Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN || THE STRINGS ATTACHED TO DEATH

------------------

"What?" Alex questioned as the group walked away leaving the couple to talk, Glenn's eyes flickered across Alex's face taking in the blood splattered across her face, an unfamiliar sense of sadness lingered between the couple as they locked eyes. Glenn took a step toward her taking her hand in his.

"You okay?" He questioned his free hand coming up to cup her cheek gently wiping away the walker's blood splatter. a look of concern evident on his features as his eyes subconsciously checked her for injuries. Alex nodded unsure of what she could even say, the harrowing emotions rushing through her veins only now beginning to ease. 

Glenn sighed unsure as to how to word what he wanted to say, The hand cupping Alex's cheek rounded the back of her neck pulling her into his warm embrace. initially surprised by the gesture alex hugged him back, her arms wrapping around him as he held her close. 

his warmth, his comforting scent encapsulated her, easing the burning pain deep within her chest, Glenn cradled the back of Alex's head as she buried her head into his shoulder until he spoke up: "We're going to find somewhere... I just, I just need to keep you and Josh safe until then... I thought you were staying with Sam. We said no going off alone." 

Glenn's voice echoed through Alex's mind, After the conversation she'd just overheard, she wasn't sure what he was insinuating, she didn't want him to bend his morals for her. She could protect herself. she hated it. she hated the way the world changed people. she'd seen the difference in Carl's eyes. and now she was seeing it in Glenn's. 

"We split up to find more supplies" Alex answered the tone of her voice all too familiar to Glenn. he'd heard that exact tone before. at the prison, in the storage container at Terminus. That voice was one he knew all too well. and it didn't take a lot for him to realise she wasn't okay.

"You sure you're okay?" the Korean questioned gently breaking the hug so he could look down at his wife, The kindness that lingered behind his broken brown eyes almost made her melt under his gaze, the warmth of his love rushing through her body as she nodded again. 

"Yeah, yeah I'm good. I just- I can't keep doing this" She sighed, the almost permanent agony she felt easing for a moment as she stared up at him, his soft features accentuated by the sunlight shining down on them, noticing the stubble growing on his chin alex leaned forward pressing a soft kiss to his lips. which Glenn gratefully returned his hand falling on her waist as he savoured the taste of her against his lips. 

"You can. You have to." Glenn mumbled against his wife's lips as he broke the kiss, his words sending raw emotion through Alex's body. She had to, but did she want to? the pain, the pain that came with the life they lived was almost debilitating. it pained her soul in a way she wasn't sure she'd ever be able to recover from. 

"It hurts Glenn. Lori, Hershel, Beth... if I ever lost you... Rick, Carl" Before Alex could even finish her sentence Glenn was shaking his head and cut her off: "You wont. you can't think like that beautiful... the thought of you, losing me. hurting... I couldn't take that. that's why we need to be careful, we always do what we can to stay together okay? I'll always find you."

Alex nodded, her heart aching purely from his words alone. the safety she felt with him was unmatched. the love, she felt was something years ago she didn't believe in. Pulling him into another hug alex buried her face into his chest The dark murky forest scent that lingered on him distracted from any other smells, not that she cared. being in his arms was enough comfort for her. whenever she felt his arms around her she was enveloped in a safety blanket that only came with Glenn Rhee. 

Just as Glenn was about to speak up again and finish the conversation he'd prepped in his mind, The panicked screams from Sam filled their ears, pulling the couple from their thoughts: "Alex!! Rick!! Glenn!! It's Tyreese! he's been bit!" 

Alex's heart dropped as Glenn sprinted off in the direction Sam was calling them from. Alex's boot-clad feet hit the floor. She followed her husband. She ran. Her heart raced needing to get to Tyreese. Another loss. They couldn't lose another person. They couldn't handle another loss. Her lungs heaved as she watched Glenn sprint into a house right behind Sam and Rick. 

Despite running as fast as she could, she couldn't keep up with Glenn. Rushing into the house a few seconds after him she followed the sound of a struggle. Dread filled her stomach as she rushed through the house into what could only be described as a child's bedroom. and the sight made her blood run cold. 

she froze at the door; Glenn and Rick held Tyreeses arm straight. Sam held him still against the wall. While michonne towered over them katana out, at the ready. the blood. it covered him, covered the floor. it was everywhere. the sight made the hairs on the back of her neck stand tall.  Alex's breath hitched as she rushed to Sam's side. in seconds Her hands were firmly planted against Tyreese's shoulder holding him still despite the bile rising in her throat. 

"One hit! clean. go!" Rick ordered, his voice echoed through the room, echoed in Alex's mind. Her body leant against Sam's as the pair held the man steady. Her heart racing, she swallowed the lump in her throat. Not again. They couldn't do this again. Not days after Beth. And in a second the blade in Michonnes hand sliced through flesh and bone. 

an earth-shattering scream escaped Tyreese's lips, a scream of pure agony. A scream those present would never forget. The sound squeezed Alex's heart like a vice. filling her body with the same harrowing pain she'd felt for Beth. A pain fueled by grief and anger. Rick automatically wrapped Tyreese's arm up in an old shirt he'd found discarded on the floor. 

"Get him up!" Rick ordered his voice once again cold. colder than alex had heard it. the humanity they'd once held dear was fading. and it was fading quickly. Both Glenn and Rick pulled the injured man up. Supporting his body weight Sam and alex quickly helping the two men drag Tyreese from the house. There was no time to think. They still had time. They had to have time. 

"Push it! Let's Go! Let's go!" Rick ordered as he and Glenn essentially dragged the man through the front door of the house. Everything happened so quickly. Sam and Alex Rushed leading the group out of the estate. They had to get back to the Car and Fast. They didn't have time to process it. They just had to go.  

"We've got to break the chain!" Rick shouted, his voice echoed within the group. Alex's military mindset finding its way back as she rushed toward the gates that they'd previously climbed over due to them being bolted closed. Her mind rushed with solutions, the intelligence mindset rushing back in seconds leaving her no time to rationalize.

"Sam! Use the bat! now!" She ordered, and Sam listened. Taking the metal bat from Noah he threw it to Alex. Running Ahead the pair had to open the gates. Alex wedged the end of the bat between the gate and the metal chain. Brute force. that's what they needed. Ordering Sam to help. The pair used their body weight to push the bat down against the chain. Grunts filled the air as they fought to break the chain. 

Their hearts raced as they huffed using all their strength. And together using their combined strength the chain snapped. The gates flung open pushing both Sam and Alex away from the gates. Walkers piling in. Steadying herself Alex's heart dropped. Her eyes fighting to find Glenn almost automatically as she tore her gun from the holster against her thigh. 

Bracing herself she aimed her gun toward the walkers Sam and Glenn had already begun fighting. Her heart raced as she applied pressure to the trigger of her pistol automatically shooting down walkers without a second thought. Everything had become a blur. She wasn't in control. not of her thoughts. not of her actions. She was on autopilot. just as she was at Terminus. 

A walker slipped past the group. Heading straight for where Noah had fallen after being left to hold Tyreese. Doing the same as before. Alex rushed toward the walker. The butt of her gun automatically came down on its skull with brute force. One hit wouldn't kill it. Grabbing the thing's cold shoulder she pulled it toward her. her gun wedging itself in the walker's eye socket as she pulled the trigger. 

Brains flying from the back of its head. More blood splattered across her face as she worked without a second thought to keep everyone safe. She fought without hesitation. Without thinking how the walker was once a person. Without guilt. she fought with the pure intention of keeping everyone safe. 

As they cleared the walkers both Glenn and Rick ran straight for tyreese. Pulling him up from the floor as the rest of the group led the way. Keeping them safe. Checking for walkers. They ran. They ran as fast as they could. Glenn and Rick keeping Tyreese up. He was bleeding out. dying. Alex rushed ahead with Sam. The bullets in her gun decreasing uncomfortably fast. 

The two rushing ahead of the group. Keeping them safe. They came to a halt at the sound of a thud followed by pained grunts. "Hold on man! hold on! Grab his legs! grab his legs"

Voices echoed as Alex's head pulsed, Blood pumping violently against her eardrums drowning out her uncle's voice. Turning, both she and Sam rushed to the group Struggling to carry Tyreese. Cursing under her breath she followed Sam. Rushing to the group she gripped Tyreese's leg. Her own strength already wearing thin as she helped carry the muscular man. 

Strained grunts and huffs filled the air as they carried Tyreese. Glenn, Sam, Rick, Noah and Michonne all struggling to carry Tyreese back to the car. Alex's lungs burned with each breath she took. Yet finally the car was in sight. Her mind was blank as she gripped Tyreese's leg. Slowly losing her grip on his pant leg. 

Finally getting to the car the weight of Tyreese's body increased as  Glenn let go opening the car door. Climbing in the car Glenn gripped Tyreese's shoulders helping Drag him into the car. The adrenaline rushing through Alex's veins gave her the strength she needed. Pushing Tyreese into the car. Her heart pounded so violently against her chest in fear of losing another person as she followed Sam getting into the back. How much longer could they keep doing this?

A/N- icl, this chapter is so bad. I could've done so much better. but anyways, I just wanted to thank everyone again if you're still here and reading this story. This is the longest book I have published and I hope you're all enjoying it! I'm not sure if I write too much, like my paragraphs are quite long. I'm trying to get my own personal book published, and i write a lot more for that than this obviously, but for wattpad I'm not sure if I write too much and it unmotivates people to read. 

happier note! we're so close to Alexandria... I have so much planned for Alexandria. I'm so excited! also please don't be a silent reader, i appreciate every comment and vote. I love replying to your comments, they motivate me so much! but anyway thank you all !

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro