9. Friends?

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

"True friendship is the purest form of love; the love which will look for something beyond materialistic wealth and looks. True friendship means finding solace in togetherness, even in poverty."

-Elegiac_Damsel

_______

30th May

Third person's p.o.v.:

Agamani did not bother to answer Anindita. She fixed her gaze on the ground and began spooning mouthfuls of the cooked pasta into her mouth, at an incredible pace. Anindita sighed and caught hold of the girl's arms and spoke to her gently, "Don't eat in such a haste! Chew properly. You might choke on your food, baby."

The innocent soul looked up feeling the affection in the woman's voice. She had secrets that had been concealed from everyone around. She had her father who loved her unto infinity and she had an indulging grandmother, but she missed a mother who would correct her at such moments. She allowed Anindita to wipe the sauce that she had on her lips and chin even as she felt disturbed at her question.

"Auntie, did you have friends in school?" she asked in a small voice

Unsure, Anindita replied in the affirmative. There had been awkward moments in her life and several occasions during which she had been rendered lonely, but she did have classmates who could be called 'friends'. She waited for the girl to continue speaking but she did not.

Satyaki entered the kitchen then, only to inform his daughter, "Dugga, I need to go to the hospital once. Please go to sleep on time. We'll play together tomorrow." He kissed his daughter on the forehead and waved at her. Anindita nodded in acknowledgement when Satyaki waved her a goodbye too.

Agamani chose to go to her room after keeping the empty bowl in the kitchen sink, "I want to draw something. Bye Auntie." The door to her room slammed shut even before Anindita could ask her anything or protest. She felt certain that the little girl had purposely chosen to ignore her question. She took her handbag from the kitchen island and walked into the living room. Satyaki's mother was reading something. Anindita was about to go and tell her that she was leaving when she chose to speak, "My child, I know you come here to meet my granddaughter, but can you spare me some time too? I feel lonely sometimes."

Anindita smiled and took a seat next to her on the sofa, in reply to her plea.

"Tell me something about your family, child." the elderly woman asked her while wiping her spectacles

Anindita spoke briefly of her parents, her older brother, sister in-law, nephews and cousin sister. She told her how Aparajita's parents had passed away years ago and that the two cousins grew up together. She chose to keep details about her equation with Anurag to herself. The older woman relaxed in Anindita's company and spoke of her granddaughter with utmost fondness. Anindita discovered what the girl's favorite dishes were and also that she loved listening to music like her father. She felt herself warming up to the older woman who in many ways represented her own mother.

At 8, she decided to leave as she had to return home. She had to buy her father's medicines and check the weekly report his physiotherapist left for her on Saturdays. She bid farewell to Satyaki's mother and drove back home. While purchasing her father's medicines at the local pharmacy, she decided to buy some sedatives and analgesics as she had a feeling she would be needing them.

2nd June

Anindita was scheduled to fly out of the country the next day. She wouldn't be home till the 7th which meant she would have to skip meeting Agamani. Deciding to meet her after her training session at B.K.C., Anindita typed a message to Satyaki asking him if it would be fine for her to meet his daughter sometime in the evening. Receiving an approval, Anindita waited till 5 p.m. for the session to conclude.

Agamani was in the kitchen with her grandmother when the doorbell rang. Rushing to the security screen which allowed her to see who was at the door, she saw Anindita waiting. Her father was obviously at the hospital like all weekdays. She proceeded to open the door after her grandmother allowed her.

"Hello Anindita Auntie. Come in. How are you doing?"

"Hello sweetheart. I am going to be out of the country this week, that is why I decided to come and meet you early this week. I am doing well. And you?" Anindita replied with a tentative smile

"Let's go inside and talk and play, Auntie." Saying so, Agamani took the woman by her arm and ushered her inside her room. She removed a few storybooks from her bed and cleared enough space for the two of them to sit. Anindita allowed the girl to talk to her about her new class and new teacher. The school had just re-opened and Agamani wanted to make sure she shared all details with Anindita.

Anindita interrupted her chatter only when the girl paused for a breath, "Agamani, I need to speak to you regarding something and it is important."

It was only then that Agamani noticed a serious and distant expression on Anindita's face. She became aware of the solemnity in her demeanor. It seemed odd and totally contradictory to what she had seen in Anindita till now.

Anindita pulled the girl into her embrace gently and made her face herself, "You chose not to say anything about your friends in school that day, I respected that. I did not say anything to your father either, because I want you to reveal everything by yourself. What is wrong baby? Did your friend and you have a fight? Did someone at school scold you for talking during class? Please tell me, sweetheart. What happened?"

Agamani could sense the sincere warmth in the older woman's voice. A part of her felt that Anindita would be able to relate and understand her situation at school. Her eyes looked at the woman who held her so lovingly, yet firmly. Her hand went up to touch Anindita's face. She felt the jaggedness of the skin on her cheeks. It felt exactly like her own skin. She took a deep breath and asked, "Does it hurt you, Auntie?"

Anindita could practically feel her heart skip a beat when the kid touched her face. It seemed to her like the girl was trying to look for her own reflection in Anindita. She felt the tiny hands glide over her uneven skin. It had been years since anyone had paused to look at her so keenly. Agamani's soft palms felt so contrasting to the texture of Anindita's skin and her question felt soothing to the woman's ears.

"No darling. It doesn't hurt. Not anymore." she whispered quietly, reassuring the child

"I have no friends, Auntie." she confessed finally, dropping her hands down to her lap, her eyes downcast

Anindita sucked in a breath. How can a school going child who had started 1st grade barely a day ago, not have friends? Every school kid enjoys these few years of elementary schools simply learning with friends, not caring about competition and examination results. These carefree years are essential in every child's life. How can Agamani be deprived of this?

"Why sweetheart? Aamay bolbe na ma (Will you not share with me, dear)?" Anindita asked the little girl in her arms

Perhaps it was the unadulterated emotion in her eyes or perhaps it was the endearment used in her mother tongue, that made Agamani feel assured.

She threw her arms around Anindita's neck and scooted closer to her. Her shoulders slumped and her lips trembled as she choked out, ".... no...one... is... my friend. Ever...y...one is...sc...scared of me. They think... they will start looking like... like... me... if... they...come near me.... Aamar saathe keu kotha bole na! Aamay schhol e eka boshte hoe! (No one speaks to me at school. I have to always sit alone in class.)" Anindita felt her trembling body clinging to herself tightly. A wetness on her shoulder made her aware of the shell Agamani had built around herself, gradually breaking. She rubbed the girl's back slowly, in an attempt to calm her down. But she did not stop the girl from crying; she knew venting out was certainly essential.

Agamani cried out for 10 minutes. Anindita held her firmly, till she felt Agamani's hold around herself loosening. Her eyes and nose were red and the traces of her recent breakdown remained in the form of dried tear stains on her cheeks. Anindita reached out to the glass of water that was kept on the bedside table. She lifted the glass to the little girl's lips and tipped it slightly for the water to enter her mouth, drop by drop. Agamani sipped the water eagerly as her parched throat welcomed the moisture.

It was only after Anindita had wiped her tears that she decided to speak up in response to Agamani's confession, "Did you not tell your teacher or your father?"

Agamani shook her little head, "Papa is also alone. Thamma told me Mumma and Papa were the best of friends. He is already lonely and sad after losing his best friend, so why should I give him more pain?"

Her words spoke heights about her maturity and wisdom. Anindita though surprised, could make out that her thoughts and mind had developed much faster as compared to her contemporaries, considering the odds that she had been subjected to. Satyaki had been right about his daughter. She is quiet and reserved; too reserved even for her father.

"Have you ever tried to befriend them? Did you try to talking to them?" she asked further

"I did. I even tried to share my tiffin with them. They were scared." she replied

Anindita fell silent for a moment. She did not feel any resentment towards Agamani's classmates. They too were children after all! Their world revolved around playing, learning, games and angels and demons. Their definition of good and bad corresponded to the difference between beautiful and ugly. They probably do not realize how their behavior affected the little soul. Had Agamani been a normal child, she would have perhaps reacted the same way towards someone else.

Anindita weaved her hand through Agamani's hair soothingly as her head rested on her shoulder. She was immersed in deep thought for a while. At length, she asked Agamani to look up. The little girl obliged humming.

"Yes Auntie?"

"Baby, is there anyone else in your class who doesn't have friends? Or someone who is very quiet and reluctant to speak?" she asked her as an idea came to her mind

Agamani counted something with the help of her tiny fingers and then replied, "There is one boy who is very fat. No one likes talking to him much as they say he will eat all their food."

Anindita bit her lower lip to suppress the twitching of her lips. This reminded her of her own childhood and schooldays. Harmless teasing and joking which eventually gave way to serious crimes like body-shaming! Not to mention the pessimistic effect that it had on the child who was teased.

"Then there is a boy who has only one pencil box and always borrows stationary from us. He has torn books and everyone says he is in our school due to some charty." she finished

"It is charity. Not charty. And you shouldn't say anything like this." Anindita corrected her. Her voice becoming a bit grim at the end as she was able to relate to the kid's situation. He probably came from a family where his parents could just afford to send him to school. The books were possibly second-hand. The kids who came from richer families looked down upon him and called him a charity case. Anindita felt her own heart constricting. She had been one such kid at a private school. She knew how much her parents had to do in order to afford her education and her brother's at private schools. The kids had no right to call anyone a 'charity case'. The boy's parents had obviously tried their level best to give him all that they could afford.

Children; innocent ones at that were so badly influenced by all kinds of societal evils. Agamani and the two boys were just three victims out of the several thousands in the world.

"Sweetheart, why don't you try and talk to the two boys tomorrow in school? Help them with homework. Share your tiffin and stationary with them. Talk to them" Anindita advised Agamani

Agamani's features crunched up as she looked confused. And then she spoke with a grimace, "Why should I talk to them when no one does?"

Anindita inhaled deeply. She did not enjoy chattering and answering unlimited queries for the little girl was something quite difficult for her. She managed to smile and tapped Agamani's nose playfully, "They would be very happy to become friends with you. You already know how lonely it is without friends. Baby, they feel the same way. And if others do the wrong thing by not talking to them, would you do the same?"

Agamani shook her head vigorously. She definitely originated from an educated and financially well off family. The idea of befriending other friendless outcasts, such as herself had never occurred to her.

"And sweetheart, I would like you to inculcate in yourself right from this moment. Friendship is not something that is based on looks, money or qualities. Yes you need to make the right friends.... But you do not decide right and wrong based on all that. Okay?" Anindita asked Agamani firmly

The girl nodded in affirmation and then tilted her head to the side, "But what does inc...alc...te mean?"

"Inculcate: I-N-C-U-L-C-A-T-E. It means to know, remember and practice. With all your heart. Always. Promise?"

And a tiny little finger entwined with the woman's little finger and a sweet voice punctuated the action, "Promise."

Anindita's point of view:

Agamani's secret jolted me! A child without friends? How unfortunate can her life become? She cried her heart out today and I can make out what kind of pain she must have suffered through. I have been lonely and friendless too, following the mishap 8 years ago. It is partially my own fault that I stopped interacting freely; but I am definitely not an alien to living the life of an outcast. I need to speak to Satyaki. His daughter has begun harboring deep secrets too early on in her life. He needs to know what she told me today.

Agamani promised that she would try and speak to the other 'outcasts' in her class. Once she started smiling and seemed steady following her emotional outburst and confessions; the two of us played Ludo. Her grandmother joined us later and I stayed on till about 8 p.m. I got up to leave only after she had been done with her dinner. Even though I had packing to do, I stayed on to narrate a story while her grandmother fed her. It seemed so right and homely. The little girl who I barely met a few weeks ago has become so important to me.

"Where are you flying tomorrow, Anindita Auntie?" she asked me

"I am going to Amsterdam via Dubai, sweetheart." I replied

Right before I bid her farewell for the day, I took her hand in mine and told her, "Sweetheart, I don't have any friends either. Will you please give me the honor of becoming friends with you?"

"Friends?" she asked me disbelievingly

I nodded and she threw her arms around my neck in reply and then she whispered in my ears sweetly, "Have a safe journey. I will wait for you Friend. And I will miss you."

Your friend will miss you so much more, darling. She has to be safe, healthy and alive for the sake of her parents, for all the passengers and now, you. 

To be continued...

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro