21 - Poor Neve Longbottom

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Upon my return to Hogwarts, the first thing I did as I entered the Great Hall for dinner, was seek out Draco.

I had missed Trevor so much, and I desperately wanted to know how he'd been.

Draco was sat between Crabbe and Goyle at the Slytherin table, his eyes automatically finding mine as I took my seat next to Hermione amongst the Gryffindors. He gave me the briefest nod, and I knew he was telling me that Trevor was fine.

I allowed a small appreciative smile to tug at my lips in return.

"Hey, Neve," Hermione said tentatively. "How... how are you?"

"I'm fine," I said stiffly, reaching across the table to start piling potatoes onto my plate.

I could feel her eyes look on me pityingly. This was exactly why I didn't want anyone to know; I didn't want to be known as the girl with the addled parents. I didn't want people to be kind to me just because they felt sorry for me.

I wanted people to like me for me.

And then a cold, unpleasant thought occurred to me. Was Draco only being nice to me because he found out what his aunt did?

Was it just pity?

It turned out, however, he had had no idea.

Just two days after we arrived back to Hogwarts, I cheerfully walked into the Great Hall for breakfast only to be greeted with funny looks and furtive murmurs.

"I think you should see this, Neve," Hermione said in a quiet nervous voice, sliding a copy of the Daily Prophet in front of me once I'd found my way apprehensively to the Gryffindor table.

I looked down and immediately felt something cold clutching at my heart as I read the headline before me.

MASS BREAKOUT FROM AZKABAN

And below this terrifying headline, amongst the pictures of the escaped convicts, was a picture of a horrifyingly, familiar witch, looking back at me sinisterly through heavy lidded eyes. I gulped as I read the caption below.

Bellatrix Lestrange, convicted of the torture and permanent incapacitation of Frank and Alice Longbottom.

Panic rose in my chest. I couldn't believe this was happening. I lifted my head, allowing my eyes to sweep the Hall again. It seemed that most students were poring over copies of their own; curious eyes darting to me with looks of morbid interest on their faces. I couldn't breathe. I needed air.

And, as I got to my feet and fled from the Hall, I couldn't bring myself to look over to the Slytherin table.

Draco Malfoy felt a lightness in his heart as he strode across the Entrance Hall towards the Great Hall for breakfast.

He'd had a good Christmas, despite having to stay on at Hogwarts. His mother had apologised profusely to him, stating that his father was hosting many important 'business' meetings at the Manor and it would be best if Draco wasn't present for them.

Draco, of course, knew exactly what that meant. And he also knew it was his mother's way of trying to shield him from it all.

But it turned out Draco had been glad to stay at school. Especially after Neve Longbottom had approached him about her toad.

He was a funny thing, that Trevor, and Draco was surprised to find he'd grown a sort of attachment to it. He supposed it was after he'd looked after him in second year.

A funny squirming sensation arose in his stomach. Okay, so he'd kidnapped Trevor in second year to play a cruel trick on Neve. He thought it had been funny at the time; and he had been keen to impress Pansy.

But now he felt... ashamed. Disgusted even. When he looked at Neve now, he wondered how he could ever have been so cruel.

Ever since the Yule Ball when they had danced together, Draco had found himself inexplicably drawn to her. He couldn't deny that she had grown beautiful over the years, but it was more than that - there was something about her innocence that made him want to swoop in and protect her.

He supposed it was guilt making him feel this way. He had treated her utterly appallingly and he was surprised she even acknowledged him after the things he had said and done to her in the past.

But she did, and he had spent Christmas not thinking about much else. He only wished she wasn't a Gryffindor. And even more so; he wished she didn't hang around with that twat, Potter and his loser friends.

Neve was too good for them. But, he thought morosely, she was probably too good for the likes of him, too.

Something he decided was a fact when he sat down to read the headlines at breakfast that morning.

No, no, no, he thought with a cold horror as he saw his aunt's picture. And, when he read the names of the victims she'd tortured, his heart actually stopped.

Longbottom.

He had to stop a strangled cry that had threatened to escape him. It couldn't be, how had he never realised this before?

"Looks like your Auntie Bella might be paying a visit soon," Pansy cackled as she took the empty seat next to him. "We should thank her for doing the world a favour. Oh, how I can't wait to see Longbottom's face when she realises!"

"Alice and Frank," Draco tried to say casually, but found his voice sounding disturbingly strangled as he attempted to loosen his tie, "they're Longbottom's...?"

"Mummy and Daddy," Pansy grinned wickedly. "Where have you been, Drakie? I assumed you knew - I thought that was why you enjoyed making her life a misery?"

Draco thought he was going to vomit.

"Ooo - look, here she comes!" Pansy squealed, clutching his arm in excitement.

Shaking her off, Draco looked up, and found his heart fluttering as he watched Neve billow through the doors, the smile on her face faltering as she realised the majority of the Hall were glancing curiously up at her.

She hasn't heard yet, Draco thought, and had the strangest desire to jump to his feet and whisk her away.

But he found he was rooted to his seat in a kind of frozen horror as he watched her take a seat next to Granger, who slid the offending article across the table in front of her.

And when Neve got to her feet and fled from the Hall, Draco didn't hesitate to follow.

"Neve!"

I had just reached the bottom of the stone steps outside of the castle when the familiar voice halted me in my tracks.

My heart racing, I slowly turned on the spot. Draco Malfoy was speedily hurrying down the steps towards me, his face pinched in concern.

"I didn't know," he panted breathlessly, his grey eyes pained as he caught up with me, "I'm so sorry."

"You didn't know?" I asked disbelievingly, "You didn't know about what your aunt did, or about my parents?"

"I knew she was in Azkaban for torture... but I had no idea it was your parents that she- that she..." he trailed off, his face shrouded in complete anguish. "I'm so, so sorry, Neve."

"I don't think anyone really knew," I whispered, my voice trembling as I felt tears prickle behind my eyes. "I never said anything because I never wanted the pity."

I looked away, the cold wind whipping my hair around my face. I didn't have a coat on and I suddenly realised I was shivering.

"Where are you going, Neve?" Draco asked, his voice low and gentle. "You... you probably shouldn't be out-"

"What, in case your aunt tries to make it a Longbottom hat trick?" I spat sharply as a wave of anger bolted through my stomach.

My anger quickly diminished though and the next thing I knew I had dissolved into tears.

To my surprise, I found myself quite suddenly engulfed in a pair of arms as I was pulled up against a warm, firm chest.

"I'm sorry," he murmured against my ear, tightening his arms around me, making me feel wonderfully safe.

This act of comfort coming from Draco alarmed me more than the morning's headlines.

And I did the only thing I could think of doing right then; a typically Neve Longbottom thing.

I cocked it up.

In one fluid motion, I lifted my face and, reaching up on tiptoes, I pressed my lips against his.

As quick as a flash, his arms flew out and he jumped back, a look of startlement flitting across his face as if I'd just burnt him.

"Neve... I- I-" he stuttered, looking utterly horrified by what I'd just done. "I didn't mean for..."

I felt my heart crushing. I'd misread the signs entirely.

"I- I'm sorry!" I gasped, feeling utterly mortified.

I couldn't leave quick enough, and immediately turned to hurry back up the steps.

When he didn't try to stop me or even call me back, I knew then I had gotten it so wrong.

Draco Malfoy wasn't my prince; he simply pitied me, just like everyone else when they looked at me.

Poor Neve Longbottom.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro