4. Big Bang Analysis

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

I lifted my head from Lorne's chest and rubbed the drool off my cheek. Then looking at the wet patch on his shirt, I said, "Sorry, must have fallen asleep."

"And so peacefully."

"Ummm. How long?"

"Long enough to calm. You've had some terrible shocks."

"Yeah." I nodded to the weather report on the TV. "What did I miss? Is the fire out?"

"Didn't spread to the next units. It's now contained, and they're mopping up."

"Great! And the body?" I grimaced. "Him?"

"Still unidentified. Both have now been removed to the morgue for forensic examination."

"Forensic? Yeah, I suppose. Suspicious circumstances."

Lorne pointed toward the notepad beside him on the couch. "Are you up for some analysis? Or do you need a longer break?"

"Analysis?"

"While you were sleeping, I jotted some notes. Points of consideration to help us determine our next moves."

"Next moves?"

"We're unsure whether the fire's connected, but if it is, we need to find out how much they know. Analysing will help put pieces together and better understand this mess."

Nodding, I gazed into his eyes. "Yeah, okay. But let's cuddle, so I'm more comfortable. I'm still rather queasy with it."

He spread his arms, and I nestled into him, humming a sigh as he enfolded me.

After a long silence, he said, "My prime postulation is that they nabbed and held him while they decided what to do. Then they concocted a plan to make it appear as if you murdered him. Stage a murder-suicide scenario. Get both of you out of the way."

"But why me? Nathan's the one who confronted them."

"You witnessed it last week at Dalliance, and you said they had taken photos. You'd be able to point the police toward them."

"Yeah. But how would they get in? His keys are for Marinaside, not the Slopes. And wouldn't the wrong keys cause suspicion?"

"The dirty work is usually done by unthinking dolts. Thugs and goons who don't analyse – simply follow orders. When the keys didn't work, they'd pick the lock."

"Hmmm, yeah. Though, too risky to take the time for that. The door is right beside the little park where the neighbourhood gathers. Benches, picnic tables, kids' playground, dog area. Everybody knows everybody. Far too visible."

"Okay, then." He paused and tilted his head side to side. "Let's consider that they would have seen that when they cased the site. Planned to use the back entrance."

"Ummm." I nodded. "Yeah, the patio's enclosed by a hedge. We had a break-in and burglary a few months ago; the sliding door popped off its rails. Part of what prompted me to sell."

"Sliding doors are easy to jimmy. Much easier than picking a lock."

"Yeah, and they could have approached from the lane. Much less visible."

"Okay, so this scenario appears plausible."

Lorne examined the list of points on the pad. "Next, let's consider the name. The reporter was insensitive in spilling the woman's identity before next of kin notification, but her surname doesn't match Nathan's."

"Mine doesn't either. I kept it when we married – because of my readership."

"What about the reservations at Zack's and Dalliance? They'd know it from those."

"Nathan made all our reservations. Always in his name, keeping me anonymous for my reviews."

"Hmmm, okay. This may keep them satisfied for a while. Until someone digs. Then, you'll again be a target."

"Hunh? How so?"

"When the boss or one of his capos analyses."

"Are you convinced the Mafia is behind this?"

Lorne shook his head. "No, I'm convinced of nothing with this. But there are far too many red flags to ignore. We need to continue examining the worst-case scenarios, so we're not caught off guard."

"Yeah. Hold me tighter, Lorne. Rub my back."

We remained silent in our embrace, his hands sending shivers through my body with each stroke. I reached up, my hand finding his shoulder, then across it and up his neck to the soft stubble of his two-week beard. "Always wondered what this feels like. Now I know."

A low, rumbling hum was followed by his voice. "I like that, Kate."

"So do I. Wanted to do this since you began wearing it."

"Why didn't you?"

"By that time, I was married to Nathan. Wouldn't have been appropriate."

"Yeah. Likely still isn't until we know."

"Oh, God!" I shuddered.

"Sorry."

"No, it's me. On edge because of the unknowns."

Lorne unwrapped his arms and took his phone from a pocket. "Need to call the police and follow up on the missing person report. Inform them of our suspicions."

"Yeah, and I really need to go."

"What? It's not safe for you out there."

I chuckled and lowered a hand to my belly. "No, not that. I need to relieve this."

"Oh!" He took my hand and led me forward to the master cabin. "There's an ensuite head here where you can refresh. Electric flush, the buttons are obvious. Big for big, small for small. Let me get clean towels for you."

A while later, after I had dried my hands, I took a slow tour of the cabin, nodding my approval of the elegant space, then pressing my hand down on the bed, I smiled. Memory foam – this'll be comfortable. Whoah, girl! Out of there. I blew a deep breath.

As I entered the salon, I heard Lorne on the phone, "...best I do it, rather than her." He paused to listen, then continued, "Yeah, I've been there before. Too many times." After another pause, he said, "Thanks, I will."

When he pocketed his phone, I asked, "What was that?"

He winced as he spread his arms. "Another hug first."

After a long silence, he said, "There's a strong indication that it's Nathan. I need to go to the morgue."

"Oh, God! I'll go with you. No longer feel safe alone."

He held me tighter. "No, it's too much for you in your current state. Best you stay here and try to relax. Remain inside. The boat is secure and behind locked gates."

"Hmmm. You sure?"

"Does he have tattoos? Body piercings? Scars?"

"An eagle on his right shoulder, and... But you'll recognise his face."

"It's – hmmm." He cupped the back of my head and pulsed his hand. "It's beyond use for that."

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro