4. Stranger

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

DEDICATED TO MY FATHER ON HIS BIRTHDAY. HAPPY BIRTHDAY PAPA. I LOVE YOU AND YOU WILL ALWAYS BE THE FIRST MAN I LOVED.

"Love is a stranger with a strange language. Love is the language that cannot be said or heard."

-Rumi

______

7th May

Anindita's p.o.v.:

I walked up to the hotel  reception in order to check out. The lady at the reception handed over my check and a feedback form. It was time to return home after spending two days in the Big Apple. I had spent my time roaming the city, taking walks in Central Park and overcoming jet lag. 

Meeting Dada and my nephews had overwhelmed me and had caused my migraine pain to become severe after I had cried all night on the 4th. Fortunately, a strong dose of analgesic had helped it to subside. The other two nights had passed better and I had managed to get adequate sleep. Flying needs high alertness at all times and a stable sleep pattern is always considered necessary. 

I was relieved to have spent two nights without any nightmare or flashing memories. At least that would ensure a headache free flight back home.

The flight is scheduled to leave NYC at 17.00 hours EST and I reached the airport at 13.00 hours as I had no where else to go after checking out at noon!

I was done with the procedures and security check in no time. I am flying the aircraft EK 202 from JFK to DXB. 

The aircraft had not arrived which meant I had to roam about in the duty- free shops. I was tempted to buy a new watch looking at the ones on display but I cannot afford to buy a Rolex right now. The other watches namely Omega, Piaget, Longines, Tissot etc., were drawing me towards them but I managed to shush my greedy self. Turning to the other side of the atrium, I noticed male watches. This time however, I allowed myself to get carried away and stopped to purchase a Hublot watch for Baba with the hope that he would be able to wear it sometime soon. 

Looking at my watch, I realized that I still had about 1 hour before I was required at the gate. This gave me enough time to buy a book for Ma and another for myself. 

Just as I was done paying for the books, I turned only to face the same stranger who I had met on the 4th. I smiled at him politely when he greeted me,

"Hello Captain Mukherjee." 

"Hello Sir. Travelling back to India?" I asked him amicably

He nodded in affirmation, "By EK 202 to Dubai and then EK 500 back to Mumbai. Are you piloting both the air crafts?"

"Actually just the one from New York to Dubai. I will be a co-passenger on the same flight to Mumbai as you though." I replied

"Don't mind me asking this, actually I am just curious to know this. Why are you a passenger on the other flight instead of flying it?" he asked me hesitantly

"There is a specified limit in the number of hours of flying for an International pilot. The flight from NYC to Dubai is around 14 hours long, so we usually get a break of a day at least in order to recover from jet lag after such long journeys. Usually we are required to wait a day before flying another flight back to our home city, but I need to be back home by Sunday hence I decided to fly out as a passenger without waiting for a day or two." I explained 

People were pushing past us and that is when I realized that we had been talking to one another right in the middle of the corridor. He must have read my mind which is why he asked, "We are standing in other passengers' way. Perhaps, we can speak to one another in some other place. Or do you prefer not speaking to strangers?" 

I smiled. 

"Wasn't every friend that I am acquainted with today, a stranger at some point?"

The man allowed himself to smile very slightly, "Can't argue to that."

Third person's p.o.v.:

The two 'strangers' made their way to the Starbucks in the departure terminal. 

Under normal circumstances, Anindita wouldn't have yielded to any request from an unknown person. She had a well defined shell that she had built around herself consciously, following what had transpired 8 years ago. She seldom interacted with anyone outside her family and the only reason she made an exception for the gentleman was because there was something in him and about him which had intrigued her on the very first day.

His words and demeanor had been on her mind constantly.

"Why fear death when that is the only certain thing in out lives?" she had pondered over this for a while

The two of them took their seats at a table.

"Captain..." the gentleman began

"Sir, I am sure you can read my entire name on the badge. Although I am addressed as Captain formally, I wouldn't really mind being called by my first name." Anindita interrupted

"Anindita." 

Her eyes widened in realization when the man pronounced the name correctly.

"Either your mother tongue happens to be Bengali or you know how to speak the language." she stated

"Guilty as charged. It is the former. My name is Satyaki. Satyaki Ganguly. " he said and held out his hand for her to shake

"Doctor, Mister, Colonel, Captain, Major....?" Aninidita began after shaking hands with him

"Doctor." he replied, this time, his smile widening a bit

The waiter came up to their table for their orders just then;

"An espresso for me please and..." Satyaki placed his order looking at Anindita inquisitively

"Some water please. Sparkling. And an Almond cookie" Anindita added

Once the waiter had gone, Satyaki began conversation, "You don't drink coffee?"

"I do. But caffeine gives me a headache. Can't afford that right before a flight." she replied

"Migraine?" he asked raising his eyebrows

"Yes Doctor. How did you guess?" 

"Probably because this is my area of expertise. I am a Neurosurgeon you see." 

Anindita nodded and then an awkward silence followed.

The waiter got their orders to the table and Anindita lifted the glass of Sparkling water to her lips, taking a sip.

"Are you based in Mumbai?" he asked her while stirring his espresso after adding sugar to it

Anindita nodded in affirmation. They sipped their respective beverages and Anindita picked the crumbs off her cookie. 

There was a silence that neither of them bothered to break

After a while, Anindita glanced at her watch. It was time for her to report to the boarding gate.  Anindita pulled out her purse and put down a $5 bill on the table.

"I would have loved to talk to you for some more time but I am afraid I need to be on my way now. It was a pleasure meeting you, Dr. Ganguly." she said getting up from her seat

Satyaki followed suit and replied, "Likewise, Anindita. Hope to see you in Dubai."

And the two strangers parted ways; this time having their names to remember one another by.

14 hours and a flight later; Dubai

Anindita exited the cockpit with fatigue apparent on her face. She got her strolley from the cabin and collected the rest of her carry-on luggage carefully.

Dragging the strolley behind her, she made her way to the arrivals lounge and onward to the Connecting International Flights counter. Greeting back the girl at the counter, she pulled out her passport and ticket. The girl made her sign a few papers and checked in her luggage after handing over the boarding pass.

"You have been upgraded to Business class, Captain." she informed Anindita 

Anindita acknowledged her with a smile and moved on for security check.

Once all the formalities had been done with, Anindita found the time to loiter about Dubai Duty Free. She looked around at the various things available and then decided to get a pair of Dior sunglasses for her cousin sister. The liquor section was calling out to her and eventually she gave in to her curios self and started taking a look around. Dubai Duty Free offers a wide range of premium liquor at a discounted rate but Anindita knew better than to buy. Her mother would have a fit if she returned home with bags of alcohol. Just as she was about to sample a Glenlivet Scotch whiskey, a deep voice stopped her causing her to freeze in her place.

"Alcohol can trigger the worst possible migraine attacks, Anindita. You shouldn't be taking any."

She turned to see Satyaki  standing with his carry-on trolley bag and three Dubai Duty Free bags. She glanced at the contents; chocolates, toys and liquor!

She raised her eyebrows pointedly and Satyaki shifted uncomfortably, blurting out in his defense, "I am not forbidden from drinking any."

"Anyways! What's your seat number?" Satyaki asked her, abruptly changing the topic

"5A. And yours?" 

"5D. Two seats away I guess?"

"Actually it is just one seat away. In a Boeing 777-300ER, in Business Class, 5B and 5D are both aisle seats while 5A is a window seat. 5C is the aisle by itself." Anindita explained

Satyaki smiled, "And this of course is your area of expertise."

Anindita's point of view:

I was visibly awed when I slipped into my seat on the flight. I couldn't help being amazed as it was my first time travelling in Business Class. I have not really traveled anywhere for leisure and the times that I have flown commercially off duty were during situations like this and the economy class sufficed perfectly. 

"First time in Business class?" Satyaki asked me once the two of us had settled into our seats

The purser had informed us that 5B was a vacant seat and that had given the two of us the space to talk more during the 3 hour flight back home. I flushed red when he asked me the question. Was I behaving like some first time flyer? Was it so apparent? I mean I admit I had leaned back into the seat too comfortably to check it out and had also tried the different buttons on the seat in wonder...

I guess my expressions gave me away which made him let out a low chuckle, "There is nothing to be embarrassed about, Anindita."

I nodded and when the airplane push backed, I felt a childlike glee engulf me. Flying is my profession and I may have piloted several flights over the last 6 years but I have had little opportunity to cherish moments like this while flying. I peeped out of the window as the lights from the terminal began fading away and as we approached the runway. The flight began accelerating and we took off into the night sky. I kept looking down till the city lights disappeared due to clouds and fog. 

When I turned, Satyaki was looking at me in an amused way.

"Aren't you supposed to be a pilot?"

I rolled my eyes. "Try cooking a homemaker who is used to cooking her own food, a meal once. She'll also eat like it is her first time eating."

"True. I guess if someone tries diagnosing me, I'd have a similar reaction. What were you thinking though while observing the city lights so carefully?"

I hesitated. What if it sounds stupid?

"Don't overthink. I won't judge. Nonetheless, if it is too personal you are obviously free to keep your thoughts to yourself."

For some reason, I found myself speaking even before I could realize, "I was thinking if I would be able to take Ma and Baba somewhere, someday by flight. They have never traveled by air."

He urged me to go ahead by a wave of his hand while sipping water.

"Baba is actually partially paralyzed following an ischemic stroke. Ma stays by his side all day. Moreover one of her kidneys is not functioning properly, so she undergoes dialysis once every week. It is not really feasible to take them anywhere in their current state. Jokhon swastha chhilo tokhon ortho chhilo na aar ekhon jokhon aarthik samartha aache tokhon sharirik samartha nei ( When there was heath, I did not earn and now when I have the money, they do not have the physical power to go anywhere)." I whispered softly, a lump appearing in my throat

"Hemiplegia (paralysis of one side of the body)?" he asked me

I nodded turning to the other side to blink away my tears

"An ischemic stroke isn't so highly non-treatable, Anindita. With regular physiotherapy, there's always hope that he will be able to walk and perform normal activities without support." he explained me 

I composed myself and turned to face him again, "Enough about me and my family. Tell me something about yours. I don't mean to pry but I actually saw toys in your Duty Free Bags, so?" 

He smiled slightly, his eyes softening as he spoke, "They are for my daughter. She is 6 years old."

I looked at him tenderly. Gone was the doctor, the man afraid of dying and a loving father had replaced him. 

"Why is she not accompanying you?" 

"I went to New York City for a medicinal seminar. She is at home with her grandmother i.e., my mother. I do wish to travel with her someday soon though but not when I am at work of course. I want to give her the entire world." he told me, his voice laced with emotion towards the end

I was tempted to ask him about his wife but I didn't. One cannot judge how delicate the skin surrounding a concealed scar maybe and I don't know what could potentially hurt him by digging old graves unintentionally. 

"So, does your daughter look like you?" I asked him with a smile

"Why don't you see and judge for yourself?" he said and unlocked his  iphone. Opening the Gallery on his phone, he tapped and swiped a couple of times; probably looking for the right photo. He handed me his phone and I took a look at her face for the first time, with eagerness. A moment later, I gasped aloud and blinked my eyes before seeing the picture again, tapping and tapping again for confirming.

I looked up only to see Satyaki looking back at me, almost like he had anticipated my reaction. His eyes were glossy with unshed tears.

"Satyaki..." I began, calling him by his name for the first time, "... How?"

To be continued...    

PUBLISHED ON: April 8, 2020

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro