12. Savior Kouha

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

I wandered the palace with extra caution from then out.

(I can't risk getting mixed up with another candidate. The last thing I want to do is end up in another brawl. And more than that, I'd hate to keep getting Judar in trouble. I really do feel like I've been nothing but a bother to him...)

My cheeks flushed pink at the thought of the way he'd been surprisingly helpful throughout my stay here. I shook my head as if to shake the thought of him away before stumbling into someone. I glanced up at the figure before me, recognizing her as Kougyoku. She stared at me with fury in her eyes, her cheeks practically the color of her pink-red hair. Without a single warning, she gritted her teeth and drew her hand back. Before I could really register the situation, the palm of her hand struck my face, sending a stinging jolt through my entire body. I lost my balance and fumbled backwards onto the floor, completely befuddled. I brought my hand up to where she struck my face, my eyes nervously meeting hers.

"How dare you come into our home and insult our name the way you did! Have you no shame whatsoever? Just because you're that magi's little pet, you think you can do whatever you want here? No one should ever insult our brother, the first prince, Kouen, the way you did in that battle! You have no right to be here, nor do you have any right to our crown!" She exclaimed, anger fuming from her like steam. I could do nothing but sit and stare in shock, absorbing her anger, word for word.

She was quick to react to my silence, pulling my up by the collar of my garments. I hung loosely in her grasp, allowing full submission to her anger.

(She has every right to hate me this way. There's no way I can refuse her anger.)

Just as I thought she was about to strike me again, I felt her body pull back as if someone had caught her by the arm. Kougyoku immediately released me, dropping me to the floor again.

I glanced up and saw bright eyes peering down at me. A tiny-framed man whose features highly resembled those of Kougyoku was now standing behind the girl, holding her back from further attacks. His fingers were clenched tight around Kougyoku's wrist.

"That's enough," he said, an edge of seriousness and authority in his voice. Despite his small body, his composure was enough to calm Kougyuku from her tantrum. She gave an unsatisfactory huff as she pulled her arm from his grasp and strode down the corridor.

"Tch, that brat is always upset about something," the man before me said, watching Kougyoku until she was out of sight. "She's always so quick to react irrationally," he continued. He reached his hand out towards me and gave a cheery but unimpressed smile.

I hesitantly took his hand and he pulled me to my feet. "Kouha," he said abruptly. "Ren Kouha, the third Prince of Kou," he continued his introduction.

"Prince? So you're-" I spoke quietly, attempting to put the pieces together in my head.

"Yeah, candidate for the crown, sibling of these other royals, yada yada," he finished my sentence nonchalantly. I hadn't realized that I had an odd look on my face until Kouha pointed it out. "What's the matter? I got somethin' on my face?" he asked, rubbing his fingers across his cheeks.

"N-No, I just don't understand why you stopped her," I replied in a shaky voice. I didn't understand why he would stop to help me if he saw me the same way Kougyoku and Kouen did.

(Surely, they all feel the same way about me, don't they?)

Kouha simply shrugged his shoulders, "I have no issue with you."

I stared at him in disbelief.

He crossed his arms over his chest and began to explain his reasoning as if completely uninterested in the topic, "Anyone brought in by the Magi has fair rights to the crown and no argument should be made against that. With that being said, however, I'd like to know your full name." His eyes met mine as he looked at me expectantly.

"Well, I..." I started.

(Do I tell him my full name? I'm not really sure if it's supposed to be a secret or not... Well, I wasn't told not to disclose my full name.)

"Mei... Ren," I told him.

Kouha stared at me for a moment before letting out a burst of laughter. "Guess the old man had a hidden affair back in the day!" he muttered between laughs. "To think he got someone else knocked up," he continued through his laughter.

(Well, that's not exactly how I got here... But I suppose that's how I'll let it be seen for now.)

I shifted my gaze around the corridor until Kouha had his fill of amusement. "You know, there are a couple of other siblings in the palace that are in the same boat as you. Ask around for a kid named Hakuryuu. He'd be easier to find than his sister, although she'd probably be easier to talk to. Whoever you decide to go lookin' for, I'm sure they won't give you the same beating Kougyoku and Kouen did. See ya," Kouha told me before turning and heading down the corridor. I didn't even have enough time to thank him before he was gone.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro