#21 Journey Through the City

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

We were obviously fatigued when I was awoken by Steve at ten in the morning who had already taken a shower and was ready for the day. He urged me to take a shower and get ready because he wanted to take me somewhere special for brunch, or by the time we got there, it would be lunch. My stomach was unbelievably hungry and wasted no time getting ready. Today was the first time I was wearing my yellow dotted dress that Avery told me about. I felt amazing. Once we were outside, an Uber was waiting for us which sped across the 101 and led us into Scottsdale and straight to Portillo's Hot Dogs. In all that time, I didn't see much of Scottsdale, but it became obvious that this was a rich people's community. Portillo's looked like an upscale fifties diner. In some ways, it also reminded me of a few sci-fi films. Upon walking in, I never felt so much joy before. This was Heaven on Earth. There were so many booths and tables. The tables had table cloths with blue and white square patterns. The floor looked like polished bricks. Signs with names of different foods plastered to the walls. Everything felt very Chicago like. Before last night, I would never have been able to say that until I met that man from Chicago.

"Can you believe I never took Savannah here before?" he asked.

He never took her here? How was that possible? They went to Arizona State together. They could have easily come here together. All I knew is that she would've loved this place.

"Every Sunday Night, we would have a guy's night here. It never crossed me to take her here."

Steve ordered the Jumbo Chili Cheese Dog with a side of fries while I ordered the Char-Grilled Maxwell Street Polish Sausage with a side of fries. Today I would be breaking my diet. We sat down, said grace, and ate. Honestly, after taking my first bite, I realized this was the juiciest and smoothest hot dog that ever came to my mouth. There was no way I could hold a conversation now. Lunch was beyond belief. Once we were done, we just sat there in silence for about ten minutes until we were ready to leave.

Our Uber took us back on the 101 and into another part of Scottsdale that seemed richer than what I saw earlier. There were so many upscale restaurants that we passed by. It was unbelievable. One restaurant that caught my interest was Culinary Dropout. One had to wonder if this place was started by culinary school dropouts. Seconds after passing by the place, we were about to enter Fashion Square Mall. The entrance felt like I was entering another land. I almost felt like I didn't belong there when I went through the tunnel. I've heard amazing things about the Mall of America and this felt like it could come close if they put in a little more effort. So many floors and stores. It would almost be impossible to get through all of them in a day, but we tried. Every time I tried on clothes, Steve tried to embarrass me by trying on woman's clothes and act like a woman. He really was in an interesting mood. Never had I seen him so cheery and excited like he had forgotten that his wife and daughter never died. Who could blame him? At one point, we came across a restaurant which was Papa Llama. This was it. This is what he wanted to show me. I almost felt like I was in China looking at it. The dragon art was beautiful. Unfortunately, the place was locked so we couldn't get in. It was probably for the best. The day was getting late and the sun was getting close to begin setting.

"Ready to visit Arizona State?"

We got back in an Uber which took us to Arizona State in Tempe. Was I nervous to be stepping foot at the school where my sister went? A little. The uber dropped us off at the University Bridge where 'ASU' was engraved on the bridge. My heart sunk. The streets were packed with college students getting to where they needed to be which according to Steve was the Friday Night Scene all over Mill Avenue. It wasn't long ago since I was in college, for some reason this whole experience felt new to me. Within a couple minutes one of Steve's Old Friends showed up in a golf cart and handed it over to him. Here Steve was, driving a golf cart around campus.

"How did you manage to pull this off?" I asked.

"I gave tours during my last two years here. I was a busy man."

He showed me around the different spots acting like a tour guide. There was one spot he seemed a little hesitant to show me was Cady Fountain. It was essentially like any other fountain only it was square shaped and there were three steps you had to take. It seemed like a nice and relaxing spot for college students to hang out.

"This is where I proposed to Savannah."

I couldn't believe it. I've seen the picture of him proposing to her and here I was at the spot it happened.

Steve and Savannah had just gotten back from a date at Pita Jungle. They both whistled the song "We Will Rock You." Steve kept messing up, but Savannah seemed like a pro.

"You know you really do suck at whistling, but at least your cooking is improving. The spaghetti that we had last night was really good."

"That was leftover spaghetti from Olive Garden. All I did was heat it up and put a little garlic on it."

She laughed. "And that's why it was good."

"Oh, it is that why?" he commented in a flirty way as he pushed Savannah in the fountain.

She smiled while she sat in the water. "Oh, you're so dead." She was able to push Steve into the fountain leading to a laugh-filled wrestling match. It wasn't long until they grew tired with Savannah lying on top of Steve while they were still in the water.

"I love you, you know?" claimed Savannah.

"I love you too babe," he kissed her.

They continued to kiss each other for about another minute while about three people passed by. One of the people included Sabrina who had secretly taken the picture. After the minute, they got out of the water to dry off without any towels. The only way to dry off was to sit there and wait. Steve couldn't wait any longer and stood up.

"You know babe, there is something I've been wanting to tell you." He kneeled, and she screamed and cried losing control of herself in joy. "Savannah, we've been together a few years now and we've been through a lot." His hand reached into his pocket. "I was going to wait until we graduated, but I can't wait any longer." The box was out of his pocket. "And I'm pretty sure you can't wait any longer." The box was opened with a ring in clear site. "Savannah will you do me the honor of being my wife?"

She stood up and screamed. "Yes!" Never had there been a scream so loud until that day. Once she calmed down, she hugged him tightly. "I love you, you know?"

After they hugged and kissed a couple of minutes, they took a little walk and found a group of people.

"Hey everyone!" shouted Steve. "We're engaged!"

Savannah lifted her ring and the crowd roared in applause.

We spent the next hour going around the campus as I was shown literally everything about this campus. Steve must've been a good tour guide to explain everything so well in an hour. Our last stop was 'A' Mountain which had an 'A' at the top of the mountain. Clouds were getting darker and bigger when we began our hike. It was an easy hike that took about twenty-five minutes. Once we reached the 'A' we sat down and rested looking at the greatness of Tempe. The first raindrop fell on my head. A few more raindrops fell. Before long, it was raining moderately. We witnessed a few lightning strikes which for whatever reason didn't scare us off.

"Remember that time I picked you up in the rain?" asked Steve.

"How could I forget?"

It sounds like they're having a great time!

Are you hungry after reading about the meal at Portillo's? I know some of you probably are as you've commented in the past. Does the city sound amazing? What do you think happened when Steve picked up Margo in the rain? Comment and vote!

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro