42 | LET THE HELL BEGIN

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

ALPHA ORIEF REI'S POV.

Dawn. The bearer of good news, the sign of new beginnings, and the cinematic representation of the end of a war.  

However, what this dawn has brought me and my family is nothing but dread. Today is the day me and my mate set off to attempt the Phoneix Rite. 

It's been a week since that night and I feel that breakdown helped us understand each other. Felix will be in a few hours and by noon we will be at the site. Not wanting Felix to see the absolute mess I had made of our room, I threw off the covers and did some cleaning around. 

When I came out of the shower, Felix was tinkering in the room. A few bags were resting on the side. She heard me coming out even with her music blasting at an obnoxious volume. "Good that you are here, I have something important to ask. Come sit." 

So I settled on my usual couch. And Felix unlike usual sat beside me instead of her armchair. 

"Look at me." I did so. "Tell me how are you feeling? What do you think about our plans so far?"

I took a moment to mentally skim through everything we had prepared so far. "I am nervous, to be honest. My gut says we should stay away from this. This is a trap and we are missing something right now. But you look confident and I trust us. So let's finish this once at for all. And use this victory to limit the powers of council."

"I look confident?" She asked rhetorically. "Look at this."

Felix opened her fist and showed me her hands, hands that were clearly shaking. I gently enclosed each of her hands into mine, "Do I- Do I like bring you water or something?" I asked clueless. I know how to deal with her being overwhelmed but I don't know how to deal with her sacred. Flynn never told me about that one. But again which elder sibling shows signs of struggle in front of the young ones. 

"No, I am just as nervous as you. This won't go away until we reach there. Don't worry I will be alright during the need of the hour. That's just how I am." 

Despite her reassurance, I kept looking at her hand and my doubts resurfaced again. But I shook those thoughts away. This wasn't the time to make promises or sink into my thoughts. We aren't headed to war. This isn't the last goodbye before death. It's a stupid rite. We are going to demolish it. Yes. We are going to finish this with ease. 

My mini pep talk came to an end when Felix took her hands away from me and took out something from her bag. "This is the information on the rite that Lady  Ruby secretly sent me. I have read through this, you should too. You will understand why I am nervous."

Felix must have been more nervous than I realised because she was explaining everything written in the paper with scary accuracy I fear how many times she has read this. 

"These slimy old people know that the chances of pushing us back in a physical altercation are slim. So they are challenging us with mental battles—specifically, those we would have a hard time handling. The Labyrinth which was abandoned outside the sacred lands is what they decided to use. We would be dropped randomly inside the labyrinth and our tasks involve us finding and collecting three separate items of significance. However, the items have been bound with different spells. The spells will trap you into a bad memory or a simulation of fears. The memory or fears may be mine, your own or any previous participant, in addition to that the labyrinth is filled with ancient spirits which can turn vengeful or mischievous in any given instance. It's like- It's like they are setting us up for failure. What does this challenge have to do with our compatibility or love? They are just exploiting that loophole and being downright malicious- "

I couldn't help it anymore. I leaned down and pressed my lips on her cute cheeks. I had wanted to do it from the time I saw her crying. It's weird but she looked so red after crying that day. But by the time I could muster the courage to do it, she had already fallen asleep. So when I saw her breathing quicken I took it as an opportunity to fulfil my wish and distract her. Two birds, one stone. 

Felix's eyes went extremely wide and shock was written all over her face. I knew the moment she snapped out of it, I would get hit. So I took this opportunity to slip out of the room. "I wished it wasn't your cheek but let's do that when we finish this all. Now go get ready, I will be waiting for you downstairs."

Downstairs I meet everyone in the dining hall. It was a tense atmosphere. They were nervous and scared for us. Both my parents and the council had tried to talk me out of attempting the rite because not only was the history of the rite bloody and malicious but also they didn't want me in harm's way. I feel sorry for them some days because they have to deal with me being an extremely stubborn individual and this is one of those times. 

I wanted to go. Despite their protest, I am going. Despite knowing it's a trap, I am going. Because it is not just about them disrespecting my title and overstepping the grace I give them. They have challenged the existence of my queen. They should not have done that after the warning I gave them the last time. It is time they realised they are messing with Felix West. 

"Orief, what you like for breakfast son?" mum asked. She tried her best to act like this a normal morning in the Vadeus Household. 

"I would like just some fruits, Mum," I answered playing along. 

Bless my mother she called the servants and ordered them to bring in the breakfast. Felix came down right as we were about to start breakfast. She was dressed in black cargo and a forest green full-sleeve t-shirt. She looked exactly like me just much more fierce with her hair braided tightly and her face looking hostile.

"Felix, child what do you want to eat," Mum asked her too.

"Good Morning Mama. I get motion sick, so I will pass on breakfast today. But next time I will eat for sure." Felix soothed mum subtly still ignoring my eyes and settling next to Charlotte who was struggling to eat while balancing Lillian. "Give Lilly baby to me Char, you eat." 

She settled with Lilly in her lap, slowly coaxing the child to sleep and discussed some games with Dad and Acimer. While Mum asked me questions about my and Felix's preparations. But she might have noticed that I was stealing glances at my queen. "Orief, it feels different seeing your other half with a child, right?" 

I wasn't thinking about that but I couldn't let my mother know what I was thinking about so I played along, "It does feel different Mum."

"So how about after coronation-"

"Ma we are still young." I cut her off. 

She smacked me on my head, "Orief Rei Vadeus. I did not mean that. Let me finish. I was suggesting you take a vacation with the Acimer and Char. They haven't had much break after Lillian was born." 

"I am sorry Ma. My head ran a little too far." I apologised very embarrassed with my thought process. 

She sighed and shot me a smug smile, "At least I know where your head is right now Young Man." She kept laughing for the rest of the breakfast and pulled Dad so he would lean down to her level, no doubt snitching on me. 

Acimer kissed his wife and child and motioned me to get ready to leave. And instantly the fragile joy shattered and my entire family dipped in dread. 

"I will be back Mum and Dad." Felix hugged my parents. Gave Lilly back to Charlotte. "Let's go, Your Majesty." 

Acimer had volunteered as a representative to drop us off, "Why are you taking a car for such an important event, didn't you buy teleportation circles or something? Do they not work here or something?"

"They are for different purposes, I am not spending my hard-earned money on council work," I answered.

"So where are we meeting them?" He strapped himself in the passenger seat next to the guard who was driving us.

I took the seat right behind him, "We aren't meeting them. I am taking the helicopter to the Temple of Moon Goddess. They can come there by car. It will give me and Felix time to adjust to the temperature and environment of the area."

He whipped around to glare at me "You bought a helicopter? And you didn't tell me, how could you-"

"I didn't, yet. I might though in future. I rented this one."

"Buy one, please. So we can just woosh woosh around. I will even learn how to fly it and get a proper license. Please just buy it," With that, I lost Acimer in his dreams of becoming an action hero.

Still, I replied, "I will, I will. I have Minister Conti looking into it."

For the rest of the ride to the helipad Felix and Acimer theorised on what historical artefacts will we find in the maze. The moment we reached the helipad building, Felix requested Acimer and the Driver to step out of the car.

The moment they stepped out she unbuckled her seat belt and her hand went directly to my face. She squished my face with one hand and before I could react kissed me softly for just a moment.

Before I could recover she had picked up her jacket and left the car after saying, "Never put checkpoints in relationship events Your Majesty. Fiction has it, they never make it out alive." 

--------------------------------

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro