|9|

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Tom flinched when he heard the voice behind him as the kitchen staff plopped  a pudding cup onto his plate before Tom turned around.

"Greetings, nerd."

Tom furrowed his brow when he saw the lean, short figure of Brian, "Why'd you call me that of all things? You literally have so many clever nicknames at hand."

Brian shrugged, "It's what I'm called, so welcome to the club." He smirked, "Come on." He nodded towards where Tom and Lea usually sat.

Tom was beyond confused but was curious nonetheless, cautiously following Brian who sat down where Lea usually did, making Tom feel slightly uncomfortable about that. Tom didn't act on his feelings though and sat down across from Brian.

Brian was pretty skinny, not from lack of food or anything, he ate as much as his heart desired but his metabolism was faster than the ideas that flew in and out of his head, faster than his want to do them fleeing. Brian was a smart and clever hacker who had committed a federal offense by using keyloggers  in schools to change students' grades for money. Brian in his early twenties from what Tom could tell, he had a slight goatee with his wavy, dirty-blonde hair and was pretty neutral about most things. Tom had observed Brian a lot, this was because he couldn't figure the guy out.

Here he was, a scrawny guy in prison, Brian, he was on fine terms with everyone and Tom had no idea how.

"So, where's Lea?" Brian took a bite of the probably-mashed-potatoes™.

Tom chewed on the inside of his cheek, the one he still fully had, and shrugged, "Chilling in our cell."

"Yeah?" Brian cocked and eyebrow.

Tom nodded, nervously picking at the food in front of him.

"You don't sound too sure about that? What are two doing, planning an escape or something?" Brian grinned.

Tom laughed, "I wouldn't be able to do that."

"You're so sure, huh?" Brian pointed a fork with food on it at Tom, "That's your problem."

"My...problem?"

Brian nodded, "You don't think you can do things so here you are trying to prove you can through swinging a fist here and there." He moved the fork around with movements that matched his words.

Tom was more confused than anything about what was going on.

"You're tough, Thomas, I've seen that- you just don't know where to land your blows, that's your problem." Brian was already halfway done with his food.

"I've broken a kid's leg before, I think I know where I'm landing my hits." Tom scoffed.

"Not physically, I mean that you're making enemies, not friends- now, by making friends I don't mean all buddy buddy I mean make it so people don't look at you like a pudding cup." Brian nodded to Tom's pudding cup and grabbed it.

"Hey!" Tom hissed.

"Do you want it back?" Brian asked.

Tom stood up and stalked over to Brian, "Give it, tough shot."

"Look around you, Tom...look at all those hungry eyes on you..." Brian whispered.

Tom paused to glance around, and sure enough, people were starting to get up with clenched fists.

"I know how to play my cards, I know how to get people on my side." Brian walked past Tom, patting him on the back directly where Lea had bloodied it up, causing Tom to wince as the pudding cup was thrown back onto his plate, "Do you?"

Brian then turned to sit down beside Tom.

Tom glared at him, "Why are you telling me this?"

"I've got aces up my sleeve...you're not one of them..."

"So?"

"I want you in my deck, Tom, you're close to Lea, and Lea would never trust me nor help me out in any way, and if I want to be able to keep my position of safety here I have to prove that I'm worth it, having him step me and my guys up-"

"Your guys?" Tom looked as if that was far-fetched.

"Camden and his goons." Brian chuckled, "They're not much up here," Brian tapped his temple, "But they are here." Brian cracked his knuckles, "As for you? You're clever, Thomas, you can use your words to trick people, after all, you did trick Roman into thinking you were a good person, right?"

Tom stiffened up, turning to face Brian directly, "How do you know about that?"

Brian wiggled his fingers, "Keyboards and prison files are my best friends."

Tom narrowed his eyes.

"I can use your file against you, you know." Brian was grinning wickedly now, "I may be trapped in these concrete walls, but I can ruin the lives of people on the inside and outside of it- I can put an end to Roman, your poor little boyfriend, his reputation, gone, and under your name- he'll hate you."

Tom felt cornered, heart beating fast as he thought about how to respond before finally shrugging, turning to his food and taking a bite, "Go ahead, you'd be doing me a favor, I don't care for him anymore." This wasn't exactly the truth, but Tom hoped it would pass.

Brian looked a bit taken bake by this before leaning forward, "I could offer the chance to ruin someone's life? All it takes is a few clicks."

Tom smirked, "I'm not looking to do that right now."

Brian was getting obviously agitated.

"You've got nothing on me, Brian." Tom grinned.

Brian paused before standing up.

Tom looked over at him curiously.

"Lea hasn't been honest with you, has he?" Brian folded his arms over his chest.

Tom shrugged, "Well, he hasn't exactly lied about anything."

"But he's keeping things from you?"

Tom didn't respond.

"That's what I thought."

"Why are you asking this?" Tom turned to sit on the outside of the bench of the table.

"Give me two days," Brian shuffled around in the left pocket of his jumpsuit and pulled a blue flash drive out, "This has everybody's records on this, from out the back window and into my pocket." He set it back in, "Two days and I'll have a hard copy of Lea's file, you can look at it all you want."

"Why don't you use his file against him if you have it?" Tom frowned.

"Because the basics of what he tells is true- and the rest only strengthens his reputation." Brian hummed.

"Wha- why would I want that though?" Tom objected.

"Well, don't you?"

"Not enough to help you with whatever scheme you've got." Tom glared.

Brian's teeth gritted as he narrowed his eyes at Tom, "You're walking on thin ice...I will get dirt on you- and when I do? You'll be under my control like that." With the last word, Brian snapped his fingers in Tom's face which made him flinch before Brian stalked off.

Tom was beginning to feel a small bit of fear worm its way into his chest as he watched Brian go.

Brian...he had his power because he blackmailed people or appeased to their wishes.
He was smart;
But Tom was clever;
And that's just what Brian needed;
Which put Tom up to an even bigger threat.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro