30. Manipulation Factor

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

The sunlight filtered into the room through the window, stirring me from my hazy sleep. My eyes fluttered open and I stretched across the bed. A wave of nausea crept through me and my head began to ache as I leaned up in the bed and glanced around the unfamiliar room.

(Who's room is this? This definitely isn't mine...)

I shifted and planted my feet on the floor before a jolt of pain shot through my body. Every muscle felt sore from my neck down to my thighs.

(Geez, why am I so sore?? What the hell happened last night?)

I tried recollecting any tidbits from the previous night but my memory was too foggy. I ran my fingers through my hair as I contemplated how drunk I must have been when they suddenly tangled and caught up in a knot. I cast my eyes down and found that a small section of my hair had been braided into a bubble chain.

I stared at the braid for a moment before a memory flitted through my mind. I smiled at the thought as I rolled the hair between my fingers.

(That's right... Judar was playing with my hair just as I nodded off to sleep last night.)

My face began to burn up as I recalled the other events that had taken place as well. My heart was suddenly thumping in my chest and a happy warmth welled up inside of me.

Before I could reminisce on the memories for too long, the bedroom door creaked open and a palace maid scurried in.

"Excuse me, Miss; I've been told to check up on you by.. Well, the Magi," she said in a quiet voice.

"Oh, please do come in then," I told her as politely as I could manage while I fought back my hangover.

She did as instructed, hastily shutting the door behind her. She brought in with her a small dish filled with water and a wash cloth. "Are you feeling alright today?" she asked, most likely referring to how much I had to drink the night before.

"I'm fine, thank you," I smiled warmly. She handed me the damp cloth just before stopping short and staring at my neck. I looked at her skeptically before asking her if everything was alright.

"Oh! I- Well, um," she stuttered nervously before reaching into her pocket and handing me a small compact mirror. She shifted her gaze around the room as she waited for me to move.

I hesitantly took the mirror from her before inspecting myself in it. I let out a gasp as I observed several red marks along my jaws, neck, and collarbones; each varying in size and shape.

(Oh dear God.)

The maids cheeks were flushed red as she giggled quietly to herself. "Looks like a few love bites, Miss," she said under her breath.

I began to feel embarrassed, clasping my hands around my neck to hide the markings as if she hadn't already seen them. The maid let out a gentle laugh as she sat down on the bed beside me. "If I may, I think I can help you hide those," she said sweetly.

-----

"That damned Magi," I hissed under my breath as I swept through the corridors. The maid had given me one of her scarfs to help hide the infection of hickies that Judar had so carelessly given me overnight.

Just then, I overheard familiar voices from further down the corridor. I approached them quietly, recognizing them instantly.

"So how'd things go with the Fanalis girl?" Judar teased. "Is she really as strong as everyone says?" he continued poking fun at the boy beside him.

"Oh, shut up already," Hakuryuu said, his face flushing pink. "Nothing happened. She went home with Alibaba and Aladdin," he said, sounding defeated.

Judar continued to tease him and I thought back to the festival, remembering Hakuryuu as he attempted to get closer to Morgiana. I smiled at the thought.

(How cute, I wasn't even aware he had feelings for her. What I thinking? I shouldn't eavesdrop on them.)

I turned to leave when Hakuryuu mentioned my name, catching my full attention. I slid along the wall, creeping closer to get a better listen.

"What about you and Lady Mei? I saw the two of you heading back to Sinbad's," he said, obviously trying to turn the tables on Judar.

I peeked around the corner and caught sight of both of them. Judar looked completely nonchalant as he spoke, "Oh, please. She's a prize weapon, nothing more." Hakuryuu looked a bit taken aback but listened intently. "She knows what she's here for and that's to help us take down Al Tharmen. If she wants to get emotionally invested, so be it," he scoffed.

My chest ached and my head began to burn up at his harsh words.

"But didn't you," Hakuryuu started but trailed off.

"That's all there is to it," Judar snapped. "Besides, the only thing I really care about here is war. And with her, my goals become that much more attainable."

My head was suddenly swimming in his cruelty and my body trembled with a mix of anger and utter pain. I turned back around and swiftly headed in the direction I came.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro