Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Arguing was apparently the most common thing in the Original family.

"We can't just not tell Elijah that Jenny is alive, Nik," Rebekah argued with Klaus. "You know how he feels about her."

"Yes, I do," he argued back. "Which is why I know he'd come running right back here and leave my child defenseless. Is that what you want, Rebekah?"

"No," Rebekah crossed her arms and sulked. "But I don't agree with this."

"What's a little more time, sister, when we have forever?" Klaus responded before smirking. "And don't worry, she'll be under my protection."

"Because that makes everything better," she replied before calling Elijah.

_____

Rebekah directed her through the Abattoir to an empty room. "So you'll stay here and try not to leave the place. Elijah will throw a fit if you get so much as a paper cut."

Jenny paused for a moment when they passed his room. All she could remember was when she told him goodbye.

Rebekah stopped when she noticed Jenny wasn't following and she studied the newly alive girl. She looked so...sad. It was so odd to see.

Jenny turned her attention back to Rebekah, "Where is he?"

"Away," Rebekah answered cryptically as they started walking again.

Jenny furrowed her eyebrows, "With Hope?"

It was Rebekah's turn to stop and look at her with wide eyes, "How do you know that?"

"Yes, I'd like to know that as well," Klaus made his presence known. Again.

"How the bloody hell is she alive?" Klaus asked once he saw her beside Rebekah when they arrived.

"She hasn't told me yet," Rebekah answered.

His presence then had been kind of...generous. Like he had been relieved to see her. But now she could sense it was hostile.

"Well, when you're dead, there's not much to do but...watch," she avoided their eyes as she sighed. "I mean, that's what ghosts do. You guys have so much family drama by the way."

"Tell me something I don't know," Rebekah stated. "Wait till you hear the latest drama."

"Even if you did learn it in your time with the dead," Klaus said. "Your knowledge of Hope cannot leave here."

"Come on, Nik, she's practically family," Rebekah urged.

"I understand," Jenny looked at Klaus. "Go on. Compel me."

Rebekah frustratedly sighed as Klaus stepped forward to look Jenny in the eyes. Jenny saw his eyes dilate and she felt hypnotized.

"Your knowledge of my daughter being alive will fade from your memory until I say otherwise," Klaus compelled.

She repeated his words.

"Well, now our secrets are safe," Rebekah grabbed her arm to pull forward. "So there's no need to worry, Nik."

Klaus let them go and Rebekah showed her to the room she'd be staying in.

_____

Waiting.

It was so easy for her. She laid on the futon in her room and stared at the ceiling. She hardly had an appetite since returning back to life. Rebekah had instructed her to stay out of the drama that was currently happening. So she did. It wasn't like she could do anything to help anyway...or so she thought.

There was a small library in her room but she had no desire to read. She had no desire to do anything besides waste the minutes of her life thinking about one face as the sunshine of the day wiped her fears of the darkness away.

Maybe she was too terribly dependent on him. But wasn't it love to feel lost without someone? It hurt so much inside that she felt numb and she fell asleep to melody of waiting and missing and hoping.

______

Jenny finally called Damon after getting a new phone and assured him everything was alright. She was now currently in the kitchen eating a couple grapes.

There were people in and out of the house. Apparently, there was going to be a wedding.

"I hope you've made yourself at home," Klaus leaned against the doorway as she put the grapes away.

"Rebekah told me to," Jenny replied. "But thank you. You've been weirdly un-Klaus like."

Klaus smiled, "I've come to tell you the good news that my brother will be returning today."

Her heart leaped into her throat as she walked past him and she was unable to talk. He caught up to her and she felt a dull sensation on her back and she looked next to her, realizing he had his hand on the small of her back. It was so jarring that she could see his hand but not feel it.

"I expected more of a reaction. Perhaps a smile that you're so known for," he teased.

She changed the subject and pushed his hand away, "So there's a wedding today?"

"Hayley is getting married today," Klaus answered.

Jenny completely stopped in her tracks and her heart plummeted, "Oh."

Klaus furrowed his eyebrows before he realized what went through her head and he spoke softly, "Of course she's getting married to some wolf I don't particularly like."

She felt like her heart stopped and then started beating again. She started walking again and rolled her eyes, "You hardly like anyone, Niklaus."

He nearly paused in his steps as she used his full name. He guessed he should've expected it. Jenny and Elijah were alike in that they were so reformed.

"You know, I expected a little more anger from you," Klaus stated as they made their way up the stairs. "I distinctly remember a strong right hook the last time I saw you."

"I spent two years in..." Jenny paused in her thoughts and in her steps as Klaus studied her. There was so much grief woven onto her face. But she covered it up. "What mattered then doesn't matter now."

Anger only brought misery, she thought. And she already had plenty of that without being angry over things she couldn't change.

Jenny stood outside her room now. She looked up at him. "You don't mind if I skip the wedding?"

He smirked, "Not a fan of the bride?"

She rolled her eyes, "I just don't have the energy to fake a smile."

He frowned. So much had changed about her except for her blunt honesty. That hadn't.

"It's probably preferable. It wouldn't be good to have a jealous bride," Klaus responded with a smirk.

"I'm sure that's not true," she said and entered her room.

It was though. Hayley was infatuated with Elijah, a man that she tried so hard to have him fawn over her. He could only imagine the green-eyed beast when Hayley saw how easily Elijah fawned over Jenny.

"I'll send Elijah to you when he returns," he smiled.

She swallowed nervously and nodded.

_____

While Jenny and Klaus walked through the house, Hayley glimpsed the two of them. She stopped in her tracks and her jaw fell open. No one even told her that Jenny was alive.

She watched how Klaus doted on her, even giving Jenny a genuine smile like she was already family. It was so different to her relationship with Klaus and how they antagonized each other every chance they got practically. She imagined if Klaus had his way that Jenny would take her place.

Jenny would be understanding and wouldn't challenge him. Klaus would prefer it that way.

Then Hayley thought about how Elijah and their talk when she told him she was getting married.

"I have to marry Jackson."

Hayley was hoping Elijah would fight for her or something. Hoping he'd tell her that what they had meant something. But that wasn't what happened.

"I'm glad," Elijah informed. "Hayley, I can't be the man you want me to be."

"I know," Hayley nodded with tears in her eyes; she was in love with a man that didn't love her. "I suppose all my life I was looking for family. And I thought that if you loved me at least half as much as you did her, that would be enough. That's why I'm marrying Jackson."

"He'll be good for you."

She never felt more rejected.

Hayley was satisfied with Jackson and knew that he loved her, so much. It should've been enough but unrequited love was a bitch. Because there was a part of her that wanted to know what it would be like to be loved by Elijah.

There was the saying, you always want what you can't have.

_____

Jenny waited some more. In that time, Rebekah dropped in to check on her.

"I have to go help Kol," Rebekah spoke. "So I won't be here when Elijah returns."

"I wish I could see it. The look on his face will be priceless," Rebekah sighed out like she was talking about a fairytale. She left shortly after.

In fact, everyone did. Everyone tried to make her feel like she was soaring but all she felt was an endless fall. Dread.

She didn't know why she did but she couldn't help it. She was nervous because the only one that knew how Elijah felt was Elijah himself.

In fact, as the hours ticked by she got more and more scared. Her heart beat was elevated and she felt like she couldn't breathe.

To try to distract herself, she checked all the books on the shelves.

____

Elijah had come back and returned Hope to Hayley. Klaus was smiling which always spelt out trouble (but apparently not this time).

"Brother, there's someone you should see upstairs."

"You sound positively enthused, Niklaus," Elijah looked at him warily. "I suppose I should be worried."

Klaus rolled his eyes. He was rather happy Jenny was back. There would no longer be anything between Hayley and his brother.

"Trust me, Elijah," Hayley backed Klaus up. "You'll want to see who it is."

He furrowed his eyebrows before looking at Klaus, "I'll believe I can find whoever it is myself then."

"It's a happy surprise, brother," Klaus said as Elijah moved to go upstairs.

____

Once Elijah was upstairs, he heard the whisper of a heartbeat that he followed to an open doorway. He stopped completely as his eyes landed on her. Her back was turned as her hands glided across the spines of the books on the shelves.

It was something she'd done countless times before with him. He'd never asked but he believed it gave her comfort to know so many stories lied in front of her to distract her from her own.

He'd hadn't seen her face but he'd know her anywhere. He knew her form and the way her hair fell; even her breathing was something he could pinpoint in a room.

The sound of his footsteps made her turn towards him. He swore his heart stopped the moment he saw her face and her own started to race.

"Jenny," he uttered so quietly like the moment would disappear, like she would, if he spoke any louder.

It felt like summertime the moment his eyes glued themselves to her. She could remember simpler times, sunshine and smiles, and when he uttered her name in a whisper, she finally felt happy for the first time in a long time. And she smiled.

She smiled so widely she felt like her face might burst but she didn't care. There he was, standing right in front of her, seeing her. And there was nothing standing between them except the simple truth: they still loved and burned only for each other.

But people can be blind to truth.

Elijah felt disbelief and...and joy. His heart pounded so loudly and when she smiled, god (that beautiful smile), he felt butterflies. He'd never felt so strongly about any women except her, his Jenny. Her mere existence lifted him up like nothing else ever could.

"I....I had to see you," she took the first step to cross the distance between them. Because I love you, she thought and all the other steps she took (because she needed to be close) were like love letters.

Jenny looked up slowly and hesitantly because the moment she gazed into his brown eyes, she knew she wouldn't want to look anywhere else. Elijah reached for her and his fingers caressed her cheek.

"You're here," a tear fell from his eye before he smiled. To touch her put a warmth into his heart that had extinguished while she was gone.

And Jenny felt it. She could feel his touch on her cheek like a fire. She reached up and put her hand over his own. She closed her eyes to how lovely it felt and she rested her forehead against his. Just breathing was love.

She wondered why she could feel his touch and no one else. But she supposed she already knew.

She was lost until she was found in his presence. And he'd always be the reason she felt okay even if he didn't want her. (It was so pathetic, too, because it didn't matter if he didn't want her; she'd breathe because he did.)

She opened her eyes to gaze into his. She never wanted to move because she was content to love him in this still moment. Love, it broke her heart in two because she failed to see the love notes in his eyes; she thought it was only surprise.

She pulled away from him slowly and started to frown which confused him greatly. She had missed him for so long and she thought she still had to miss him (even while she was alive).

"Hayley is getting married," she blurted out.

And this was her trauma. She had spent so much time watching him without her that she didn't feel good enough for him anymore. How could she be when Hayley had been there?

He wasn't hers anymore. She was sure of it. No matter how happy she'd be to think otherwise. It was always the ones with smiles that were most afraid of happiness.

He looked at her like it was news to him. Like he'd somehow forgotten in the five minutes he'd seen her and he did. Everything was nonexistent besides her presence.

"I'm sorry. I don't want to cause you pain," she apologized as she started to cry. "I let you go. I'm sorry. I just wanted to see you."

Pain? Yes, there certainly was. She was crying and frowning and it tore him apart. But Elijah was bewildered, first by her presence, and second by what she was rambling on about.

He went to soothe her as he reached for her delicately like she was a flower he didn't want to crush but she stormed past him.

Jenny bumped into Rebekah on her way out and she got a flash of something she didn't understand. A flash of Rebekah with a malicious smile and children in a warehouse.

But Jenny kept walking, practically, running.

Elijah went to go after her but Rebekah stopped him, "Usually, I'd be the one telling you to go after the girl but we have a problem. It's Kol."

Elijah looked at Rebekah and saw on her face that it was serious but his heart yearned for Jenny.

Nevertheless, he stayed and he let her go.

AN: so they reunited but it wasn't exactly like some of ya'll probably had in mind.
I've tried to showcase in this story that Jenny is a happy person but she's also very insecure. And that's why she reacted the way she did.

Also I'm hoping you guys are catching onto the fact that Jenny is something.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro