got to work.

#Auditorium#

Once Aliyah reached the auditorium, she started questioning Nikhil what Tanu did. He wouldn't tell her and was about to leave, when she jekred him back. Accidentally, an empty vessel fell of his pocket. Aliyah picked it up and her eyes widened on seeing the label.

"You.. You poisoned Bulbul's drink!? How... How could you? I never thought you both would go to that extent! I'll go tell them the truth right away." spoke Aliyah.

Nikhil smirked "Sure. Go and tell how we poisoned Bulbul's drink. Your father is there too, isn't he? I would love to watch his reaction when we tell him that you helped us with our plan."

"I never knew you planned to poison her!"

"But they won't believe you. Everyone knows how much you hate Bulbul. They would believe it in no time if we tell them it was your plan all along." He pointed a finger at Aliyah "Keep quiet. Else we will trap you too. Its better you understand it well." saying that, he went away. Aliyah was close to tears. She didn't know what to do. She went inside the auditorium feeling helpless.

Unknown to both of them, Ria had heard them talk. Ria was moving towards the washroom, when she had heard someone mention Bulbul's name. She paused to listen to them and heard them talk. However, when she rushed to see their faces, they had already left and she failed to see their faces. 'What do I do. What do I do?!' She rushed inside the auditorium.

When Pragya and Abhi reached the auditorium, she told Abhi to start distributing from the left, while she took the right.

She was giving out the cokes, when someone came and pulled her outside. She was about to shout at that person, when she saw it was Ria, Kriti's classmate. She looked like she had been crying.

"Pragya di I... I never imagined someone would go to that extent. They plan to kill Bulbul."

The tray dropped from Pragya's hands. She grabbed Ria's shoulders and shook her "What do you mean? Ria, what do you mean!?"

Ria stammered, but told Pragya that someone had poisoned Bulbul's drink. Pragya looked towards the auditorium to find Kriti heading towards Bulbul. Now she understood why Tanu readily offered the badge and the drink to Bulbul.

"Pragya di, we need to save her. Let's go."

However, Pragya held her back."No. We can't go and shout out the truth. It would be Kriti who would be caught." Pragya still remembers Kriti's words.

"But today, father himself praised me for Karan and my project. It means the world to me Pragya Di. I... I can't tell you go happy I am!"

Pragya was in a fix 'If I go and shout out that Bulbul's drink is poisoned, Kriti would be blamed. Her father is here, and if all this happens in his presence, he will hate Kriti again. She would be completelly broken! Not to mention the fact that she might get arrested too! Also, there is no way I can prove it was Tanu. I need to find a way to save Bulbul as well as Kriti from danger.'

She finally came to a conclusion. 'I guess.... I guess there is only one way left now.'

"Ria, wait here. And when I come out, you need to be able to help me, alright?" without waiting to her reply, Pragya moved towards where Bulbul was. She saw Purab, Shabbir, Vivek, Karan and Abhi standing near Bulbul, congratulating her.

Pragya reached them while Kriti was handing Bulbul the drink."Won't you raise a toast to your elder sister Bulbul?"

Bulbul turned to her with a smile"Of course Di. Why not!?"

Pragya smiled and picked up the coke bottle. She knew there was poison, and she might die if she drinks it. However, that was the only possible way to save both Bulbul and Kriti. If she drank it and pretended to be well, then no one would know of it being poisoned. Bulbul would live and Kriti wouldn't become the convict.

"For your success" saying that, Pragya took a gulp of the drink.

"For such great talent" she took another gulp. Likewise, she took a gulp on each phrase.

Aliyah, on the other hand, was trying to think of a way to prevent everything. She gasped when she saw Pragya drink the poisoned drink. Pragya slowly drank all of it, and put the empty can on the table. Aliyah looked at Pragya's eyes and found acceptance there. It was as if she... 'She already knew there was poison in it. Then why... Why is she doing this!?'

Aliyah looked down, ashamed 'All of this wouldn't have happened if I didn't help Tanu. What have I done? What have I done!?'

Pragya could feel the poison spreading through her system. Her throat hurt from consuming it. It felt like something was suffocating her and preventing air from going into her lungs. She felt hot and cold at the same time. However, she put on a smile for Bulbul.

"Aww Di, you drank it all. I guess you were really thirsty."

Pragya held Bulbul's cheek and spoke "Always remember that your Di loves you Bulbul."

Bulbul looked at her quizically"Di, why are you being so emotional? Rulaogi kya?"

Pragya could feel the pain increasing "I... I'll be right back Bulbul."

Bulbul nodded and Pragya turned to look at her friends.

Karan, Abhi, Vivek, Shabbir, Purab and Kriti... She had known them for only a little time, but she felt lucky that she got the opportunity to meet them in life. She slowly moved away from there. She could hear Kriti speak to Bulbul.

"Bulbul, sing me the song 'If I die young' please! You know how much I love that song."

Pragya heard Bulbul sing as she moved away.

"🎶If I die young, bury me in satin
Lay me down on a bed of roses
Sink me in the river at dawn,
Send me away with the words of a love song... 🎶 "

Pragya could feel darkness surround the corners of her vision. However, she refused to give in until she was fully away from their sight. She found it ironic that Bulbul's words matched her state.

" 🎶 The sharp knife of a short life
Well, I've had just enough time...🎶 "

She reached the door and held on to it. She coughed and could see blood come out of her mouth.

Samay and Sumit's faces flashed in her mind, as well as of her mother and sister. Once outside, she saw Ria turn to her and gasp.

"🎶 A penny for my thoughts, oh, no, I'll sell 'em for a dollar
They're worth so much more after I'm a goner
And maybe then you'll hear the words I been singin'
Funny when you're dead how people start listenin'... 🎶 "

(Song: If I die Young by Band Perry)

Bulbul's beautiful voice and Ria's panicked cries were the last things she heard before darkness finally pulled her in.

If you liked this chapter, please consider giving a vote.

Thanks! ~ 🌹 Mona 🌹

To be continued...

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro