10 | Kai-Se

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

The interlocking planks holding up the ceiling greeted Kai-Se when he opened his eyes. Ugh. What time was it? He shifted, noting how he had been lying on his side, sprawled like a lanky cat. His fenhai was still intact, though he was sure he had thrown something on top of it when he left the room a while ago. The meeting with the Minister...what happened to it?

His memory was in shambles, bits and pieces flitting in and out like birds in summer. What went on after he left the Jade Palace? Did he even make it out? If so, how in Amatesu's name did he end up in his room?

Well, whatever. He should get up. Maybe he'd finally get something done since he's done with the last meeting he had lined up for the rest of the week. With a groan, he pushed his heavy body off the bed, clutching the side of his head when a pang throbbed against it. Just a minor headache. He's fine. Unlike the other times, this one was mild. He could work with that.

"Thinking of work again?" a familiar voice speared through Kai-Se's thoughts. It belonged to someone who shouldn't be here, out of all places.

His gaze snapped to the soldier's frame leaning against a pillar supporting the upper deck where his bed was with his arms crossed over his chest. "Nao-Zai," Kai-Se breathed. "What are you doing here? How are you here?"

A mock look of hurt flashed across the soldier's face. Then, Kai-Se noticed the red sleeves tucked into arm binders, the lamellar thrown over the red fenhai, the dark trousers, and the shin-high leather boots laced tight over them. Right. He worked here now.

"I've been assigned to the Saengje Region," Nao-Zai said, talking about it like he knew what it really was. He flashed his iconic grin at Kai-Se. "It looks like you're going to see me more often than not."

Kai-Se blew a breath. How much had Nao-Zai known about what's going on? Did Chi-Sae break her oath and told the soldier as well? Should Kai-Se just send the court lady away? If she kept blabbering Kai-Se's condition, he wouldn't even see the fortnight through.

So, he waved his hand at Nao-Zai. "Go away," he said. Until he was sure Nao-Zai really knew what's going on, he would have to feign innocence and pretend he wasn't scared out of his wits. "I have work to attend to."

Nao-Zai frowned. Kai-Se hid his amusement to himself. He had never thought he'd see that old-man look of disapproval again. "You asked me to stay and now you're telling me to go away," the soldier said. He hadn't moved from his seated position, with one of his legs dangling from the other side of the raised platform leading to his quarters. "Which order should I follow, Your Highness?"

Kai-Se knitted his eyebrows. Stay? When had he asked Nao-Zai that? If anything, he wanted the soldier to go as far away from him and the Butterfly Palace as possible. "I don't know what you're talking about," he brushed his hair off his forehead and swept his legs off the bed.

He still felt sluggish and heavy, but he had enough lying around and doing nothing. One look from the window, into the world outside, told him considerable time had passed and was still passing. No time to waste. Certainly no time to give to silly things like going out of the palace and telling stories. It has been ages since he got to do that and he's not planning on doing so any time soon.

Nao-Zai raised an eyebrow in Kai-Se's direction. "Oh, I do," the soldier said. "I know what I'm talking about."

The glint in his eyes told Kai-Se that he knew something Kai-Se didn't. What was it? Why wasn't Nao-Zai disclosing it? A ball of dread gripped his already-tight stomach. Oh, dear. Did he...did he make a fool out of himself? That could only mean—

"I know," Nao-Zai said, earning Kai-Se's attention back. He hadn't even realized he had started training his gaze towards a random vase. He forced himself to keep his eyes locked with Nao-Zai's. "Nobody told me anything and I didn't tell anyone either, if that's what you're worrying about."

Kai-Se clenched his jaw. So, Nao-Zai eventually found out about it despite his best efforts to hide it. "How?" he asked. The answer wouldn't be the prettiest but he'd learn to avoid making the same mistakes again. Just to buy himself some time.

When the story had all been laid out, Kai-Se felt his headache blossom further, now taking the back of his head. It still pulsed in his temples, making his vision sharpen and blur at random intervals.

Nao-Zai finished his story when he and Chi-Sae brought Kai-Se inside this room. A beat of silence passed by between them as Kai-Se took it all in. He had collapsed, hurled his guts out, and promptly fell unconscious for about twelve hours. That's...greater than every episode he'd had since this started. Was the sickness becoming worse?

"Thank you," Kai-Se blurted before he could run out of energy to do so. "I don't know what would have happened if you're not there."

"Do you really not remember what you said yesterday?" Nao-Zai prompted.

Ah, so he did say something yesterday. Kai-Se sighed. "I don't remember half the things I do on a daily basis," he said. "I just...wake up in places I'm supposed to be."

A look of concern crumpled Nao-Zai's features. Kai-Se's throat constricted further when the soldier straightened and started walking towards him. "Doesn't that concern you?" Nao-Zai asked. The sheets rustled and the mattress creaked against the soldier's weight as he dropped down next to Kai-Se. Too close. Closer than how Kai-Se would have preferred to keep people at. "You could have died in the Wind Palace. Spirits, does this not concern you at all?"

The anger in Nao-Zai's tone was something Kai-Se didn't want to think about. Instead, Kai-Se looked down at his hands. His fingers felt like useless sticks and shook so much he doubted he could even hold a quill. "I..." he squeezed his eyes shut and winced. He tried again.

"It does concern me, Nao-Zai," Kai-Se said, keeping his tone firm and like he knew what he was doing. His shoulders slumped as a new kind of weariness seeped into his muscles. "I just...I don't think I can hold on any longer."

And it's true.The symptoms had worsened just now. If this continued, he wouldn't even be here three days from now. As much as he liked to lie to himself, the prospect of passing on, of dying...it scared him.

What's worse, he couldn't even do anything to prevent it. Every day of his life was spent whether he would run out of korza and keel over. Then, he'd go to sleep (or be forced to unconsciousness) and wonder if there was still tomorrow to see. It's harrowing, to say the least. And he wanted none of it. Not anymore. He had been so strong at the prospect, but now...

It simply had gone too long. Without any future in sight.

"You said the same thing yesterday," Nao-Zai folded his fists over his knees. "Will I have to assume everything else follows?"

Kai-Se clicked his tongue. "Stop asking me questions I know nothing about," he said. "Whatever I said to you that night should stay that night. Now, move. I have to work."

Before he could stand up, something whizzed in his periphery. Hands pressed down on his shoulders, locking him in place, somewhere between crouching and sitting down. "Chi-Sae strongly told me to keep you in bed for the whole day," Nao-Zai said. It occurred to Kai-Se then that the soldier's hands were anywhere on his person and that Nao-Zai's hold wasn't forceful that it hurt but was still surprisingly strong.

"Don't believe Chi-Sae," Kai-Se squirmed against Nao-Zai's grip but the soldier didn't budge. It's not like Kai-Se had the strength to even bother anymore. He just plopped back down on the bed and mussed his hair, sending the already tangled locks to get twisted with each other some more. "Fine. Whatever. Just get me those documents there."

Nao-Zai followed the direction where Kai-Se's finger pointed. "But that's work," he said, as if he was describing something that's so incredibly obvious and couldn't understand why Kai-Se was even referring to it. "You're not allowed to work."

A sense of frustration welled up within Kai-Se. This was why he didn't want people to know. They'd start coddling him like an infant once they do. "I am the Crown Prince of the Xuijae Empire," he snapped. "I can very well do as I please."

"And maybe tire yourself while you're at it?" Nao-Zai countered. Kai-Se opened his mouth to quip back but the soldier wasn't done. "I'd love to argue with you about anything else in this wide world but not this one, Kai-Se. Please. When was the last time you even ate something?"

Kai-Se twiddled with his fingers, his mind scanning through his recent memories just to satisfy the soldier's questions so he could get on with his day. Was Nao-Zai talking about something substantial? Then that'd be a week ago. Of course, he threw it all up eventually. Or was Nao-Zai aiming for the time when he had eaten just anything? That'd be two days ago, if memory served. He had hurled it out too.

"I don't know," was the answer that came out. "I don't remember."

Nao-Zai didn't say another word but stood up from the bed. The sudden absence made the air around Kai-Se strangely empty. But, it wasn't long after that the soldier returned, bearing a tray with a bowl sitting atop it.

"It's a good thing Chi-Sae asked me to give you this," Nao-Zai said, stepping back to let Kai-Se gawk down at the bowl of noodles in front of him. "She says she'd have my head if I didn't make you finish it."

Kai-Se blinked. He had to admire the court lady's tenacity to get him to eat something. He had to shake his head, though. "I don't want it," he said, pushing the bowl away ever so slightly.

Nao-Zai waved his hand at it. "But it's noodles," he said. "Didn't you say that if you could only eat one thing for the rest of your life, it'd be noodles?"

"Don't throw that back at me," Kai-Se snapped. Deep inside though, he couldn't erase the amusement curling in his gut. Why would Nao-Zai remember that out of all the silly things he said? "That was then. It's different now."

Nao-Zai inclined his head to one side. "How is it any different now?"

Because Kai-Se had already developed an irrational fear of food since he knew what would end up happening? Because he stopped having an appetite since forever ago? Because he found the sight of food already nauseating?

"I don't know," Kai-Se said.

"You don't know an awful lot of things, Your Highness," Nao-Zai noted.

Kai-Se rolled his eyes. "Surely you don't expect me to know everything, do you, soldier?"

Nao-Zai chuckled. It was good to see and hear that before Kai-Se keeled over. "Just eat what you can, hmm?" the soldier suggested. "I'll let Chi-Sae know you tried your best."

Then, he leaned in and with a conspiratorial whisper, said, "Besides, I don't want to lose my head," he shivered slightly. "That woman's scary."

A laugh bubbled up in Kai-Se's throat, making him forget about his headache for a moment. "Chi-Sae can be scary. But you know what?" he said, shrugging and picking up the chopsticks beside the bowl. "I'd rather you have your head on you. Let me save you this time around, soldier."

The way Nao-Zai froze told Kai-Se he had struck a nerve. What kind of nerve, though? No idea. Instead, Kai-Se forced his weak fingers to grip the utensils and shovel food down his mouth. The salty brine of the soup touched his lips before being deleted by his brain. The soup had cooled long ago but it would do. At this point, anything would do just to keep him stumbling along.

So, the next few minutes were spent with him quietly slurping noodles and Nao-Zai watching his every movement with hawk-like eyes. Finally, when Kai-Se felt like he couldn't hold back his nausea anymore, he set the chopsticks down and pushed the bowl away. For real, this time. Nao-Zai didn't move from his perch and continued to stare at him.

"Stop that," Kai-Se snapped, ducking behind his wide sleeves to hide his face.

Nao-Zai decided to toy with him when he put on a confused smile. "Stop what?"

Kai-Se just shook his head. "Just take that away and get out of here."

Nao-Zai obliged with the first request and pretended to not hear the second one. Kai-Se frowned when the soldier was back in front of him in a flash. "Don't you have somewhere to be?" he asked. "Or...I don't know, have your soldier duties or something?"

Nao-Zai hummed. "I'm still waiting for Chi-Sae, though," he said. "She and I agreed you can't be left alone now."

It was Kai-Se's turn to cross his arms. "And where was I in that decision?"

"Too busy talking in your sleep and trying to not die?" Nao-Zai fired back. A small smile played at the corner of the soldier's lips. It was endearing and infuriating at the same time. Kai-Se wanted to wipe that off his face.Mostly because it's making him grin like a fool as well.

"Where is Chi-Sae anyway?" Kai-Se wondered aloud.

Nao-Zai glanced at the paper-paned doors. "She said she'll be back soon," he said. "She's probably out doing court lady stuff."

Kai-Se snorted. "Yeah, let's go with that," he said. After a beat, he jerked his chin at Nao-Zai. "Really, I'll be fine. I've eaten something so I won't keel over anytime soon. I won't even move from this bed until Chi-Sae gets here. I promise."

Nao-Zai studied Kai-Se with those piercing dark eyes. Could the soldier peer through souls? Was he a shaman too? "Fine," the soldier said, interrupting Kai-Se's train of thought. "It's not like you to make promises so you must be so eager to get rid of me. I'll go."

Relief burned through Kai-Se as Nao-Zai straightened and gave him a quick bow. "I'll be off, Your Highness," he said. And just like that, the soldier turned and traipsed to the door. Within seconds, the door slammed shut and Nao-Zai's frame was nowhere to be seen.

Kai-Se waited for Nao-Zai's footsteps to fade into nothing and for silence to descend in the halls once more. Then, he scrambled off the bed and lunged for the vase he had been looking at a while ago. Then, with a weak whimper, he retched. Searing pain scratched against his already-dry throat as he heaved. His stomach clenched as he tried his best to keep the sickening noise to himself.

When his gut has been emptied, transferred to the miry depths of the vase, the exhaustion settled in his muscles again. He stumbled away from the vase and crawled towards the balustrade gilding the raised half of his room. A step down lay the doors leading outside. He didn't have the strength to reach it but he had the senses left to discern what's going on on the other side.

"...just rumors," came Chi-Sae's unmistakable voice. The rustle of skirts told Kai-Se she's with company and they're nearing his room. "We can't be too certain there's another faction gathering against the Emperor until we've gathered enough evidence."

Kai-Se pressed himself harder against the balustrade, straining his ears. Chi-Sae's companion spoke. "What of the gatherings in the North?" said another woman with an equally authoritative voice. "They seem to be mounting more supporters by the day."

Chi-Sae blew a breath. Her shadow became visible from the paper-thin panes. "Again, we don't have concrete evidence yet. Just filed reports from distressed farmers and local herders," she said. Then, she dropped her voice with a hiss. "Don't breathe a word about this to your juniors. Keep this between us head court ladies, hmm?"

The other shadow hadn't even ebbed from the distance when Chi-Sae opened the door to Kai-Se's room and strode inside. It wouldn't take a genius to figure out what's wrong with him slumped down like a discarded doll. As Chi-Sae screamed his name and dashed towards him, his mind rambled with the various revelations he had learned.

A movement was happening in the north. That could only mean one of the ruling clans there had finally decided to make a move. He knew they should have tried to build relations with those clans before they tried to gain sympathy from the ones in the south. Now, they're reaping the consequences of that decision.

Chi-Sae dragged Kai-Se back to bed and, just like that, he was back to where it started. He thought none of it, though. If the clans were moving now, it meant they had found something to use against the Emperor. A strangled laugh erupted from his lips which made Chi-Sae flash him a look of concern. The court lady probably thought he's hallucinating again. Let her.

Because the clans probably knew there was something wrong with the dynasty the Emperor had built and it wouldn't take them long to pinpoint Kai-Se. Hurry. He had to hurry and find a cure for this blasted sickness. If he couldn't, not only would his time run out, it would spell the doom of the whole Empire too.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro