👓9👓

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Steph's POV:

I can't continue these lessons.

Yeah I know, typical Steph behavior, quitting as soon as things get tough, but no words can explain how mortified I am. After Keon heard what I said yesterday I knew that there was no way I could face him.

So I skipped what was supposed to be our morning session, arriving late to school and staying as far away from the library as possible. So what if I'm failing anyway? I'll be graduating soon and I'll be able to get my grades up in college. If push comes to shove, I'll ask Kayla's boyfriend Aaron to tutor me – he's very smart.

I hear the bell ring and thankfully stumble out of our Calculus class with Mr Kabab. Finally, it's lunch time and I cannot wait to meet up with Kayla and Quinn.

"Stephanie Young", I hear my name announced in a booming voice over the school loudspeakers. "Stephanie Young please make your way to the principals office. Immediately."

Shoot

I run though the mental list of pranks that I've pulled this term. Maybe the glue incident or the toilet papering of Miss Kensigner's car? But there's no way that they could have caught me on that. Besides, most of them were Kayla's idea so if it was pranks, it would be her that they would call.

Unless they want me to be a snitch, in which case, the answer is no, absolutely not.

Stop standing and go and find out, I mentally chide myself.

As I walk the familiar path to the principal's office – familiar because I've been here so many times – I try to recount anything I may have done but nothing comes to mind.

I stop my thoughts as I find myself outside the principal's door, I hear voices inside – the deep gruff voice of Mr Jackson our principal and another, a female voice high pitched and annoying; Miss Kensigner.

I push open the door without knocking and find myself facing the two adults. Miss Kensigner stops talking as soon as I enter and instead folds her arms over her chest and glares at me.

"Miss Young", Mr Jackson says, peering at me over his spectacles. He's about 40 or fifty years old, probably of some sort of Caucasian descent if his skin tone and accent are anything to go off on.

"Miss Young, I heard that you were given a tutor to help you with your grades"

Sheesh is everyone going to be in my business today?

"Yeah I was assigned a tutor", I say, when it becomes evident that he expects me to say something.

"But from what I hear you didn't show up for today's class"

Keon snitched on me? I thought he would be glad to have me out of hair.

"I decided that I don't need tutoring"

"Well I would like to know how you decided that", Miss Kensigner butts in. "Maybe you don't know that you're failing Stephanie"

I glare at her. "I'll get my grades up okay?"

Miss Kensigner gives a bark of laughter. "I don't think you understand Stephanie. You aren't graduating"

My body turns cold.

"She's lying", I whirl to face Mr Jackson who is looking at me, his face a mixture of pity and annoyance.

"I didn't mean for you to find out this way", he says, shooting a look to a victorious Miss Kensigner "but yes you are actually on the verge of not graduating.

I can't help but stare in shock at Mr Jackson. I mean I know I'm not the sharpest knife in the kitchen but... not graduating.

I look at them expecting Mr Jackson to maybe laugh. Probably say it's all a joke and while I'm failing, I just need to get my grades up. I hope.

He doesn't say anything.

I swallow deeply. "What exactly am I failing?"

He looks to Miss Kensigner who brings out a long sheet of paper. "Calculus, French, History... and of course, Literature."

"Haven't any of the teachers spoken to you before now?"

I shrug. Teachers speak to me all the time but I tend to tune them out, put in my airpods covered with my hair and just drift off. Maybe if I hadn't, I wouldn't be here – being told that I may not graduate.

"Miss Young, I'm afraid that Mr Jacob is going to have to be your tutor"

My heart sinks even further. "Isn't there anyone else? Maybe Aaron can teach me"

"Mr Delany already has a lot on his plate preparing the school's football team for their final match. All of our other student tutors have been fully booked."

"B.. but..."

"Do you have any reason why you don't want Mr Jacob as your tutor?"

I don't say anything... I can't explain that Keon hates me, that I've embarrassed myself in front of him.

"Then I don't expect to hear you skipping classes again do you understand?", his tone is stern but I just fold my arms and shrug noncommittally..

He sighs in frustration. "Miss Young, I just got off the phone with your father and informed him that you may not be graduating." I feel my stomach tighten though I struggle to keep my face blank. Miss Kensigner is smiling in a corner not even trying to hide her pleasure.

"I haven't told your father that you skipped your tutoring session, but if it repeats itself, I assure you that he'll be hearing about it. Do I make myself clear"

"Crystal", I say, my voice tight.

"Good. Now your French teacher has agreed to give you an oral exam and that will give you enough marks to catch up with the class. Your history teacher has agreed on the condition of three essays based on the three most recent topics she has taught. As for Calculus and Literature, your teachers have agreed to give you a makeup test which will cover everything that you've learnt. And you need to turn in all your assignments including the ones that you haven't done since the start of the term. If you pass the tests they may reconsider your graduation, but if not...", he trails off but I get the gist.

I won't be graduating.

"When will the test take place?"

"In a months"

I gape at him. One months to cover everything that we've done? I can't do that.

"Well you'll have to find a way and do it", Mr Jackson says matter-of-factly, and I realize I spoke out my thoughts. "If you don't do it, you won't get your highschool diploma and you'll have to repeat the year"

I nod in a daze, but Mr Jackson doesn't seem to notice how shocked I am.

"Good. Miss Kensigner says that she has noticed that you don't seem to pay attention in her classes. Why is that?"

Because she's a boring judgmental bitc-

"I just don't feel like her teaching methods and my learning methods are similar"

"And besides Stephanie doesn't want to learn. She has no interest in learning from me"

Mr Jackson looks between us for a moment then speaks. "Since your literature lessons are already quite futile, I am going to also give those hours to Mr Jacob to tutor you. You need all the help possible"

Ouch.... I mean I know I need help but did he have to say it like that?

"Remember Miss Young", Mr Jackson says, "if you don't pass the test, you'll be held back"

Held back

The word repeats itself as I walk out of the office to see Kayla waiting for me outside.

"Hey Steph, what did Mr Jackson need you for?", she asks, her green eyes glinting in concern.

Held back

Held

Back

I want to lean against the wall and cry, but instead I force a carefree smile on my face... at least I hope it is a carefree smile.

"Just wanted to confirm that I'm going through with the tutoring sessions", I chirp with a shrug, my voice is an octave higher than normal.

Kayla seems to notice it too because her brows furrow in concern.

"The principal wanted to meet you because of tutoring sessions? It sounds serious?

If only you knew...

"Not that serious, just Father asking him to check up on me. You know how he is"

Kayla nods, her eyes still looking suspiciously at my face while her hand reaches out to touch my shoulder. "You know I'm here to talk in case you need anything"

I do know. I know that m best friend would listen without any judgement, maybe even offer to help me, but somehow I can't seem to voice the words... maybe if I don't say it, it won't be real.

Premium delulu speaking

The bell rings signaling the end of lunch and the start of the next class.

"We should probably get going", Kayla says with a shrug. "It's literature next and I have some stink bombs I want to plant under Miss Kensigner's chair – that's sure to put a smile on your face."

Oh my sweet best friend. I have never been more touched. Emotionally I mean.

"Actually Mr Jackson said that I'm not going to be having literature classes anymore. I'm to be having them with Keon now"

Kayla looks both horrified and amused. "I honestly don't know which is a worse option... for you anyway. I'd definitely take Keon; smart boy with that sweet accent. And he's not too bad looking, despite what you said yesterday"

I feel my cheeks warm as I try to shrug it off. "He's not bad I guess. Not my type, but not bad. And besides he's Quinn's brother" Yeah Quinn's brother who absolutely hates me.

"Eh probably true. You're into the more rugged boy not a nerdy dude"

"Exactly", I say.

I can almost feel myself laughing then...

Held back

Not graduating

The joy disappears from my mood.

"I should go", I mutter to Kayla before drifting off, but not to the library.

Oh no, I walk to the parking lot and get in my car.

Don't think about it, just drive

I head off for the arcade.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro