(013) it all seemed slow

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

MY LITTLE DOVE.

(chapter thirteen, it all seemed slow)

the academy / capitol park / snow penthouse, 2248.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  

AS THE AXE BEGAN to swipe at Lucy Gray, she leaped into Treech's arms, clinging to him. The two seemed to embrace each other for a long moment, but Treech's eyes went wide in horror as he pushed her away, dropping the axe.

He tried to grasp at something behind his neck and when he did, he pulled back a pink snake. Treech smashed it to the ground repeatedly before collapsing to his knees, falling dead to the ground. And as Lucy Gray stood over his body, she whipped around to find Reaper rocking himself in the stands. 

And as the audience applauded, Vipsania growled and took her seat, storming off as she snapped something at Lepidus, Dorothy feeling faint as they arranged the chairs in the centre. Reaper and Lucy Gray. Those were the two tributes that stopped Sabyn from winning. And she had made it to top three. 

"Dottie, are you okay?" Coriolanus asked her, noticing the look on her face.

"I feel like I'm going to be sick," she muttered back. And that was true, for after Festus had arrived to bring the trio some sandwiches for lunch, Dorothy rushed to the toilet and emptied the contents in her stomach. 

In the arena, it was only Lucy Gray and Reaper visible, for Sabyn was still in the tunnels somewhere, which seemed like a good thing for her since the sun beamed down on them. 

Lucky gave them all a detailed weather report, saying it was a heatwave and he was right since the dependable coolness of Heavensbee Hall failed to beat the heat, causing many students to strip of their jackets and fan themselves with notebooks. By mid-afternoon, fruit punch was available, but despite how many times Clemensia and Coriolanus ushered Dorothy to the stand to get some, she did not let the screen out of her sight. 

Lucy Gray was sitting on a bit of rubble, keeping Reaper in her sights, but neither one made a move to engage. And suddenly, she got up and walked back to Treech's body. Grasping one ankle, she began to move him to the morgue, but Reaper bolted up and began to shout something at her, hurrying down the stands. At this, Lucy Gray let go of the body and ran to the nearest tunnel, causing Reaper to sigh out of relief and drag Treech to his morgue. Satisfied, he made his way back to the stands when suddenly, he heard something echo from the tunnel, something that the mics couldn't pick up. Even Lucy Gray stopped as she appeared out of a tunnel. Sabyn.

Reaper didn't notice Lucy Gray and bolted into the tunnel. Everyone murmured in confusion as they watched the boy disappear, Lucy Gray looking at the camera with a raised brow. And then a girl let out a bloodcurdling scream. A scream that caused Dorothy to jump from her seat, standing up. Sabyn. 

Sabyn came darting out of the tunnel, fear on her face as Reaper followed after her. Dorothy felt her heart in her throat as she clung to Coriolanus, who stood up to stop her from falling. But nothing could support her trembling legs as she watched Sabyn run for her life, arms and legs pumping and as she nearly reached the barricade, Dorothy felt a sliver of hope. But then Reaper grabbed Sabyn's flying hair, yanking her back, causing her to go tumbling onto the ground. And everything that happened then was in slow motion for Dorothy. It was so excruciatingly slow.

It was so slow as Reaper got on his knees and began to pound his fist into Sabyn's face. So slow as Sabyn cried out for Lucy Gray's help. So slow as Sabyn tried to claw her way out of Reaper's grasp. So horrendously slow as the boy decided his fist was not enough and instead decided to grab Sabyn by the throat, slamming her down into the ground repeatedly like Treech did to the snake. It all seemed so slow as Reaper finally stopped beating Sabyn, checking her pulse, lifting her up, and adding her to his morgue. It all seemed slow, Sabyn's death. 

Dorothy didn't know what to do. She didn't feel Coriolanus bringing her into his chest or Clemensia's hand on her shoulder. She didn't hear Lucky announce that they had reached the top two. But all Dorothy knew was that Sabyn was dead. Sabyn was dead. She was alive. But now she was dead.

And as Lepidus began to stroll over to Dorothy, all she could feel was everyone's pitiful glances. Sabyn didn't like pity. She had once said to Dorothy she didn't want her pity and whilst they had broken that statement several times, Dorothy seemed to understand why. Pushing Lepidus out of the way, Dorothy picked up her chair and softly placed it beside Vipsania's before walking out of Heavensbee Hall. 

Sabyn was dead. Sabyn was dead. Sabyn was dead. That was all that echoed around Dorothy's mind as she exited the Academy. Sabyn, the sweet, pretty, comedic girl was dead. Dorothy's tribute, Sabyn, was gone. Dorothy's friend was gone. And it must have been the state of shock that she was gone, just like the shock that she had felt with all the others, because she did not cry. Instead, she let her feet take her somewhere. And that was how she found herself at the park. That was where she began to sob into her hands as she sat on the swing. 

There was no words to describe how Dorothy was feeling. The echo of Sabyn's scream was ringing in her ears. The memory of Reaper beating her to death was enough to make her puke in her mouth. Enough to make her want to run away. Enough to make her want to fly away.

"Dottie?" 

A voice that she had not heard in person for a long time echoed around, a hand being laid on her shoulder. Dorothy turned her head to see Sejanus standing behind her, his own tears in his eyes as he stared down at Dorothy. And whilst Sejanus tried to say something else, Dorothy leaped from the swing and into his arms, sobbing into his chest as she gripped the lapels of his suit.

Now, there was many things Dorothy liked about Sejanus that she didn't realise before. She liked how he always so kind, liked how even if his life was on the line, he would go out of his way to protect them. She liked how he wasn't scared to do what was right, to stand up to those who did wrong. And then Dorothy loved the way his eyes lit up whenever someone told an amusing joke or the way his smile beamed at her whenever she spoke to him. And then how he managed to convince Dorothy that she was not this power-hungry woman who she was manipulated to be. He had opened her up to a whole new side of herself, the side that Dr Gaul had described as love, hope, and peace. But the one thing she loved most of all was how he didn't say a word, instead just tangling his hand into her hair as he held her because he knew no words could fill the void that Sabyn Peterson had left.

"How did you know I'd be here?" Dorothy sobbed as she lifted her head up from his chest, staring into his eyes.

"I had a feeling." Sejanus shrugged, though he looked sad, like he was mourning. He did know Sabyn. 

"I hate them!" Dorothy cried as she buried his face into the crook of his neck. "I hate them all. I wish I could just fly away from here with you like you had said. They killed Sabyn."

"I know, I know," Sejanus cooed as he stroked her hair. "But, Dottie. Dottie, listen to me." She lifted her head. "She's still with you. She's still here, in your heart. And if you keep her memory alive, she'll always be with you. Always."

Dorothy looked at Sejanus. She looked at him, studied him, studied every freckle that dotted across his cheeks, studied how his hair occasionally got ruffled by the wind, how his eyes had some sort of sad sparkle in them. And in that moment with tears pouring down her cheeks, she chose the side that Dr Gaul had advised her not to. She pulled Sejanus in. 

He stiffened the moment her lips caressed his, but soon, he tightened his grip on her waist and head, kissing her back with the same amount of passion and love as she did. And as he did, something exploded in Dorothy. Something that she had not felt before. She wasn't sure what it was, but she wanted more of it, she wanted to keep it forever. Maybe it was love. Maybe it was glee. Maybe it was joy. Whatever it was, Dorothy adored it, wrapping her arms around Sejanus's neck.

She smiled as she, hesitantly, pulled back, her tears still running, but the beaming smile that was on Sejanus's face was more than enough. But then Sabyn. But no, there was no 'but then Sabyn'. Sabyn with Sejanus's help had managed to show Dorothy the side she wanted. The side where she didn't want power or to be the best at everything and become something great. They showed her the side where she wanted to drown in Sejanus's embrace, the side where all she wanted to do was fly away with him. 

"Why did you do that?" Sejanus murmured as he raised a hand, caressing Dorothy's cheek.

"Why do you think, Sej?" Dorothy smiled faintly at him. "I've come to realise that maybe... you're more than just a friend to me."

"Well, that's good." Sejanus panted. "It took you long enough."

"And you?" Dorothy said as she laid a hand on his chest, feeling his heart. "What about you?"

"What do you mean what about me? Of course I feel the same." Sejanus chuckled. "I really thought you would get the hint when I described that mysterious girl that definitely was you."

"Well, I had other things on my mind," Dorothy told him. "But now, all I have on my mind is you."

Sejanus was the one to bring her in for a kiss this time, smirking against her lips as she chuckled, cupping his jaw. And when they withdrew, they suddenly realised what had happened with the Games and the two drowned in each other's embrace. Sabyn was dead.

"Come on," Sejanus murmured as he softly kissed Dorothy's temple, taking her hand.

"Where are we going?"

"To distract you," Sejanus told her. "You need to be distracted. You've been stressed to the bone, I can tell."

"I probably should be getting back to the Hall—"

"I'm sure they can survive without you for a while," Sejanus said.

And so, Dorothy let Sejanus guide her to wherever he pleased. They wandered around the Capitol, hands interlocked as they laughed at the drunk people who were celebrating the Games. Someone had won. Whether it was Reaper or Lucy Gray, the pair didn't know. They tried desperately to ignore the big screens that were stuck up around the Capitol streets. They didn't want any reminders of the Games or what their life was. 

Sejanus showed Dorothy many things in the Capitol and she was surprised at how much stuff she didn't know existed. He took her to an outdoor restaurant, where he paid for the food. Dorothy would have liked to, but she was about to get evicted from her apartment. And then, Sejanus took her to a recreation centre, where they spent most of the day there. And when they got out, the sun was setting and Dorothy knew she should be getting home to Tigris, Coriolanus, and the Grandma'am.

"Of course," Sejanus said when Dorothy told him. "I'll walk you home."

And so he did. Sejanus walked Dorothy back to her building arm in arm. And when they reached the lobby, Dorothy didn't want to go, but she had to. Sejanus assured her he would see her tomorrow and with a kiss on the cheek, he left.

Dorothy couldn't help but beam as she skipped into the elevator, pressing the button for their floor. And whilst her mood was all giddy and joyful, it soon turned sour the moment she got to the door.

"When do you leave?" Dorothy heard Tigris say as she walked inside.

"Tomorrow morning," Coriolanus said faintly.

"What's going on?" Dorothy asked. Coriolanus turned around and nearly started sobbing at the sight of her. His eyes were red and puffy that Dorothy thought Lucy Gray might had died, but her suspicions were proven wrong when she saw the bakery cake on the table and two tin horns. Maybe Lucy Gray won.

"You haven't heard?" Coriolanus swallowed. "He hasn't rubbed it in your face yet?"

"Heard what? Who's rubbed what in my face?" Dorothy asked him, bemused.

And then Coriolanus told her everything. Told her how he had cheated in the Games. First with smuggling food out of the Academy (something Dorothy did as well, but how she wasn't caught, she supposed Sabyn had something to do with that), then with giving Lucy Gray a compact that was their mother's. The girl had apparently filled it with rat poison, leading it to Wovey and Reaper's death, leading to her becoming the Victor. And then to a handkerchief that belonged to their father, a handkerchief that had Lucy Gray's scent on it, the object Coriolanus had dropped into the snake cage. And the consequences to these actions were serious. Coriolanus were to be a Peacekeeper in District Twelve.

"You can't be serious." Dorothy shook her head when hearing this.

"I am."

"When will you be back?" The Grandma'am asked as Dorothy held onto the wall.

"I don't know," Coriolanus said. He was lying. He knew and it probably would be a long time, longer than what the Grandma'am would last.

"Remember, Coriolanus," the Grandma'am began to say as she stood up from her chair, "that wherever you go, you will always be a Snow. No-one can ever take that from you."

"I'll try to one day be worthy of it." Coriolanus nodded. "Maybe Dottie can fill my shoes whilst I'm gone."

"Like I'll fit in them," Dorothy murmured. No, she would never be able to be Coriolanus. And she didn't want to be either.

"Come on, Coryo," Tigris said. "I'll help you pack."

Once Tigris and Coriolanus walked to his room to pack, Dorothy slowly walked over to a chair, the Grandma'am sitting back down. So much had happened today. Sabyn had died. Coriolanus was going to leave for District Twelve. And Dorothy was in love with Sejanus Plinth.

"Are you all right?" The Grandma'am's shaky voice echoed around.

"I will be." Dorothy nodded. Her twin was leaving and the old woman seemed to notice the difficult time she was in, for she stopped the conversation there. 

Dorothy tried to go to sleep that night, but she couldn't. And so, she laid in her bed, staring up at the ceiling. She wondered how Coriolanus was feeling. But he was rather quiet the morning he was due to leave.

"How long are you actually leaving for?" Dorothy corned Coriolanus the next morning. He was wearing a frayed pair of uniform pants, a threadbare shirt, and broken flip-flops that Dorothy would normally have teased him if they weren't in a serious conversation.

"Twenty years."

Dorothy nearly fainted. Twenty years. Twenty years Coriolanus would be gone for. When he came back, Dorothy would be thirty-eight. Coriolanus would be thirty-eight. Would he even come back to the Capitol? Or would he live the rest of his days in Twelve?

"Promise me something, Coryo," Dorothy said, her voice trembling. "Promise me you come back."

"I'll come back," Coriolanus said way too quickly. "I swear, Dottie. I'll come back."

"Hey, you never know," Dorothy said. Tears were filling in her eyes. Her twin was leaving for twenty years. "You might have some nieces and nephews by then."

"You with children?" Coriolanus laughed. Tears filled his eyes as well. "Keep dreaming."

"I am great with children." Dorothy smacked his arm. "But you're probably right. I'd be a terrible mother."

"You'd be the greatest mother ever, Dottie," Coriolanus told her. "When I come back, I'd except you to be happy with a family. Find a nice man."

"The man I've found, you won't like."

"Who—? You're kidding."

"Not in the slightest, Coryo."

Although their bicker did lift the mood, it instantly dropped the moment they reached the Recruitment Centre. The streets were deserted, but Coriolanus still took the disguise Tigris gave him. He turned around and said, "I've left you two with everything to deal with. The apartment, the taxes, the Grandma'am. I'm so sorry. If you two never forgive me, I'll understand."

"Nothing to forgive," Tigris told him. "Write as soon as you can?"

"Of course," Coriolanus said as the two cousins hugged tightly. 

"You become the best Peacekeeper District Twelve has ever seen," Dorothy teased him, though tears soon slipped down her cheeks. "You better come back or I'll be the one to kill you."

Coriolanus didn't say anything except from a, "I love you, Dottie," and the two embraced so tightly, hugged tighter than ever before, scared to let the other go. But soon, Coriolanus turned and marched into the Centre, leaving Tigris and Dorothy behind for twenty years.

And whilst Tigris went back to the apartment, saying she needed to go check on the Grandma'am, Dorothy didn't follow. Instead, she went to the playground and sat on the swing. She figured Sejanus would show up soon. And he did. He did except he was wearing a dirty, old jumper, a pair of pants, and broken trainers. Dorothy felt her stomach drop.

"Please, don't say you're leaving as well," Dorothy instantly said as she rushed to him, bringing him for an embrace. "I can't lose you for twenty years as well."

"What?" Sejanus stepped back to get a good look at her face. "How did you know I was leaving?"

"Oh, so you are?" Dorothy cried. "Coriolanus left just this morning. Dean Highbottom caught him cheating in the Games and sent him to become a Peacekeeper in Twelve."

"Dottie." Sejanus sighed. "I'm going to Twelve to be a Peacekeeper as well." That was when Dorothy began to sob. "Since I entered the arena, I was on the verge of expulsion. But my father said he'd pay for a new gymnasium if they let me graduate and sign up for the Peacekeepers. And Professor Sickle really wanted a new gym."

"For how long?" Dorothy sobbed. "Twenty years as well?"

"Yes."

"I've lost Coryo and now I've lost you!" Dorothy said as she threw her arms around Sejanus's neck, clinging to him.

"You haven't lost me," Sejanus murmured in her ear. "In twenty years, I'll come back to you. Will you wait twenty years for me?"

"I'd wait a hundred for you," Dorothy told him. "I'd wait the entire length of my life to see you."

"Well, let's pray you live longer than twenty years."

"Let's pray you do as well."

Sejanus was due to leave soon after Coriolanus, in the afternoon. And whilst Dorothy should have done something meaningful with him, they spent most of their time crying and kissing on the park bench. It should've been grander, their goodbye, but the pair were in a state of shock. Dorothy was still shocked about the sudden absence of her brother. But the fact that Sejanus had to leave as well was destroying, even as she sobbed in his arms outside of the Recruitment Centre later that day.

"Don't go, Sej," she sobbed. "Don't leave me."

"You know I'd never leave you willingly," Sejanus cooed as he rubbed her back. "Dottie, please."

"Be safe," Dorothy told him as she withdrew from their embrace, wiping her tears. "And don't forget me."

"Oh, Dottie, I could never forget you." Sejanus chuckled, but when he saw her raised brow, he added, "Okay, what if I said I loved you. Will that make you feel better?"

"Then I simply wouldn't believe it."

"You better believe it, because I do," Sejanus said. "I love you, Dorothy Snow."

"I love you, Sejanus Plinth."

And with one final, passionate kiss, Sejanus left to enter the Centre, leaving Dorothy to feel more alone than she ever had done before. She had little time with Sejanus and now, she had to wait twenty years to reconcile? She may be dead by that time, for a lot could happen in twenty years. And as Dorothy watched Sejanus leave, she felt like she shouldn't of let him go.

Dorothy should have tried harder to get Sejanus to stay. She should have flown away with him like he said. She should have tried harder. Cried harder. Begged harder. She should have stopped Sejanus from entering the arena in the first place. She should have never let him go that day on the stairs. If she had made him stay, he would still be in the Capitol. If Dorothy had tried harder to make Sejanus stay, then maybe things could be different. She never should have let him go.

Because if Dorothy Snow hadn't of let Sejanus Plinth leave, then maybe he would still be alive.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro