9. Always, forever.

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Before I ran away from my biological mother's place, the notion of neighbors was never established.

The only two friends, or coworkers, she had lived next door. They were the ones who helped her build her prostitution career. They were the closest thing we had to neighbors.

Our house was almost always brimming with visitors, her clients. Everything was just a mess. Lumps of humans were scattered everywhere, all over the dilapidated building we resided in.

People came and left.

Faceless living beings passing through our place, never leaving a mark, never making a difference.

To me, they were useless, ugly.

To my ex-mother, however, they meant profit, ecstasy, validation.

The apartment complex was situated in the shabby part of the city. Grime covered every possible surface. The walls threatened to fall down, the paint barely hanging on.

The notion of doors skipped the neighborhood. The windows? Let's not even discuss those.

Addicts littered the streets. Homeless people took shelter in any corner available and trash was strewn everywhere.

My eyes followed a group of kids playing to the far left of the park. There were no such sights back then. Heck, when I used to sneak out, I had to walk through piles of unconscious flesh and puddles of vomit.

There were no squealing teens, no waddling ducks, and no families on picnics.

I took the whole scene in, expecting to be overwhelmed but there was nothing but serenity.

Catherine was flipping through a magazine she bought on our way here. William was sprawled on the grass, one arm draped over his eyes. Our bikes were leaning against the tree beside us and I was sitting cross-legged, observing life unravel around us.

Crossroads of life, tangled roads, separate paths, parallel ways.

Each human, plant, and animal passing through here had a story to tell. Each tree, each rock, each drop and ripple of the pond.

My daydreaming was disturbed by the sound of approaching footsteps.

Our company had arrived.

I remember when I first met the Pattersons' neighbors.

It was three weeks after I moved in. They brought food with them and we had dinner together. Every week or so, a new family would visit so they could meet me, the new addition to the family.

The Baghdadis were the first to come over. The family consisted of the parents and five kids, three of which were away, one working, the other two in college. As for the remaining two, one was a senior in high school and the other was just four.

They were very kind, very respectful. But, and keep this a secret please, I was more interested in the food they brought along. Different cuisine, I drooled in anticipation.

It was still awkward though, like the other gatherings. I mostly kept to myself, glued to Cathie and watching them interact with each other.

The Beltráns came next – the parents, a girl in middle school, and twin boys. They were the loudest but their bantering was very entertaining and they were super fun to be around.

Then, Catherine's best friend would come over and spend some afternoons with us, sometimes even helping me progress with my studies. As a teacher, Miss Isabelle was very sweet, patient, and cheerful. I liked her.

William's best buddies visited us as well. Benjamin was as thin as a leaf, Twig was his nickname, and Dustin was burly. Both were opposites in their personalities, liked rival teams, and had opposite tastes in women. But, as I watched them reminisce about their college days, I couldn't help but admire their friendship.

They were my favorites; don't tell the others. Ben always brought a flower for me and Uncle D gave me shoulder rides.

All these people were coming over for a picnic with us, the Pattersons.

Spring was unpacking and it was the perfect opportunity for some quality time with family, or so Cathie said. According to her, Family was more than just blood ties. I was living proof of that.

Neither she nor Will had family relatives. She was an only child, her father passed away while on duty in the army and her mother struggled with cancer for years before finally resting. William on the other hand was an orphan. He liked to joke about being the illegitimate child of a wealthy family, but I could still sense the loneliness swirling in his warm, brown eyes.

As I watched everyone munch on their food, I wondered what my ex-mother was doing, if she ever had moments like this before being literally picked up and sold into bottomless pits of pain. I wondered if she ever tried to run, if she ever looked at me differently...if she ever loved me.

I sighed, turning my attention to the twins as they talked my ears off.

Board games, dessert, cycling around, bickering, guessing games...I was drained and needed to go home to rest a bit.

Today was very refreshing, new, and exhausting.

Saying our goodbyes with a promise to do this again, some headed for their cars, others on foot while we mounted our bikes.

The ride home was quiet. I took my time watching the houses blur by, the branches sway, and the birds soar through vast blues. I could never get tired of this, same views but different days, different feelings.

"Had fun today, Zee?"

I shot a smile at Cathie. "Very."

William hummed. "Good. Wanna stop by the bookstore, little one?"

I nodded, enjoying the sound of the packages knocking into each other in my basket. "Yes, yes, yes!"

He chuckled, flicking my forehead. "Keep your eyes on the road."

Rubbing the throbbing spot, my lips twitched, fighting off another smile. I loved how natural it felt just being with them, how much I fit in, how much they loved me.

I loved how much I loved them.

And, I loved them...big time, so much, deeply, utterly, and infinitely.

I loved them more than I could put into words.

Today was my birthday and I discovered how much love was caged within me. I discovered how much love was surrounding me.

Most important of all, I found that the greatest gift bestowed upon me was the Pattersons.

"I love you, guys."

Catherine was weeping on the couch, loudly sniffling while William covered his face with both of his hands, his shoulders shaking.

"I love you guys so, so much." My voice cracked. "You're the greatest gift I could have ever wished for. You're the greatest parents I could have ever asked for."

I could never repay them. So, I hope I can, at least, make them happy.

For a moment, my mind strayed to buried memories of sunken eyes and pallid cheeks and I smiled. It didn't matter to me anymore, not as much anyway. I still wanted to know but it wouldn't make a difference whether she ever cared about me. She wasn't here now. She was never there for me.

Catherine and William were. They were and they will always be.

"I love you. I love you. I love you. Always, forever."

A/N: after re-reading this chapter, most of it feels like info dumping 🙂💔 (or maybe I'm being too harsh on myself) BUT, aaaanyway, it's Zia recalling and counting down their neighbors/family friends so ain't gonna change a thing 😤

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro